• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bii

Secret Wars #1

wy10m5g.jpg

For those that haven't read it yet, I suggest reading New Avengers #33/Avengers #44 prior to Secret Wars #1. You would be lost the first few pages. Then again, you might be lost throughout the entire issue since there's so much going on.

The Ultimate universe and Earth-616 is on a collision course and a war breaks out. It's about as much as I can say without spoiling anything. I'm definitely on board for this event; I'll probably have to go back to my LCS to add it to my pull list.

And the paper used for the cover? Feels good man.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
RIP The Marvel Universe.

I am thinking about dropping out of Secret Wars. I had no idea what the hell was going in the book. Should wait until Ive read Hickmann Avengers...

read side stories(like world war hulk and ghost racers....) and enjoy the rides

The belief as of now is that the person in the suit is a founding member of the Avengers. There is a reference to how the Avengers got their name by the person in the suit. My money's on Pym, but it could be any of a few.

He's busy moping in space.

It's a depowered Banner.

#belieeeeev

tim1138

What if the new Iron Man is the shark Carol punches in A-Force? It's back for revenge by infiltrating the All-New, All Different Avengers!

fauxtrot

Banned
Damnit guys, I haven't read much of Hickman's stuff and now I don't know if I should start with FF or NA/A to work my way toward Secret Wars...

Hey ComicGAF! I'm sort of getting into comics again (used to collect a few spider-man issues when in primary school) and picked up issues 3 + 4 of Spider-Gwen today (issues 1 + 2 are in the post).
I saw the covers and instantly knew I needed it

I was wondering what comics are kind of "easy reading"/something I can just chill and read? My friend recommended me the Ms. Marvel and Hawkeye series so I'll probably give both of them a try soon. I'm also a sucker for nice artwork but mainly prefer a relaxing/charming vibe

Thanks if you can help!

Bii

Hey ComicGAF! I'm sort of getting into comics again (used to collect a few spider-man issues when in primary school) and picked up issues 3 + 4 of Spider-Gwen today (issues 1 + 2 are in the post).

I was wondering what comics are kind of "easy reading"/something I can just chill and read? My friend recommended me the Ms. Marvel and Hawkeye series so I'll probably give both of them a try soon. I'm also a sucker for nice artwork but mainly prefer a relaxing/charming vibe

Thanks if you can help!

Since you're sticking to Marvel, yes, Ms. Marvel and Hawkeye are self-contained stories that are easy to start and catch up with. I would also recommend Mark Waid's Daredevil (2011-present).

I suggest getting a Marvel Unlimited sub for a month for free (use promo code ULTRON at checkout): http://marvel.com/ultron
Just make sure you cancel before your sub ends, otherwise, it will auto renew. There's a 6-month delay on new issues but you can start catching up.

Thanks if you can help!

Hawkeye is definitely a good choice, can't go wrong with that.

For ongoings try:
Ant-Man
Silk
The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
Gotham Academy

For finished series try:
The Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Power Girl: Power Trip

I see Bii already suggested Daredevil by Mark Waid, that's some top tier reading as well.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
A/NA is as much of a "sequel" to F4/FF as Uncanny Avengers is a "sequel" to Uncanny X-Force

you really should read F4/FF first since a lot of Hickman's multiverse ideas start there. Also, its amazing

edit: also screw you guys and your Secret Wars, im gonna read Axis

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
A/NA is as much of a "sequel" to F4/FF as Uncanny Avengers is a "sequel" to Uncanny X-Force

you really should read F4/FF first since a lot of Hickman's multiverse ideas start there. Also, its amazing

WHY

See people? This is what comes from idolizing Hickman. Your tastes and sensibilities erode away and you start reading Axis.

Deliberately!

Do not stray from the one true Morrison.

tim1138

Does anyone know if those new hardcover releases for Avengers and New Avengers come with digital codes? I haven't bought a Marvel hardcover in forever.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You sure? Rage had a code. P sure their newest books come with them.
Yeah, forget OGNs.

OGNs and Events come with digital codes. OHCs of regular series dont come with ine of those.

Edit : At least when we speak about Oversized Books. Regular Asized still have codes.
And yeah, it makes no sense.

Does anyone know if those new hardcover releases for Avengers and New Avengers come with digital codes? I haven't bought a Marvel hardcover in forever.
From what I've observed:
- premiere (regular) hardcovers come with a digital copy. Like 100% of the time.
- OGNs come with a digital copy.
- oversized hardcovers and omnibuses only come with a digital copy when collecting a recent event. That means Age of Ultron, Avengers vs X-Men, Infinity, Original Sin (?) and Axis (?) had one, Secret Wars II or Infinity Gauntlet didn't and neither did Daredevil, Hawkguy or New Avengers OSHCs.

(The ? are cases where I haven't checked myself but I'm 99% sure they did)

tim1138

Descender, Zero, and God Hates Astronauts were all terrific this month. In case y'all forgot something other than Secret Wars came out this week.

Zombine

Banned
Got the Amanda Conner Variant of SW #1 ^_^

Got home and found my Marvel Collector Corp box waiting for me. Man is it badass.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
zztZCts.jpg

Wuh thu fuh?

It thought this was someone telling Spiderman no no fuck you ese lol...but its signs on buildings..

Still...

Oh yeah, that's from the Ghostrider crossover issue, right, ese?

Also, pretty obviously a play on Momofuku and I hope twitter doesn't get ahold of this one.

I don't really get the Hickman comparisons. I think, like Remender or Kot, that he's his very own thing.

The only two things he really shares with Morrison IMO are his love of making a huge jigsaw falling into place (in a more linear and analytical way than Morrison IMO) and his apparent love of imagination and high concepts (but Hickman is more science oriented) but these are very generic traits.

Still, all these guys are great writers.

I don't really get the Hickman comparisons. I think, like Remender or Kot, that he's his very own thing.

The only two things he really shares with Morrison IMO are his love of making a huge jigsaw falling into place (in a more linear and analytical way than Morrison IMO) and his apparent love of imagination and high concepts (but Hickman is more science oriented) but these are very generic traits.

Still, all these guys are great writers.

No doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom