• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so correct me if im wrong, but we have no fucking clue about ANY books post-secret wars, except that All New Avengers correct?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
so correct me if im wrong, but we have no fucking clue about ANY books post-secret wars, except that All New Avengers correct?
We know that Future Imperfect, 2099, and some other Multiverse books will be released.

Regarding characters, we know nothing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
We know that Future Imperfect, 2099, and some other Multiverse books will be released.

exciting!

dont get me wrong, im sure there will be a Spiderman comic and a X-Men comic and a Hulk comic etc, but still, what those are exactly... like I said, exciting

So I read Secret Wars #1

I have no idea whats going on.

Is there some TL;DR backstory to assist me

For example:

why is 1610 attacking 616?

Why would you kill Rocket. I feel great anger.

Those books are being released after secret wars? Link?

Character wise, Remender seems to think Rage takes place after secret wars, but no one else has confirmed it.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Or
How Thor lost his arm
Where the phoenix egg came from

etc....lots of big, unanswered questions from this time period and I would be pissed if they just left them on the table. So I'm gonna say yeah, eventually there is going to be a book where all of these questions get answered.

Didnt Malekith cut it off in his solo series

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
So I read Secret Wars #1

For example:

Incursions. Destroy one Earth, save the other. Only 2 Earths remain, Ultimate and 616.

Rhaknar

So I read Secret Wars #1

For example:

if you havent read Avengers / New Avengers... well, why are you reading Secret Wars?

no, really

tim1138

Yeah, I dug the GA preview. Writing wasn't Lemire tier, but I thought dude did a good job capturing the feeling of "what the fuck do I want to do with my life?" roadtrip.
I'd rank this week's previews:

Amazing:
Midnighter

Really good:
Prez

Solid:
Omega Men
Green Arrow

Meh:
Starfire

So bad I already blocked them from memory:
Red Hood
Doomed

Rhaknar

I like marvel events, even when i have no idea whats happening...

fair enough

long story very short: multiple universes are colliding with each other and a secret group of avengers (and later not so avengers) have been dealing with it by... blowing up alternate earths so it doesnt collide with theirs. 616 and the ultimate one are aparently the last 2 left

guavatin

Banned
So I read Secret Wars #1

For example:

I would check out the youtube channel ComicsExplained.

They have a rundown of everything leading up to secret wars that's really helpful.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yo, at my shop, I asked if my 5 dollar marvel comic came with a map or a cool Skottie Young print and I got a bunch of "dont know"s and "nah"s. Brb while I check ebay for employees selling hundreds of maps and prints.

Rhaknar

whos on art duty for Secret Wars btw?

Deodato? Kubert?

Land?

Tizoc

Overall art in Secret Wars 1 was good, although some faces were down right weird.

I figured the story from the onset, but damn this ish is dark.

I don't like the idea that worlds are 'dieing', and as is, find it pointless to compare it to Morrison's work, until the entire event is over.

Rhaknar

Lol

Ribic, dude. Dude changed the game this time.

I dont know who ribic is... do I? Maybe I do, im terrible with names. im sure ive seen some of his stuff in the almost 1000 issues ive read since subbing to MU

I finally read the previews for Omega Men and Green Lantern. Not sure it was a smart move to release these previews. Omega Men was so fucking stupid I'd change my name if I had worked on that trash. GL honestly looked very mediocre.

Secret wars

Guys

Where were cap and tony?
(Avengers 44 spoilers)
Too busy fighting each other. These two assholes deserve each other.

Overall art in Secret Wars 1 was good, although some faces were down right weird.

I figured the story from the onset, but damn this ish is dark.

I don't like the idea that worlds are 'dieing', and as is, find it pointless to compare it to Morrison's work, until the entire event is over.
I think the comparisons came from the 80 issues that came before, not that I particularly agree with them.

Tizoc

I finally read the previews for Omega Men and Green Lantern. Not sure it was a smart move to release these previews. Omega Men was so fucking stupid I'd change my name if I had worked on that trash. GL honestly looked very mediocre.

(Avengers 44 spoilers)
Too busy fighting each other. These two assholes deserve each other.

I think the comparisons came from the 80 issues that came before, not that I particularly agree with them.

Aaaaaaaaaah, then I spoke too soon; I didn't read Hickman's Avengers run as it never interested me early on so I skipped it :p Didn't help that his run focused more on the story/events than characters, or at least that's a criticism I heard about it.

Just re read the end of the last Avengers. Looks like they really did die. (No need to spoiler tag last weeks books, right?)
Yeah. There's like a 1610 plane falling on them in that last shot.
Hence my earlier commentary: post-Infinity, Steve has been completely useless and counterproductive. Tony is a lying murderer but at least he was useful to repel that alien invasion by genociding them. Steve yelled so much at the clouds they died of boredom.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'll see what I can do.

giphy.gif

Convergence Harley Quinn is probably going to be my favorite of all the Convergence titles. With the addition of Captain Carrot, the book was just a fun Loony Toon in the DC Universe.

Yo, at my shop, I asked if my 5 dollar marvel comic came with a map or a cool Skottie Young print and I got a bunch of "dont know"s and "nah"s. Brb while I check ebay for employees selling hundreds of maps and prints.

Lol

My kid took off with both.

He was playing some fake Risk thing with his amiibo finitys or something on it.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Hence my earlier commentary: post-Infinity, Steve has been completely useless and counterproductive. Tony is a lying murderer but at least he was useful to repel that alien invasion by genociding them. Steve yelled so much at the clouds they died of boredom.

and doomed the universe.

well it was already doomed, but it would have been interesting to see what would have happened

Starman #75 - #80 Well, that wraps it up. What a ride. The last 6 chapters felt like an epilogue of sorts and there were a few confusing moments for me
referring to Starman's JSA time I guess. I haven't read any of that.
and
the Zatara business at the end
. But other than that, the perfect end
. All loose ends tied up. Quick look-in visit to everyone. And a the beginning of a long drive.

Starman #81: Eh?

Messi

Didn't buy Harley Convergence #2 after the first issue, can't wait for Jimmy and Amanda to be back. Only buying the Question now.

Rhaknar

so...Axis 1-3 (and Magneto 11 while im at it)

This is kinda shit lol. Red Onslaught looks terrible, like a 90s edgy version of Onslaught (oh he has horns and tentacles, because those are evil!), as if Onslaught himself wasnt already a edgy 90s creation. And he doesnt do anything, he just stands there with a couple of sentinels aparently capturing heroes (and only heroes to allow for the twist of magneto recruiting all those villains) instead of killing them (lol why). There is no sense of danger or urgency, unlike the original Onslaught which I thought did a good job of being menacing (or maybe I was just much younger)

Meanwhile the writing is terrible, everyone is making jokes all the time (like, seriously, everyone is trying to be spiderman or deadpool), including the villains when they show up. what the fuck happened to Remender?

And to cap it off it ends (i know its not over) with a Wanda inversion spell which since I know the whole thing is about heroes and villains being inverted, means she fucked up...AGAIN. Oh and to back off a bit, speaking of the villains, why the FUCK would most of them even follow Magneto...why would Carnage of all people go help him do anything at all. Ugh. OH and how the FUCK is Red Skull alive when the smoke clears and Onslaught is gone, if Magneto killed him by squishing his head with a rock? Good lord Remender...

This is NOT the payoff to Uncanny X-Force / Avengers we deserved. Anyway, that first bit is done with so now the whole Inversion stuff is up, maybe thats at least fun. I hear the Hobgoblin and Carnage books are good at least right?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Secret Wars #1 was bananas, what an insane lead up from FF/F4 through A/NA and finally here.

Question: What great comics' series' ended within the last couple years? Any publisher.

Rhaknar

Secret Wars #1 was bananas, what an insane lead up from FF/F4 through A/NA and finally here.

Question: What great comics' series' ended within the last couple years? Any publisher.

Superior Foes of Spiderman, Secret Avengers, Hawkeye (lol its not over)

Dean-Winchester-Sheds-A-Tear-On-Supernatural.gif

edit: Wolverine and the motherfucking X-Men (volume 1 only)

So did Steve.

Someone forgot his pre-infinity events.

This is NOT the payoff to Uncanny X-Force / Avengers we deserved. Anyway, that first bit is done with so now the whole Inversion stuff is up, maybe thats at least fun. I hear the Hobgoblin and Carnage books are good at least right?

By Axis standards. Hobgobs is ok, and carnage is simply not terrible. If you're getting angry at everybody being a joker, avoid both like the plague.

its gets worse somehow

don't believe me just watch
In retrospect, it's incredible that things would manage to go downhill from there.
The whole concentration camp was beyond on the nose and yet, there's still this weird dialogue where everyone is uneasy that a fucking nazi got killed in a fucking concentration camp.

So did Steve.

Someone forgot his pre-infinity events.
Hence the "post-infinity" mention in my post. Steve used to be a useful genocider.

Azarello and Chiang's Wonder Woman? There were a few positive impressions in this thread and I have been meaning to read that. But I need to find and complete Rucka's run first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom