• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
here's your banner
IfItk7o.png

Amazing.

This is amazing, but it lacks anime kissing.

I'm sorry, I don't keep images of those :/

I chose the image of Takane on the left because she looks really happy and it will make you feel better after seeing some of the violent acts in Stray Bullets. Ritsuko is there because she has guns and guns = bullets

tim1138

I chose the image of Takane on the left because she looks really happy and it will make you feel better after seeing some of the violent acts in Stray Bullets. Ritsuko is there because she has guns and guns = bullets

I think Spike should let you make the banners for these threads going forward.

PsychBat!

Banned
So I bought three copies of Secret Wars #1.

All three of them have a digital code. I'm giving one to gketter and the other two are yet to be given away. First comes, first served.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Omg go read the Xfactor series before that. Starting with the Madrox mini.

I've started it, stopped on issue 10. Don't ask me why I stopped, it's amazing.

In fact that's something I need to stop doing, starting old series and then stopping, when I get back to them I can't remember it at all.

It's not so bad with x-factor since I read a few, but off the top of my head, series where I read the first issue only:

Agent Venom, Avengers Academy, Kevin Smith Daredevil, Mighty Avengers (2007 not the current), Kid Nova.

Now when I go back to them I might aswell just read the first issue again but fuck me if I remember any of those

Or
How Thor lost his arm
Where the phoenix egg came from

etc....lots of big, unanswered questions from this time period and I would be pissed if they just left them on the table. So I'm gonna say yeah, eventually there is going to be a book where all of these questions get answered.
Malekith cut his arm off with jarnbjorn in Thor. They showed it.

Material is an ongoing, but that's kind of fucking crazy because he'll ostensibly have: Wolf, Surface, Material, and I remember a Valiant mini called Dead Drops. That's not including any Marvel work he may take on.

I remember reading in one of his interviews that Zero, SA, and Bucky form a sort of War Trinity of books. They're all linked to his ideas about war, and Zero is the most serious and grave; Secret Avengers is the most goofy and fun; and Bucky is in the middle, straddling between serious and silly. So you're totally right!
Hah, I'm not entirely crazy, thanks.
I feel a bit dumb writing that but out of the three, Zero seems the least approachable. Not that any issue is hard to understand by itself, but the way the book changes trajectories every now and then, it seems almost necessary to reread everything from the beginning, just to shed on a new light on it and have a better grasp of the whole picture.

here's your banner
IfItk7o.png
This is amazing.

Messi

Your logic is sound. Great job.

--

Anyone else reading Rumble? I really love this series, the art is fantastic and the fights have real heft to them. Great monster designs and some great character moments/laughs. First arc just ended and the trade is out in June. Some of you should give it a go.

--

Thors arm was cut off in Thor #1 (the current run)

Apt101

I decided to pick up some super hero comics for the first time in many years. I went with Convergence #0 and #1, Amazing Spider-Man #16, and Avengers #44 (or #43?).

I have no clue what's going on in the Marvel U any longer. I couldn't connect to any of the various elseworlds at play in the Avengers. I'm going to have to stop here on this one.

The writing in Convergence #0 was pretty shoddy, and I thought the art was just miserable. Basic technical issues. Flat, bland, and uninspired. I had to power through it. And though the story remained hokey in #1 the writing was better and the art miles above. I'll probably go back and pick up the next few issues in this. The idea of different eras of DC heroes fighting each other sounds like it might be fun.

I haven't read Spider-Man yet. Oh, I forgot I also picked up Convergence Speed Force #1 and #2 because I noticed it was Wally West. The last time I read super hero books he was The Flash, so it was familiar. I haven't read these yet either.

I decided to pick up some super hero comics for the first time in many years. I went with Convergence #0 and #1, Amazing Spider-Man #16, and Avengers #44 (or #43?).

I have no clue what's going on in the Marvel U any longer. I couldn't connect to any of the various elseworlds at play in the Avengers. I'm going to have to stop here on this one.

The writing in Convergence #0 was pretty shoddy, and I thought the art was just miserable. Basic technical issues. Flat, bland, and uninspired. I had to power through it. And though the story remained hokey in #1 the writing was better and the art miles above. I'll probably go back and pick up the next few issues in this. The idea of different eras of DC heroes fighting each other sounds like it might be fun.

I haven't read Spider-Man yet. Oh, I forgot I also picked up Convergence Speed Force #1 and #2 because I noticed it was Wally West. The last time I read super hero books he was The Flash, so it was familiar. I haven't read these yet either.

Convergence is a pretty mixed bag. Some of it's great, some of it's miserable. You can tell it's DC burning time.

fauxtrot

Banned
Anyone else reading Rumble? I really love this series, the art is fantastic and the fights have real heft to them. Great monster designs and some great character moments/laughs. First arc just ended and the trade is out in June. Some of you should give it a go.

Rumble has been great and I second this recommendation.

James Harren da gawd:

Malekith cut his arm off with jarnbjorn in Thor. They showed it.

That's obviously what happens, but no they did not, if you want to get technical about it (and I do). He raises the axe, quips about arms, then it cuts away. I've checked twice now. ;P

edit: Oh silly me. I thought you were responding to this post further along the conversation.
edit 2: well, I suppose my point still stands

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
That's obviously what happens, but no they did not, if you want to get technical about it (and I do). He raises the axe, quips about arms, then it cuts away. I've checked twice now. ;P

edit: Oh silly me. I thought you were responding to this post further along the conversation.
edit 2: well, I suppose my point still stands

yeah at first i wasnt even sure it really happened

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Super quick thoughts on some random books:

Rocket Racoon #5 - super cute story all done in "groot speech". Scottie Young only does a few pages but the other artist is actually quite good also (even if he is just trying to emulate Young)

All New X-Factor #15-16: Axis tie ins so they are kinda forgetable, some nice scenes with Snow's wife in #16 and like I said earlier, the Longshot cliffhanger. And the art continues to be fantastic, put this man on a bigger book.

X-Men #21 - the secret best X book that nobody cares about continues to be a ton of fun as the ladies space adventure continues. Brand is my waifu.

Deadpool Classics Killustrated #3-4 - Slightly better than Deadpool kills the MU but I still don't like evil, actually homicidal Deadpool... it's kinda creepy really.

Captain Marvel #9 - love this book, and speaking of blasts from the past, Lila Chaney is in this, talk about random.

Zombine

Banned
What JC isn't telling you is that I get royalties every time that joke is used. I've made enough to buy at least 5 codes off eBay

Servbot24

Banned
We read all comics and graphic novels. What would you like help with?

I'm not sure if this is allowed, but I am making my own graphic novel and am looking for feedback on the story. I don't want to reveal the whole thing online so I figured I'd check if anyone is interested in signing an NDA and reading it. It would involve a bit of reading text as not all the pages are drawn yet.

To briefly describe it, it is a horror story for children (and adults I hope!). Here's a sample of the art: http://i2.minus.com/iqPSEEAs4k060.jpg

Totally understand if this is best asked in a different thread, I can remove this if so. If you'd like to read it just send me a PM though!

Zombine

Banned
I'm not sure if this is allowed, but I am making my own graphic novel and am looking for feedback on the story. I don't want to reveal the whole thing online so I figured I'd check if anyone is interested in signing an NDA and reading it. It would involve a bit of reading as not all the pages are drawn yet.

To briefly describe it, it is a horror story for children (and adults I hope!). Here's a sample of the art: http://i2.minus.com/iqPSEEAs4k060.jpg

Totally understand if this is best asked in a different thread, I can remove this if so. If you'd like to read it just send me a PM though!

Woah that's awesome.

Owzers

I don't know what to read next. I don't want to read a superhero book immediately, because I'll keep comparing it to Starman. Maybe I'll read Adele Blanc-Sec.

What do you mean, "some people".

I've never seen who, as soon as i see something about manga posted i just quickly scroll down so it doesn't take root.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom