• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say about half the Convergence tie in issues I've read have been thoroughly enjoyable. Even things I didn't know what to expect like Adventures of Superman which turned out to be mostly a Pre Crisis Supergirl coming to grips with the realization that if she goes back to "her world" she'd die to the Anti Monitor, but finds the strength to rise up despite that.

I'd say about half the Convergence tie in issues I've read have been thoroughly enjoyable. Even things I didn't know what to expect like Adventures of Superman which turned out to be mostly a Pre Crisis Supergirl coming to grips with the realization that if she goes back to "her world" she'd die to the Anti Monitor, but finds the strength to rise up despite that.

I need to pick those up and the Matrix ones.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
In honor of its death, I just added every single issue #1 of anything with the word Ultimate on it (except spidey and x-men because I already started those) to my MU queue

7f8.gif

Messi

Bravo Greg Rucka. The Question #2 made me tear up. God damn comics sometimes. Rucka is just fantastic at nailing emotional moments . Great two parter that just makes me want more. It will be a crime if Rucka doesn't get to keep going with this. Question, Batwoman and Huntress are such a cool team.

I want to read more Renee Question. Is there more other than the backups in Ruckas Batwoman?

Bravo Greg Rucka. The Question #2 made me tear up. God damn comics sometimes. Rucka is just fantastic at nailing emotional moments . Great two parter that just makes me want more. It will be a crime if Rucka doesn't get to keep going with this. Question, Batwoman and Huntress are such a cool team.

I want to read more Renee Question. Is there more other than the backups in Ruckas Batwoman?

Curious, what'd you think of he art? The artist is a favorite of mine, haven't really seen it discussed much.

There was a series some years back called The Five Books of Blood.

Messi

Curious, what'd you think of he art? The artist is a favorite of mine, haven't really seen it discussed much.

I really like it. I also loved his art during the Batwoman backups. I can see it bring a love hate kind of style though. To me it fits the book.

Messi

Amazing Spiderman 18 wasn't that bad of an ending.
Not the strongest, sure, but it cemented Anna Maria as best girl.

I don't want to read it because once I read it there is no more Anna Maria left* :(. Please don't make her go away Marvel.

*I am assuming the slate being wiped with Secret Wars means Anna is not going to survive.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
For all the Loeb doom and gloom on Nova, he's only on for the first 5 issues, and Duggan starts on issue 10.

Maybe it's because I have no attachment to Richard because I didn't read the cosmic chart stuff but I thought those 5 issues of Kid Nova were fine, completely innofensive

another reason anime was a mistake, it popularized the problematic fetishistic term "best girl"

Tryant Rave, adjust your banner por favor

I don't want to read it because once I read it there is no more Anna Maria left* :(. Please don't make her go away Marvel.

*I am assuming the slate being wiped with Secret Wars means Anna is not going to survive.
She will survive but never mentioned. Then dusted off and thrown in to die as shock value for a Spider-Man event that no one will remember after a year.

(Spider verse treatment of May Parker still upsets me)

another reason anime was a mistake, it popularized the problematic fetishistic term "best girl"

Tryant Rave, adjust your banner por favor

I lurk more than post, but don't white dudes on this board refer to female fronted books as "girly hijinks," in the same way they might refer to body pillows as "real girlfriends?" #problematic

Messi

I lurk more than post, but don't white dudes on this board refer to female fronted books as "girly hijinks," in the same way they might refer to body pillows as "real girlfriends?" #problematic

Not all female books are girly hijinks, I wouldn't call Question girly hijinks. Something like Harley is though. It's meant in an endearing way for wacky books. He'll it doesn't even have to be a female led book. Howard the duck is girly hijinks. Or is that Quail Hijinks?

For the record, body pillows ain't my thing.

No. I don't really see something like Black Widow called girly hijinks. That term is usually reserved for more silly books like Harley Quinn or Squirrel Girl.

Exactly my point :)

No. I don't really see something like Black Widow called girly hijinks. That term is usually reserved for more silly books like Harley Quinn or Squirrel Girl.

tbh? REALLY not a fan of that term either.

You'd be OK with it if there were some example of Frank Miller girly hijinks.

I think it's more telling that there were enough of us to be able to answer it that quickly.

I remember liking her more or less. But RHATO is one of Lobdell's least incoherent works, so that probably helped.

I actually remember kinda liking what I read of it. Need to pick up the rest at some point.

Regarding new comics, I read that Starfire preview and found it utterly charming, even thought the bits with Supes got a tad awkward at times. Will definitely be picking up the book.

I think it's more telling that there were enough of us to be able to answer it that quickly.

I remember liking her more or less. But RHATO is one of Lobdell's least incoherent works, so that probably helped.
Lobdell was doing some weird things with Jason within that first story arc. I was into it. I like Jason just being seperate from the bat fam and doing his own thing.

Rhaknar

Holy shit...

Sentry_Vol_1_1.jpg

I loved everything about this. Amazing art, loved the "is he crazy? Is he a drunk?" teasing throughout the issue (until he takes off flying), loved the writing, and the whole thing just felt...big. Special.

Did anyone experience this back in the day, was it a big deal back then? I mean, no matter what came out of it eventually (unfortunately nothing good), but this first issue (or first volume from what I hear) feels like something we that would be huge if released today for example.

Fuck, I really liked that first issue lol

Edit: just noticed it's a Marvel Knights joint, that label was really firing on all cylinders back then huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom