• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give bendis flack all you like, but bendis' ultimate peter is one of the best there ever was. He'd not pull All New on Parker.

And his Daredevil also was one of the best.

As was his Alias. (well, more like the only, but w/e)

Sure, he's done good before, but his current output.... eh. Last ish of Ultimate Miles was a complete mess.

--

Real talk: put Ewing in charge of Peter Parker.

Speaking of X-Statix:

7.jpg

Never forget Zombine. The real "best girl."

So I'm rolling with Spider-Woman being the most improved book of 2015. For Marvel at least.

Haven't seen a stimulus package this good since Soule on Red Lanterns.

Holy shit...

Sentry_Vol_1_1.jpg

I loved everything about this. Amazing art, loved the "is he crazy? Is he a drunk?" teasing throughout the issue (until he takes off flying), loved the writing, and the whole thing just felt...big. Special.

Did anyone experience this back in the day, was it a big deal back then? I mean, no matter what came out of it eventually (unfortunately nothing good), but this first issue (or first volume from what I hear) feels like something we that would be huge if released today for example.

The first Sentry trade collecting the "lost issues" is god tier. Just absolutely amazing, and one of my favorite character introductions in comics. I'm not even mad that it turned out to be viral marketing because it was so good.

BUT...don't read anything else Sentry-related. Nothing holds up even remotely as well, and the character just falls off the cliff the further along you progress. Just remember him as Marvel's super overpowered iteration of Superman, with the added dimension that he is literally his own worst enemy.

So good. Never again.

Dammit, all my favorite books are dealing with delays. Manhattan Projects, Annihilator, and Nameless.

dont forget Casanova. Don't know what Fraction book gon come out next, Arcadia #3 or Hawkeye #22

I asked Hollingsworth about Hawkeye #22, since Aja finished all 30 pages like a MONTH ago, he said he hasn't Marvel's deadline yet so he aint really messed with it yet lol

Tizoc

The first Sentry trade collecting the "lost issues" is god tier. Just absolutely amazing, and one of my favorite character introductions in comics. I'm not even mad that it turned out to be viral marketing because it was so good.

BUT...don't read anything else Sentry-related. Nothing holds up even remotely as well, and the character just falls off the cliff the further along you progress. Just remember him as Marvel's super overpowered iteration of Superman, with the added dimension that he is literally his own worst enemy.

So good. Never again.

Oddly enough I keep hearing how Bendis messed up characters that had really good minis featuring them, namely Sentry and The Hood.

Oddly enough I keep hearing how Bendis messed up characters that had really good minis featuring them, namely Sentry and The Hood.

there's like...that one Bendis/Deodato Jr issue where Norman recruited The Sentry by treating him like a human being and connecting with him by sharing his own dark impulses

normanbob.jpg

826866-novoid.jpg

but thats it tho

anime girl blinking.gif

I understand him, tho. He's a very popular colorist, and he's gotta work on books that actually HAVE to come out monthly. Wytches, Chrononauts, that BKV/Skorce book, etc. Hawkeye #22 aint got no monthly deadline, he can get to he when he gets to it.

Dude got to eat, ya know

dont forget Casanova. Don't know what Fraction book gon come out next, Arcadia #3 or Hawkeye #22

I asked Hollingsworth about Hawkeye #22, since Aja finished all 30 pages like a MONTH ago, he said he hasn't Marvel's deadline yet so he aint really messed with it yet lol
You gotta be kidding me....

Has anyone else seen the girl in dior piece on comics alliance? I'm on my phone so I can't link it but the art in it looks phenomenal. There aren't too many fashion centered comics out there

I understand him, tho. He's a very popular colorist, and he's gotta work on books that actually HAVE to come out monthly. Wytches, Chrononauts, that BKV/Skorce book, etc. Hawkeye #22 aint got no monthly deadline, he can get to he when he gets to it.

Dude got to eat, ya know
Favorite part of Squirrel Girl #4:
4eKHUW4.png

tim1138

You know, I hadn't even realized issue 3 of Casanova hadn't dropped yet. Good lord. At least ODY-C is keeping a fairly regular schedule.

I had to laugh the other day about Kelly Sue freaking out about a 50 cent price increase on the next issue of Bitch Planet so they could add 10 more pages of content. Like she doesn't write a $4 twenty three page book for Marvel or something.

there's like...that one Bendis/Deodato Jr issue where Norman recruited The Sentry by treating him like a human being and connecting with him by sharing his own dark impulses

I'm not talking about Bendis. He's busy outing young Iceman.

I'm talking about how Sentry was handled, period. He went from schizophrenic Superman to taking being outsmarted by the Punisher. He literally couldn't take down Frank. What?

I'm talking about how Sentry was handled, period. He went from schizophrenic Superman to taking being outsmarted by the Punisher. He literally couldn't take down Frank. What?

Ain't no shame in that. Only guy with an equivalent or better tactical mind in 616 is OG Fury. And sometimes Steve.
-

ManGaf is kind. Spider Gwen's reign of terror/supremacy is over.

Tizoc

Convergence Shazam! is written by Jeff Parker
Which explains why you lot enjoyed it, Parker did some good comics over the years, namely

61cCTrqVy-L.jpg

This one had GREAT art but was so criminally short lived.

BUT MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL
FEB110681_1.jpg

He wrote an EXCELLENT Red Hulk series, like where Loeb created a ridiculous character, Parker fleshed him out and wrote some great stories.

I hadn't read the Red She-hulk series sadly, but those are some of his best works, get in on dat ish.

normanbob.jpg

826866-novoid.jpg

but thats it tho

Oh yeah I recall liking that...but then it goes south cuz Bendis :p Tommy Lee Jones Osborn was awesome though.

Mindwipe

I actually really liked what Bendis did with Sentry, apart from the fact it felt like it was going somewhere and then it just... didn't. But there's some great character work with him working with Osborne and Osborne getting more and more scared that he's on a bullride he can't hold on to trying to contain the crazy.

I actually really liked what Bendis did with Sentry, apart from the fact it felt like it was going somewhere and then it just... didn't. But there's some great character work with him working with Osborne and Osborne getting more and more scared that he's on a bullride he can't hold on to trying to contain the crazy.

It's almost as if the writing starts falling apart as the scope increases.

Tizoc

Bendis has written some good and fun stuff though, but with him you also run the risk of a character or series being poorly handled in the end.

I still think he writes great 616 Spidey stuff though, like when Spidey was with the Avengers in New Avengers, etc.

Mindwipe

It's almost as if the writing starts falling apart as the scope increases.

I think the scope was going somewhere too, but got derailed by a certain event.

I assume at some point the bit where he was literally supposed to be the biblical angel of death and around a thousand years before his birth was going to be relevant, somehow? Given his altercations with Molecule Man maybe he'll come back for Secret Wars...

Bendis has written some good and fun stuff though, but with him you also run the risk of a character or series being poorly handled in the end.

I think Bendis writes street-level books the best. Daredevil, Alias, Powers, Jinx and Scarlet are all examples of this. I enjoyed his run on Uncanny, but cape books don't really seem to be his real strength.

Zombine

Banned
Bendis missed the mark with Guardians, but his X-Men run has been one of the best in recent memory. Flawless? Absolutely not. But he's done a lot of good things and he took us for a pretty great ride with both of his books and introduced us to some cool new X-Men.

ReAxion

For all the Loeb doom and gloom on Nova, he's only on for the first 5 issues, and Duggan starts on issue 10.

Maybe it's because I have no attachment to Richard because I didn't read the cosmic chart stuff but I thought those 5 issues of Kid Nova were fine, completely innofensive

I don't have any previous attachment either, and I like kid nova too.

Tizoc

Bendis missed the mark with Guardians, but his X-Men run has been one of the best in recent memory. Flawless? Absolutely not. But he's done a lot of good things and he took us for a pretty great ride with both of his books and introduced us to some cool new X-Men.

Didn't he fuck up with the whole Young Iceman and Young Jean thing from an issue or two back?

Can someone please post the Avengers/New Avengers reading order again? I saw it in here a few days ago but for the life of my I can't find it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom