• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReAxion

Wic + Div has bored me. I picked up #10 and was hesitant to purchase it but I did. Got home, read it, thought about how I wasted a few bucks and then I see the next cover preview and now I'm curious what will happen. Probably another disappointment. *sigh*

2nd arc hasn't been as good as the first, but I expect it to pick up again soon.

Afrodium

Banned
Favorite part of Squirrel Girl #4:
4eKHUW4.png

Now I really want to read Squirrel Girl. This reminds me of one of my favorite parts of Nextwave.

said:

fauxtrot

Banned
Read Fantastic Four # 570 - 575 last night... the Council of Reeds stuff was pretty badass and I'm loving Val and Franklin's adventures / contributions. The only thing that's bothered me so far is I have a hard time finding the right "voice" for the Thing, maybe due to the way some of his speech is written out phonetically.

I'm actually reading comics again, guys!

104.gif

fauxtrot

Banned
Comics Alliance's Juliet Kahn wrote an article called "Smart, Nice and Sassy: ‘Good Girl’ Role Models Make Boring Heroes" and I thought it was a pretty interesting read that make some great points about a lot (though not all) of the popular female heroes that have been popping up over the last few years, especially those coming from Marvel and DC.

Maybe when we start seeing more female writers hired for these types of titles, we'll end up with more female characters with real flaws and deeper complexities? I wouldn't be surprised if some male writers are reluctant to do this out of fear of backlash from the community, if certain aspects transfer to the page incorrectly or are misinterpreted by fans (or are problematic all-together, if well-intentioned).

Zombine

Banned
So what this article is telling me is that now is the best time to pitch my book about a female Juggalo who is struggling to get her GED while partying all night with the wrong people? Is that flawed enough? Maybe we should have her drive around a nice car her parents bought her because she promised she would use it to get a job and go to college, but instead she picks up her boyfriend Ricky who loves drinking Jamison right out of the bottle and listening to Riff Raff.

This shit is gonna sell like hot cakes.

Gonna need Ed on art duty for this one.

Comics Alliance's Juliet Kahn wrote an article called "Smart, Nice and Sassy: ‘Good Girl’ Role Models Make Boring Heroes" and I thought it was a pretty interesting read that make some great points about a lot (though not all) of the popular female heroes that have been popping up over the last few years, especially those coming from Marvel and DC.

Maybe when we start seeing more female writers hired for these types of titles, we'll end up with more female characters with real flaws and deeper complexities? I wouldn't be surprised if some male writers are reluctant to do this out of fear of backlash from the community, if certain aspects transfer to the page incorrectly or are misinterpreted by fans (or are problematic all-together, if well-intentioned).

Honestly, this is something I've been thinking about for a while. A lot of female heroines have personalities like checkboxes; strong, smart, capable, caring, kind, snarky, etc. Their flaws are similarly uniform, they have trouble connecting with people and/or balancing work with personal lives. Now, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, and lord knows the archetype isn't absent from male characters, but it is a smidge homogenous at times. I think it's the result of most of them being written by men who don't want to stray too far from the accepted norms, since they run the risk of going to far or going into sensitive territory they don't fully understand.

fauxtrot

Banned
So what this article is telling me is that now is the best time to pitch my book about a female Juggalo who is struggling to get her GED while partying all night with the wrong people? Is that flawed enough? Maybe we should have her drive around a nice car her parents bought her because she promised she would use it to get a job and go to college, but instead she picks up her boyfriend Ricky who loves drinking Jamison right out of the bottle and listening to Riff Raff.

I'd buy it.

Call it Miracles in Paradise.

MG310

Too complex, you should just give her amnesia.

Bii

Sometimes I wonder how well we'd do if we created our own comic. I've tried to come up with something, just for fun, but always ran into a roadblock in the creative process.

Zombine

Banned
Sometimes I wonder how well we'd do if we created our own comic. I've tried to come up with something, just for fun, but always ran into a roadblock in the creative process.

Have you heard the song "Anyone Can Play Guitar" by Radiohead? Just replace "play guitar" with "write comics."

It's like that.
SERIOUSLY. ITS EASY.

The hardest part is finding an amazing artist who can compliment your story. It also helps to be a weirdo.

ReAxion

Maybe when we start seeing more female writers hired for these types of titles, we'll end up with more female characters with real flaws and deeper complexities?

I think that will absolutely solve the problem. People are writing what they know.

I agree with her overall point but some of the things she's name-checking don't fit the problem she's explaining.

fauxtrot

Banned
I think that will absolutely solve the problem. People are writing what they know.

I agree with her overall point but some of the things she's name-checking don't fit the problem she's explaining.

Yeah, her examples of "grit and realism" are off base (Simonson's Thor, All-Star Superman, and Batman TAS are almost the exact opposite of that), but her overall points are valid and hopefully will be resolved in time.

ReAxion

Yeah, her examples of "grit and realism" are off base (Simonson's Thor, All-Star Superman, and Batman TAS are almost the exact opposite of that), but her overall points are valid and hopefully will be resolved in time.

The name check of Black Widow as one of the good girls but bring up Emma Frost at the end. Swing and a miss. Calling out Babs and Gwen; they just started! The whole Sex Criminals part.

Anyway, things are getting better and her voicing her opinion keeps the pace up or even adds momentum for change. I appreciate it.

Who cares? I wanna know who sexy young Black Widow is.

#NotAllRedheads are Black Widow, Freeza.

Haven't been around much lately. New PC arrived, so have been playing the vidya. Mortal Kombat X's story was fun, the online is completely broken for me so I've uninstalled for now to save myself 15GB patches every other day. Playing Shadow of Mordor, I can see why people say it's repetitive but I'm having a blast.

#NotAllRedheads are Black Widow, Freeza.

Haven't been around much lately. New PC arrived, so have been playing the vidya. Mortal Kombat X's story was fun, the online is completely broken for me so I've uninstalled for now to save myself 15GB patches every other day. Playing Shadow of Mordor, I can see why people say it's repetitive but I'm having a blast.

Yeah, I was a bit bored of Shadow of Mordor by the end but it's undeniably good fun while it lasts. You're so OP by the time you reach the end.

zennyzz

second article I'm reading from her. Second one that has a sound premise but a lot of reaching to come to the conclusions she wants.

Kate's adventures in california was a complete fuck up on multiple occasions, and the vulture was never gwen's major point of contention.

And her comparisons of rolemodels on male sides are just as bad. Batman and Bond aren't flawed and endear us to them.

Sup guys,

Haven't posted in the comics thread in a loooong time. Just got Marvel Unlimited and want to read Slott's spidey stuff. Should I start at Brand New Day where the title goes weekly and Slott is writing with the other writers, or jump in when it goes exclusively to Slott? Thanks for the help guys!

PsychBat!

Banned
Sup guys,

Haven't posted in the comics thread in a loooong time. Just got Marvel Unlimited and want to read Slott's spidey stuff. Should I start at Brand New Day where the title goes weekly and Slott is writing with the other writers, or jump in when it goes exclusively to Slott? Thanks for the help guys!

You can start at Spider-Man #648, where Slott fully takes over the book and has a new status quo for Spidey and the rest of the gang, then go on from there. Slott overall does a good job and I think it's worth a read. The arc is called "Big Time".
But...Convergence....

is a thing.

Busaiku

Sup guys,

Brand New Day
Don't miss Gauntlet.

ReAxion

You can start at Spider-Man #648, where Slott fully takes over the book and has a new status quo for Spidey and the rest of the gang, then go on from there. Slott overall does a good job and I think it's worth a read. The arc is called "Big Time".

I started at Big Time and I'm a perfectly well-adjusted human organism who can be trusted.

PsychBat!

Banned
I started at Big Time and I'm a perfectly well-adjusted human organism who can be trusted.

There are some ups and downs, I'll admit. Ends of the Earth being meh and Spider-Island being fun. But I think his last great Spidey story was Superior.

We'll see how "Renew Your Vows" turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom