• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably Mara Jade, his wife and baby mama in the former Expanded Universe.
Choices_of_One_PB_art.jpg

How did I not even realize that? XD

I've got this sitting in one of my display cases:

Neith is mine.
Chang'e is who I like. I also play Thanatos a lot.
Sup guys,

Haven't posted in the comics thread in a loooong time. Just got Marvel Unlimited and want to read Slott's spidey stuff. Should I start at Brand New Day where the title goes weekly and Slott is writing with the other writers, or jump in when it goes exclusively to Slott? Thanks for the help guys!
BND is a great jump-in point. There's a lot of variety from different creators so it's really fun.

Slott's run is good to great until near the end of Superior where it kind of gets bleh. He really fumbled that series in the last two arcs and lost me as a reader with the ASM relaunch. Shame too, cause Spider-Island was a great event.

Busaiku

I got Lumberjanes now.
Still gotta get through Adventure Time too.

Giant Days was ok, but that mustache guy looks old enough to be their dad, and it freaks me out.

ReAxion

There are some ups and downs, I'll admit. Ends of the Earth being meh and Spider-Island being fun. But I think his last great Spidey story was Superior.

We'll see how "Renew Your Vows" turns out.

I don't regret any of it; seconding your rec, really. I did it all to catch up on Superior and it worked out fine.

I got Lumberjanes now.

Did you buy a physical copy? I'm on the look out for a vol1. They're out of stock in the usual places.

Darkest Hours (aka Superior Venom) was poor with very fast pacing and Humberto Ramos. The last arc redeemed it imo.

I haven't looked over the end since I read it, but I remember the fast pace ruining the last arc too. The resolution happened way too quickly and felt unsatisfying.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
People werent kidding about Duggan Nova, its legit. I didnt mind the first 10 or so issues with loeb and then whoever else, but now its actually good. This arc with Beta Ray is super fun.

Kinda digging this Duggan fella between this and Deadpool, is he known for anything else?

ReAxion

Hi everyone, I don't have a background reading comics, but Deadpool looks like something really fun for me to pick up. Where's a good place to start with that?

After the preview and this interview, Omega Men has shot up to my most wanted title this June.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...es-complicated-killers-of-dc-comics-omega-men

I got turned off by the preview (kylenooooo), and the opening of the article was (while interesting) not terribly attractive to me. But then I got to this:

I don't think anyone would get anything out of me using DC Comics characters to rant on about current affairs, even if I had a rant worth giving. To me, the best fiction avoids that kind of stuff. Those arguments are better made in essays and blogs. Fiction should attempt to portray emotions and moments that dig deeper than that, that can't be told, but have to be shown.

So much yes. I'm going to buy the first issue just because of how hardcore I agree with this.

Hi everyone, I don't have a background reading comics, but Deadpool looks like something really fun for me to pick up. Where's a good place to start with that?

The most recent run is pretty fantastic. Read that after you read the oldschool Joe Kelly run.

I just saw on Twitter that bandette #1 is free on CMX. Everyone please check out this fabulous book. One of the most delightful female led books on the market

https://www.comixology.com/Bandette-1/digital-comic/27559?ref=c2VyaWVzL3ZpZXcvdGFibGV0L2dyaWRMaXN0L0lzc3Vlcw
Yoink, thanks for the heads up!

The current Deadpool series is supposed to be really good once you get past the first arc.

Other than that, there's also Cable & Deadpool and Joe Kelly's Deadpool. Can't go wrong with either.

I got turned off by the preview (kylenooooo), and the opening of the article was (while interesting) not terribly attractive to me. But then I got to this:

So much yes. I'm going to buy the first issue just because of how hardcore I agree with this.

The most recent run is pretty fantastic. Read that after you read the oldschool Joe Kelly run.

It was that whole thing that made me say "fuck yeah Tom King, you the man!

Overall, the cosmos of the DC Universe is chock full of various alien races, warring planets, secret factions and other diverse forces. That doesn't sound too far from the world we know -- or more particularly, the one you knew in your previous life with the CIA. How does the milieu of this book and the wide range of characters you can draw on synch up with the kind of human story you want to tell here? If you had to compare "Omega Men" with anything on Earth, what would it be?

I don't think there really is a one on one analogy here. The Omega Men aren't Al Qa'ida, and the Citadel isn't America. That's too easy and, frankly, too boring. I'm not trying to write allegorical fiction that comments on our current state of affairs. This isn't "Animal Farm." I don't think anyone would get anything out of me using DC Comics characters to rant on about current affairs, even if I had a rant worth giving. To me, the best fiction avoids that kind of stuff. Those arguments are better made in essays and blogs. Fiction should attempt to portray emotions and moments that dig deeper than that, that can't be told, but have to be shown.

What I am trying to do in this series is tell a space adventure story that will hit people on a gut level, where the audience can relate to the risks and blows that the characters take. To do that I'm going to steal elements of current and past events, moments that can bring the audience into the Omega Men, that make them experience the rusted texture of the bar the Omega Men hold onto as their ship comes under fire. Once the audience is in that ship, I don't want them thinking, "What is this funny book writer trying to say about our current Middle East policy debate?" I want them to hunker down, look out at the stars, and feel what it's like to need to fight back.

Owzers

I started reading the new Spidey 2099 because issue 5 is in the spiderverse checklist, the first four issues are kinda blandsville.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I started reading the new Spidey 2099 because issue 5 is in the spiderverse checklist, the first four issues are kinda blandsville.

Bland is exactly how i would describe the first 2 issues :/

I thought Miguel himself was pretty great in 2099, he's really cynical and funny. Comic itself was just there and then it got pulled into Spider-Verse and I stopped reading.

Kyle is probably in on it, I really doubt dude is actually dead.

He survived Geoff Johns, he's invincible. Sooo many people were always afraid for Kyle when Johns was starting his run. Especially Rebirth...and then Sinestro Corps. I think people were feeling good by Blackest night

tim1138

Here you go GH:

Nrama: OK, now the point-blank spoiler question. Is Kyle Rayner really dead? I mean, you didn't' show him die.

King: Um…

Nrama: OK, let's put it this way. Will Kyle never, ever be seen again?

King: The story of Kyle Rayner and his role in the DC Universe is not over.

Nrama: That's a good answer

The current Deadpool series is supposed to be really good once you get past the first arc.

Other than that, there's also Cable & Deadpool and Joe Kelly's Deadpool. Can't go wrong with either.

Thanks for the recs! Think I'll start with the first volume of the Daniel Way run, and if I like and finish it, move on to the Joe Kelly run. I think I saw something like 12 volumes of the Kelly one, so it seems like a bigger investment.

I believe that has always been the case? Maybe it went back to costing something and now free again?

It's much harder to find the free comics that aren't in that one area on the site now.

maybe. The message said "still free". But like you said its hard to find all the free issues in CMX and i'll never turn down an opportunity to spread the word of Bandette

ReAxion

maybe. The message said "still free". But like you said its hard to find all the free issues in CMX and i'll never turn down an opportunity to spread the word of Bandette

Word.

in the pre-Amazon iOS app you used to be able to browse free titles by publisher and I got a hell of a lot of Image #1's that way, which led to a lot more purchasing, too.

Isak! Help us!

I didn't know where else to ask this, but I thought I'd try here. Edit:Oops, guess I forgot I was talking about Marvel Unlimited.

Is there seriously no way I can just add a series or multiple comics to my "To-Read or My Library" list? Just subscribed and it's kind of annoying trying to keep track of where I am and where I'm going and makes it harder to read crossover type stuff.

kd-z

I might be a little late because Poland, but I just saw Age of Ultron and HOLY CRAP THAT WAS AMAAAZIIINGGG. Not only did it not disappoint, it exceeded all my expectations.

Owzers

I thought Miguel himself was pretty great in 2099, he's really cynical and funny. Comic itself was just there and then it got pulled into Spider-Verse and I stopped reading.

What should i skip when reading spider-verse? I don't want to read 30 books to get one moderately okay story if i don't have to.

Like Hickman's FF run, near the end when the time running out started I don't know why Marvel didn't consolidate the books into one book that shipped twice a month. Theres no way anyone could enjoy the events of this story without reading both books. And now everyone has to jump between books, trades, look up info graphs of proper reading order for no reason.

Dunbar

They were usually going for 3x per month with the alternating double shipping, but yeah. Combine them and call the new book Ultimate Avengers, for a laugh.

Now more than ever before, I think comics publishers are missing a trick by not putting comprehensive text summaries of certain runs on their website. I've seen so many people drawn in by the hype for Secret Wars #1, read the book, and go "What the fuck is going on here?"

They have to be missing out on SO much business, because the amount of people who are going to go back and read 80+ issues of backstory to get caught up for an event is very, very small.

Rhaknar

Oh neat, didnt know SpOck made that
butt-ugly
armored suit for Wolverine

Huh, surprised at much I enjoyed this first arc in Wolverine (#1-4), I was just reading it to catch up to all the "death of" books but I really dug it. Cool spy story once all is explained why Logan is doing what hes doing.

They have to be missing out on SO much business, because the amount of people who are going to go back and read 80+ issues of backstory to get caught up for an event is very, very small.

/whistles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom