• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychBat!

Banned
Well, I finished Rush Hour. Not looking forward to the television series after watching this. The chemistry between Chris and Jackie can't be replicated, not even Shanghai Noon could do it. Anyways, Hickman....

I ain't gonna compare much about Hickman and Remender. Only that one needs to understand that what Hickman does and what Remender does are two different things.

I understand the complaints about Hickman not doing enough on character development. This is not true, in fact,there are some things that people gloss over saying that. The entire FF run has tremendous character development with the following characters: Reed and his family/morals, the death of Johnny, Bentley and The Wizard, Franklin and Future Franklin, Valeria and Doom and Nathaniel Richards. In Avengers, it's between the Illuminati. Sure, some members here cannot be totally accounted for, such as Beast and Hulk as they are tied up in their own series (All-New X-Men and Hulk respectively). But the animosity Namor and BP had and the progressive downfall of Dr. Strange is something that is constantly there in NA. That's not something one can easily gloss over. Even when it clearly doesn't compare to what he did in his FF run, it's still there.

Now unfortunately, his Avengers suffers in the character development department. And while some of it is there in regards to Sunspot, Cannonball and Smasher, Thor and Hyperion, it's not enough. It pales in comparison to his work in FF regarding character development, and even in his NA. It hits it's stride in the Original Sin tie-in issues and in Time Runs Out. You see that Steve has become an old fart and up his own ass not focusing on the bigger picture. And in several issues, you can see how he feels about catching Reed and Stark. Hell, he even fought Tony at the end of the world. After Tony saved them all from an alien fleet about to annihilate the Earth by orbital assault, the last thing Steve decides to do is beat Tony up. But as we know, Time Runs Out technically reads as one book, so it doesn't count much.

Remender does a great job balancing character development and plot development. Unfortunately when he goes beyond a certain scope, it all falls apart. Example: AXIS. I won't go over as to why that was trash, because most of you have read it and know what has occurred in that event. Too many characters, too many things happening at once, etc. This is not a problem Hickman has, as his scope is much bigger and can handle it much better than Remender can. And that's where Hickman falls short of. In his Avengers run, his book starts with a rather large team and while his character development is not up to par with Remender's work on Uncanny Avengers or Secret Avengers, it still is beyond what Remender can do in regards to master planning and plot development. And sometimes, that's enough. One can't possibly focus on every character in depth with a roster of that size. Hickman tried, with some success. And that's more than I can say about Remender when he tried to do the same thing in AXIS.

That's not a knock on Remender btw. He's good, but his scope isn't that big.

So I'm going through Civil War (read up to Civil War #1 just a minute ago) and I'm confused over the first part. Spoilers from here on out:

So in ASM #529-531, Stark was against registration, calmly talking it through and opposing it at every turn, encouraging Pete to help him. He even paid a hitman to attack him to show that secret identity-based heroes are good.

Yet in Civil War #1 he immediately flip flops at the drop of a hat, to the point of turning on Cap at a moment's notice. I understand the tragedy that the explosion was, but it's kind of lame that he immediately flip-flops to go against what he was just fighting for two issues earlier.

Anyway, it's been a fun run so far. Aside from some passive references to some stuff I haven't read (Ragnarok being mentioned in F4 #537 or 537, Wolverine threatening the President, some minor others), it's been good.

Owzers

I was reading a trade outside and tiny red bug thingy was crawling on a page so i flicked it off and instead of getting off the book i squished it and it left a red mark on the page.

Never going outside again.

Bii

I was reading a trade outside and tiny red bug thingy was crawling on a page so i flicked it off and instead of getting off the book i squished it and it left a red mark on the page.

Nah, you're doing it wrong. You shouldn't have been reading comics at all.

So is Axis set directly after Uncanny Avengers? Or inbetween?
It's in between the two volumes

Edit. Finished playing an hour of Splatoon. It was pretty fun. I'm not big on multiplayer games these days so I don't think what I played today gave me a big enough hook to pick it up. And those rollers seemed a bit OP

Was it one of those tiny red ants? I always get those things crawling on my fronts steps in the summer.

I laughed. It made me think of this.

ljcKjJe.gif

We have the worst bugs here. I hate boxelders.

I can't say I've ever run into those. At least not in any real quantity. During certain times of the year there are stinkbugs literally everywhere, though. During certain seasons I find them inside my house all the time. I think they may be able to teleport, because I don't know how they get in.

Zombine

Banned
I can't say I've ever run into those. At least not in any real quantity. During certain times of the year there are stinkbugs literally everywhere, though. During certain seasons I find them inside my house all the time. I think they may be able to teleport, because I don't know how they get in.

They show up every now and then. Silverfish scare the living shit out of me though.

They show up every now and then. Silverfish scare the living shit out of me though.

There's a difference between silverfish and house centipedes. I once had one so gigantic I just got him with the vacuum. He was thick and juicy and had a billion legs where you could see a wave over his legs as he moved. He was also about 3" long. *shudder*

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
finally went to see the Avengers... only available in 3d at night >_>

need to go in the afternoon for 2d sigh

Messi

I fell down stairs today and bumped my head. Feel pretty damn shit and this headache won't go away. Not even comics can cheer me up.

Vyer

How many players will online Splatoon allow?

ComicGAF games would be fun.

I fell down stairs today and bumped my head. Feel pretty damn shit and this headache won't go away. Not even comics can cheer me up.

Dude you should go get checked out just to be safe.

God dammit, Messi. What are you doing? Doctor. Now. Head injuries are nothing to fuck with. Harley would not approve of this dawdling.

NEO0MJ

Finished Miracle Man Vol.3. While I enjoyed my time with it, I was kinda expecting more. I guess the high monetary value of the original print and the high praise raised my expectations immensely.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Whatever Marvel does will be wrong. When they are going with a white danny, then they are racist because no minoritys, when they make him asian, they will get a shitstorm because its a trope that asians know kung-fu.

Whatever Marvel does will be wrong. When they are going with a white danny, then they are racist because no minoritys, when they make him asian, they will get a shitstorm because its a trope that asians know kung-fu.

They could make him hispanic? I don't think it's a big deal, but that's me.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

I'M SO GLAD IT'S NOT JUST ME.
I have the hugest irrational fear of silverfish. Like, spiders I don't like but they don't scare me. Silverfish, however, will make me jump and scream like a little girl. They're just the most disgusting insects ever.

I'M SO GLAD IT'S NOT JUST ME.
I have the hugest irrational fear of silverfish. Like, spiders I don't like but they don't scare me. Silverfish, however, will make me jump and scream like a little girl. They're just the most disgusting insects ever.
Plus, these ugly motherfuckers will seriously fuck up your library.
I hate these.

Gods i love the way she looks at him after she says that.
Thanks to whoever mentioned this thing. Pretty decent so far.

tbh i'm not even sure i could tell what's decent right now. after hulk even muh memories of sixis don't look so bad.

Finished Miracle Man Vol.3. While I enjoyed my time with it, I was kinda expecting more. I guess the high monetary value of the original print and the high praise raised my expectations immensely.

Didn't gaiman leave it at a cliffhanger right after the tale suffered a major shift?

But yes, the mad praise is mostly due to Alan's part.

Will the rest of Secret Wars have the same cover stock as #1? It's really nice and I hope the other 7 are going to be like it.
Anonymous

I’m afraid not, only the fist issue.

We can't be bothered by high quality cover stock.

Are they going to be the same price as Issue #1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom