• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
there's more.

Is there modern stuff, thats even still considered as truely happened? I see stuff like this from time to time, but I dont really care about stuff like this, because it doesnt seem like it still happened, more like its been put under the table.

Like this one panel were Peter beats MJ. It happened, but had no effect since nobody including the characters care anymore about it, so it kinda happened for me. You know what I mean?

Is there modern stuff, thats even still considered as truely happened? I see stuff like this from time to time, but I dont really care about stuff like this, because it doesnt seem like it still happened, more like its been put under the table.

Well, he kinda just killed his whole family because he couldn't build a decent shield yet again.

He was also more than willing to let them all die because he didnt have the balls to push a button.

The franklin thing was undone in the beginning of hickman's run btw. It's why old frank ports back and unlocks his power. Also heavy hints that Reed prevents franklin from aging.

Messi

Like this one panel were Peter beats MJ. It happened, but had no effect since nobody including the characters care anymore about it, so it kinda happened for me. You know what I mean?

Scumbag Pete hit MJ?

Miles wouldn't hit Kate.

Yes, but this happens constantly.

Also, I don't quite get how you could have just read the first Hickman's FF omnibus and not come out of it hating Reed. He's a dickback with an ego the size of a planet.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The officially Staus regarding the Marvel Universe after Secret Wars in the Reboot/Not-Reboot discussion: Link

Spoiler:
Not a Reboot.

Yes, but this happens constantly.

Also, I don't quite get how you could have just read the first Hickman's FF omnibus and not come out of it hating Reed. He's a dickback with an ego the size of a planet.

I only dislike the alternate Reeds. 616 Reed seems like the only one who isnt that crazy... Because he actually cares about his family and think its wrong to lobotomize Dooms.

What do you mean?

I only dislike the alternate Reeds. 616 Reed seems like the only one who isnt that crazy... Because he actually cares about his family and think its wrong to lobotomize Dooms.

That wasn't what made him reconsider joining.
That was "thats totes creepy" *yeah, but its important. doom is a dick* "oh, ok then. sign me up"

Started reading Luke Skywalker, Last Hope the Galaxy

The first three stories were fun but short. Some very nice cover pages are included in the omnibus.

Also, even names straight from Star Wars main universe seem fan-fictiony.

Windy Starkiller?
Biggs Darklighter?

Why hate People Reed Richards so much?

"People are jealous of him as he is young handsome and rich".

Gonna move on real quick and just explain what I know to put it out there:

The image was banable and really fucking awful. I have seen their "NSFW" figures before, but this was one of those "10,000 year old in a kid's body" type things. It threw me off guard even more so because of how it was linked. The rest was a ticking time bomb.

Anyways, comics:

Namor is fucking amazing.

I was a lurker on that thread for a long time. Unsubscribed earlier in the year. Things started getting weirder and weirder and there were a couple of posters who only seemed to communicate using moe gifs.

Guys, wouldn't be doing a hometown guy a solid if I didn't tell you guys. Brian Level, artist, who has done a Batman and Catwoman commission for me and also did me and Tims sketches on FCBD has his first big publisher book out this Wednesday.

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/917?stockItemID=MAR150475

The Mantle from Image Comics with Ed Brisson writing it. Ed just finished up Sheltered which went 16 issues and my wife really liked it. Tim and I both have read advanced copies and we both liked it. Here is a letter in the back of the advanced copy from Ed Brisson.

wXCnkGB.jpg

So if you have to pick just one new book this week, forget Injection, get The Mantle.
I will check this out, thanks.

----
anybody know any good comics with eclectic color palettes?

Like FBP or spidergwen
basicaly "your brain on drugs" colors

Translucid (tpb)
One of my favorite mini series.

The officially Staus regarding the Marvel Universe after Secret Wars in the Reboot/Not-Reboot discussion: Link

Spoiler:
Not a Reboot.

What do you mean?

Alright, let's go down the list. I stopped reading before the end, so there's probably a lot of stuff I missed, but the two big ones for me were:

-The Council. The whole institution is inherently egotistical, but let's lay out why, and why it's stupid. Three Reed Richardses gain ultimate, unlimited power in their own universes. This not being enough, they decide it is their responsibility to fix the rest of the multiverse. Now, there's nothing terribly wrong with that, superheroes thinking they can fix the world is a trope as old as the genre, but Reed takes it to the next level buy assembling a collection of only himself. In the vast multiverse, apparently only Reed Richards is empowered to fix problems. Nobody else has anything worth bringing to the table. This does not bother 616 one bit, in fact, he finds it an enormously attractive proposition. Sure, the Doom lobotomies are creepy, but he's talked into it with only one panel worth of dialogue, so really, it's clearly not a factor for him. Also, the "planets of wheat" thing is impressively dumb, but writing supergenius ideas is tough, so I'll let that one slide. Now, Reed ultimately rejects joining the Council full-time, but not out of any realization that maybe, just maybe, this might not be the best idea. No, it's because of commitment issues. He can't handle the full-time nature of the position, so he freaks out and leaves. This doesn't read as "devotion to his family," it just reads like he's an insecure sonuvabitch. Worth noting that Hickman doesn't let up on the idea that the Council is inherently noble, either, he's got Valeria shilling for it later on.

-The TED talk from hell. Oh, my. This full page of Reed dressing down the various non-super scientific minds (aside from She-Hulk, who's there because... reasons?) of earth 616 for being small-minded, being unambitious and old-fashioned. All well and good, except... Reed has, personally, solved basically every problem he's yelling at these people about. There's one in particular that sticks out, he's upbraiding this poor SOB for not wanting to spend money on space travel during a global recession, which is all well and good, except in... I want to say the next issue, Reed goes to the moon and back in an afternoon. This is kind of like a teacher standing in the middle of a kindergarten, gloating about how their students are too limited to solve their homework problem, when they've got the answer on their desk. It's enormously condescending. Reed then goes and founds the Future Foundation, which is like the TED thing he had going but filled only with people who owe their success/existence to him.

They call me...

Dark Tyrant, The Horror of Earth

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ThyComicList

DC COMICS:
Convergence #6
Convergence: Batman Shadow of the Bat #2
F.B.P. #20

IMAGE:
Black Science #14
Chrononauts #3
Injection #1
Mantle #1
RunLoveKill #2
Saga #28

MARVEL:
Darth Vader #5
Ms. Marvel #15
Secret Wars #2

GAMEPROFF

Banned
That wasn't what made him reconsider joining.
That was "thats totes creepy" *yeah, but its important. doom is a dick* "oh, ok then. sign me up"
But still. He didnt as he had the opportunity later in the first FF Arc. All the other Reeds had done that.

They also said New 52 wasn't a reboot at first. Just saying.
:(

Not necessary But I did enjoy it quite a bit. It has some nice art so it's good to look at. It's good for mostly straightforward superhero comics.
Thanks. I will look into it. Maybe we get a Ominibus or a OHC.

Alright, let's go down the list. I stopped reading before the end, so there's probably a lot of stuff I missed, but the two big ones for me were:

-The Council. The whole institution is inherently egotistical, but let's lay out why, and why it's stupid. Three Reed Richardses gain ultimate, unlimited power in their own universes. This not being enough, they decide it is their responsibility to fix the rest of the multiverse. Now, there's nothing terribly wrong with that, superheroes thinking they can fix the world is a trope as old as the genre, but Reed takes it to the next level buy assembling a collection of only himself. In the vast multiverse, apparently only Reed Richards is empowered to fix problems. Nobody else has anything worth bringing to the table. This does not bother 616 one bit, in fact, he finds it an enormously attractive proposition. Sure, the Doom lobotomies are creepy, but he's talked into it with only one panel worth of dialogue, so really, it's clearly not a factor for him. Also, the "planets of wheat" thing is impressively dumb, but writing supergenius ideas is tough, so I'll let that one slide. Now, Reed ultimately rejects joining the Council full-time, but not out of any realization that maybe, just maybe, this might not be the best idea. No, it's because of commitment issues. He can't handle the full-time nature of the position, so he freaks out and leaves. This doesn't read as "devotion to his family," it just reads like he's an insecure sonuvabitch. Worth noting that Hickman doesn't let up on the idea that the Council is inherently noble, either, he's got Valeria shilling for it later on.
To clarify, when I say I dont get why people hate Reed Richards, then I am talking about 616 Reed and not alternaverse Reed. But I have to admit, the Council is something Reed would do.
or Doom, too.
this was my first thought as Ive read it.
And I interpreted the lobotimation scene, that he didnt felt comfortable with it and when he left in the end, it was the sum of all things. But I dont agree on your later point. For me, he definitly left because of his family. I think its pretty clear since he wants to reconnect with them in the following issues and on.

-The TED talk from hell. Oh, my. This full page of Reed dressing down the various non-super scientific minds (aside from She-Hulk, who's there because... reasons?) of earth 616 for being small-minded, being unambitious and old-fashioned. All well and good, except... Reed has, personally, solved basically every problem he's yelling at these people about. There's one in particular that sticks out, he's upbraiding this poor SOB for not wanting to spend money on space travel during a global recession, which is all well and good, except in... I want to say the next issue, Reed goes to the moon and back in an afternoon. This is kind of like a teacher standing in the middle of a kindergarten, gloating about how their students are too limited to solve their homework problem, when they've got the answer on their desk. It's enormously condescending. Reed then goes and founds the Future Foundation, which is like the TED thing he had going but filled only with people who owe their success/existence to him.
I think he was really a giant jerk there, but had a point. The guys had TEDs like, "lets downsize population!" (Which scared me actually) and similar stuff.
Still, I can see Reeds perspective here, but its of course a problem when you are earths smartest person.

Chip Zdarsky writing Jughead, Adam Hughes writing AND DRAWING Betty & Veronica, and Dan Parent writing and drawing Life with Kevin... IF, they get $350,000 on kickstarter (Bleeding Cool)

Part of me wants to see this goal met, just to watch Adam Hughes have to struggle to put out two comics a year.

9CRW6lN.jpg

EDIT: From the CBR interview with Archie's Jon Goldwater

Link

Adam's on the book as long as he wants to be, and he'll be doing interiors for the first arc and probably alternating with someone else as we get further into the run. But yes, the idea is for him to be around for a while. Adam has a ton of stories planned and is having a great time with these characters. He's going to really showcase them as friends and the challenges they face together. Sure, they compete for Archie, but there's so much more to these girls than that. They're not defined by Archie. That's something the book is going to explore.

Messi

Zombine

Banned
I was a lurker on that thread for a long time. Unsubscribed earlier in the year. Things started getting weirder and weirder and there were a couple of posters who only seemed to communicate using moe gifs.

I just wanted people to know that it wasn't some "injustica" moment in FigureGAF. The Perm, regardless of how others felt about the person on any other given day--was justified. The picture was creepy, and I don't think GAF Moderation wants to encourage that sort of atmosphere on the site. FigureGAF had a lot of positivity to offer, and diversity is what makes this community great, but there certainly was an air about the OTC thread, and I believe they had a history of being warned as well.

OTC grants us all the freedom to divert from the topic in themed threads with that theme as a common bond, but everyone needs to also understand that while this is a "safe zone" from some of the antics in the other threads, and we house some of the most passionate enthusiasts and industry folk around, but we still have to follow the basic rules and guidelines that are present for the entire site.

That's just my two cents on the matter.

Chip Zdarsky writing Jughead, Adam Hughes writing AND DRAWING Betty & Veronica, and Dan Parent writing and drawing Life with Kevin... IF, they get $350,000 on kickstarter (Bleeding Cool)

Part of me wants to see this goal met, just to watch Adam Hughes have to struggle to put out two comics a year.

9CRW6lN.jpg

EDIT: From the CBR interview with Archie's Jon Goldwater

Link

I've never gotten the appeal of Archie, but I wanna see how Zdarsky handles Jughead. Consider this passive support for now, and I might contribute.

woah, you're gonna have to elaborate on this one

Spoilers for hicks F4
Vic uses the infinity gauntlets Val gave him as a reward for punking all the mad celestials to create an universe in his image. This backfires because, well, what do you think gon happen if you create an universe filled with horrendously capable creatures that will always try to be Top Dog, no matter the cost? Doesn't make a whole lotta sense since he still had the gauntlet, but whatever, he gets deposed from his God job. Val and Nathaniel get Reed to form a rescue party and they go get Vic back. Vic doesn't say a word through almost the whole rescue process, only saying two words to help bluff their way into escaping.

It's pretty much like the Strange comic. He will never ask for help, but he's not above accepting it if it is freely offered.

Zombine

Banned
Stokoe is one of the best artists of our generation. That guy's work is brilliant, and his Godzilla was some of the best work in the franchise.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Spoilers for hicks F4
Vic uses the infinity gauntlets Val gave him as a reward for punking all the mad celestials to create an universe in his image. This backfires because, well, what do you think gon happen if you create an universe filled with horrendously capable creatures that will always try to be Top Dog, no matter the cost? Doesn't make a whole lotta sense since he still had the gauntlet, but whatever, he gets deposed from his God job. Val and Nathaniel get Reed to form a rescue party and they go get Vic back. Vic doesn't say a word through almost the whole rescue process, only saying two words to help bluff their way into escaping.

It's pretty much like the Strange comic. He will never ask for help, but he's not above accepting it if it is freely offered.

oh that's right, great catch!

Sigh...this is NEVER gonna continue is it?

lol no

it should have been the first post of Slay's vaper ware comix thread

i should just blow 10 grand and commission a tattoo from Stokoe

Owzers

Yo peeps. Was Rage of Ultron any good?

I'm going to lower expectations and say it was decent, i didn't regret buying it but don't think much of it. I took issue with the plotting towards the end and that soured my opinion overall of the story.

Zombine

Banned
Will you guys kickstart my Juggalo book?

Donate $100 and I'll make you a character in the book. If I make stretch goals I'll write Besada into the book as the love interest if he signs off on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom