• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

It took me about 50 minutes of watching Extinction on Netflix to remember that i saw the movie already. " Hey....wait...this looks very similar to something..."

Here is mine. I consider it a free sketch for buying his ConExclusive limited to 200 advanced copies of issue number 1 of his new book that cost $10.

f3xALsI.jpg

Went to madness comics in plano for free comic book day. Place was crazy. I've never been there before but it was huge, one of the bigger comic book stores i've seen. It was like a convention lol, with booths everywhere and people dressing up. One guy was dressed up as a wooki and had stilts making him 9 feet tall. He was even doing the sounds.

I got:

Bobs burgers
the walking dead
doctor who 'new adventures with the 12th doctor'
The tick
divergence
infinity part 1 of six
teenage mutant ninja turtles
green lantern rebirth
attack on titan

oh and also i wanted to support the store since thats why this is a thing so i also bought the Infinity War book

GAMEPROFF

Banned
All these books of the Star Wars Epic looks great.
New Star Wars stuff, yeah : D I dont even care that none of that stuff is canon anymore.

I wanted to read The Purge and Vader and the lost Commando for ages.

Is it that on the bubble?

I honestly have no idea. I read somewhere that sales haven't been great and that was enough for her to justify a letter. I had very little to do with it beyond telling her that letter writing is the best way to get their notice.

Saw Messi's returned trade and it reminded me of my biggest comic related mistake

I had a coworker I knew for over a year, nice dude who I spoke with almost every day. We were both military officers, so you expect a certain kind of dependability and trustworthiness there. Anyhow, he wants to get into comics and I have a Barnes and Noble sized TPB collection. I decide to start the dude off right with the entire run of Y: The Last Man, The Dark Knight Returns, Superman Red Son, Watchmen, etc. I'd say all in all I loaned the dude 15-20 trades.

You know where this is going. Dude left for three weeks of training then...disappeared. Our commander told me he had been reassigned for disciplinary reasons. Changed his cell number, moved states, everything. This was before the Facebook era and I didn't feel like pressing charges over comics, but damn. I replaced my Y and Watchmen stuff, and let everything else go.

The only person I loan stuff to now is one of my younger brothers. Coworkers can afford their own shit.

I know it's only 8 pages but I really liked Gene Luen Yangs first go with Superman. I thought he had a natural voice for all the characters.

Batman was good but already spoiled on that.

I know it's only 8 pages but I really liked Gene Luen Yangs first go with Superman. I thought he had a natural voice for all the characters.

can i read that batman preview without being spoiled on the previous issues (I haven't read endgame yet :( DC trade schedule is BASURA)

Bloodember

The LCS where I live, if you want to call it that, comics are an afterthought to them, isn't doing FCBD. They said it was to expensive, apparently you have to buy at least $100 worth of the free comics and each issue you get has to be at least 50 copies. I think he said each issue costs them 10cents, to just give away.

I preordered the 5 top ones I wanted with my monthly order awhile back with DCBS, so I'm good, just wanted to check out a few of the other issues, oh well.

Dude, I know what you mean.

Having said that, I'm more than happy to give away older TPBs to folks on here with no expectation of getting them back, like Zombine mentioned earlier. Only books I won't part with are Y and my wife's full Fables run.

A comic pay it forward. I'm 95% digital now and only consider trades for GOAT level stuff, so I'm not interested in anything in return. My method now is Marvel Unlimited for their stuff, and trade waiting for Image.

Oo, glad to hear the Superman stuff was decent. I really want a good Superman ongoing and Geoff Johns bailing after a single arc hurts me. Just a bit. Is the Batman stuff literally just the page or so that's been "leaked" or are there any other tidbits/surprises?

On a side note of misery comic book tales: I lent my copy of Green Lantern: Secret Origin to a friend at college a few months before Johns' run ended. I didn't want it back in a week or so, I wasn't too rushed, I'd read it all. Eventually about three weeks before GL 20 I asked him for it back because I wanted to binge Johns' GL/GLC coupled with Tomasi/Bedard's stuff. He brought it in the next day...i took it home...flicked through...there were notes about characters and plot written on the inside front cover. Not of the sleeve, but the actual book. >_>

Never again.

Divergence Spoilers/Endgame spoilers

Hmmmmmmm. In the Justice League story
it shows Batman being part of the story, specifically, it mentions Bruce Wayne. It says above Bruce that a New God is born. Also has Hal Jordan saying, "You need to keep it under control Batman. Keep your head clear. Batman replies "It's never been clearer in all my life, Jordan. I know everything." I wonder if Bruce traveling to Apokolips in Batman and Robin gains him some notoriety with New Genisis and they somehow get Bruce Wayne and bring him to life ala Damian. They have the power to bring him back to life some other way.
. This plays into a Twitter conversation I remember happening where Johns and Snyder met up to talk "the future of Batman".

FCBD is designed to get people into stores.
That doesn't work for people who don't live in US/UK. If we can get digital comics on the same day then we should also be getting the FCBD comics in the same way. I know what you're saying but it's just hypocritical the way it is right now.

it shows Batman being part of the story, specifically, it mentions Bruce Wayne. It says above Bruce that a New God is born. Also has Hal Jordan saying, "You need to keep it under control Batman. Keep your head clear. Batman replies "It's never been clearer in all my life, Jordan. I know everything." I wonder if Bruce traveling to Apokolips in Batman and Robin gains him some notoriety with New Genisis and they somehow get Bruce Wayne and bring him to life ala Damian. They have the power to bring him back to life some other way.
. This plays into a Twitter conversation I remember happening where Johns and Snyder met up to talk "the future of Batman".

Interesting theory for sure.

Man, the Fight Club 2 FCBD preview was sooooooo good. The wait is killing me...

GAMEPROFF

Banned
That doesn't work for people who don't live in US/UK. If we can get digital comics on the same day then we should also be getting the FCBD comics in the same way. I know what you're saying but it's just hypocritical the way it is right now.
There are FCBD in other countrys on other days.

tim1138

Re: your spoilers

It's an interesting thought, but I don't think there is any kind of overlap between Justice League and the other books. Just look at Hal for example, in whatever nonsense Venditti is writing Hal looks like a vagrant and has Krona's old power gauntlet, but in JL he's rocking the classic look. Johns JL run has always been pretty self contained in that way.

Nudull

Banned

DC about to take the Batgod meme to it's logical conclusion?

SoilBreak

Banned
Oo, glad to hear the Superman stuff was decent. I really want a good Superman ongoing and Geoff Johns bailing after a single arc hurts me. Just a bit. Is the Batman stuff literally just the page or so that's been "leaked" or are there any other tidbits/surprises?

On a side note of misery comic book tales: I lent my copy of Green Lantern: Secret Origin to a friend at college a few months before Johns' run ended. I didn't want it back in a week or so, I wasn't too rushed, I'd read it all. Eventually about three weeks before GL 20 I asked him for it back because I wanted to binge Johns' GL/GLC coupled with Tomasi/Bedard's stuff. He brought it in the next day...i took it home...flicked through...there were notes about characters and plot written on the inside front cover. Not of the sleeve, but the actual book. >_>

Never again.

Think Pak & Kuder are doing a good job on action comics.

So, FCBD plans, fam?

None here :/

The temptation to buy comics while Im there would be too great. Im basically out of spending money. Taxes (self employed so I dont get them taken out throughout the year) and rent killed my bank account.

I'll just have to enjoy the FCBD comics when they come out digitally.

Messi

Imagine the amount of books I buy in Florida and have to carry back to Ireland. What's best trades in backpack or suitcases? Or hardbacks.

delSai

Guess this is the best place to ask: Is Batman Beyond: Hush Beyond a good read? I'm looking at the amazon page and don't know if i should pick it up. Any opinions?

styl3s

Went to madness comics in plano for free comic book day. Place was crazy. I've never been there before but it was huge, one of the bigger comic book stores i've seen. It was like a convention lol, with booths everywhere and people dressing up. One guy was dressed up as a wooki and had stilts making him 9 feet tall. He was even doing the sounds.

I got:

Bobs burgers
the walking dead
doctor who 'new adventures with the 12th doctor'
The tick
divergence
infinity part 1 of six
teenage mutant ninja turtles
green lantern rebirth
attack on titan

oh and also i wanted to support the store since thats why this is a thing so i also bought the Infinity War book
Yeah i just swung by the one near me to get Infinity #0 and the Turtles book. Way, way, way too crowded i plan on waiting till about 4-5 till i run to my main store to take advantage of their 50% off paper/hard trades and B2G1 back issues.

My list of trades and singles i need is long but i am hoping to get the priority ones and finish some runs and catch up on others.

Messi

Babs Tarr is selling prints of her awesome Gotham Academy variant. I'd kill for a print but she only sells them at cons. :(

Nudull

Banned
Babs Tarr is selling prints of her awesome Gotham Academy variant. I'd kill for a print but she only sells them at cons. :(

Well, if you're going that far to straight up murder someone, why not kidnap a bunch of people, dump them on a plane and demand ransom in the form of convention prints? Think about it; The first convention housed entirely by plane.

Call it Con-Air, or something.

Messi

Well, if you're going that far to straight up murder someone, why not kidnap a bunch of people, dump them on a plane and demand ransom in the form of convention prints? Think about it; The first convention housed entirely by plane.

Call it Con-Air, or something.

I didn't mean to imply I would kill people. :(

Also Holy shit I missed the con joke. This guy.

Messi did you watch the match today

:wow

5460503588783122_0d7302bedb83cd4434a276e58519e297009d82787b35a890145cac1c5daf5475_large

Finally read my (voluntary) Multiversity backlog. Man, that was incredible. I can't form coherent thoughts but regardless of Divergence or whatever, I want an Earth-51 book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom