• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Korupt and Tim, those $10 sketches are so awesome.

Actually, it would be great if we could work something out where we pass along all of our old tpb's we don't want to one another to share the wealth. It's been done here in the past, but not to the point where it's a thing.

I'd definitely be up for this. I've got a handful of books I'll almost definitely never read again that I'd be happy to let someone else have. In particular, I feel bad having Invincible Iron Man OHC sitting on my shelf since I know I'll never read it again since I didn't really like it and I know most other people do like it or would like it.
The only issue for me is that it's kind of a hassle to get to the post office now that I work 8-5, the exact hours that the post office is open.

What happened to Kipp?

Loaned some money to a guy on Gaf and didn't get it back. It wasn't a huge bummer. Live and learn.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I bag and board the entire shelf. It's costly but I'm more at ease that my books won't be harmed.

Shelf only.

But Bag and Board bigger floppys which are technical trades.

I will obviously bag and board my single issues, but the TPB will be dependent on space.

Where's the best place to buy a storage box? Do LCS sell them for the best price, or is something like Amazon the best?

Zombine

Banned
I will obviously bag and board my single issues, but the TPB will be dependent on space.

Where's the best place to buy a storage box? Do LCS sell them for the best price, or is something like Amazon the best?

From what I have seen there is next to no discount on long/short boxes at all. You're looking at a $20 day for 1 short box, and 100 bags and 100 boards. It sucks...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
From what I have seen there is next to no discount on long/short boxes at all. You're looking at a $20 day for 1 short box, and 100 bags and 100 boards. It sucks...

Yeah, that's what it is on Amazon. I'll just go buy from my local shop and continue to support them.

Boogiepop

Guys, I'm looking at paperback Fourth World Omnibuses, for like $70 for 2-4. How hard would I have finding 1, how bad would it be to pass these up, and how good are they. Rough decision for me...

Messi

Korupt and Tim, those $10 sketches are so awesome.

I'd definitely be up for this. I've got a handful of books I'll almost definitely never read again that I'd be happy to let someone else have. In particular, I feel bad having Invincible Iron Man OHC sitting on my shelf since I know I'll never read it again since I didn't really like it and I know most other people do like it or would like it.
The only issue for me is that it's kind of a hassle to get to the post office now that I work 8-5, the exact hours that the post office is open.

Loaned some money to a guy on Gaf and didn't get it back. It wasn't a huge bummer. Live and learn.

Poor Kipp :(. Does the gaffer still post?

Starman #47 - #52, #1,000,000: What is going on?
It started slow - catching up with those who stayed behind and then the 1,000,000 issue. And then it jumped into Warp Speed. Grundy on a remote planet!? Travel into the future!? Shade is a black hole!? Travel into the past to meet Jor-El? Landing on Ranagar and Jack Knight is dead?!

So much Hype! Stopped there to go watch Avengers. Good fun but didn't enjoy it as much as Captain America 2 or GOTG. About the same level as the first Avengers for me.

Will now get back to more Starman hype.

Boogiepop

Guys, I'm looking at paperback Fourth World Omnibuses, for like $70 for 2-4. How hard would I have finding 1, how bad would it be to pass these up, and how good are they. Rough decision for me...
Ended up not, as stuff that vintage is more a novelty to me than anything and I wasn't willing to commit.

Also, can anyone post the "Frank the Frank" page for me? I need to show someone and google is utterly failing me...

Owzers

Star Wars Legacy: It's the James Van Der Beek's "I don't want your life" of the star wars universe. Cade's sentiments about what he wants out of life are reaffirmed over and over in the same way until it becomes annoying and you feel like the book is about that constant dialogue exchange instead of the overall plot. Six volumes in and i have soured.

There are FCBD in other countrys on other days.
That's nothing. Check the FCBD site and In many countries it's just one city and even in that one city all you're gonna find is 1-2 stores. Hell, some don't even have any participating stores and are just there to add fluff to the list.

This and you will get them in two weeks.
And this is the problem. Why not now or even a day late? Why 2 weeks? Online campaigns could spread awareness about digital comics as well. This reasoning doesn't fly when we get day and date digital especially with such a global reach.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
That's nothing. Check the FCBD site and In many countries it's just one city and even in that one city all you're gonna find is 1-2 stores. Hell, some don't even have any participating stores and are just there to add fluff to the list.

And this is the problem. Why not now or even a day late? Why 2 weeks? Online campaigns could spread awareness about digital comics as well. This reasoning doesn't fly when we get day and date digital especially with such a global reach.
Because its a Event for print stores.

Sorry that I have to do it, but #DealWithIt

Busaiku

Bleh, the Dark Circle stuff was just parts from the issues themselves.
I guess there was art for Shield too.

Should've gotten Lady Justice or something.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
GAMEPROFF BRINGING DOWN THE HOUSE!!!!!!
Yeah, but what shall I say? I will wait weeks untile I get my FCBD booka, have to wait months until I can read the stuff you guys enjoy right now often wait weeks for new Trades and Hardcovers.

Life aint easy, I were happy as fuck when I always had to wait two weeks.

Dunbar

Hi ComicsGAF,

I'm looking for some trades to buy on FCBD. Can anyone recommend something from pre-1985 DC comics? I have Marvel Unlimited and I've read most of the highly-recommended trades since 1985 for either publisher. I'd really like to read some deep cuts from DC from the 60s, 70s, or early 80s. Any character or creative team will do as long as it's good.

Thanks!

Because its a Event for print stores.

Sorry that I have to do it, but #DealWithIt

rdj-robertdowneyjr-ironman-dealwithit.gif

PsychBat!

Banned
Yeah, but what shall I say? I will wait weeks untile I get my FCBD booka, have to wait months until I can read the stuff you guys enjoy right now often wait weeks for new Trades and Hardcovers.

Life aint easy, I were happy as fuck when I always had to wait two weeks.
You're thinking positive in the end. That's what counts.

Hi ComicsGAF,

I'm looking for some trades to buy on FCBD. Can anyone recommend something from pre-1985 DC comics? I have Marvel Unlimited and I've read most of the highly-recommended trades since 1985 for either publisher. I'd really like to read some deep cuts from DC from the 60s, 70s, or early 80s. Any character or creative team will do as long as it's good.

Thanks!

Hm. I'm not as strong on pre crisis DC. Look into Denny Oneal ras al Guls batman son of the demon. Also look into trades like tales of the demon or Birth of the demon

Also there's the Oneal/Adams Green lantern/Green Arrow trade

Hi ComicsGAF,

Thanks!
Hi, I'm going to pimp some of my favorite books but:

- You should give Kirby's Fourth World a try if you haven't. It's basically Kirby's Old Testament on steroids. There are 4 volumes and it was released in HC and SC format. No idea how available it is though.
Additional Kirby classics collected in the same fashion, that I've read and loved include OMAC and Kamandi, the last boy on Earth.

- Early eighties and continuing with my Darkseid theme: The Great Darkness Saga. Every time someone mentions classic Legion, that's the story I envision, in the same way I picture the Dark Phoenix Saga or DoFP when someone mentions classic X-Men. The Curse is also worth a read.

(and that's pretty much it, I'm not too hot on old DC)

Edit: just checked and New Teen Titans: The Judas Contract is from 1984. It's considered a classic but I think I read it a bit too late as I liked it but didn't love it, the art is great though.

What the fuck is wrong with People who hate The Order. Fucking Amazing game.

I'll say that I liked the game. But I think it was a better technology showcase than it was a game. If we're judging it purely on gameplay, it was a pretty standard third-person shooter. It wasn't bad, but there are certainly better examples of the genre out there when you take away the jaw-dropping visuals. But now that they have the game engine completed, they can make minor tweaks and add new features for the sequel.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Everything that has a character named Galahad in it is motherfucking awesome. There should be a Galahad in everything.

I'll say that I liked the game. But I think it was a better technology showcase than it was a game. If we're judging it purely on gameplay, it was a pretty standard third-person shooter. It wasn't bad, but there are certainly better examples of the genre out there when you take away the jaw-dropping visuals. But now that they have the game engine completed, they can make minor tweaks and add new features for the sequel.
The gunplay is fucking dope.
I think that a second part were the obivious mistakes of the first one are fixed, they could blow the people away. Like in Assassins Creed 2.

Got my AoU tickets! Got my free comics! Divergence, Valiant 25th Anniversary, ANAD Avengers/Uncanny Inhumans, Sonic/Mega Man: Worlds Collide, and Doctor Who (signed by Simon Fraser, who's such an amazing amazing dude).

The gunplay is fucking dope.
I think that a second part were the obivious mistakes of the first one are fixed, they could blow the people away. Like in Assassins Creed 2.

oh, the gunplay was excellent. The Order was a solid game, I'm just saying that it was a bit light on gameplay elements compared to most third-person shooters. It felt pretty bare-bones in the gameplay department.

DC should make a Lois lane solo book. A mix of investigative reporting and capes from an outside perspective. Like the frontline concept.

Written by Rucka

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
and now for a double shot of violence and assassinating:

Deathlok-1-Cover-c9cb6.jpg

Deathlok #1 - cool first issue, especially with the sleeper agent angle. Curious to see where this goes because he's doing some fucked up shit and he doesnt even know it.

but the main event is easily:

portrait_incredible.jpg

Elektra #1-7 - really enjoyed this. much more than I thought I would. The art is fucking amazing in 1-5 (unfortunately it changes in 6-7), but I really like the story. Much like Deadpool, Elektra isnt really a hero, but shes not evil per se. "Im an assassin not a murderer" as she puts it. The villain in the first arc (1-5) is all sorts of creepy, a cannibal that gets the abilities and memories of who he eats, and theres a bunch of familiar faces if you know Marvel's gallery of assassin-y type characters. Great stuff, especially those first 5 issues (man, that art)

Zombine

Banned
Medusa is so Ugu~ but the art for this fall's Inhumans is so wack. I liked that tease for All New Avngers. I'm definitely down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom