• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll admit to probably not having quite the depth and breadth of knowledge that many people here have, but part of the reason for my being here is to work on that.

Just fake it until you make it. It's what most do. When in doubt, start hating on Ultimate Marvel, Millar, Miller, Loeb, Land or anything, really. This is comics. 80% chance that whatever hate it gets is deserved.

Reading comics on a tablet is good...until you have to start cleaning out the fridge.

Is that an euphemism for something? because that sounded like an euphemism for something.

Zombine

Banned
Just fake it until you make it. It's what most do. When in doubt, start hating on Ultimate Marvel, Millar, Miller, Loeb, Land or anything, really. This is comics. 80% chance that whatever hate it gets is deserved.

LOL AYYYY. This is the truth. If you've been following our thread long enough, you know what to say to make people happy.

fauxtrot

Banned
Thanks! And yes, I've only really taken note of it in the last couple weeks and that was basically just watching. I'll admit to probably not having quite the depth and breadth of knowledge that many people here have, but part of the reason for my being here is to work on that.

Well, I mean, she's one of the many positive additions B:TAS made to the comic world.

Welcome! How do you feel about Frank Quitely and Javier Pulido?

We must know.

Darn, you had to remind me of how much of a happier woman I'd be today if, instead of spending way too much money on Steam games I'll never even install, I had spent it on comics I'll probably actually read.

Eh, I don't feel that bad about it since I was basically saving games for when this PC arrived. I've played nothing but Hearthstone for about a year now, to the point where my arms are sore after playing a game with buttons for more than a few hours. My muscle memory is completely shot, I barely made it through the Mortal Kombat X story. At least I didn't skip any fights.

Hearthstone sure does look pretty on this new set-up now. I got 2 free packs today 'cuz apparently the EU servers were down last week, and actually got a Classic card I didn't have (well, I had one but you need two). I made my way through Blackrock Wings 4 and 5 just now and I'm now ready to cheese my way to Legend.

I think Grant Morrison represents everything wrong with comics today.

As bad as Morrison gets, at least he ain't writing no anthropomorphic furry comics like Canales with that Blacksad crap.

Eh, I don't feel that bad about it since I was basically saving games for when this PC arrived. I've played nothing but Hearthstone for about a year now, to the point where my arms are sore after playing a game with buttons for more than a few hours. My muscle memory is completely shot, I barely made it through the Mortal Kombat X story. At least I didn't skip any fights.

One of the golden rules of building a new rig is that you spend at least a month straight playing things that would run in a toaster.

You may be underestimating the number of games I have on Steam, which go on top of (much less) console stuff I need to get around to playing. *coughs*

Thanks! And yes, I've only really taken note of it in the last couple weeks and that was basically just watching. I'll admit to probably not having quite the depth and breadth of knowledge that many people here have, but part of the reason for my being here is to work on that.

Well, I mean, she's one of the many positive additions B:TAS made to the comic world.

Knowledge just comes with time, we won't bite if you don't know everything. Well, I won't, but JC might.

And you like Harley so that makes you a friend.

Tizoc

6fe.jpg

I think I forgot to read JL #40 unless it hasn't released yet @_@

Has anyone ordered any comics from BookDepository and can ascertain the quality of their shipping?

The free international delivery is really tempting.

Identity Crisis was dark and edgy during my formative years when I needed it most.

I'll always love Grant Morrison's Identity Crisis review:

The first time I read it I was kind of outraged. I thought this was just… why? What the fuck is this, really? It wasn’t even normal. It was outrageous. It was preposterous because of the Elongated Man with his arms wrapped several times around the corpse of his wife. I thought something is broken here. Something has gone so wrong in this image.

I think Gambit is banned again

Yup. I've never even read a comic in my life, i've been pretending this whole time. Sometimes i'll buy them to convince myself that I do read comics and continue living my lie of a life

Uh, what i meant to say, was that man these Avengers books by Hickman are crazy! crazy good!

PsychBat!

Banned
I think Gambit is banned again
welp
Yup. I've never even read a comic in my life, i've been pretending this whole time. Sometimes i'll buy them to convince myself that I do read comics and continue living my lie of a life

Uh, what i meant to say, was that man these Avengers books by Hickman are crazy! crazy good!
heh
Sssst Toa_Tak will hear you
he doesn't frequent comicgaf much so no worries

I'm already dead

It's not great. I've ordered RPG books from them before, every book comes in a padded envelope. IST it ain't.
Nothing is as loving and caring as IST, but my last order from then was held in customs for a month and ended up costing me triple the original price.

I guess I might do a test run with something cheap.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Has anyone ordered any comics from BookDepository and can ascertain the quality of their shipping?

The free international delivery is really tempting.

Yep, everything is shipped seperately, in an envelope. I've been lucky enough to never get a book in bad condition though. iirc the last few trades I ordered there all arrived in perfect condition. It does take a while for the books to arrive. If you live in the US, it might take even longer. I'd recommend them, sometimes they're the cheapest option around for me.

Tizoc

Hey Messi.
MESSI.
Why haven't you read any Sana Takeda comics yet mang, her work should be a cornerstone of comics collection.

Nothing is as loving and caring as IST, but my last order from then was held in customs for a month and ended up costing me triple the original price.

I guess I might do a test run with something cheap.

I've never even ordered from IST. I saw Messi's last delivery, complete with giant box of packing peanuts, and decided that I am not about that life. Not even a little. I got stung by customs once on a couple of t-shirts, never again. Nothing's worth that hassle.

I would have to carry it home from the post office as well since anything bigger than a small letter just gets a "sorry we missed you" note to come and collect it. I don't wanna die, man!

I really want the D&D Princes of the Apocalypse book though. I might throw it in with my mic.

Books usually are tax-exempt. Clothes usually aren't.

Comics are a grey area here, since they're counted as magazines which are taxable. I've had friends order stuff with mixed results. Most of the time I'd just rather order from Amazon UK anyway because of free delivery and they can find my house when many other companies can't (there is a house with the same address on the other side of town, we've had each other's mail many times), but the Euro is so shite against Sterling right now. Even the mic and the D&D book is gonna be like €180.

At least when I get that that mic we're totes gonna have a ComicGAF Podcast right, RIGHT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom