• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

TheFlow

Banned
I haven't read this arc yet but if they kill
Saya or Willie
I might be done.
This is hands down the best arc so far from deadly class.

I can't respond to your spoiler without spoiling it if that makes sense. Put it like this some of Marcus friends deserve to be killed. that is all

Messi

This is hands down the best arc so far from deadly class.

I can't respond to your spoiler without spoiling it if that makes sense. Put it like this some of Marcus friends deserve to be killed. that is all

What if I think Marcus deserves to die. He is a shit heel

Owzers

they're out of the playoffs, friend

quit kidding around. Rockets in 6.

I did a small amount of comic reading, finished up the Thors and Infinity Gauntlet SW tie-ins on MU. Both were rather unremarkable. Thors had some thors. SW tie-ins just feel old...both because i had read the SW book monthly and not along side them on MU, and just a general lack of caring about a lot of the side content.

TheFlow

Banned
What if I think Marcus deserves to die. He is a shit heel

the thing about Marcus being a terrible person is that he is fully aware of it now. He got two options go back to being homeless and hunted or survive at a school full of killers and enemies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ultimates #1 - yup thats a pretty fucking good book alright

TheFlow

Banned
3591672-screen+shot+2014-01-22+at+9.49.18+am.png

Saya is one of my favorite characters out of the Remender image books but even she is terrible person.

Ultimates #1 - yup thats a pretty fucking good book alright
#6 is going to make you question everything you ever knew.

TheFlow

Banned
Rocafort is amazing. I'm glad he left Teen Titans to do this.

Probably. But it seems like Willie
's days are fucking numbered, too.

Good rinse
willie had so many chances. It is one thing to not want to kill at an assassin school but then to betray your friend and go after the girl he messed with? like bruh

I wouldn't be surprised if Willie was going to betray them from the start

Started reading Legion Lost by DnA and Coipel. About 4 issues in. This is good comics, especially in contrast to childrens crusade which i read last night. Its pretty interesting to see early Coipel. Hes clearly still figuring things out but you can tell hes gonna be really good later. The inking is a bit rough, turns out Lanning inks too... hes a better writer.

The early 00s coloring isnt actually all that gaudy. Its not close to offensive but its not all that good even if it was good for its time (i guess?). Contrasted with Justin Ponsor, and its kind of crazy to think how far digital coloring has come in 16 years. We still have Frank D'Armata so maybe he havent come as far as Id like.

Im a sucker for the kind of story Legion Lost is. The whole 'weve lost our way, were trying to get home, were not sure what we stood for matters anymore, and the only thing we got is each other' works for me and its executed pretty well up to this point.

Another thing that dates this book is the narration from time to time. It reminds me that writers used to *really* like to give their best shots at prose and stick them in whenever they could.

Mindwipe

What would you guys say are the top 10 Image books?

1) Sunstone
2) Deadly Class
3) East of West
4) Lazarus
5) Prophet
6) Southern Bastards
7) Invincible
8) Saga
9) The Fade Out
10) WicDiv

Trees, Birthright, The Fuse, Manhattan Projects and a few others were pretty near the cut.

Basically, Image has twenty great books.

I started Zenith tonight and just finished the first book and man this is awesome. I was only planning on reading a little but I got hooked and couldn't stop. Kinda reminds me of X-Statix in how Zenith is a popstar like the mutants were celebrities.

Basically, British/Scottish writers are good at writing superheroes

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Extraordinary X-Men #2 continues to feel like the most x-men ass x-men book ive read in many years. I cant even explain why but it does.

PsychBat!

Banned
IST has Abnett and Lannings GOTG Omnibus on sale.. worth getting? How is it compared to Bendis' run (only GOTG I have read)?

I'd say about a million times better than the Bendis run.

Rocket isn't a grumpy weapons expert who complains about the situation he's in every time, he's an adventurous outlaw (who is also a weapons expert) who never runs from a fight. Drax doesn't speak like Thor/Hulk. Star-Lord isn't a clueless semi-suave thief, he's an everyday gun slingin' man trying to make his living around the galaxy after failing doing the hero thing, trying to do it again after shit happens. Gamora is Gamora. Groot is Groot.

I love the DnA run, it was my intro to the modern GotG incarnation and am sad that it's not the same as it once was.

Messi

1) Sunstone
2) Deadly Class
3) East of West
4) Lazarus
5) Prophet
6) Southern Bastards
7) Invincible
8) Saga
9) The Fade Out
10) WicDiv

Trees, Birthright, The Fuse, Manhattan Projects and a few others were pretty near the cut.

Basically, Image has twenty great books.

I could cry. You picked Sunstone as #1 :)

Did you read Death Vigil by Sejic. It's amazing.

Zombine

Banned
I'd say about a million times better than the Bendis run.

Rocket isn't a grumpy weapons expert who complains about the situation he's in every time, he's an adventurous outlaw (who is also a weapons expert) who never runs from a fight. Drax doesn't speak like Thor/Hulk. Star-Lord isn't a clueless semi-suave thief, he's an everyday gun slingin' man trying to make his living around the galaxy after failing doing the hero thing, trying to do it again after shit happens. Gamora is Gamora. Groot is Groot.

I love the DnA run, it was my intro to the modern GotG incarnation and am sad that it's not the same as it once was.

Just started reading the omnibus last night, and this is 100% right.

Zombine

Banned
Walking Dead
Low
Southern Bastards
Rumble
Deadly Class
The Goddamned (Even though this is on a horrible schedule
Velvet
Invincible
Manifest Destiny
East of West

New favorite: The Fix.

I need to revisit Deadly Class, I liked the Vegas stuff and was less into the second trade and ended up bouncing off the third trade before finishing. Think I just need to finish the third trade and figure out if it's just not for me or what. Can't really even pinpoint what I don't really feel for it, it has some great moments but I mostly feel bored between those moments.

Avengers #10-#17: Looks like things are finally moving forward. The Canadian Avengers jobbed real quick. The seven "zones" seem to be heading in a Constructicons Combine direction. Stark is still a dick acting all secretive. Surprised why no one is pressing him on why he is building the Dyson Sphere. (I wonder if Sol's Anvil will show up again).

I especially enjoyed #11, Wake the Dragon - mainly because of Shang-Chi. I had planned to skip the upcoming omnibus but this has got me interested again.

New Avengers #7: Is there some series that was running parallel to this where the Atlantis/Wakanda conflict was taking place?

Aside from that, just the AvsX stuff that came b4

You only get snapshots to drive home how terrible tchalla is at diplomacy, tbh.

I am following that reading order. The snapshots you mentioned was what got me wondering - T'Challa is called into some meeting with Shuri and others where they are discussing some Atlanteans that were arrested by Wakanda and the Wakandan ambassador being killed by Atlanteans. Was there some Black Panther or Namor series also happening around that time?

I am following that reading order. The snapshots you mentioned was what got me wondering - T'Challa is called into some meeting with Shuri and others where they are discussing some Atlanteans that were arrested by Wakanda and the Wakandan ambassador being killed by Atlanteans. Was there some Black Panther or Namor series also happening around that time?

The wakanda/atlantis stuff was probably the most confusing thing for me going through that run. I just breezed past it and stop wondering, but at the same time for spoilery reasons it kind of seems like a weird decision to not make that stuff more explicit.

Size and
price
. The omnibuses are the two in the center. Rest are absolutes.

Absolutes also generally have (often significantly) fewer pages compared to what an omni might have. And don't forget that Absolutes also tend to be very high quality for the physical aspects. Binding, paper, etc. Omnis are quite hit or miss in that regard. Like DC is doing pretty well right now but they also printed stuff like the Brightest Day Fallapartibus in the past.

The wakanda/atlantis stuff was probably the most confusing thing for me going through that run. I just breezed past it and stop wondering, but at the same time for spoilery reasons it kind of seems like a weird decision to not make that stuff more explicit.

Yeah, I think that's what I will end up doing too. This whole reading list I put together is already 120 issues or so long. I don't know if I will be able to finish it this month if I add more.

Top Bottom