• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Is there a reading guide for Civil War II cus I read the free comic day one and that, for some weird reason, takes place after issue 0 that came out today. There seems to be a huge gap between those two issues as well which leads me to believe I need to read some other stuff.

Cape comics are annoying.

Sandfox

Is there a reading guide for Civil War II cus I read the free comic day one and that, for some weird reason, takes place after issue 0 that came out today. There seems to be a huge gap between those two issues, though.

Cape comics are annoying.

The reading order is basically just the number order. The fcbd issue was a preview of the event.

Mifune

Mehmber
I finished Hickman's Fantastic Four run. Good stuff, although It dragged whenever the Inhumans showed up. By the end I was enjoying FF more than the main book.

Sandfox

I love All-New Wolverine so much...

Also, I'm really liking the direction Bendis decided to go with Spider-Man more than I expected.

Owzers

I'm fully caught up on Darth Vader on MU which is issue #12. Aphra's line sums up my thoughts on the book.
"You know, one of these days, I hope we're going to get past this is-he-going-to-murder-me-this-time stage of our relationship"
The book is just a bunch of long Vader pauses surrounded by a half interesting plot that moves slowly and feels repetitive.

Einchy

I finished Hickman's Fantastic Four run. Good stuff, although It dragged whenever the Inhumans showed up. By the end I was enjoying FF more than the main book.

Never read this but it's something that I want to look into one day since I loved Secret Wars so much. SW was so good.

The reading order is basically just the number order. The fcbd issue was a preview of the event.

KK, so I guess I didn't miss anything.

Messi

I started reading Criminal Vol 1 - Coward. Its great so far. Lovely Brubaker writing and Sean Phillips art. But something was off. and it was bugging me for large portions of what I read. The coloring is off. Its not bad but it doesn't look like Bru and Phillips usual work. So I looked it up and it is colored by Val Staples. Does Elizabeth Breitweiser ever take over on Criminal? She is amazing and Phillips art sings with her coloring. Its not a dealbreaker by any means.

Mifune

Mehmber
Never read this but it's something that I want to look into one day since I loved Secret Wars so much. SW was so good.

It's a must-read. Check out Secret Warriors if you haven't yet. Also really good.

Did you read Hickman's Avengers stuff before Secret Wars?

Messi

I can't take this thread seriously when i see D.va avatars. The worst tank...the Toronto Raptors of tanks.

m8....fuk u. I will end u.

--

OMG Amanda Conner Margot Harley Quinn. DOOOOORBZZZ

STL013539-600x923.jpg

Amanda Conners name being a leg tattoo is a nice idea.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
KK, so I guess I didn't miss anything.

Nothing that's been published. The gap was a bit strange, though.

Silver Surfer remains the best Doctor Who book on the stands, and Goldie Vance remains a nice little throwback to all the kid detective stories I used to read.

Still have to get to Future Quest, but I really love that cover.

Mifune

Mehmber
Should I read anything to lead into Hickman's Avengers or just jump in? Saw some people mention Bendis stuff being important.

Luigi87

D.Va is a lot of fun to play as, but them classifying her as a tank seems incorrect. Yeah her defense matrix will block shi-, but she herself is fairly squishy.

Anywho, picked up Spider-Woman today for the Spider-Women event, and Gwenpool #0 'just to have.

diaspora

Civil War II is going to be shit isn't it? Maria Hill is going to fucking ruin everything isn't she? I actually had some level of understanding for Carol's side that wants to use the future powers guy to detect world ending events but Maria-fucking-Hill is doing her damnedest to kill any empathy I have for that side.

edit:
Carol is likely building up to advocating using the future powers to detect and prevent world ending events which she routinely deals with like the idiots experimenting with cosmic cubes. Maria Hill seems to be outright advocating for thought-crimes.

diaspora

Like where does Maria Hill get off saying that villains don't change? She tried to use a Comic Cube to create a fucking dystopian prison town and it blew up in her face obviously, does it make it a given she'll do something that stupid again?
Yes.

Peter's gone out of his way to use Horizon Labs and Parker Industries as a means to give smaller-time street level villains at another shot at a normal life.

Like where does Maria Hill get off saying that villains don't change? She tried to use a Comic Cube to create a fucking dystopian prison town and it blew up in her face obviously, does it make it a given she'll do something that stupid again?
Yes.

Y'see, the prob is that Maria Hill is usually written in the same manner as Cranky Old Rogers, which is really just a way to write Grossly Incompetent Nick Fury.

Too bad it's ending soon.

I'd be perfectly fine with a follow-up booking detailing the adventures of Female Space Indiana Jones and her murderbots, tbqh

diaspora

Old-man Rogers during Time Runs Out was ridiculous too as was Carol. Like, Carol's character makes sense now, she's trying to prevent world ending events; but like why would she go after the Illuminati for doing the same? Steve was stupid because it's not like he had any better ideas.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Soooooooo Squadron Sinister #4

tumblr_nxw0xesrum1ru1hc6o1_500.png

Homage or lawsuit bait? The issue is called "The Dark Night Falls" too lol

Sadist

Civil War II #0 wasn't that bad. Art was nice. But the rest of the story...

Power Man and Ironfist though, that's a joy to read. Spider-Man and Old Man Logan are enjoyable too.

diaspora

Civil War II #0 wasn't that bad. Art was nice. But the rest of the story...

Power Man and Ironfist though, that's a joy to read. Spider-Man and Old Man Logan are enjoyable too.

The art was fantastic. And honestly, I found the parts with Walters and Danvers to be fine it's just when lunatic Hill entered the stage...

Einchy

Y'see, the prob is that Maria Hill is usually written in the same manner as Cranky Old Rogers, which is really just a way to write Grossly Incompetent Nick Fury.

I'd be perfectly fine with a follow-up booking detailing the adventures of Female Space Indiana Jones and her murderbots, tbqh

I kinda hope she becomes a regular on Star Wars since I like her dynamic with Leia and Fake Solo's wife.

Also, holy shit is Star Wars good right now. It's so good that I sorta wish this plotline got turned into a movie.

Can't find an imagine in Google but I love the imagery of those guys breaking into the prison with the star behind them. That shot would look amazing in a movie.

[edit]

TUsccS5.jpg

Sadist

Soooooooo Squadron Sinister #4

tumblr_nxw0xesrum1ru1hc6o1_500.png

Homage or lawsuit bait? The issue is called "The Dark Night Falls" too lol
Homage. It's the second time now; remember the Illuminati fight where Strange kills the Great Society?

Love these nods hehe.

The art was fantastic. And honestly, I found the parts with Walters and Danvers to be fine it's just when lunatic Hill entered the stage...
Well with the rest of the story I refer to the other issues regarding the event hehe. These events start out pretty exciting. But when the twist hits... I want to be wrong though. But probably not :(

I kinda hope she becomes a regular on Star Wars since I like her dynamic with Leia and Fake Solo's wife.

Also, holy shit is Star Wars good right now. It's so good that I sorta wish this plotline got turned into a movie.

Can't find an imagine in Google but I love the imagery of those guys breaking into the prison with the star behind them. That shot would look amazing in a movie.

[edit]

TUsccS5.jpg
Looks awesome

Any particular arc/issues?

I started reading Criminal Vol 1 - Coward. Its great so far. Lovely Brubaker writing and Sean Phillips art. But something was off. and it was bugging me for large portions of what I read. The coloring is off. Its not bad but it doesn't look like Bru and Phillips usual work. So I looked it up and it is colored by Val Staples. Does Elizabeth Breitweiser ever take over on Criminal? She is amazing and Phillips art sings with her coloring. Its not a dealbreaker by any means.

The first Criminal book was from like, 2007. Things are bound to be different when you take a trip in the way-back machine.

I am terrible at aiming sometimes. But D.Va's range is quite small. You are supposed to get up on people.

I tried her for a bit, not really my style. She relies heavily on the charge attack to get her in range for the main guns.

OMG Amanda Conner Margot Harley Quinn. DOOOOORBZZZ

That does look cute. DC going all-in on Harley for the Suicide Squad release window.

Civil War II is going to be shit isn't it?

Probably.

If she was your main she would be your avatar. You would rep your waifu. I can't respect a man who doesn't defend his territory.

What about Mercy? I thought she was your girl.

Between Uncharted and Overwatch I don't know where I'm going to find time to read comics. Dark days ahead.

Man, I already finished Uncharted. Now I'm almost halfway through Doom (which is really very good).

ElNarez

Banned
Unless Kot is writing her? Yeah.

The worst thing? There's almost no explanation as to how we went from the end of Secret Avengers to Maria Hill, Cracking Wise About All That Cool Human Rights Abuse She's Overseeing in Standoff. (There's like, one line in a Cap issue that kinda says "she's just doing one last big dumb criminal thing and bailing out so we don't have to do the bad shit anymore", but, it's way too thin to work.

EVEN GODDAMN GWENPOOL, A COMEDYBOOK ABOUT JOKES, FOUND A WAY TO EXPLAIN M.O.D.O.K..

Goddamnit we need less Nick Spencers and more Chris Hastingses.

Calcium

Banned
Man, I already finished Uncharted. Now I'm almost halfway through Doom (which is really very good).

I'm only 3-4 hours into Uncharted. Every time I go to play something distracts me. Going to try and get the story finished before Overwatch hits. I'd like to play Doom too, but I think that'll have to wait. Probably grab it later in the year when nothing else is coming out.

Hagi

Not really sure why Maria Hill is still even director of shield after Standoff . That should have been the biggest sign to oust her. Is black Fury still around? he seems to have been a bit of a wet fart all things considered.

Owzers

Between Uncharted and Overwatch I don't know where I'm going to find time to read comics. Dark days ahead.

I gave up on buying Uncharted, want to buy Overwatch, and got Doom ps4 in the mail from gamefly and haven't started it because i've been reading COMICS! ( and playing Hearthstone, lots and lots of Hearthstone, and watching nba playoffs). One playoff game takes up most of my possible game time, but i can read comics during the game/hearthstone on ipad.

Buried at the end of an article largely about his new films role, but it sounds like Johns may not be writing any of the ongoing Rebirth books. At least, not anymore.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/05/geoff-johns-dc-films.html

That said, he’s currently taking a break from writing comics for a while. He penned a status-quo-altering one-shot issue called DC Universe: Rebirth, which comes out in a week and was the topic of conversation at today’s journalist gathering — but after that his hands will be too full. Whatever he does next, it’ll be rooted in a belief that DC needs to understand the deep-seated warmth and love that people feel toward its pantheon. “There’s a lot of emotional underpinning of the characters and the stories," he said. "It's not that people take it for granted. They’re just not as aware of it. But when it’s not there, you really feel that emptiness.”

Top Bottom