• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Waid and Samnee? I'm loving it so far. I tried the first five issues or so of Edmonson and Noto's run on Marvel Unlimited but I couldn't get into it. This has been the opposite.
Edmonsons Run. Have that trade for months on my Backlog.
Cant believe how fast I currently go through it, its one Trade per day, so only 4 weeks before I am at zero.

Need new shelf.

Got my new Grayson Trade, cant fucking wait to read it ar work tomorrow.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I meant to share this with you guys last month, and I completely forgot, but I finished Issue #4 of my comic book, The Gamma Gals! It feels so good to finally finish this volume of the series. I started it last April, and wrote, penciled, inked, colored, and lettered the entire thing. It was such an exhausting and fun project to work on. I still have a Halloween and Christmas issue (Issue #5 and #6) that I'm going to be doing, but they are stand alone stories not related to this Zero G arc from issues #1-4. After this, I'm taking a break from superheroics, and am working on a different project in a different genre, but that won't be for a bit.

I'm just so happy and relieved to have actually completed a story arc for my book. I set out with the challenge to myself to try and complete just one issue, let alone 4. Feels good, man.

13096262_10207288671348354_6103216495472892092_n.jpg

Oh yeah, the issues are on Kindle and comixology for digital, and at Indy Planet for the physical version if any of you were curious/interested. I just couldn't contain my excitement/relief for this thing!

tim1138

ah gotcha, I guess I was reading into your question wrong

Yeah definitely agree about Quitely. Even in his lesser work like New X-Men always contained some really interesting pages. One thing that I think is kind of rarely discussed about Quitely is that his work is actually really hard to draw. I mean taking away all his ingenuity and design that really pops in something like We3, his sense of space, in particular the way planes face and interact with each other, is remarkable.

There are very few artists that create consistently interesting relationships between their shapes and planes. Moebius and Darrow both have that quality; I can't really think of others.

Quitely also has amazing sense for eye direction. As an example, Ive added my notes on why this page works, its the opening page of his New X-Men run.

8xvSrch.jpg

Think of what this page accomplishes.

Wolverine attacking sentinel in background. Cyke attacking the head of the severed head of the sentinel which is on the ground, the mutant they are saving is under the hand of the destroyed sentinel, and the location is easily set with an understated background. A clear sense of scale and position is established. All of that in a splash page that is super easily readable. Its fucking masterful. Most artists can't pack that much info into a 5 panel page without fucking it up.

But sure, people look at his faces and ask why his women aren't pretty. As if Quitely were interested in romanticizing human faces. To get back to Jupiters Legacy, yeah I agree that you don't really know where its going until the end. It left me hungry for the next installment but not unsatisfied. Tricky thing, that.

I missed the Quitely lovefest, how sad. :(

You should do more of these annotated posts though ed, that was awesome. As a counterpoint you should pick a shitty artist like Brett Booth or Tony Daniel and pick it apart.

Was not a fan. BKV never gave me a reason to care about any of those people.

Hmm, thats.. yeah. Makes sense. Only character that had what could pass for an arc was the gay guy. Everybody else was pretty dang static.

Well, the actor saying that he hated the damn thing right after being asked to take care of it was a nice bit too, but thats about it.

Well done he could really become Batmans Marvel.

Isnt that what Daredevil is?

American Alien's last issue was kinda meh compared to the rest of the series, which also means the issue is still good. Not sure why
Lobo
was in it though. Sometimes it seems like Landis just likes to throw random DC characters in the mix of his stories to show he "gets them" too. It worked with Dick and Oliver Queen in issue #4 I think but that time Deathstroke showed up, and now
Lobo
, I'm just like, huh?

Yeah I'm really conflicted on the issue. I think it's great on its own which I guess works great with the whole run but I just sort of expected something different from the last issue. I guess you know who he is at that point and that was the books point but at the same time it doesn't feel like it's making a strong case for that.

Great book and I definitely recommend it. Just maybe an anticlimactic end but that's not really a bad thing.

Edit: On a side note for other conclusions Martian Manhunter was a great ending and pretty damn dark. I'm really curious what we see of Jonn next.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Help I was hacked

Figboy, congrats! I'll check it out.

Thanks so much!

I'm really enjoying this Quitely discussion. I remember when I first came across his work, I was initially unimpressed. Wasn't a fan of his style, I guess. I don't know when or how it happened, but something about his work clicked with me, maybe it was the All Star Superman or New X-Men stuff, but I started loving his work. Fascinating artist. He has such a great eye for composition, movement, and scale/scope, among other things. I really enjoy looking at his pages.

Yeah definitely agree about Quitely. Even in his lesser work like New X-Men always contained some really interesting pages. One thing that I think is kind of rarely discussed about Quitely is that his work is actually really hard to draw. I mean taking away all his ingenuity and design that really pops in something like We3, his sense of space, in particular the way planes face and interact with each other, is remarkable.

There are very few artists that create consistently interesting relationships between their shapes and planes. Moebius and Darrow both have that quality; I can't really think of others.

Quitely also has amazing sense for eye direction. As an example, Ive added my notes on why this page works, its the opening page of his New X-Men run.

8xvSrch.jpg

Wolverine attacking sentinel in background. Cyke attacking the head of the severed head of the sentinel which is on the ground, the mutant they are saving is under the hand of the destroyed sentinel, and the location is easily set with an understated background. A clear sense of scale and position is established. All of that in a splash page that is super easily readable. Its fucking masterful. Most artists can't pack that much info into a 5 panel page without fucking it up.

But sure, people look at his faces and ask why his women aren't pretty. As if Quitely were interested in romanticizing human faces. To get back to Jupiters Legacy, yeah I agree that you don't really know where its going until the end. It left me hungry for the next installment but not unsatisfied. Tricky thing, that.

This is amazing. I did something like for a Sean Murphy Hellblazer page ages ago, lost to the wilds of time I suppose.

Owzers

Doom is filling in until Overwatch gets here. It's actually really good. It's stupid, but it's the best kind of stupid.

Between these two, 2016 is the year to Make FPS Great Again.

I'm going to start Doom tonight before the Raptors continue to pretend they are an nba team.

This is amazing. I did something like for a Sean Murphy Hellblazer page ages ago, lost to the wilds of time I suppose.

You should do more of these annotated posts though ed, that was awesome. As a counterpoint you should pick a shitty artist like Brett Booth or Tony Daniel and pick it apart.

Thanks, y'all. I enjoy breaking down comics art. It reminded me I did a small art breakdown of couple pages from Uncanny X-Force for a now defunct small online comics magazine back in the day. After digging through my docs, I found it. Here it is, unedited from 2012. I don't even remember if they decided to publish it. Im kind of taken back how poorly it reads but here you go.

I would argue that comics art is unlike any other type of art due to its innate functionality. Sure, one could argue all art tells a story, but comic art serves a story above all. Or rather, good comic art serves a story well. The technical rules to good art apply themselves in a warped fashion. Comics is like some punk bastard child with an abstract sense of what constitutes technically sound art. No image save maybe splash pages is meant to stand alone. All panels work within context.

One of the recent comics I’ve had the pleasure of reading is Remender’s Uncanny X-Force. Particularly, the first story arc, The Apocalypse Solution. For this article, I’ll be looking analysing Opena’s pencilwork and Dean (da God) White’s amazing colors and how the art serves the direction of the story.

Page 1: Inversion
We dive into the story.

The page has two vertical panels.

The colors pull attention where the artists want it to. In the first panel, Deadpools cool white colors stand out lightly against the green while the reds in the eye and the X’s contrast heavily. Deadpool stands atop the panel, and that’s where details are concentrated. The joke sets up.

The composition of the first panel is reversed and the joke is delivered. Deadpool has dived down and is in midair at the bottom of the panel. The green cascades down from the top now rather than falling down.

One strange detail I noticed is Deadpool’s odd perspective in relation to his jumping point. If you traced his trajectory to a jumping point, the point doesn’t make sense for him to fall from in relation to the structure behind him. Just an odd thing for Opena to miss.

Page 2:
5 panel structure with of varying sizes. The biggest one is the second panel.

The first panel is a ho hum continuation of the first page action.

The second panel has great, great composition. It is a phenomenal panel. Deadpool’s pose is static after a state of dynamism. The whole focus of this structure is the small door at the bottom of the inverted pyramid. It’s the next point in the story and this panel does a great job of subconsciously letting you know that.

Just look at how many things are pointing to that tiny little door or how things point to things that eventually point to the door. The vibrant cascade that falls from the statue’s mouth meets Deadpool’s body whose limbs extend out to the door. The swords he holds point to the door. The green lighting shines brightest at the door. The pyramid is upside down so the edges point toward the door. Everything points to the door because that’s where the story is going. Good comic book art communicates where the story is directed.

The third, fourth and fifth panel are of the same size in a comic where panel sizes vary widely. When this happens, it is because the creators are establishing a pattern so there may be a twist. Panel 3. Deadpool skips towards the door. Panel 4. Deadpools enters through the door. A large statue is situated above the door. Since the statue is the dominant figure in the panel where lines do not converge to a point, we know that the statue is the focus of this panel. not Deadpool. Panel 5, focus is maintained on the door. the twist is the statue isn’t a statue at all.

You can think of three panels at the end of a page like a joke. There is a build up of expectation and there is a twist. We could really begin at panel 2. Our destination is set past the door at the base of the inverted pyramid. Panels 3 and 4, we travel to our destination. Panel 5. There is a danger after passing the door that our protagonist knows nothing about. This creates dramatic irony and advances the story.

VanWinkle

8xvSrch.jpg

I'm not a big Quietly fan, but I would NEVER say he's a bad artist. He's clearly good. Actually, the thing is, I think I would like his art a lot more if he had a better colorist. I've always disliked the coloring on his stuff much more than the line work. (Although, that panel you posted looks great)

I can't believe you would put Booth and Daniels together. Daniels is way better.

Started Gotham Central which I stumbled across at the library. It's pretty amazing. Have to wait until next week to pull the next book though :(. Going to start using the library while I have the chance this summer. Unfortunately their cape stuff is literally 90% X-Men or Spider-Man.

They also have all the Absolute Sandman's, which I'm absolutely going to start reading.

Done with Infinity and all the in-between issues of Avengers/New Avengers. It was ok, as far as events go but still a little bit of a letdown. Had some nice moments though. I still don't know why Hobo Garrus, Mordin and Liara were helping Thanos.

Hopefully normal service resumes with New Avengers #12 and there are no more rest-stops along the way.

They also have all the Absolute Sandman's, which I'm absolutely going to start reading.

GOAT.

squadr0n

Anyone read Uncanny Avengers #9? I dropped it after issue 3 because I wasnt a fan of the art at all or the first story arc but was very surprised with this new arc after hearing about on Kotaku of all places. The art is great and this new story line could be really good. Only issues I had with it were Rogue and Gambits designs. Wish Remmender was still on it though.

On a side note, I never read Rage of Ultron. Tbh I didnt know Remmender and Opena were on it and after the horrible Age of Ultron comic from Bendis I was not about to check RoU out. How was it received on here? About to order it on Amazon with the Uncanny Avengers omni.

PsychBat!

Banned
On a side note, I never read Rage of Ultron. Tbh I didnt know Remmender and Opena were on it and after the horrible Age of Ultron comic from Bendis I was not about to check RoU out. How was it received on here? About to order it on Amazon with the Uncanny Avengers omni.

Most people thought it was weird but I personally loved everything about it. It hit me at home. I recommend it. Beautiful art, great dialogue and overall just a provoking read (at least near the end).

Anyone read Uncanny Avengers #9? I dropped it after issue 3 because I wasnt a fan of the art at all or the first story arc but was very surprised with this new arc after hearing about on Kotaku of all places. The art is great and this new story line could be really good. Only issues I had with it were Rogue and Gambits designs. Wish Remmender was still on it though.

I really hate Gambit's design but Rogue's doesn't bother me too much. I've been kind of meh on the book as a whole though.

Mindwipe

It's pretty decent. Nothing earth shattering, but it reads like "here is a good, safe Avengers book for people who watch Age of Ultron to pick up, so they don't have to touch the clusterfuck that is the AoU book." And it is.

Hagi

I quite liked Rage of Ultron but the way Remender wrote Hank really bugged me especially after reading Avengers A.I. The art is godlike.

frye

I liked it but I was 1) fiending for the return of my favourite monthly superhero comic in any form after its untimely demise at the hands of AXIS and 2) under the impression that Remender would be continuing the loose plot threads in a new book, which didn't end up happening

also keep in mind that Opena doesn't actually draw all of it

I quite liked Rage of Ultron but the way Remender wrote Hank really bugged me especially after reading Avengers A.I. The art is godlike.

Man, avengers ai was some flash in a pan stuff. Only really good thing that writer ever wrote, and he nailed it with almost the whole cast.

Hagi

Man, avengers ai was some flash in a pan stuff. Only really good thing that writer ever wrote, and he nailed it with almost the whole cast.

Yup it's the only book I've read from Humphries I actually like it had some really good character work with Hank that was largely ignored everywhere else. Shame really, I should pick up the trades at some point.

Top Bottom