• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Owzers

dcbs shipment should arrive the first week of June, that's one week after DC Universe Rebirth comes out. Surely it will not be spoiled by then.

I'll always have Overwatch.

TheFlow

Banned
Future Quest #1

this is about to be my favorite new series isn't it.

The whole birdman reveal was so epic. I love how all the characters are being introduced in a easy to follow manner. Way less chaotic than I thought it would be.

5/5.

edit: this is #7 in sales on CMX. should be way higher.

TheFlow

Banned
Civil War #0

is 5 fucking dollars for 22 pages? are you serious marvel. and not only is this 5 dollars but all 7-8 issues are 5 dollars? guess I am waiting to read this in trade format.

I don't mind paying 4-5 bucks for marvel titles and this is coming from a guy who bought last days of magic for 6 dollars but this? nahhh

Done with Zenith. Phase IV was great, I can't decide if I liked this or III more. This had a bunch of great twists and ideas thrown around. It was cool to see Zenith himself really mature a bit in his own ways throughout.

zzzenith.com was dope too

Glad I picked this up. Was pricey, but I loved it. I somehow managed to finish this and X-Statix this week so I'm pretty proud of myself.

Owzers

Civil War #0

is 5 fucking dollars for 22 pages? are you serious marvel. and not only is this 5 dollars but all 7-8 issues are 5 dollars? guess I am waiting to read this in trade format.

I don't mind paying 4-5 bucks for marvel titles and this is coming from a guy who bought last days of magic for 6 dollars but this? nahhh

by the time you read Civil War 2 the Marvel Universe will never be the same again. It's your choice though.

Rainy

Banned
I've read the first 5 volumes of Ms. Marvel (2014) and it's great. Being brown myself it's pretty rad seeing a brown superhero! And Kamala is so likable.

Continuing my legion lost read, this is a remarkably enjoyable read. Surprised its not more popular
I'm assuming you mean the DnA/Copiel one right?

I know! It's the book I read to get into Legion. Very accessible. I bring it up here and there but it never moves the needle :(

That mini lead to a whole lengthy and fun run. But DC never acknowledges it via trades. Nor is out on CMX yet. Maybe one day.

For me that's my legion since it's the one I started with.

MartyStu

I hope Marvel has a better plan for Hank Pym than 'turns evil due to Ultron's influence.'

I really would hate to see Rage of Ultron wasted.

Christ those spoilers. Legit shook right now.

Pacific Rim: Tales from the Drift #4
A) Holy shit I thought this book was done, considering the sheer gap between this issue and the last.

B) I still have no idea what to say about this book. It exists, I guess?

Batman Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #6
Aaaawww what a heartwarming ending. Great ending to an equally great crossover. I still wish it had been a Robins/TMNT crossover, but this did very well. I really enjoyed it.

"No more words. Only blood."
Detective comics #23.2 by Matt Kindt and Neil Googe
It was included in the Suicide Squad trade. It was fucking stupid. Especially the story arc that followed her afterwards. Whole thing was trash. God that book is disappointment incarnate.
I was totally goofing on the Pandora's Box thing but: man what if

what if that had been a throughline in all of Johns' post new 52 work

what if he had been exploring this theme all along

what if he got much less credit than he deserved
In his Green Lantern run,
he does show the Hand of Creation, and it is blue...Granted it's a reach, but still. Question is though: how long has this been a thing. Johns is akin to Hickman, in that he's definitely a long-term story kind of guy. At least from what I've read. Every arc sets up for the next and the next and so on and so forth. So how fucking long has THIS been the endgame?
I hope Marvel has a better plan for Hank Pym than 'turns evil due to Ultron's influence.'

I really would hate to see Rage of Ultron wasted.

I'm still upset that Remender's post-Axis Unity Squad isn't the current one. Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Sabretooth, Captain America (Sam Wilson), Brother Voodoo, Rogue, and The Vision. Granted some of those stayed, but I'm upset the rest didn't. More upset that Stegman is doing the art and not Acuna.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Christ those spoilers. Legit shook right now.

Pacific Rim: Tales from the Drift #4
A) Holy shit I thought this book was done, considering the sheer gap between this issue and the last.

B) I still have no idea what to say about this book. It exists, I guess?

It still saddens me that this didn't turn out better. That world is perfect for a comic book.

tim1138

Continuing my legion lost read, this is a remarkably enjoyable read. Surprised its not more popular

Legion Lost is very good, I'd say it's one of the three essential Legion stories with the Great Darkness Saga and Legion of Three Worlds. I just don't think there's a lot of interest in the Legion these days.

They launched a whole lot of new books all at once. I'm not surprised it got lost in the shuffle. No pun intended. For me, it's one of those books I just never got around to.

Different book. Before DC reappropriated the name for a crappy N52 launch book, there was an excellent 12 issue miniseries by Abnett, Lanning, and Coipel. If you have any interest in the Legion it's well worth reading.

To think, people talking about the Legion and GrandHarrier is nowhere in sight

Zombine

Banned
I'm going to spoil Overwatch's story right now:

You play one of a couple game types, and one team loses while the other wins.

When you unlock loot crates sometimes you get skins.

If you play well you can end up with a good K/D

Launchpad will never be in a POTG cam

Messi

I'm going to spoil Overwatch's story right now:

You play one of a couple game types, and one team loses while the other wins.

When you unlock loot crates sometimes you get skins.

If you play well you can end up with a good K/D

Launchpad will never be in a POTG cam

Overwatch has a story m8. You just don't know where to find it.

New Avengers #17 - #18: This was soo good. Makes me even sadder that the Hickman writing New Gods/Superman rumour was false. :(

Avengers #28: And surprisingly for me, this has been the stand-out issue in the whole run to this point. The whole conversation with Bruce and Stark and the suitcase and the tranquilisers was brilliantly done.

Avengers #29 - #34: I saw the cover page and was afraid it was going to be another event (-_-) but this was fairly self contained. A pretty decent arc.

Rebirth SPOILERS:

It might seem like a cool easter egg that Dr. Manhattan created the universe but I fear how this is going to work if the characters are fully integrated. Especially with how Before Watchmen was received.

And with this idea coming from Didio and Johns instead of someone anyone else, I am not holding my breath. Highly possible they wanted a Batman vs Rosarch fight and then retconned everything else to make that fight happen. And with Didio's statements about revealing Joker's real identity, watch it be the Comedian or something.

Might still buy the book on Wednesday though just to see how it plays out...

Done with Zenith. Phase IV was great, I can't decide if I liked this or III more. This had a bunch of great twists and ideas thrown around. It was cool to see Zenith himself really mature a bit in his own ways throughout.

zzzenith.com was dope too

Glad I picked this up. Was pricey, but I loved it. I somehow managed to finish this and X-Statix this week so I'm pretty proud of myself.

you've done well my son

Hagi

Power man and Iron fist #4

what a great conclusion to the arc. Luke cage throwing danny because he did it with wolverine was so funny. Also lion king references? check

My only complaint is jessica being the stay at home mommy every issue when she was once a crime fighter herself.

HEROES FOR HIRE ARE BACK.

Jess is getting her own book no? I'm not imagining that I don't think...

ElNarez

Banned
In his Green Lantern run,
he does show the Hand of Creation, and it is blue...Granted it's a reach, but still. Question is though: how long has this been a thing. Johns is akin to Hickman, in that he's definitely a long-term story kind of guy. At least from what I've read. Every arc sets up for the next and the next and so on and so forth. So how fucking long has THIS been the endgame?

the blue hand is straight up from the original Crisis, actually

xptoxyz

Recently read Superior Spidey, just 1-31 no cross-over issues or anything else. Found it enjoyable. Is Amazing 2014 a good read/place to continue on with spider? Almost 1/3 seems the Spider-Verse event and I don't know how that was received.

Also is Millar's Old Man Logan good by itself?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Recently read Superior Spidey, just 1-31 no cross-over issues or anything else. Found it enjoyable. Is Amazing 2014 a good read/place to continue on with spider? Almost 1/3 seems the Spider-Verse event and I don't know how that was received.

Also is Millar's Old Man Logan good by itself?
Read Spider-Verse and skip to ASM 2015.

And Old Man Logan is amazing.

Calcium

Banned

I'm reading Amazing 2014 currently and I'm enjoying it. If you liked Superior I say go ahead and keep going. Amazing 2014 isn't as good as Superior, but it is fun seeing Peter adapt to his new position in life and all that comes with it.

xptoxyz

Read Spider-Verse and skip to ASM 2015.

Thanks for the quick reply. So don't bother with stuff from that series other than the event itself? Also should I keep to the core issues only, or any good stuff on "Edge of" (tie-in).

Marvel events seem largely disliked by the public (maybe I have the wrong impression). Is it usually writers not doing right by the characters when trying to create conflicts or large events? Good concepts in theory badly put into practice?

Also recently read a bit of Inhumans and Doc. Strange, having never before read anything from the former, and only seeing the latter in crossovers. Is there any good arc with the Illuminati? From my understanding they had an important part in starting the universe-merging event, but that seems so big that I may save that for another time...

edit:
I'm reading Amazing 2014 currently and I'm enjoying it. If you liked Superior I say go ahead and keep going. Amazing 2014 isn't as good as Superior, but it is fun seeing Peter adapt to his new position in life and all that comes with it.

Thanks for the input :D Might consider checking the whole series out, since it's not that big.

Calcium

Banned
Thanks for the quick reply. So don't bother with stuff from that series other than the event itself? Also should I keep to the core issues only, or any good stuff on "Edge of" (tie-in).

I'll just be sticking with the core issues. I read on Amazon that the Spider-Verse OHC isn't printed in chronological order which is enough for me to pass on it unfortunately. It'd just be a pain in the ass to read it the right way.

I thought Amazing 2014 was pretty weak. I dropped it myself. I was interested in Spider-Verse but all of the things I've read about it turn me off of it to be honest.

Calcium

Banned
I am years behind on ASM because everytime I want to read the 2014 run I am bored to death after a couple of penals...

image.php

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I only read Action Comics out of the many superman books and I'm confused as all fuck

How is Clark dying? Who's this double? WTF is happening, pointless me reading this if I need to read another 3 superman books

Top Bottom