• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

I miss good/interesting comics writing on blogs in general
Why go anywhere when your pal ed is deconstructing art on a level never seen before right here on neo gaming age forums dot com

P7h6BKt.jpg

They managed to make comics people want to buy but sized them to keep people from reading them, truly the best collections.

Well really depends on the book, some Omni's are basically just deluxe size because they collect short but complete runs of say ~20 issues. Then you have the 20 lb (9kg) ones that uh assume the position.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Just realized how much Image has been killing it lately. Aside from Saga, books like East of West, Lazarus, and Deadly Class were never on my radar. I can't believe I've been missing some of the best stuff that all of my go to writers are working on.

Image has become how I find my go to writers these days. For instance Joshua Williamson has quickly become a favorite of mine thanks to Birthright and Nailbiter. I'm interested to see what people think of his Rebirth Flash.

Zombine

Banned
Did that dog die? I can't tell. If you read it the other way it's put back together.

Maybe it's both dead and alive. Like the NX.

Tyrant raving about Zenith makes me think I should start that next after I am done with Avengers/New Avengers.

Finished up the Usagi Yojimbo Fantagraphics collection. Great stuff. Don't think there was a dud story in the bunch. Enjoyed them in all the different forms from the one-shots to the longer stories like Dragon Bellow Conspiracy. Really appreciated the attention to continuity across the stories with all the characters coming and going. There's an eclectic cast of secondary characters that complement Usagi nicely. My favourite probably being Gen. Loved the stories he appeared in and the back and forth with Usagi.

Can't wait to get cracking on the Dark Horse saga collections now.

Such a lovely collection. Like you said, no filler or duds. Some of the stories are heartbreaking. (A Mother's Love and the last page of The Duel). Broken Ritual was a standout for me too.

Gen is so good. Based on Mifune from the Yojimbo/Sanjuro movies, and it shows.

So Bloodshot's book just changed its name to "Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps" and oh god someone please help me I rolled my eyes so hard the retina detached.

So 90s. I'm just waiting for the half jackets and pouches.

H.A.R.D. Corps was legit the title of a 90's comic. So they're just reintroducing it.

She eats butts and kicks nuts

Uhhhhh.....okay. I think you got that mixed up though. :)

Moebius Alert:

Comixology has Angel Claws for all of $2. Not for the prude

You guys and your Moebius. What was so great about his stuff?

Oh good a new "let's start shit" gif

This won't be overused at all.

How did Chris Evans even become a meme?

That's because DC has done a shit job putting out LoSH collections and keeping the ones they have released in print. There's no good reason why you shouldn't be able to buy trades of all of the Levitz/Giffen or Five Years Later or Threeboot eras.

Watchmen is the only thing DC keeps in print so Alan Moore never gets the rights back.

Did somebody say Gotham Central? Why, look what came in the mail!

Many thanks to tragicomedy for this most kingly gift. Certainly made my week!

Just as Sunstone dried up too. Can't wait to dig into it.

Tragicomedy is good people.

The next Sunstone trade isn't too far off.

She doesn't photograph well. It's a pretty dope statue.

If that DC One-Million omnibus should topple, I tremble to think of what would happen to poor Chun.

Did that dog die? I can't tell. If you read it the other way it's put back together.

Maybe it's both dead and alive. Like the NX.

They basically made Dr. Manhattan into DC's version of Molecule Man. So he can probably put the dog right back together.

Tyrant raving about Zenith makes me think I should start that next after I am done with Avengers/New Avengers.
If you like early Morrison it's definitely worth a read. First two books are good but it becomes really special in the third. Lots of multiversal shenanigans and cosmic stuff starting there.

Owzers

What happens when you turn on your tv and only the sound works and a strip at the top across the screen show the picture while the rest of the tv looks like a a dead tv/gradiated greys/blacks/whites?

tim1138

I just read 5000 km per second. The story was fairly bittersweet, but Fior's watercolors are beautiful. I really liked how the palette changed depending on the which character was the focus. It also really made me want to go back to Egypt and explore the southern part of the country and not just Cairo and Alexandria.

VanWinkle

This omnibus is definitely rough to read in the beginning because of it's size, weight, and binding. Over 1400 pages. It should be a little easier about 250 pages in when I don't have to hold down the pages, but still, I pretty much have to confine it to my desk to read.

rszimag0068.jpg

Right now, like 50 pages in, it's pretty annoying.

frye

Why go anywhere when your pal ed is deconstructing art on a level never seen before right here on neo gaming age forums dot com

it's true that there's occasionally decent posts here, so maybe comicsgaf wasn't a mistake after all

all the former good ones work in the comics biz now

pretty much

at this point i'd even be happy with something like comics alliance c. 2010/11 even with the boring posts about toys or whatever i didn't care about because man, there's not really that anymore is there?

also: bvs is ok, lookin forward to the 3 hour long version w/ Jena Malone tbh

at this point i'd even be happy with something like comics alliance c. 2010/11 even with the boring posts about toys or whatever i didn't care about because man, there's not really that anymore is there?

shit is a wasteland. Either niggas got jobs in the industry, stopped reading comics, or just stop blogging about em period

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Maybe omnibus volumes are too long and you just lose interest?
Its the handling. My kitchen table is to low to read something im a confortable way.

If someone has blog recommendions i am all in.

Still looking for a good website that deconstructs Watchmen in a great way, would love to have something like this to read.
Also I am stupid and didnt understood why there are the Black Frightener Comics in the Comic

Zombine

Banned
Did they really? I thought it was pretty funny. People need to lighten up.

People seriously need to lighten up. Robbie Rodriguez threatening Cho over Twitter is still the most lol-worthy comic event of the past 3 years though.

Pretty sure there's only like 3 dudes in comics right now that could beat anyone up.

it's true that there's occasionally decent posts here, so maybe comicsgaf wasn't a mistake after all

pretty much

also: bvs is ok, lookin forward to the 3 hour long version w/ Jena Malone tbh

CA is barely a step above Newsarama/CBR nowadays. I mean, it's not as bad as those, so i guess that means it's one of the best comics sites by default

i didn't know Jena Malone was in the R-rated cut. This is the best news i've heard all day

frye

^^^ yeah, a lot of CA is like... set pics of live action stuff these days
shit is a wasteland. Either niggas got jobs in the industry, stopped reading comics, or just stop blogging about em period

as corny as it sounds, online comics criticism used to be... quite good? like, probably better than tv criticism ever was (aside from guys like Andy Greenwald who i like) but it's really fucking dire/absent these days

Sequart seems to have decent articles at times. It is about the only comics website I seem to have in my bookmarks. (And a couple of sections of CBR).

^^^ yeah, a lot of CA is like... set pics of live action stuff these days

as corny as it sounds, online comics criticism used to be... quite good? like, probably better than tv criticism ever was (aside from guys like Andy Greenwald who i like) but it's really fucking dire/absent these days

Which were the Big Sites/Reviewers?

People seriously need to lighten up. Robbie Rodriguez threatening Cho over Twitter is still the most lol-worthy comic event of the past 3 years though.

Pretty sure there's only like 3 dudes in comics right now that could beat anyone up.

Tom King (of the CIA) probably knows 21 different ways to kill you with his pencil.

Messi

Who? Capullo is definitely one. CIAs own Tom King too.

arkon

Such a lovely collection. Like you said, no filler or duds. Some of the stories are heartbreaking. (A Mother's Love and the last page of The Duel). Broken Ritual was a standout for me too.

Gen is so good. Based on Mifune from the Yojimbo/Sanjuro movies, and it shows.

Yeah, he does the heartbreaking or bittersweet stuff so well. Some of the final pages to the stories are exemplary.

Top Bottom