• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

VanWinkle

CNWzWgSUsAAbkYF.jpg

A brawl ensued.

This picture cracks me up

as corny as it sounds, online comics criticism used to be... quite good? like, probably better than tv criticism ever was (aside from guys like Andy Greenwald who i like) but it's really fucking dire/absent these days

They shut down Grantland and The Dissolve, too. No room for niggas just talking about the good stuff, gotta post about Natalie Portman dropping out of Thor 3 in 2018 or whatever the fuck, or live set pics of the Flash

frye

Which were the Big Sites/Reviewers?

well, i dunno if how big any of them were in terms of reading audience (probably not very), but a few people who resonated with me were: david brothers (4thletter, works for image now), tucker stone (factual opinion, works for nobrow iirc), tim o'neil (the hurting, does stuff for the av club), plok (https://circumstantial.wordpress.com/), the mindless crew at mindlessones.com, the savage critics crew at savagecritic.com, the funnybookbabylon crew, geoff klock, sean witzke, matt seneca, chad nevett, tim callahan, and other guys like that

recently, i've liked colin smith (too busy thinking about comics) and zainab akhtar (comics and cola) but both these folks quit recentish too

They shut down Grantland and The Dissolve, too. No room for niggas just talking about the good stuff, gotta post about Natalie Portman dropping out of Thor 3 in 2018 or whatever the fuck, or live set pics of the Flash

grantland shutting down fucking sucked, especially now that all their best writers are dispersed all over the internet to lesser websites

tim1138

grantland shutting down fucking sucked, especially now that all their best writers are dispersed all over the internet to lesser websites

To be fair, Grantland's days were numbered the day Simmons left ESPN. His new site is going to have quite a few Grantland alums, so maybe he can recapture the magic.

Vic_Viper

This omnibus is definitely rough to read in the beginning because of it's size, weight, and binding. Over 1400 pages. It should be a little easier about 250 pages in when I don't have to hold down the pages, but still, I pretty much have to confine it to my desk to read.

rszimag0068.jpg

Right now, like 50 pages in, it's pretty annoying.

What is that, Teen Titans? I haven't had a problem with any of the ones I've read so far but none of them are 1400 pages lol.

Hagi

So new 52 Clark is getting killed off presumably and pre 52 Clark is going to be the main Superman now who isn't chinese because he is on new 52 earth because of some event called Convergence. Is Lois and Clark any good? It feels like it's something I should be reading considering he has a son now who is going to be the new Superboy.

TheFlow

Banned
So new 52 Clark is getting killed off presumably and pre 52 Clark is going to be the main Superman now who isn't chinese because he is on new 52 earth because of some event called Convergence. Is Lois and Clark any good? It feels like it's something I should be reading considering he has a son now who is going to be the new Superboy.

new 52 is alive and will be depowered. His powers go to the new chinse one.

pre new 52 is just older and has a son.

I think

Zombine

Banned
That whole
Ed Sullivan + Dummy standoff with Brian Epstein
in The Fifth Beatle is one of the greatest moments in all of comics. It's legit poetry and the absurdity of it makes me laugh. It's so damn charming.

It's beautiful and funny and sad and marks a real turning point in the 60s. And that spread...it's haunting.

Yeah I grabbed this, still have to read it

I picked up The Cat's Eyes when that was two bucks and I thought it was pretty good. Great art.
I like both a lot but I kind of wish Jodo wasn't Moebius's most present collaborator. Jodo is a good writer, but he becomes super dependent on his writers to pull off his ideas. Plus, Jodo's dialogue is kind of oddly declarative

great post or greatest post
pretty impressive how Morrison was able to lowkey make a statement on the nature of deconstructive criticism. The crazy thing is Morrison can do this pretty often.

shit is a wasteland. Either niggas got jobs in the industry, stopped reading comics, or just stop blogging about em period

alliance c. 2010/11 even with the boring posts about toys or whatever i didn't care about because man, there's not really that anymore is there?

also: bvs is ok, lookin forward to the 3 hour long version w/ Jena Malone tbh
yeah, I think what weve seen is a lot of good ones decide collectively that good writing on comics is mostly ignored, doesn't pay well if at all or

This omnibus is definitely rough to read in the beginning because of it's size, weight, and binding. Over 1400 pages. It should be a little easier about 250 pages in when I don't have to hold down the pages, but still, I pretty much have to confine it to my desk to read.

rszimag0068.jpg

Right now, like 50 pages in, it's pretty annoying.
I'm sooo tempted to buy this book

You guys and your Moebius. What was so great about his stuff?
Well, there is a lot of things to be said about him. He had a tremendously long career.

He was just so fucking versatile and imaginative. He was *the* western comics artist.

After defining westerns, he helped define what modern sci fi looks like. In part because of his work on movies, he created concept art for Alien,
Tron
The Abyss
Fifth Element.
I thought I remembered reading he also did some work on Star Wars IV, but I cant find anything right now. He apparently also helped on Space Jam, character design I believe. He also did a ton of work on the Jodorwosky's aborted adaptation of Dune. Those storyboards were then turned into Incal, which is most certainly one of the most influential comics of all time, *especially* among comics creators. Bendis's intro to the last edition is basically 'please don't steal from this, every one has already tried'

The Incal is a sci fi masterpiece. Theres a crazy new idea that Moebius pulls off like a boss every 3 - 5 pages. Its *the* sci fi comic.

He also helped establish Heavy Metal, the highly influential Euro comics magazine. His work on Airtight Garage and Arzach are just tremendous

He was a fountain of cool ass ideas and tremendous skill. The combination of his composition, use of color, design, philosophy, versatility is just unmatched.

You may have heard me say guys like Frank Cho make well drawn but boring art. I wouldn't think you'd like Angel Claws, but you would find out what interesting erotic art looks like

Well, there is a lot of things to be said about him. He had a tremendously long career.

He was just so fucking versatile and imaginative. He was *the* western comics artist.

I thought I remembered reading he also did some work on Star Wars IV, but I cant find anything right now. He apparently also helped on Space Jam, character design I believe. He also did a ton of work on the Jodorwosky's aborted adaptation of Dune. Those storyboards were then turned into Incal, which is most certainly one of the most influential comics of all time, *especially* among comics creators. Bendis's intro to the last edition is basically 'please don't steal from this, every one has already tried'

This just reiterates to me how disappointing Dark Horse's decision to print the Moebius library in standard trim size is.

yep library editions so expect it to be absolute quality
http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/2284/eccc-2016-moebius-library-debuts-fall

They doing library editions? I love those things. Big and sturdy, but they don't use cheap material like some other companies.

Not library edition sized. They solicited it as 8" x 10".

Same aspect ratio as the Blacksad volumes but smaller.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got to 4001 stuff in Valiant. Eternal Warrior was much more interesting than he was in the present, and Rai is a really cool concept but I don't like the art that much. A&A and Bloodshot get the better artists.

TheFlow

Banned
Pretty Deadly #6-7
images

damn great chapters and a good approach to WW1. I know not many people read this but this is one of the best Image titles when comes to grim reapers/afterlife. Also everytime I see Ginny and Alice I get excited. My only prob is that the next arc doesn't fill you in about what happened in the past 5 issues so you might have to go back.

5/5 and still one of my personal favorites. I just don't talk about it much because I have been waiting for it to be collected.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Pretty Deadly #6-7

damn great chapters and a good approach to WW1. I know not many people read this but this is one of the best Image titles when comes to grim reapers/afterlife. Also everytime I see Ginny and Alice I get excited. My only prob is that the next arc doesn't fill you in about what happened in the past 5 issues so you might have to go back.

5/5 and still one of my personal favorites. I just don't talk about it much because I have been waiting for it to be collected.

I could just stare at some of these recent issues for hours. Rios and Bellaire are killing it.

TheFlow

Banned
Goon books are bigger. Same size as the Fear Agent books.

I think TheFlow meant the Moebius books are same height as the Usagi books and same width as the Goon books.

This

I could just stare at some of these recent issues for hours. Rios and Bellaire are killing it.
yes :O. I was afraid this next arc wouldn't be so good because of the hiatus but it is delivering. Forgot how good the art is.

If I had to make a list of Image titles with my favorite art Pretty deadly would be on it

Top Bottom