• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Zombine

Banned
I think my favorite Alex Ross work is his art he did for the gatchman Blu release:

91R0zBn8SWL._SL1500_.jpg

I got this set for dirt cheap years ago.

https://www.inverse.com/article/159...ic-attacks-new-52-changes-regains-lost-heroes

Johns' interview about the Rebirth issue. That's a lot to process.

The very clear leak about one week before the release and these interviews makes me think this was a "controlled leak". At least, it got me intrigued. Will read the first issue.

But I do have to say, some of the things he seems to complain about in the interview have been his stock in trade to begin with...

" Their connections have begun feeling false, and their appeal has been decaying, but why? In the final panel of Rebirth, Batman discovers, as we mentioned, The Comedian’s pin. The epilogue suggests Dr. Manhattan has been emotionlessly screwing with DC’s heroes, experimenting with their stories but not understanding their humanity."

So essentially, Johns case Didio as Dr.Manhattan?

Vyer

https://www.inverse.com/article/159...ic-attacks-new-52-changes-regains-lost-heroes

The very clear leak about one week before the release and these interviews makes me think this was a "controlled leak". At least, it got me intrigued. Will read the first issue.

But I do have to say, some of the things he seems to complain about in the interview have been his stock in trade to begin with...

" Their connections have begun feeling false, and their appeal has been decaying, but why? In the final panel of Rebirth, Batman discovers, as we mentioned, The Comedian’s pin. The epilogue suggests Dr. Manhattan has been emotionlessly screwing with DC’s heroes, experimenting with their stories but not understanding their humanity."

it's been present in some of his N52 writing, but I don't think it's fair to say that a lot of the values the interview talks about aren't also very present in his work as a whole

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Honestly, I was never a huge fan of Ross for regular comics. His style worked well for Kingdom Come and Justice, but it's not a look I enjoy for everyday comics. It looks to realistic.
I have Earth X waiting in my backlog and I am super excited about the scenario and what could have done with the story but his art is super shit in that that I lose all excitement to read it once I open the book.

I have Earth X waiting in my backlog and I am super excited about the scenario and what could have done with the story but his art is super shit in that that I lose all excitement to read it once I open the book.

It's not bad art. I just don't like it for the purpose of comics.

I didn't want to say it, but
Manhattan is totally standing in for Didio.

VanWinkle

Honestly, I was never a huge fan of Ross for regular comics. His style worked well for Kingdom Come and Justice, but it's not a look I enjoy for everyday comics. It looks to realistic.

I can definitely understand why a person wouldn't be into it, but I adore it personally. For the stuff I've read, at least. I don't think his style would work well with EVERYTHING, though.

TheFlow

Banned
I know percy's green arrow run has been meh to average but I feel like he deserves a second chance. Plus Black Canary is playing a huge role in the first arc. So excited.
GAREB_1_hires-5.jpg

VanWinkle

I know percy's green arrow run has been meh to average but I feel like he deserves a second chance. Plus Black Canary is playing a huge role in the first arc. So excited.
GAREB_1_hires-5.jpg

I'm definitely giving it a chance. I really hope for the best. He has one crucial component on board so far (amazing artists working on it).

Just started CoIE and what the hell is it with all these Elseworld Luthors creating analogys to Kal-Els rescues from Krypton?
Hah CoIE is diving into the extreme deep end of DC history. It's pretty dense reading but as a fan of comic history I'm glad I did. Plus you got Perez splash pages for the ages

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Hah CoIE is diving into the extreme deep end of DC history. It's pretty dense reading but as a fan of comic history I'm glad I did. Plus you got Perez splash pages for the ages
I was a little bit afraid of Kingdom Come and now in the first issue the female friend of the Monitor has assembled a team of tons of people Ive never heard of :/

I was a little bit afraid of Kingdom Come and now in the first issue the female friend of the Monitor has assembled a team of tons of people Ive never heard of :/
Yea there's a lot of fringe DC characters. Just don't worry about it. Read the story and enjoy the ride. Don't get bogged down in pre Crisis DC stuff. And yea KC is nothing compared to COIE in regards to going to the lesser known characters.

tim1138

Oh man, did you actually start COIE? Honestly you might be better off just reading a wiki on it, it's super dense and not very new reader friendly.

Yea. For some reason they hadn't gotten the whole thing collected on CMX. There's been odd gaps in the CMX marvel library. Like until recently ASM 300s Spidey with the first arrival of Venom, etc thankfully they've been filling in the gaps pretty well. They've been working through older Thor so I imagine it'll get there this year.

Doom's supershotgun is the best shotgun i've used since, i dunno, bulletstorm. Walk right up to a hell nite and shoot it in the balls, why not.

New Avengers #18-#23: I had it all wrong. Namor wasn't the villain. He is the lead character in this greek tragedy.

Is what i keep telling people.

george_us

Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone is pretty awesome. I need more Master Mirror in my life. Really hoping he makes an appearance in Blood and Wine.

Also, The Autumnlands is rad.

Messi

Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone is pretty awesome. I need more Master Mirror in my life. Really hoping he makes an appearance in Blood and Wine.

Also, The Autumnlands is rad.

I hear there are boobs in that book and that they are furry. Confirm or deny.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Q7v9XGimCd5WE.gif

Never cared for mobas and spent months
and alot of money
on Heroes of the Storm.

Never cared for multiplayer FPSs (or MP games in general) and im frothing for Overwatch.

Does Blizzard sprinkle their games with cocaine or something?

Quick question: if I buy a digital comic on Amazon, it gets added to my library on the Comixology app? I dont have a Kindle, but I have the Comixology app on my iPad

george_us

I hear there are boobs in that book and that they are furry. Confirm or deny.
Can confirm.

[
and alot of money
on Heroes of the Storm.

Never cared for multiplayer FPSs (or MP games in general) and im frothing for Overwatch.

Not sure what the fuck they do. The only loot game that's ever hooked me is Diablo 3. Shit I bought it three fucking times while games like Torchlight do nothing for me. I know it was only the Beta but I've never looked for to playing a competitive shooter like I have Overwatch.

Q7v9XGimCd5WE.gif

and alot of money
on Heroes of the Storm.

lmao she's even throwing up gang signs at the end. hilarious gif.

Jetman

GAF, what's the consensus on the Before Watchmen stuff? All of it crap or are there some redeeming titles like The Comedian or Rohrscach series?

Quick question: if I buy a digital comic on Amazon, it gets added to my library on the Comixology app? I dont have a Kindle, but I have the Comixology app on my iPad

In theory, yes. You need to link your accounts first, but after that, it's supposed to work.

In practice, things are a little messy. I've had books fail to sync for a week, and I pretty consistently had to bug Comixology Support to get things resolved. That was a while ago, they could have smoothed it out since then.

that's the one post I'd never expected to read

holy fuck is DC actually doing something right for people other than me

is this happening

Johns nailed every problem I got not only with DC but 100% what's wrong with a lot of Marvel right now. How badly do we need an X-Men Rebirth?

Top Bottom