• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Owzers

i finally got around to reading ANAD New Avengers #1 on MU. People pay money for these, it's just not right. Squirrel Girl was the best part of course but for a first issue it's already boring and possibly the worst villain last page in recent memory.

Also, there is a Wrestling event sunday and i don't care, probably the least interested i've been in wrestling since starting to watch again one or two years ago.

Read the first book of 100 Bullets. It was good, but...man, Stray Bullets and Brubaker's stuff were so good that other crime comics kind of pale in comparison IMO. I really need to check out Gotham Central

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Read the first book of 100 Bullets. It was good, but...man, Stray Bullets and Brubaker's stuff were so good that other crime comics kind of pale in comparison IMO. I really need to check out Gotham Central

100 Bullets is one of the coolest comics I've read, I flew through all 13 volumes in about half a week or so.

This reminds me, I should read that one volume spin-off.

Are Omnibus worth buying? i started getting in the Marvel U, from the beginning. just realized there are ALOT of marvel Omnibus out there

They're usually good deals if you buy them online. While they can be kind of large and unwieldy, it's pretty great to have a big book containing an entire series.

No time for comics, only Overwatch list

Comics
Aliens Defiance #2
DC Comics Rebirth #1
Justice League #50
Omega Men #12
East of West #26
Monstress #6
Tokyo Ghost #7
Doctor Strange #8
Mockingbird #3
Ms. Marvel #7

Other stuff
Art of Broken Age HC
Yotsuba&! Vol.13
DC Bombshells Cheetah statue

Forgot to post mine earlier:
Rachel Rising #42
Lobster Johnson Metal Monsters Of Midtown #1
DC Universe Rebirth #1
Justice League #50
Tokyo Ghost #7
Mockingbird #3
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #8

Awesome week.

lol god damn, I'm home for the summer so I decided to try reading comics on my mom's tablet (10-inch) instead of my 7-inch tablet... wow the difference is crazy. I don't think I can ever read comics on that thing ever again.

Okay, done with the first arc of Gotham Central and I'm sold. Glimpses of Batman from the regular person's perspective feels really fresh after BvS and Court of Owls. It really captures that mysterious dark knight aura of the character that you can't really have when he's the protagonist

Okay, done with the first arc of Gotham Central and I'm sold. Glimpses of Batman from the regular person's perspective feels really fresh after BvS and Court of Owls

I haven't really read much of it, but Astro City does this a bit too. There's one issue, "Welcome to Astro City", that's about a family moving to the city and getting caught up with all of the mayhem between the superheroes and villains. It was really well done.

Okay, done with the first arc of Gotham Central and I'm sold. Glimpses of Batman from the regular person's perspective feels really fresh after BvS and Court of Owls. It really captures that mysterious dark knight aura of the character that you can't really have when he's the protagonist

The first arc does a great job of capturing that sense. The level of involvement Batman (and superheroes in general) varies from arc to arc, some having more, some less, but that one strikes what I'd call the median. Even when there's more of him, that sense of... alien-ness around him never goes away. It really sells you on this idea that he's more than a man.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
349090._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Bengal variant.

CRY HAVOC #5
EAST OF WEST #26
MONSTRESS #6
TOKYO GHOST #7

VanWinkle

I have a list. Well, I guess it's not a list. But I'm going to get DC Rebirth #1. Feels weird man.

Yup, it's fantastic.

Rainy

Banned
If I want to read Ultimates Comics Spider-Man (The Miles Morales one), is there anything else I need to read before hand?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
If I want to read Ultimates Comics Spider-Man (The Miles Morales one), is there anything else I need to read before hand?

If you're on MU, Miles first appearance is technically in Ultimate Fallout 4 but it's probably not worth buying. It's just a fight with a C-lister before the face reveal.

Finished Catwoman volume 1 by Brubaker and it's so good. Love the art style throughout and reminds me a lot of the Batman stuff I grew up with like Long Halloween. Of course, it's much better written than that, so it helps a lot! Brubaker writes Selina really well and it's hard not love her and the cast.

Only glanced through a list of the artists on the second volume but I see Cameron Stewart, Pulido, and Guy Davis so I know it's gonna look great. Plus you got Hollingsworth and Loughridge on colors! They are so good for these urban books. I love Hollingsworth's use of muted palettes.

Messi

Finished Catwoman volume 1 by Brubaker and it's so good. Love the art style throughout and reminds me a lot of the Batman stuff I grew up with like Long Halloween. Of course, it's much better written than that, so it helps a lot! Brubaker writes Selina really well and it's hard not love her and the cast.

Only glanced through a list of the artists on the second volume but I see Cameron Stewart, Pulido, and Guy Davis so I know it's gonna look great. Plus you got Hollingsworth and Loughridge on colors! They are so good for these urban books. I love Hollingsworth's use of muted palettes.

It's good but not Nocenti Catwoman good.

Misha

Banned
What is a good wonder woman comic? Preferably one available digitally and without a high cost of entry.

I already tried the first few chapters of the new 52 wonder woman comic but didn't care for it much.

(assuming this is the right place to ask)

What is a good wonder woman comic? Preferably one available digitally and without a high cost of entry.

I already tried the first few chapters of the new 52 wonder woman comic but didn't care for it much.

This is the right place to ask!

The book you're probably looking for is The Legend of Wonder Woman by Renae DeLiz, which is pretty much highly recommended by pretty much everyone.

Really great story, good art, digital and each issue is about a buck.

Just finished and moved onto the second volume of Locke & Key.

Haven't felt this enthralled in a comic since Sandman. The way Joe Hill weaves horror, thriller, mystery with a group of innocent kids into some dark shit is amazing.

Misha

Banned
This is the right place to ask! The book you're probably looking for is The Legend of Wonder Woman by Renae DeLiz. which is pretty much highly recommended by pretty much everyone.

Really great story, good art, digital and each issue is about a buck.

Actually I'm reading that at the moment. No idea why I didn't think to mention that in my last post. Its pretty good. Its an origin though and I was sorta hoping for something with her already established (or does every comic run start from the beginning again? I don't read enough to know)

Tizoc

A uestion regarding the hellboy comic; has mignola ever written what happened to hellboy after the events of the island and how he arrived in england?

Actually I'm reading that at the moment. No idea why I didn't think to mention that in my last post. Its pretty good. Its an origin though and I was sorta hoping for something with her already established (or does every comic run start from the beginning again? I don't read enough to know)

Lots of writers like to retell the origin in flashback or put their own spin on it, but generally new runs do not mean hard resets.

Try Wonder Woman 195 by Greg Rucka. If you like it, well good news he wrote the book for three years (his last issue was 226) and it's all great. And if you are still digging it, I have even more good news because Rucka's back on the book in a month or something like that, so you'll have that to look forward to, too.

And yes that whole run is available digitally. You'll find it under Wonder Woman (1987-2006).

I re-read Azzarello's run of Wonder Woman again and still don't like the portrayal of the Amazons (especially their relationship with Diana). I adore the supporting cast though.

Wonder Woman by Greg Rucka is IMO my favorite run ever. The only downside is the end of his run gets pulled into a number of events. But! Rucka is coming back to the character as part of Rebirth which is awesome news.

It's available digitally on comixology
https://www.comixology.com/Wonder-Woman-1987-2006-195/digital-comic/71196?ref=c2l0ZS9saXN0L2Rlc2t0b3AvZ3JpZExpc3QvSXNzdWVz

Another run that is older and highly regarded is Perez's run. I own it but haven't read it yet. Though I know some on the board have

https://www.comixology.com/Wonder-Woman-1987-2006-1/digital-comic/2692?ref=c2VyaWVzL3ZpZXcvZGVza3RvcC9ncmlkTGlzdC9Jc3N1ZXM

Zombine

Banned
Just finished and moved onto the second volume of Locke & Key.

Haven't felt this enthralled in a comic since Sandman. The way Joe Hill weaves horror, thriller, mystery with a group of innocent kids into some dark shit is amazing.

Yeah dude, Joe Hill is an amazing writer and he really reminds me of how his dad writes. I think it's cool that King and Hill are doing the same thing. If you like Locke & Key I would honestly check out N0S4A2. Stellar book.

Tizoc

Off the top pf my head
80s series by george perez
2000s series by greg rucka

My man.

I forgot about all the crossover ickiness, oh well. It's worth it.
Oh I agree. It's still the definitive run for me. And I don't really mind some of the later crossover tie ins.

I wish Comixology/DC would add Wonder Woman Hiketeia by Greg Rucka and JG Jones.

This is a standalone graphic novel starring Batman and Wonder Woman. It's actually the first main thing Rucka wrote of WW and then he went on to the main WW series. It's really great. Hope a reprint shows up so a CMX arrives.

Oh I agree. It's still the definitive run for me. And I don't really mind some of the later crossover tie ins.

I wish Comixology/DC would add Wonder Woman Hiketeia by Greg Rucka and JG Jones.

This is a standalone graphic novel starring Batman and Wonder Woman. It's actually the first main thing Rucka wrote of WW and then he went on to the main WW series. It's really great. Hope a reprint shows up so a CMX arrives.

I was just looking for that too! I can't believe they don't have it :(

DC what are you doing

tim1138

I was just looking for that too! I can't believe they don't have it :(

DC what are you doing

If I remember correctly from the solicits, Hiketeia is included in the first volume of the new Rucka collections that comes out in a month or so. Maybe they'll throw the original up on CMX when that comes out.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
If I remember correctly from the solicits, Hiketeia is included in the first volume of the new Rucka collections that comes out in a month or so. Maybe they'll throw the original up on CMX when that comes out.
Woha, can you check this out? Hunting Hiletwia for years but its so insane expensive

PsychBat!

Banned
I made $500 in one night! Time to blow it all on comics and steam games I will never read or play!

Somebody once told me the world is gonna roll me
I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed

She was looking kind of dumb with her finger and her thumb
in the shape of an L on her forehead

TheFlow

Banned
I made $500 in one night! Time to blow it all on comics and steam games I will never read or play!

Somebody once told me the world is gonna roll me
I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed

She was looking kind of dumb with her finger and her thumb
in the shape of an L on her forehead

shit son! enjoy the spurge. let ti take over you

tim1138

Woha, can you check this out? Hunting Hiletwia for years but its so insane expensive

Straight from DC's website:

Eisner Award-winning author Greg Rucka’s critically acclaimed run writing the Amazon Warrior is collected in its entirety, beginning in WONDER WOMAN BY GREG RUCKA VOL. 1!

When Diana writes a book that shares her beliefs, it ignites a firestorm of controversy—and even gets the attention of the Olympian gods! Now Wonder Woman faces her most personal battle yet as she confronts attacks on all levels, from Veronica Cale to Dr. Psycho to Silver Swan and even the War God Ares himself! Collects WONDER WOMAN #195-205 and the original graphic novel WONDER WOMAN: THE HIKETEIA.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Straight from DC's website:

Eisner Award-winning author Greg Rucka’s critically acclaimed run writing the Amazon Warrior is collected in its entirety, beginning in WONDER WOMAN BY GREG RUCKA VOL. 1!

When Diana writes a book that shares her beliefs, it ignites a firestorm of controversy—and even gets the attention of the Olympian gods! Now Wonder Woman faces her most personal battle yet as she confronts attacks on all levels, from Veronica Cale to Dr. Psycho to Silver Swan and even the War God Ares himself! Collects WONDER WOMAN #195-205 and the original graphic novel WONDER WOMAN: THE HIKETEIA.
Awesome!

Top Bottom