• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Marko and Alana by Kevin Wada

ChioX6sU4AAH3kX.jpg

JTripper

I hear so many people say Saga was great but overstayed its welcome yet I'm purposefully not reading the entirety of the Book One HC because I want Book Two to be announced.

Is it true or are people just crazy and Saga is still GOAT?

TheFlow

Banned
I hear so many people say Saga was great but overstayed its welcome yet I'm purposefully not reading the entirety of the Book One HC because I want Book Two to be announced.

Saga overstayed its welcome? Who dafuq said that.

Stray bullets is the goat but saga is giving it a run for its money

JTripper

Saga overstayed its welcome? Who dafuq said that.

Stray bullets is the goat but saga is giving it a run for its money

I just see scattered comments in passing sometimes on various social medias about it and I'm just like "I don't believe you"

Messi

These are crazy people. Saga is still top notch comics.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

'overstayed its welcome' is such a weird phrase to use, because plot-wise it feels like we're still in the first half, and yet quality-wise there hasn't been anything close to a dip. I don't think this series is at its halfway point yet, Vaughan has said he plans on something longer than any of his other series.

Boogiepop

Okay, so to confirm: the two TMNT volumes out today other than the latest ones are just reprints of old, already collected stuff, right?

Messi

'overstayed its welcome' is such a weird phrase to use, because plot-wise it feels like we're still in the first half, and yet quality-wise there hasn't been anything close to a dip. I don't think this series is at its halfway point yet, Vaughan has said he plans on something longer than any of his other series.

giphy.gif

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

This is what he said in a Reddit AMA:

I do indeed have an ending in mind for SAGA, but ideally, it won't be until the distant future. If there are enough of you out there to support our ongoing journey, I hope this be the most epic story I've ever written, longer than Y and Ex Machina combined.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

People be crazy! It's still an awesome book.

There are some huge fans of that book here. I'd wait for one of them to chime in.

Yeah, Scalped is a masterpiece. It is a white male's view of Native American experience, but there's a huge amount of authenticity there as well. Which is naturally grim. That's the reality in a lot of ways.

At its core though it is a ridiculously detailed character study, Guera does some of the best work in anyone's career. And the way it manages to stay in the same time space for the first like 25 issues before moving forward in the plot is a master class in story structure.

A lot of people complain (rightfully so) about how a lot of the female characters do not accurately represent the Native American female experience, but as a female character, Carol is given tremendously moving character moments about motherhood, dissolving relationships, and drug abuse.

TheFlow

Banned
Yeah, Scalped is a masterpiece. It is a white male's view of Native American experience, but there's a huge amount of authenticity there as well. Which is naturally grim. That's the reality in a lot of ways.

At its core though it is a ridiculously detailed character study, Guera does some of the best work in anyone's career. And the way it manages to stay in the same time space for the first like 25 issues before moving forward in the plot is a master class in story structure.

A lot of people complain (rightfully so) about how a lot of the female characters do not accurately represent the Native American female experience, but as a female character, Carol is given tremendously moving character moments about motherhood, dissolving relationships, and drug abuse.
I read some more reviews of it along with previews. Looks like the book over exaggerates the worst parts of living on a reservation based on the pics compared to real life but despite this exaggeration reviewers are saying it is worth a read. So I will check the series or down the road

Well anything as popular as Saga is going to have its share of detractors. I have nothing but love for that book. Always top of the stack when it comes out.

I read some more reviews of it along with previews. Looks like the book over exaggerates the worst parts of living on a reservation based on the pics compared to real life but despite this exaggeration reviewers are saying it is worth a read. So I will check the series or down the road

Guera's art certainly heightens the grimmest aspects of it, with all the detail and grime, as does the coloring. To be fair, I am a similarly white male, so I don't know shit about the realities.

Yup.

Consistently spectacular, and Vaughan is serialized comics' greatest advocate. Master of the last page jaw dropper.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Woo! Time to order Gotham Central!

Also, since Daredevil OHC Vol 5 is 50% off, I guess it's time that I order both that one and OHC Vol 4 (which I've been meaning to buy for a while).

Also, is Guardians of the Galaxy by DnA enjoyable as a standalone comic, or is it really only worth reading as part of the whole Cosmic Marvel thing?

Messi

To be fair, that AMA was a few years ago, so his plans could've changed, but with a title like 'Saga' I never expected it to end soon.

He was saying in that AMA that Saga sells more digitally than it does physically. Saga seems to sell like 50-60k physically. But is consistently top 3 in the Comixology charts.

VanWinkle

It's definitely an interesting read. Though if I have a complaint about it, it's that it's a very angry book and it feels sometimes like Kelly Sue is attacking me just for being a man.

Wait...What?

Yeah dude. You didn't get that feeling when reading some of the recent issues?

No, I mean I thought you were a girl. :(

I really enjoyed this exchange. Thanks guys.

Sweet Jesus. So at least 114 issues.
Lol vindicates my decision to stop buying saga. Most annoying thing about saga is bkvs inflexible storytelling. Dude has the most transperant scripting in comics. Ive read all of Y (loved), Runaways (really liked), most of Ex Machina (enjoyed a lot), and the first 4 vols of Saga (mostly liked). Same structures over and over.

Still, i hope it continues to be very successful. Its probably the most widely appealing comic there is

frye

I read Y in collection and there's maybe two issues in that that doesn't end in a cliffhanger. Part of the reason I hate that comic is because of its start and stop structure in twenty page increments

TheFlow

Banned
Lol vindicates my decision to stop buying saga. Most annoying thing about saga is bkvs inflexible storytelling. Dude has the most transperant scripting in comics. Ive read all of Y (loved), Runaways (really liked), most of Ex Machina (enjoyed a lot), and the first 4 vols of Saga (mostly liked). Same structures over and over.

Still, i hope it continues to be very successful. Its probably the most widely appealing comic there is
Boo you whore

arkon

Stray Bullets: Killers #4 - I was fearing for the worst when things started to go downhill in this issue, because, you know, it's Stray Bullets. Thankfully averted... for now.

Stray Bullets: Killers #5 - might just be the most ridiculous Amy Racecar story to date. In a good way... I think. I'm never quite sure what to make of these issues sometimes.

Been a long time since I ready any but it was good to get back to it. I'll probably keep dipping into it as and when because I'm almost caught up now. Try to savour what I've got left. If you can call it savouring it.

TheFlow

Banned
Stray Bullets: Killers #4 - I was fearing for the worst when things started to go downhill in this issue, because, you know, it's Stray Bullets. Thankfully averted... for now.

Stray Bullets: Killers #5 - might just be the most ridiculous Amy Racecar story to date. In a good way... I think. I'm never quite sure what to make of these issues sometimes.

Been a long time since I ready any but it was good to get back to it. I'll probably keep dipping into it as and when because I'm almost caught up now. Try to savour what I've got left. If you can call it savouring it.

Killers has the biggest cliffhanger known to comics. Continue at your own risk

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Just read Birthright 9-11. This book just keeps getting better. It's got one of the more interesting protagonists in a book I've read. It does great job of balancing family drama with fantasy craziness. The art is also excellent. You guys should really pick it up while it's still on sale at CMX.

Just read Birthright 9-11. This book just keeps getting better. It's got one of the more interesting protagonists in a book I've read. It does great job of balancing family drama with fantasy craziness. The art is also excellent. You guys should really pick it up while it's still on sale at CMX.

Glad you checked it out and are enjoying it! Definitely deserves more eyes on it. It's fantastic for all the reasons you stated.

Top Bottom