• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

I learned all about ComicGAF for years before I joined. Notice how we lost some old people years ago? That's because I took them.

18s4js5fq2s1ljpg.jpg

Zombine's Irish heritage is so strong he's turned green. And also possibly a lizard person. I believe it.

How good is Scalped? I've never read it.

ViewtifulJC's top 10 comic runs

1. Morrison/Case Doom Patrol
2. Ennis/McCrea Hitman
3. Claremont's 80s Uncanny X-Men
4. Morrison Batman
5. Frank Miller/Jenson/BILL SIENKIEWICZ/Mazzuchelli/Varley Daredevil
6. David Lapham Stray Bullets
7. Aaron/Guera Scalped
8. Morrison/Porter/Quitely/McGuinness JLA
9. Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim
10. Fraction/Aja/Wu/Pulidio/etc Hawkeye

tim1138

2. Ennis/McCrea Hitman
4. Morrison Batman
7. Aaron/Guera Scalped

Surprised Stray Bullets is only number six

TheFlow

Banned

2. Ennis/McCrea Hitman
4. Morrison Batman
7. Aaron/Guera Scalped
Welp I guess I gotta read this filthy scalp then. And why stray bullets so low son

I still have trouble accepting that the same lapham that always was one of the worst avatar writers, constantly releasing drek, does stray bullets.

When your company employs so many great artists, how does this happen?

same way it employs so many great writers and secret invasion still happened?

TheFlow

Banned
Wait wait wait didn't some people here tell me that the uncanny x men was shitty. I am talking about the 3 omnibus released. Any good stories from it? Lord knows I love good x men action panels

vc I like to think of the new stray bullets series as sequels and prequels to the main story.

Everyone talks about the bad stuff David had written makes me glad I only know of his stray bullet work

tim1138

Wait wait wait didn't some people here tell me that the uncanny x men was shitty. I am talking about the 3 omnibus released. Any good stories from it? Lord knows I love good x men action panels

vc I like to think of the new stray bullets series as sequels and prequels to the main story.

Whoever told you that was wrong. Claremont X-Men is one of the all time best runs

Boogiepop

At least for me, when I read Claremont X-men it was firmly in the "this is interesting thanks to the historical context, but it's not a very good read if I'm being honest" category, versus stuff like some of the better Carl Barks stuff that makes me go "holy crap, this may be super old but it holds up amazingly!"

Also, any way I can tell if the Dark Victory Absolute edition is definitely going out of print or not? I'm ready to place my darn IST order for Gotham Central so I can then write off buying print comics for at least 2 or so months, and it would make me feel way better if I could not have to pick that up now and could trust that it'll likely still be around later in the year...

Edit: Also, what's the "must buy" stuff from that Plastic Man comixology sale?

Also, any way I can tell if the Dark Victory Absolute edition is definitely going out of print or not? I'm ready to place my darn IST order for Gotham Central so I can then write off buying print comics for at least 2 or so months, and it would make me feel way better if I could not have to pick that up now and could trust that it'll likely still be around later in the year...

Not sure about Absolute Dark Victory. I don't see any signs of it going OOP. (One sign is usually the price increases on cheapgraphicnovels.com).

As for Plastic Man, the Baker run definitely gets my vote.

https://www.comixology.com/Plastic-Man-2003-2006/comics-series/46366

I am also really enjoying the original run but I would suggest picking up a couple of issues first before getting more. But considering you are enjoying the older Carl Barks stuff, I have a feeling you might like this too.

Anything by Jack Cole, basically.

https://www.comixology.com/Plastic-Man-1943-1956/comics-series/72304

I'm just trying to imagine how Adam Hughes will do interiors, found these two examples,

God damn, I remember those. That was from a book of various origin stories. I think DC actually had them posted on their old site before they decided to bind them and sell it as a trade.

I'll be starting my The Invisibles reading tonight. Wish me luck, ComicGAF.

The omnibus? Don't pull anything.

At least for me, when I read Claremont X-men it was firmly in the "this is interesting thanks to the historical context, but it's not a very good read if I'm being honest" category, versus stuff like some of the better Carl Barks stuff that makes me go "holy crap, this may be super old but it holds up amazingly!"

Kyle Baker's run is great. Highly recommended.

JEKKI

I have a Batman question... spoilers on the current run btw...

I read issue #51 and it was cool I guess...

but #50 made no sense at all!!

did anybody talk about this issue?? what I want to know is

wtheck is up with that random ass Gundam that comes out of nowhere that's colored as the Joker?!?! then a few pages later, apparently Batman is driving the Gundam now, except it's no longer colored as the Joker

seriously... what's up with that?!?!
aw man...

nobody knows the answer to this lol.

I guess Batman #50 really was that stupid

Savitar

Frank Cho and his plans now that his Marvel deal is up.

But to get to the fat of what might interest some:

BC: Anything for DC Comics?

CHO: Yup. You noticed the Diamond solicitations, I’m the new Wonder Woman cover artist for them. I’ll be doing the next 24 Wonder Woman variant covers. Nei Ruffino, the colorist on my covers, is simply knocking it out of the park with her fabulous color work.

BC: Wonder Woman sounds like your perfect choice.

CHO: Wonder Woman is definitely a perfect match for my artistic sensibilities.

BC: There has been plenty of social media criticism of this. You’re painted as the worst choice for the series – embodying all that is sexist and skeevy about comic books. Is it possible your covers will put women off the comic, or simply send a wrong message about the book?

As a life-long liberal Democrat and advocate for free speech and equal rights, it fascinates me to see when ultra-liberals become ultra-conservatives where they see injustices everywhere and cease to see reason, and start oppressing people who they disagree with. Thanks to the social media, we have entered into a dangerous era of Salem witch trials where no one is safe. Everything is being attacked everywhere in this hypersensitive atmosphere: The movie Grease (Sexualizes teenagers), Road Runner cartoons (Violence against animals), Game of Thrones. (Promotes rape and injustices against women.) The list goes on.

I have a huge female fan base. They are absolutely wonderful and they don’t share the hateful political views of Mary Sue and Comic Alliance sites. If you look at the various message board postings, you’ll see multitudes of positive notes of support for me and my art, especially for my Wonder Woman cover project. Let’s face it, I was built to draw Wonder Woman. I’m a huge Lynda Carter fan. I fell in love with her when I first saw her Wonder Woman TV show as a kid. In many ways, Lynda Carter is still the main source of inspiration when I draw women.

It’s very intimidating following Adam Hughes, Brian Bolland, Dave Finch and other great Wonder Woman artists before me. I’m just super excited right now that I’m drawing her. I have so much love and respect for this character and her potential. My aim is to make Wonder Woman look powerful and beautiful, let everyone see why she’s a true superhero icon. And I hope I don’t let my fans and Wonder Woman fans down.

aw man...

nobody knows the answer to this lol.

I guess Batman #50 really was that stupid

Bloom stole the giant RoBat suit (you actually see it when they show Gordon the Garage, iirc) off panel and had it painted up. Batman then hijacked it. The color scheme change is probably just symbolic.

diaspora

I'm going to ask a silly question, then we can all laugh about it and move on.

Is that series Hacktivist any good?

I thought it was meh.

edit: The thing with Cho's art is that I don't think he really pretends that it's not outright sexual. The Harley Quinn one showed her obvious discomfort in the asinine pose, the Wonder Woman/ Batman one showed Batman questioning what the fuck she was doing in that pose, and the Spider-Women ones showed a guy- Spider-Man showing interest in the obviously sexual pose.

Boogiepop

Not sure about Absolute Dark Victory. I don't see any signs of it going OOP. (One sign is usually the price increases on cheapgraphicnovels.com).

As for Plastic Man, the Baker run definitely gets my vote.

https://www.comixology.com/Plastic-Man-2003-2006/comics-series/46366

I am also really enjoying the original run but I would suggest picking up a couple of issues first before getting more. But considering you are enjoying the older Carl Barks stuff, I have a feeling you might like this too.

Anything by Jack Cole, basically.

https://www.comixology.com/Plastic-Man-1943-1956/comics-series/72304

Kyle Baker's run is great. Highly recommended.
Thanks a ton guys! (Also, the main reason I was spooked on Absolute Dark Victory is because it seems to no longer be available directly from Amazon. But yeah, if both IST and cheapgraphicnovels still have it I suppose I'll take the "risk" and not jam an extra $50 item that I don't really want to purchase at the moment onto my order.)

Top Bottom