• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Messi

What if Marvel made a comic about D.Va and Mei and then sometimes they kiss. Marguerite Bennett could write it with Jen Bartell on art.

I mean, I just read a comic about Hellcat and She-Hulk going to Coney Island and eating ice cream, so I don't think the grim and gritty is all that pervasive.

It's not. Of the 40 or so Marvel books I pull right now, I'd say about 25% are "grim and gritty," and that's with an extremely generous interpretation of the phrase. There is a ton of variety in Marvel's current line.

40 or so? You read that many marvel books o_O

I'm not even counting Civil War II, Nighthawk, or Steve Rogers because I haven't read them yet, or Uncanny Avengers which I just started pulling again but haven't read, or Silk or Spider-Girl which I have been reading for a crossover, but am dropping when it's over.

Sooooo yeah. I read a lot of Marvel books. ;p

mreddie

DC Rebirth is basically Geoff Johns saying I'M COMING TO SAVE YALL...MOVIE WISE.

Cool shit though but I think some books are still eh to me.

Owzers

I'm 30 pages into DC Universe Rebirth and i don't care about any of this because i have no affection for their characters or continuity, and without that the story is just a rundown of random people. The quality isn't in the story but based on your appreciation of the people so far or the
Ray Palmer segment that reminds me of a Marvel Point One issue

TheFlow

Banned
I'm not even counting Civil War II, Nighthawk, or Steve Rogers because I haven't read them yet, or Uncanny Avengers which I just started pulling again but haven't read, or Silk or Spider-Girl which I have been reading for a crossover, but am dropping when it's over.

Sooooo yeah. I read a lot of Marvel books. ;p
That is so many. More than half of what I read in a month

That is so many. More than half of what I read in a month

Just for fun:
A-Force
All-New Wolverine
All-New X-Men
All-New All-Different Avengers
Amazing Spider-Man
Astonishing Ant-Man
Black Panther
Black Widow
Captain America: Sam Wilson
Captain America: Steve Rogers
Captain Marvel
Civil War II
Daredevil
Darth Vader
Doctor Strange
Extraordinary X-Men
Guardians of Infinity
Guardians of the Galaxy
Gwenpool
International Iron Man
Invincible Iron Man
The Mighty Thor
Mockingbird
Moon Knight
Ms. Marvel
New Avengers
Nighthawk
Nova
Old Man Logan
Power Man and Iron Fist
Silver Surfer
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2099
Spider-Man & Deadpool
Spider-Woman
Squadron Supreme
Star Wars
Starbrand and Nightmask
The Ultimates
The Unbelievable Squirrel Girl
Uncanny Avengers
Uncanny Inhumans
Uncanny X-Men
Venom: Space Knight
The Vision
Weirdworld

So, 46. I forgot to count Star Wars. A few of these books are on their last issues or ending soon, though, so it'll probably be down to 42-43 soon.

I pull a lot of Image too. 20 books. Nothing close to my Marvel addiction obviously ;p

Sadist

People asking Rogers to be changed to be bi is a bit gross. I feel like we can do better than modifying an existing character's sexuality.

Incidentally, this was hilarious:

CxAbVfR.jpg
Best Miles-Man

Cap Steve Rogers is really obvious. Going to read more ofcourse.

I also read Afterlife with Archie. Lol.
Scumbag Reggie lol

TheFlow

Banned
Just for fun:
A-Force
All-New Wolverine
All-New X-Men
Amazing Spider-Man
Astonishing Ant-Man
Black Panther
Black Widow
Captain Marvel
Civil War II
Daredevil
Darth Vader
Doctor Strange
Extraordinary X-Men
Guardians of Infinity
Guardians of the Galaxy
Gwenpool
International Iron Man
Invincible Iron Man
The Mighty Thor
Mockingbird
Moon Knight
Ms. Marvel
New Avengers
Nighthawk
Nova
Old Man Logan
Power Man and Iron Fist
Silver Surfer
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2099
Spider-Man & Deadpool
Spider-Woman
Squadron Supreme
Star Wars
Starbrand and Nightmask
The Ultimates
Uncanny Avengers
Uncanny Inhumans
Uncanny X-Men
The Vision
Weirdworld

So, 46. I forgot to count Star Wars. A few of these books are on their last issues or ending soon, though, so it'll probably be down to 42-43 soon.

I pull a lot of Image too. 20 books. Nothing close to my Marvel addition obviously ;p
Welp as long as you are happy man do you.

mreddie

Just for fun:
A-Force
All-New Wolverine
All-New X-Men
Amazing Spider-Man
Astonishing Ant-Man
Black Panther
Black Widow
Captain Marvel
Civil War II
Daredevil
Darth Vader
Doctor Strange
Extraordinary X-Men
Guardians of Infinity
Guardians of the Galaxy
Gwenpool
International Iron Man
Invincible Iron Man
The Mighty Thor
Mockingbird
Moon Knight
Ms. Marvel
New Avengers
Nighthawk
Nova
Old Man Logan
Power Man and Iron Fist
Silver Surfer
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2099
Spider-Man & Deadpool
Spider-Woman
Squadron Supreme
Star Wars
Starbrand and Nightmask
The Ultimates
Uncanny Avengers
Uncanny Inhumans
Uncanny X-Men
The Vision
Weirdworld

I pull a lot of Image too. 20 books. Nothing close to my Marvel addition obviously ;p

Holy shit, that pull is insane. And half of books are meh anyways.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just for fun:
A-Force
All-New Wolverine
All-New X-Men
Amazing Spider-Man
Astonishing Ant-Man
Black Panther

Black Widow

Captain Marvel
Civil War II
Daredevil
Darth Vader
Doctor Strange
Extraordinary X-Men

Guardians of Infinity
Guardians of the Galaxy
Gwenpool
International Iron Man
Invincible Iron Man
The Mighty Thor

Mockingbird
Moon Knight
Ms. Marvel
New Avengers
Nighthawk

Nova
Old Man Logan
Power Man and Iron Fist
Silver Surfer
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2099

Spider-Man & Deadpool
Spider-Woman
Squadron Supreme
Star Wars

Starbrand and Nightmask
The Ultimates
Uncanny Avengers
Uncanny Inhumans
Uncanny X-Men

The Vision
Weirdworld

I pull a lot of Image too. 20 books. Nothing close to my Marvel addiction obviously ;p

Bolded what I pull.

Your list is insane

TheFlow

Banned
I'm 30 pages into DC Universe Rebirth and i don't care about any of this because i have no affection for their characters or continuity, and without that the story is just a rundown of random people. The quality isn't in the story but based on your appreciation of the people so far or the
Ray Palmer segment that reminds me of a Marvel Point One issue
I also didn't care the DC universe and characters book wise but even I couldn't deny that rebirth was a good issue. I only know the Wally west from young justice and teen titans but he delivered the feels.

It's a book about what the new 52 was lacking

Vic_Viper

Not sure if this is known already or not but apparently Walmart now has a handful of hardcover Graphic Novels with their animated movie counterparts for 20$ each. Not a bad price considering they come with the full fledged bluray with bonus features and all.

My local Walmart has:

Batman Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, justice League War, Justice League Throne of Atlantis, and Superman/Batman Public Enimies. All include their movies inside the book.

Kinda tempted to pick up a few. Only downside I see so far is TDKR only comes with part 1 that I can tell.

TheFlow

Banned
Not sure if this is known already or not but apparently Walmart now has a handful of hardcover Graphic Novels with their animated movie counterparts for 20$ each. Not a bad price considering they come with the full fledged bluray with bonus features and all.

My local Walmart has:

Batman Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, justice League War, Justice League Throne of Atlantis, and Superman/Batman Public Enimies. All include their movies inside the book.

Kinda tempted to pick up a few. Only downside I see so far is TDKR only comes with part 1 that I can tell.
This has been known for a while but I didn't know walmart offered them as well.

I actually mention the batman year one bundle a while back

The only Marvel books I keep up with are Squirrel Girl, Vision, Power Man and Iron Fist, Black Widow, and Mockingbird. That's plenty for me lol

mreddie

If I had to it would be easy to cut several books, yeah, but I wouldn't say half. I really enjoy most of them.

I think Messi still pulls more Marvel books than I do.

Think mine is similar. Added a few of my own picks from your list.
A-Force
All-New Wolverine
Astonishing Ant-Man
Black Panther
Black Widow
Captain Marvel
Darth Vader
Doctor Strange
Gwenpool
Invincible Iron Man (Trash tier arc setting up CW2)
Mockingbird
Moon Knight
Ms. Marvel
New Avengers (Only for my bae Songbird)
Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat
Poe Dameron
Power Man and Iron Fist
Silk (FFS I'm ditching this unless Tana Ford can draw a actual human being)
Spider-Man 2099
Spider-Woman
Squadron Supreme
The Ultimates
Uncanny Avengers (For Pymtron)
Uncanny Inhumans
The Vision
Weirdworld (So long Book, sorry Hump had to leave)

Think mine is similar. Added a few of my own picks from your list.

Yeah the latest arc of Invincible Iron Man has been a huge downgrade from the early issues, very disappointing.

And yeah I just dropped Silk, shit book.

Also added Uncanny Avengers pretty much for Pymtron. I hope it's good and easy to jump into.

mreddie

Yeah the latest arc of Invincible Iron Man has been a huge downgrade from the early issues, very disappointing.

And yeah I just dropped Silk, shit book.

Also added Uncanny Avengers pretty much for Pymtron. I hope it's good and easy to jump into.

Spidey 2099 is the best Spidey book, picked Spider Woman back after the pregnancy angle, Patsy and Squirrel Girl are the candy and I just picked up Ultimates cause GAF praises it too much

Spidey 2099 is the best Spidey book, picked Spider Woman back after the pregnancy angle, Patsy and Squirrel Girl are the candy and I just picked up Ultimates cause GAF praises it too much

I love 2099. Definitely the best Spidey book. I included it in my "grim and gritty" count because Miguel is a grouch lol

Owzers

I also didn't care the DC universe and characters book wise but even I couldn't deny that rebirth was a good issue. I only know the Wally west from young justice and teen titans but he delivered the feels.

It's a book about what the new 52 was lacking

I finished the issue, i also had lots of feelings towards the end but I still think what the new 52 was lacking was quality storytelling and this issue didn't make me feel good about DC's future roll-out.

I need to get through Darkseid War (I had NO idea how long this story was, wow, but it's been really fun to read so far) so I can read Rebirth. Interesting to see the impressions mixing a little in here, but not surprising.

I'm glad I decided to pick up DW, even if it means I'm lagging behind everyone a little. The connections to Rebirth seem pretty explicit. This is the first page:

The word "rebirth" comes up a lot in various contexts throughout the issue.

TheFlow

Banned
I finished the issue, i also had lots of feelings towards the end but I still think what the new 52 was lacking was quality storytelling and this issue didn't make me feel good about DC's future roll-out.
Agreed on the storytelling part

But how could you not feel good about DC"s future roll out!? They brought together some good creative teams, made everything cheaper with less of a wait per issue. There is a title for everyone in this Bach.

Even salty DC fans are picking up what johns is putting down.

Owzers

Agreed on the storytelling part

But how could you not feel good about DC"s future roll out!? They brought together some good creative teams, made everything cheaper with less of a wait per issue. There is a title for everyone in this Bach.

Even salty DC fans are picking up what johns is putting down.

Zatanna and Black Canary ongoing or we riot. I'm pre-ordering Wonder Woman, Batman, and maybe Suicide Squad. I presume Wonder Woman is the only book i will continue with. I was considering Superman but i think it will just end with it getting involved in a line-wide superman crossover that i drop so I'm not excited enough to bother.

TheFlow

Banned
Zatanna and Black Canary ongoing or we riot. I'm pre-ordering Wonder Woman, Batman, and maybe Suicide Squad. I presume Wonder Woman is the only book i will continue with.
Zatanna? Lol that is more niche than a devil dinosaur ongoing.

Black canary is in green arrow/birds of prey.

But that is such a small pull for 3 dollar issues. This isn't marvel lol

I was considering Superman but i think it will just end with it getting involved in a line-wide superman crossover that i drop so I'm not excited enough to bother.

This is my concern too, though I am gonna give it a shot. DC needs an accessible Superman book that doesn't require dedication to the entire line, especially now that several of those books are going to be out twice a month. I think they'd be crazy not to provide one but, well, it wouldn't be surprising if they didn't.

I'm hoping at least one of the books on the periphery, like Superwoman or Super-Man, will kinda provide this. N52 Supergirl was good for this for the first couple years, and it was a quality book too.

It's crazy and ridiculous that they do this with Batman but not with Superman.

tim1138

I need to get through Darkseid War (I had NO idea how long this story was, wow, but it's been really fun to read so far) so I can read Rebirth. Interesting to see the impressions mixing a little in here, but not surprising.

I'm glad I decided to pick up DW, even if it means I'm lagging behind everyone a little. The connections to Rebirth seem pretty explicit. This is the first page:

The word "rebirth" comes up a lot in various contexts throughout the issue.

Darkseid War was so great, I reread it all over the weekend in anticipation of theart issue and Rebirth. Be sure to pick up the one shots as well, they do a nice job of fleshing some stuff out.

frye

the new Justice League is Johns where I like him best these days, which is when he's in full-on gonzo exploitation superhero comics mode doing shit like
weaponized darkseid babies
. I've said it before but Fabok is basically a good version of David Finch, and he's become probably my favourite DC guy in a while. Justice League's been a shit comic for like 4 and a half years but Darkseid War was pretty fun yo

Rebirth is whatever, Johns trying to be sentimental/inspirational/whatever always makes me think he's doing a Morrison impression and I never believe it (I did like that Captain Marvel comic he and Frank did though). Jimenez was pretty good, EVS was EVS, and Gary Frank's
Ryan Choi
is like 2 degrees removed from being a racial caricature though I guess that's just how he draws people??

e: oh yeah, the explanation for
the two Wallys
owned

Darkseid War was so great, I reread it all over the weekend in anticipation of theart issue and Rebirth. Be sure to pick up the one shots as well, they do a nice job of fleshing some stuff out.

I wish I could, I heard the Green Lantern stuff in particular is great, but I spent way too much money already on the main story, all my books today (21!) and Overwatch. I'm on a spending freeze for a week.

ElNarez

Banned
This is my concern too, though I am gonna give it a shot. DC needs an accessible Superman book that doesn't require dedication to the entire line, especially now that several of those books are going to be out twice a month. I think they'd be crazy not to provide one but, well, it wouldn't be surprising if they didn't.

The explanation for the new Superman situation fits in a single sentence. "This world's Superman is dead, here's a Superman from another universe, who has a wife and kids". You don't really need to know more, even if there is.

Ephemeris

What an awesome week.

Even with Rebirth, Supes, JLA, Steve Rogers.. nope My highlight is the return of
DICKBATS
in Grayson. Albeit short-lived.

The explanation for the new Superman situation fits in a single sentence. "This world's Superman is dead, here's a Superman from another universe, who has a wife and kids". You don't really need to know more, even if there is.

I understand that's our starting point. My concern is all the Superman books are going to get wrapped up in each others' plotlines so if you're not reading Action Comics, Superman is going to be confusing at times, for instance.

Top Bottom