• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Hagi

Is there a recommended list for DC titles you should read at some point? I feel I'm seriously lacking when it comes to DC. Just going to start JSA with Morrison's run so there's something.

Messi

all those mad Cap fans going to hop on Comicsoxlogy and buy the story?

giphy.gif

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just read Cap.

Really liked the issue, obvious that the twist will involve Sinclair from the past, perhaps time travel shenanigans.

I expect Red Skull to be involved.

Ah sorry I meant to say pre New 52. I've read Morrison's Batman run and Final Crisis, Johns Green Lantern run, bits and pieces of other stuff like Waids run on Flash and that's about it.

You mean DC or DC/Vertigo?

Kirby's New Gods!
Robinson's Starman
Brubaker/Rucka Gotham Central
Rucka's Wonder Woman
Baker's Plastic Man
Cole's Plastic Man
Moore's Swamp Thing (Though I don't remember if this was DC or Vertigo)
Ennis' Hitman

These I've heard good things about but haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

Simonson's Orion
Perez's Wonder Woman
Ostrander's Suicide Squad

So. I've been waiting for DC to do a sale on JL to catch up but they haven't. And now I have Rebirth for free. Should I catch up on JL before I read Rebirth? Or does it not matter?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So is young cap still on the uncanny avengers? Wasnt that "his" thing when he was old man Rogers?

tim1138

So. I've been waiting for DC to do a sale on JL to catch up but they haven't. And now I have Rebirth for free. Should I catch up on JL before I read Rebirth? Or does it not matter?

You don't necessarily need to catch up on JL, but Darkseid War has been awesome and you totally should catch up.

Is there a recommended list for DC titles you should read at some point? I feel I'm seriously lacking when it comes to DC. Just going to start JSA with Morrison's run so there's something.

Some titles I'd recommend to everyone:
Seven Soldiers of Victory
Flash by Johns
Flash by Morrison and Millar
Plastic Man by Baker
Catwoman by Brubaker
Wonder Woman by Perez (Rucka and Simone's stuff are supposed to be good too, haven't read them myself)
Batgirl by Bryan Q. Miller
Power Girl: Power Trip
Starman by Robinson (only read a bit myself, but it's very good)
All Star Superman (I have a feeling you've read this)

If you want to count Vertigo stuff then Animal Man, Doom Patrol, and Kill Your Boyfriend by Morrison are great. You Are Here and Why I Hate Saturn are also great. Then there's obvious stuff like Sandman, Y: The Last Man, etc.

mreddie

Okay, Cap-sanity aside, I tore myself away from Overwatch to get the pull

Nighthawk already better than Hyperion by miles, digging what Walker is selling

Squirrel Girl, I can't hate on a book that hooks up Squirrel Girl with a Sentinel

Hellcat, the art was interesting and fit the book but I prefer Williams art. Cool to see
Arcade
again.

Ms. Marvel, I love this book and
Bruno gonna turn heel?

Mockingbird is great but I was a bit confused with the angle they played but it feels like a sitcom spy story but in a good way.

Skipping Hulk and Weirdworld because I skipped out on the previous issues. I know Hulk is gonna bring back Bruce with the Civil War stuff so we'll see on how they handle Bruce.

tim1138

Morrison Batman, JLA, Animal Man, All Star Superman
Johns JSA, Green Lantern, and Wally Flash
Waid Flash
Grell Green Arrow
O'Neil/Adams Green Lantern/Green Arrow
Perez Wonder Woman
Rucka Wonder Woman, Checkpoint, Batwoman Elegy, Gotham Central
Simone Wonder Woman, Birds of Prey, and preN52 Secret Six
Baker Plastic Man
Silver Age and Morrison Doom Patrol
Kirby Fourth World Saga, OMAC, The Demon
Cooke New Frontier
Any Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle Batman

That's all off the top of my head, if you want more I'm sure I can together a longer list.

Adnor

Banned
It's more "if you're reading these books and Rebirth, start with the books then come back". They don't add much, but you do get the origin of
BABY DARKSEID
OH MY GOD I WILL NEVER BE OVER IT

Using Baby Darkseid as a shotgun was the best

International Iron Man #3
And finally we learn why Tony is doing what he's doing, how he came to interact with his long lost lover. Also Maleev da gawd.

Civil War II #0
Good set-up. I like the art a lot. Really making me feel for Carol. I'm becoming more optimistic. Though as many have stated, Marvel events always start well.

Afrodium

Banned
So that Joker reveal today -
so the first time The Joker has ever committed a crime just after being arrested somewhere else/while locked in Arkham is just after Batman learns there's three of them?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I should be reading comics. But im watching Overwatch videos. Im sorry :/

Shit has its hooks on me bad fam

Edit: the true bae

tumblr_nksvjqZZ7C1r61mabo2_500.gif

Pabzz

Neo Member
Hi ComicGAF, longtime lurker first time poster!

I only recently got into comics a couple of years ago and I primarily pull Image and Black Mask stuff. And some marvel titles (Doctor Strange, Uncanny Inhumans, All New Inhumans, and Black Panther). I have tried several times to get into dc comics but, I find the majority of their heroes to be lifeless and stale. It also does not help that I find most of the art in the big dc books to be very generic. I have read the first couple of volumes for Geoff Johns' Green Lantern, Snyder's Batman, Waid's Flash, Brubaker's Gotham Central, and Johns' Aquaman and I dropped all of them because they didn't grab me in any way. What other dc titles would you recommend I take a look at before trying out some of the Rebirth books?

I only recently got into comics a couple of years ago and I primarily pull Image and Black Mask stuff. And some marvel titles (Doctor Strange, Uncanny Inhumans, All New Inhumans, and Black Panther). I have tried several times to get into dc comics but, I find the majority of their heroes to be lifeless and stale. It also does not help that I find most of the art in the big dc books to be very generic. I have read the first couple of volumes for Geoff Johns' Green Lantern, Snyder's Batman, Waid's Flash, Brubaker's Gotham Central, and Johns' Aquaman and I dropped all of them because they didn't grab me in any way. What other dc titles would you recommend I take a look at before trying out some of the Rebirth books?
Don't pass up on Rucka's Wonder Woman . Also John's JSA and Flash runs.

tim1138

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=204676258

Owzers

Maybe try Morrison's Batman or look to some Vertigo work like I Zombie.

Boogiepop

Welp, just sat down and plowed through the entirety of Darkseid War and Rebirth. That was a thing. Glad to see people of course already mentioning the pure ridiculousness that is
a weaponized baby being wielded, of all things
. But yeah, that was fun, and especially crazy since I did indeed manage to avoid the spoilers. Also really, really glad that I read Morrison/Millar Flash shortly before this, as I probably wouldn't have appreciated Rebirth quite as much if I hadn't, to be honest. Gave me a really nice connection to the character I wouldn't have otherwise had, which really helped the book work for me.

Mifune

Mehmber
Last night I read issue 50 of Brubaker's Cap run. What a great, great comic book series. Amazingly consistent and a sheer pleasure to read. And I'm not even done yet.

JTripper

Grayson #20 was predictably dumb. The series lost me a few issues ago so I just wanted to see how it ended.
Nightwing is back
, thank god.

Rhaknar

Stupid America :(

Where my Europeans at?

Well, besides sleeping

Last night I read issue 50 of Brubaker's Cap run. What a great, great comic book series. Amazingly consistent and a sheer pleasure to read. And I'm not even done yet.
Is that the one that has a story without any dialogue? Because I actually own that issue. Not in the best condition though. I got it when I was a kid and I read it a lot.

Top Bottom