• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Man, I know a couple of people have been singing the praises of IDW's Transformers for a while now, but holy shit this is an extremely good political thriller, with giant transforming robots. This is one of the reasons I love comics. Transformers is an inherently silly premise, right? giant, block robots that turn into cars and planes and dinosaurs and so on. But to the minds behind this series, that doesn't matter. They don't care about how ridiculous the premise seems. They just USE it, and they do an astonishing job of it. I've read significantly less human characters in Slice of Life series than I'm reading here, and the intrigue, lawdy. There is some good ass plotting here. GRRM could learn a thing or two about how character motives play into political maneuvers.

So goooood.

Man, I know a couple of people have been singing the praises of IDW's Transformers for a while now, but holy shit this is an extremely good political thriller, with giant transforming robots. This is one of the reasons I love comics. Transformers is an inherently silly premise, right? giant, block robots that turn into cars and planes and dinosaurs and so on. But to the minds behind this series, that doesn't matter. They don't care about how ridiculous the premise seems. They just USE it, and they do an astonishing job of it. I've read significantly less human characters in Slice of Life series than I'm reading here, and the intrigue, lawdy. There is some good ass plotting here. GRRM could learn a thing or two about how character motives play into political maneuvers.

So goooood.
It's an amazing book. Some of the best space-fantasy I've ever experienced.

VanWinkle

Hi ComicGAF, longtime lurker first time poster!

I only recently got into comics a couple of years ago and I primarily pull Image and Black Mask stuff. And some marvel titles (Doctor Strange, Uncanny Inhumans, All New Inhumans, and Black Panther). I have tried several times to get into dc comics but, I find the majority of their heroes to be lifeless and stale. It also does not help that I find most of the art in the big dc books to be very generic. I have read the first couple of volumes for Geoff Johns' Green Lantern, Snyder's Batman, Waid's Flash, Brubaker's Gotham Central, and Johns' Aquaman and I dropped all of them because they didn't grab me in any way. What other dc titles would you recommend I take a look at before trying out some of the Rebirth books?

If none of those, which are all very different and very acclaimed, grab you, then I can't help but think it's pretty impossible to make any suggestions for you. We obviously can't just say "Choose this highly-regarded title" or "choose that highly-regarded title" because odds are that you won't like it.

I also can't help but take offense with the assertion that the art in DC books is "very generic". I mean, let's take a small look at the titles you brought up:

Geoff Johns Green Lantern:
2961049-5808665375-The-G.jpg

Snyder Batman:

Waid Flash:

Gotham Central:

Geoff Johns Aquman:

I mean, you chose stuff (besides maybe Waid Flash) that is known for it's fantastic art, so to say that it's generic makes it way too hard to suggest anything to you.

Yeah, honestly, if Snyder's Batman, Gotham Central, Aquaman all get tossed in the same "generic art" bin, I have absolutely no idea what could possibly be recommended. GC is a book that shows up on a fair few "best comics ever" lists; if that didn't grab you, it might simply be that nothing DC is capable of it, for whatever reason.

Messi

What the hell is next week's Deadpool #13. It is a 4 part crossover in one book and is $9.99. But it seems to be written by the other books writers.

STL006555.jpg

) Gerry Duggan & Various (A) Various (CA) Francisco Herrera
An all-new epic four-issue crossover in one package! This issue of Deadpool (lucky number 13) LITERALLY contains two issues of DEADPOOL, one issue of DAREDEVIL, and one issue of POWER MAN & IRON FIST! When Deadpool take a gig protecting a banker who betrayed his cartel partners, they seek the help of Assistant District Attorney Matt Murdock, who calls in the assistance (and fists) of Power Man Luke Cage and Danny Rand, master of the Iron Fist! A mega-violent, street-level, face-punching, gut-busting, kung-fuing, ninjitsuing crime story guaranteed to knock your teeth out! Bringing together the writers of the DEADPOOL, DAREDEVIL, and POWER MAN & IRON FIST series: Gerry Duggan, Charles Soule, and David Walker!
Parental Advisory

Fun idea

If none of those, which are all very different and very acclaimed, grab you, then I can't help but think it's pretty impossible to make any suggestions for you. We obviously can't just say "Choose this highly-regarded title" or "choose that highly-regarded title" because odds are that you won't like it.

I also can't help but take offense with the assertion that the art in DC books is "very generic". I mean, let's take a small look at the titles you brought up:

Geoff Johns Green Lantern:

Snyder Batman:

Waid Flash:

Gotham Central:

Geoff Johns Aquman:

I mean, you chose stuff (besides maybe Waid Flash) that is known for it's fantastic art, so to say that it's generic makes it way too hard to suggest anything to you.

Yeah I'd argue theres little stylistic overlap between those artists certainly no more or less stylistic distinction than in the marvel titles he mentions. I dont mean to pile up on him or anything but 'generic' isn't a very good descriptor so its a bit hard to give recommendations based on that.

VanWinkle

Got a few things this past week that all came in today.

vLadLex.jpg

I've really needed to read Watchmen forever so I'm glad to have that. I'm been pretty excited for Flash by Morrison/Millar. And Giant-Size X-Men was $13.50 and a good introduction for me to X-Men.

TheFlow

Banned
Last Months sales.
1 Black Panther 1 $4.99 Marvel 253,259
2 Star Wars Poe Dameron 1 $4.99 Marvel 175,322
3 Dark Knight III Master Race 4 $5.99 DC 143,055
4 Star Wars Special C-3PO 1 $4.99 Marvel 120,841
5 Batman 51 $3.99 DC 101,922
6 Gwenpool 1 $4.99 Marvel 100,852
7 Star Wars 18 $3.99 Marvel 98,880
8 Darth Vader 19 $3.99 Marvel 76,965
9 Harley Quinn & Suicide Squad April Fools Special 1 $4.99 DC 75,354
10 Amazing Spider-Man 10 $3.99 Marvel 73,643
11 Justice League 49 $3.99 DC 71,131
12 Amazing Spider-Man 11

Black Panther is going to be in the top 10 this month too but it is crazy how the star war titles are outselling the marvel characters.

Messi

Last Months sales.
1 Black Panther 1 $4.99 Marvel 253,259
2 Star Wars Poe Dameron 1 $4.99 Marvel 175,322
3 Dark Knight III Master Race 4 $5.99 DC 143,055
4 Star Wars Special C-3PO 1 $4.99 Marvel 120,841
5 Batman 51 $3.99 DC 101,922
6 Gwenpool 1 $4.99 Marvel 100,852
7 Star Wars 18 $3.99 Marvel 98,880
8 Darth Vader 19 $3.99 Marvel 76,965
9 Harley Quinn & Suicide Squad April Fools Special 1 $4.99 DC 75,354
10 Amazing Spider-Man 10 $3.99 Marvel 73,643
11 Justice League 49 $3.99 DC 71,131
12 Amazing Spider-Man 11

Black Panther is going to be in the top 10 this month too but it is crazy how the star war titles are outselling the marvel characters.

I don't think it's that odd. Star Wars is super popular right now and the books are if high quality.

JTripper

Got a few things this past week that all came in today.

vLadLex.jpg

I've really needed to read Watchmen forever so I'm glad to have that. I'm been pretty excited for Flash by Morrison/Millar. And Giant-Size X-Men was $13.50 and a good introduction for me to X-Men.

Man I wish I could read Watchmen again for the first time. It was the first graphic novel I ever bought (and read) and it essentially got me into comics.

TheFlow

Banned
I don't think it's that odd. Star Wars is super popular right now and the books are if high quality.

Didn't think the star wars hype would hit the comic industry that hard but I forget that the starwars fanbase and people who read comics have a high correlation.

What kinda surprises me is how well DKIII is doing, and at 6 bucks an issue at that. I never see anybody talk about it here.
6 dollars an issue is fucking crazy and to be selling that like that? Lawd. Marvel is getting ideas

VanWinkle

Ugh this just isn't the right way to read comics. I mean, honestly, it's not that bad. And the screen QUALITY is amazing. But that screen is so small (8.4 inches). I want OVERSIZED art. But maybe I'll buy that DC Rebirth omni at the end of the year and read this the right way and see what other Rebirth books I may be interested in.

Dat Gary Frank cover, tho. So beautiful.

TheFlow

Banned
Ugh this just isn't the right way to read comics. I mean, honestly, it's not that bad. And the screen QUALITY is amazing. But that screen is so small (8.4 inches). I want OVERSIZED art. But maybe I'll buy that DC Rebirth omni at the end of the year and read this the right way and see what other Rebirth books I may be interested in.

GJzpmy2.jpg

read it on your computer man! by time all the rebirths oneshots are collected most titles will be at #6 if not higher.

JTripper

GJzpmy2.jpg

My shop said they're getting Rebirth in a couple days late but I managed to redeem a free copy from that Grant Gustin tweet and read it digitally on my 17 inch laptop screen and it still felt uncomfortable. I don't know if I'll ever get used to digital.

Make sure you're using guided view.

Dat Gary Frank cover, tho. So beautiful.

Uh maybe read it on your PC...?

VanWinkle

Make sure you're using guided view.

Man, I want to do that in a way, but I LOVE looking at a full page and really soaking up and appreciating the panel design. I can read everything since the screen really high resolution, but I just like seeing it bigger.

Uh maybe read it on your PC...?

Oh man, I tried that and it was ROUGH. My monitor is a 40" 1080p tv, and the resolution is just not nearly good enough.

Man, I want to do that in a way, but I LOVE looking at a full page and really soaking up and appreciating the panel design. I can read everything since the screen really high resolution, but I just like seeing it bigger.

Oh man, I tried that and it was ROUGH. My monitor is a 40" 1080p tv, and the resolution is just not nearly good enough.

Oh well, yeah. That's a no go.

If you're using CMX, you can set it to show the full page at the end, beginning, or both, of each page. So you can see the full spread, then get the panel-by-panel to read the text.

george_us

Man I wish I could read Watchmen again for the first time. It was the first graphic novel I ever bought (and read) and it essentially got me into comics.
First time I ever read it was for an English class assignment in college. We were supposed to read a few chapters a night but I wound up finishing it in two hours or so.

Funny how much difference half an inch can make. I use a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" and it does not feel nearly that small. It's still smaller than I would like, but I have a couple of old iPads for books with lots of spreads or interesting page layouts (like Dr. Strange).

TheFlow

Banned
What have I done

el5pIml.png

they are announcing the library editions of Hell on earth at the end of this year but I don't blame you for wanting to catch up and read the story.

I wonder if they will collect all of Abe Sapien in HC since his series ends this year and Mike mentioned all his works being collected in HC one day.

edit: I kill giants is great! good pickup on that

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
they are announcing the library editions of Hell on earth at the end of this year but I don't blame you for wanting to catch up and read the story.

I wonder if they will collect all of Abe Sapien in HC since his series ends this year and Mike mentioned all his works being collected in HC one day.

edit: I kill giants is great! good pickup on that

I already had 1-9 of Hell on Earth on soft cover, so I figured I'd just get the rest in that.

Isn't Hell on Earth supposed to end this year, too? I feel like I heard that somewhere.

I've been meaning to read I Kill Giants since 2008, figured it was time to get it.

Top Bottom