• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Man, I know a couple of people have been singing the praises of IDW's Transformers for a while now, but holy shit this is an extremely good political thriller, with giant transforming robots. This is one of the reasons I love comics. Transformers is an inherently silly premise, right? giant, block robots that turn into cars and planes and dinosaurs and so on. But to the minds behind this series, that doesn't matter. They don't care about how ridiculous the premise seems. They just USE it, and they do an astonishing job of it. I've read significantly less human characters in Slice of Life series than I'm reading here, and the intrigue, lawdy. There is some good ass plotting here. GRRM could learn a thing or two about how character motives play into political maneuvers.

So goooood.
You've sold me on it. Where should I start?

TheFlow

Banned
I already had 1-9 of Hell on Earth on soft cover, so I figured I'd just get the rest in that.

Isn't Hell on Earth supposed to end this year, too? I feel like I heard that somewhere.

I've been meaning to read I Kill Giants since 2008, figured it was time to get it.
all of the hellboy universe comics end this year at least the main 3. Mike is taking a year break so who wants to wrap that shit up.

Hell on earth

Hellboy in hell

Abe Sapien

all 3 end this year and all tie into each other for the ending.

You've sold me on it. Where should I start?
CMX unlimited has the first volume

first 27 issues out of 53 of the current transformers ongoing is available for sure under unlimited. just checked.There are other transformers titles that offer a free volume as well.

Hmmm I might have to finally check out that Transformers book when I have a little spare cash again.

Guided view is gutter trash. If wanted to look at panels in isolation I'd buy a Family Circus collection

It's great for people who haven't read a lot of comics. It's easy to forget how tricky it can be to learn to follow a comic book page because we've all been doing it since we were pretty young, it's second nature to us. My wife and daughter read in guided view exclusively.

Guided view is gutter trash. If wanted to look at panels in isolation I'd buy a Family Circus collection

I use it if I'm feeling tired and I want to rest my eyes, or if there's a ton of text on the page. My laptop is 16:9, and that's what I do my reading on, so it's sometimes hard to read.

Always have the whole page after the panels, though. Need to be able to see dat art. Truthfully I'd have it both before AND after, but that generally results in a ton of unnecessary clicking.

Truthfully I wouldn't bother if CMX would just let me set a higher default zoom level than fit to width, though :/

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Funny how much difference half an inch can make. I use a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" and it does not feel nearly that small. It's still smaller than I would like, but I have a couple of old iPads for books with lots of spreads or interesting page layouts (like Dr. Strange).

Are we still doing "phrasing"?

Also, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl remains a g-d delight. That double page spread made me giggle at least three times.

Are we still doing "phrasing"?

UJp9RLr.gif

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Wait, the IDW Transformers comics are legit good? Political thriller with robots sold me too, I'm in.

VanWinkle

Finished Rebirth. What a delight. It really made me excited for the future of the DCU.

Gary Frank. What a PRO artist. I adore his style.

Here's a non-spoilery page to show you what I mean.

SKRxLQh.png

Like, I'm generally not a huge fan of crosshatching shading (I don't hate it or anything), but I really love his version. It's a really unique and easily identifiable crosshatch technique. Please tell me he's working on one of the DC titles in this Rebirth thing. I don't think he is but I hope I'm just not remembering it.

Does Transformers: MTMTE get the IDW treatment as in a bunch of micro series weaving in and out of the plot all the time? That made TMNT a bit of a headache to get caught up on.

MG310

Finished Rebirth. What a delight. It really made me excited for the future of the DCU.

Gary Frank. What a PRO artist. I adore his style.

Here's a non-spoilery page to show you what I mean.

SKRxLQh.png

Like, I'm generally not a huge fan of crosshatching shading (I don't hate it or anything), but I really love his version. It's a really unique and easily identifiable crosshatch technique. Please tell me he's working on one of the DC titles in this Rebirth thing. I don't think he is but I hope I'm just not remembering it.

They should statue this up to make up for the weird interpretive dance one they put out based on Frank's Superman.

Enjoyed Rebirth and it makes me pretty optimistic for the new direction of the DCU. Art was a little spotty in some areas but Johns' heart was in the right place and it made for a fun read. Great way to kick this off.

BYE @ JL #50
splitting my otp up. T-T Poor Scott and Barda... The latter better get some more spotlight though after Rebirth. <.<

Now onto Rebirth.

VanWinkle

MAN am I glad to be back to Rivera on my read through of Ward's Daredevil. I mean, holy crap. I know art is subjective, so i definitely won't say Marcos Martin is a bad artist, but wow did I dislike that art. I know I wasn't ENTIRELY positive with Rivera in the early issues, but going back to it now it looks incredible.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What are some good fantasy comics? Something that has a similar tone to Witcher, Game of Thrones and Berserk.

[edit]

There's an upcoming comic that Mike Mignola re-tweeted that looked like the type of thing I was looking for. I can't seem to find it anywhere anymore, though.

[edit]

It's going to drive me insane that I can't find this comic. Does anyone follow Mike Mignola on Twitter and remember seeing this? It was a fantasy theme comic with knights and I believe there were some panels with pirates in them.

The comic didn't seem to have a lot of press cus when I googled the name of it, almost nothing came up on google about it, I think only about 2 hits were related to the comic itself.

Hagi

You mean DC or DC/Vertigo?

Kirby's New Gods!
Robinson's Starman
Brubaker/Rucka Gotham Central
Rucka's Wonder Woman
Baker's Plastic Man
Cole's Plastic Man
Moore's Swamp Thing (Though I don't remember if this was DC or Vertigo)
Ennis' Hitman

These I've heard good things about but haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

Simonson's Orion
Perez's Wonder Woman
Ostrander's Suicide Squad

Some titles I'd recommend to everyone:
Seven Soldiers of Victory
Flash by Johns
Flash by Morrison and Millar
Plastic Man by Baker
Catwoman by Brubaker
Wonder Woman by Perez (Rucka and Simone's stuff are supposed to be good too, haven't read them myself)
Batgirl by Bryan Q. Miller
Power Girl: Power Trip
Starman by Robinson (only read a bit myself, but it's very good)
All Star Superman (I have a feeling you've read this)

If you want to count Vertigo stuff then Animal Man, Doom Patrol, and Kill Your Boyfriend by Morrison are great. You Are Here and Why I Hate Saturn are also great. Then there's obvious stuff like Sandman, Y: The Last Man, etc.

Morrison Batman, JLA, Animal Man, All Star Superman
Johns JSA, Green Lantern, and Wally Flash
Waid Flash
Grell Green Arrow
O'Neil/Adams Green Lantern/Green Arrow
Perez Wonder Woman
Rucka Wonder Woman, Checkpoint, Batwoman Elegy, Gotham Central
Simone Wonder Woman, Birds of Prey, and preN52 Secret Six
Baker Plastic Man
Silver Age and Morrison Doom Patrol
Kirby Fourth World Saga, OMAC, The Demon
Cooke New Frontier
Any Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle Batman

That's all off the top of my head, if you want more I'm sure I can together a longer list.

Wow thanks a lot guys this should be more than enough to keep me busy.

ElNarez

Banned
Picked up Steve Rogers Captain America #1 expecting something dumb, but turns out the comics internet is stupid as all hell once again, because the game's pretty much given away if you pay attention.

Sin has traveled to 1926 and she's pushed Steve's mom into joining Hydra. HER NAME IS FUCKING ELIZA SINCLAIR. Saiz does this wonderful thing in coloring the flashbacks where the red on her costume lets you know that something's up. (The costume itself seems to evoke her contemporary outfit in a way). The narration is all about TIME. Red Skull talks about the past.

On a deeper level it's a comic about how fascism rewrites history to built its narrative, but we can't talk about that because you seriously think Nick Spencer would make Cap a goddamn nazi out of nowhere.

Vyer

Man, I know a couple of people have been singing the praises of IDW's Transformers for a while now, but holy shit this is an extremely good political thriller, with giant transforming robots. This is one of the reasons I love comics. Transformers is an inherently silly premise, right? giant, block robots that turn into cars and planes and dinosaurs and so on. But to the minds behind this series, that doesn't matter. They don't care about how ridiculous the premise seems. They just USE it, and they do an astonishing job of it. I've read significantly less human characters in Slice of Life series than I'm reading here, and the intrigue, lawdy. There is some good ass plotting here. GRRM could learn a thing or two about how character motives play into political maneuvers.

So goooood.

I've said before I consider MTMTE one of the best comic series running right now, full stop. not just 'good for a licensed ip' or 'good for something based on an old cartoon', but legit one of the most all around well written books in print. The fact that it does what it does with an 'ip from an old 80s cartoon' is just the cherry on top of an already great book.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I'll stick with Guided View. My eyes tend to wander where they shouldn't if I go full page. I get way better surprises and reveals with GV.

Zombine

Banned
I have only used it one time, and that was reading The Invisibles. I genuinely feel like that helped me focus on the story.

Choi/Atom stuff was great, as well as Blue Beetle and... Blue Beetle. I'm most interested in that, and the
JSA stuff
but I don't know which book will continue that storyline. I hope they reveal the JLA solicitation soon, maybe this weekend?

Hellers

I bring glad tidings of Scooby Apocalypse. I loved it. Great art, interesting story, a nice modern twist on the characters and the backup strip gave me the feels.

"Ruv ru"

Ok Germany ComicsGAF (and maybe others who have visited). If I have a chance to visit Vienna or Prague on an upcoming trip, which would you recommend?

Last Months sales.
5 Batman 51 $3.99 DC 101,922

51 issues and not a single one dropping under 100,000 physical sales is an enormous achievement.

Hi ComicGAF, longtime lurker first time poster!

I only recently got into comics a couple of years ago and I primarily pull Image and Black Mask stuff. And some marvel titles (Doctor Strange, Uncanny Inhumans, All New Inhumans, and Black Panther). I have tried several times to get into dc comics but, I find the majority of their heroes to be lifeless and stale. It also does not help that I find most of the art in the big dc books to be very generic. I have read the first couple of volumes for Geoff Johns' Green Lantern, Snyder's Batman, Waid's Flash, Brubaker's Gotham Central, and Johns' Aquaman and I dropped all of them because they didn't grab me in any way. What other dc titles would you recommend I take a look at before trying out some of the Rebirth books?

Hello and welcome!

I couldn't get into John's works and Waid's Flash much either (though I loved Gotham Central).

We were discussing some of DC's older runs yesterday, Hagi has collected them in this post.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=204708817&postcount=7927

Lot's of varied genres and art styles, hopefully you find something you enjoy.

Messi

I bring glad tidings of Scooby Apocalypse. I loved it. Great art, interesting story, a nice modern twist on the characters and the backup strip gave me the feels.

"Ruv ru"

I figured this would be the case after future quest. People were very quick to shit on it without reading it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Transformers has been on my 'to read' list for years... one of these days I'll get around to it.

Part of my wishes the movies didn't taint the franchise so badly... left a real bad taste in my mouth.

"Ruv ru"

I'm in! love me some Scooby Doo & the gang.

Does Transformers: MTMTE get the IDW treatment as in a bunch of micro series weaving in and out of the plot all the time? That made TMNT a bit of a headache to get caught up on.

There is the odd one here and there, but otherwise it's pretty self-contained. The Dark Cybertron crossover brings together both books but apart from that you can stick to MTMTE.

You should definitely check out Last Stand of the Wreckers if you're getting into MTMTE. It sets up a lot of later stuff, and is also one of the very best Transformers stories of all time. It's the same team, and was actually James Roberts' first ever published story. Before that, he was mainly known in TF circles for the fan-fic Regenesis, which is grim as fuck but actually fascinating.

Luigi87

Hm, I haven't read Silk since around Issue 4 or 5 (just been holding off, and then stopped reading Silk and SG until Spider-Women ends), but I just learned that Stacey Lee is returning to penciling for Silk #9 and that makes me so very happy.

Busaiku

Hm, I haven't read Silk since around Issue 4 or 5 (just been holding off, and then stopped reading Silk and SG until Spider-Women ends), but I just learned that Stacey Lee is returning to penciling for Silk #9 and that makes me so very happy.
Permanently?
She did 1 earlier issue in the current run as well.
I cannot stand Tara Ford, so I was gonna drop it.

Vyer

The only issue I have with transformers is it feels like there is way, way, way too much dialogue for what it really is.

it can definitely be a bit dialogue heavy, which is a little tougher especially when starting with the series and not yet having a feel for the characters, but I've never felt it was wasted. I don't mind more text if I feel it is a positive on the story as a whole.

arkon

The only issue I have with transformers is it feels like there is way, way, way too much dialogue for what it really is.

I actually like that about it. Each issue feels like a much denser read than anything else I read. Feels like I'm getting my money's worth each month.

Top Bottom