• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

I'm glad I'm not sensitive to spoilers because the ending to Captain America is being posted all over Twitter. Hasn't even been two days.

I read it second thing yesterday because I was expecting to be spoiled and I am sensitive to that. Needless to say, I'm pretty mad at Spencer because he knew how this would be received and how non-comic readers would react.

TheFlow

Banned
Yo messi even though I am all caught up on MHA I decided to start purchasing the manga to show my support.

It is in my top 5 current ongoing

murderismyreligion.png
MURDER IS THE RELIGION IVE BUILT

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Can't believe Nick Spencer has turned Cap into Dennis Reynolds.

All those years of character development ruined!

13254280_10206179664761807_6436586898276774251_n.jpg

If I had to guess where this is from it would be

Luther strode

Rasputin

Yes the latest and last issue of Luther Strode. It was great. Tradd Moore out-did himself yet again. Going to now re-read the series in one straight shot.

Luther Strodes writing never really did much for me but oh man Tradd Moore art. Dude is just fucking tremendously talented and one of the most skilled artists out there

"Murder is the religion I've built" is now in my all time top 5 favorite quotes.

TheFlow

Banned
Yea I am on strange talent now. The way he thinks he got his powers reminds me of how Johnny bravo got his muscles.

Messi-sorry bud wrong person. Think it was freezaursas rex

There is the odd one here and there, but otherwise it's pretty self-contained. The Dark Cybertron crossover brings together both books but apart from that you can stick to MTMTE.

You should definitely check out Last Stand of the Wreckers if you're getting into MTMTE. It sets up a lot of later stuff, and is also one of the very best Transformers stories of all time. It's the same team, and was actually James Roberts' first ever published story. Before that, he was mainly known in TF circles for the fan-fic Regenesis, which is grim as fuck but actually fascinating.

I actually just hit Dark Cybertron in Robots In Disguise, so I'm going back and paging through MTMTE. It's p. good, though I think that it's a little weaker. Much funnier, though.

Nightwing Vol. 4: Love and Bullets

Continuing through my run of Chuck Dixon's Nightwing, I am met with yet another great entry into the saga of Dick Grayson. The problem is that I don't really have much to write about. At least not in terms of plot. We have Huntress showing up on a rampage through the Turk's gang, which works under Blockbuster. It's interesting to see Helena and Dick, whereas they both came from personal tragedy at the hands of the mafia, Dick managed to focus his anger and become a better person, where as Helena became a rage-fueled vigilante who doesn't care about others. The Punisher if he had color and flair. I don't really think I approve of Dick just writing off Helena like that, since isolating her is hardly a helpful thing to do. Especially when she's already angry and isolated, but you can't help those who won't help themselves, and she's clearly not in the business of helping herself. During the hullabaloo, Dudley Soames has finally rehabilitated and his first major act is strangling the lovely Doctor Pavar, because he's racist (not really, but he seems like he would be) and because he's pissed about the whole head thing. He pretty much feels that she pretended that she couldn't fix his condition in order to turn him into a little experiment. Now he has become Torque, an outdated gangster stereotype who leaves palindromes at various shootings. That's his gimmick. That, and the desire to murder all of Blockbuster's organization.

After a massive clusterfuck where Torque, Cisco Blaine (Turk's highest level enforcer, right hand man, and now successor and Blockbuster's new right hand man), Huntress, and Nightwing all make it out alive, Superman shows up and bros out with Dick. By the way, I love the interaction between the two, with Superman being like the cool uncle and Dick being the fun nephew. Seeing Dick not being able to get over Clark's powers is awesome to see. I mean, he's seen them time and time again and has seen so much ridiculous stuff over the years, but he still gets all giddy. Anyways, Clark helps save a set of projects, once again setting back Blockbuster. See, the Turk was running all the construction unions and owned Bludhaven's largest construction company, and Blockbuster was going to use him to seal a deal to rebuild Gotham after the events of No Man's Land. However, taking out Turk set those plans back, and a bunch of Gothamites are moving into Bludhaven, causing housing to become a low supply/high demand commodity. We see increased hostilities between Gothamites and Bludhaviens (Bludhavenites? Roll with me), which comes to a head when one of Blockbuster's goon squads attempts to take the projects via shady shit. Supes and Dick delay this, and then pay Blockbuster a visit, where it's revealed that he has an enlarged heart, with only maybe a week to live.

Now, during this time Dick and his landlady, Bridget Clancy, have been dating. While on a date, it's revealed that she wanted to become a doctor, but money is a thing she didn't have. Dick encourages her to do so, and he decides to become a cop, which has to be one of the most interesting storylines to grace superhero comics. So we see Dick going through police academy training, something that is fun and hilarious to see, whilst also pursuing a series of robberies that he freely admits would fit his modus operandi. Turns out the thieves are a pair of French acrobat sisters that go by the name Double Dare. They're pretty much on par with Dick and also both have a crush on him. Blockbuster tries to have all three killed by sending Stallion and Brutale. However, because these two have such a high success rate, he sends Electrocutioner along with them. Electrocutioner, who is visually a strange amalgam of Iron Fist and Marvel NOW! Cyclops, is also just as intelligent as Stallion and Brutale. Sadly, all three get their asses kicked and Nightwing just leaves them without bothering to contact the cops, because having to crawl back to Blockbuster in shame is worse.

Dick Grayson: Eternal Villain Shamer.

Anyways, Double Dare gets away. Also, Blockbuster finds out about his heart condition, and is now officially on a timer. During all those events, we have one of quite possibly my favorite rogues in any gallery of all time (not even ironic): NITE-WING a.k.a. Tad Ryerstad. Tad was shot the fuck up in the last volume, and he wakes up at Leslie Tompkins hospital in Gotham, where he's healed and sent on his way free of charge. Being insane, this means he finds one of the dudes that shot him up and forces the guy to watch him to do over 960 one-armed push-ups to prove that he can't make it to a 1000 anymore. Why, you ask? Because he got shot. Tad then takes the guy to the train tracks, interrogates him, and then lets him go running back to his gang's hideout. This hideout, funnily enough, is a defunct restaurant called BOOM! Burger. Tad then beats the shit out of everyone in there and blows the place up, because he has a sense of humor. Oh Tad, you kooky guy, you.

The volume ends with Dick being summoned to Gotham by Batman, and we get a nice story where, having been knocked the fuck out, Dick is going over his past in his head with Robin. We assume that this is Dick's past self reflecting over the years, however it turns out that the voice in his head was Jason. Something that I thought was rather sweet. Anyways we see Dick wake-up on the floor of a cell in Arkham with a bunch of goons surrounding him and a smile on his face, with his internal monologue stating how much he loves being a hero and wouldn't trade any of it for the world.

Now, technically I'm skipping some stuff. The volume does begin, technically, with Nightwing #1,000,000. I skipped it because while, out of context, it's a nice little story about how Dick finds out that he's viewed as one of the greats, I haven't read any of DC One Million. Therefore, even as cool as this story is, it's part of a greater saga that I have yet to experience, and therefore has no impact on me. The actual last story in the volume is Nightwing: Secret Files and Origins #1, where we see all kinds of cool shit. Bios on his rogues and supporting cast; a diagram of his base of operations; his police academy file and final evaluation, which proves that he graduated with flying colors; and finally, a couple short little comics: one that goes through an average day in the life of Tad Ryerstad; one that basically goes "Dick and Barbara forever"; and a revisited story from the Teen Titans where Dick is having a hard time dealing with the anniversary of his parents' death. All very nice and cool to see.

All in all, this was another good volume. Dixon's writing is ace, and the combo of McDaniel on pencils and Story on ink proves to still hold up and fun to read. The action remains kinetic, if a bit chaotic at times, but it still is followable and has a great energy that makes it remain entertaining and fun. My favorite part about the art comes in to play during Tad's parts of the story, where he's so fucking crazy and it's so off-putting because of the heavily cartoonish style used with him. Almost like they switched it up and made it more cartoonish just for his segments. It's delightful as fuck. Dixon's run continues to be a great read, with compelling storylines, great action, a likable growing cast of characters, and a continuous deepening of the character that is Richard Grayson. This book alone with why Dick is one of my favorite superheroes.

Li Kao

Got back into comics a few days ago and I was pleasantly surprised by Aftershock Comics.

2XhM3F1.jpg

Their Second Sight is surprisingly solid. Being pretty much totally uninterested in serial killer fiction I didn't expect to like it so much. And I don't know what is so good about it, maybe a case of the whole being better than the sum of its parts.
Characters are appealing, some plot points are intriguing and could turn frankly supernatural, the not intriguing plot points are interesting nonetheless, I really recommend it if you can stomach some pretty dark crimes and violence.
What a nice surprise - 8/10

a3rquX4.jpg

In the other hand coming from such a strong point, Strayer was pretty much a total let down. Some nice little elements don't save the world from feeling like your typical post apocalyptic fantasy. Characters can be funny but are generally very bland. Maybe there is a plot down the line but three issues in I get an annoying feeling of a waste of time.
And on the drawing front, Juan Gedeon art is often confusing, leading to dubious storytelling.
Why the fuck should I care - 4/10

mreddie

The odd thing about the Aftershock and Vailant stuff is nothing clicks with me, Faith has been the only thing worthwhile and I heard about Captain Kid, that sounds like Waid doing work as well.

a3rquX4.jpg

In the other hand coming from such a strong point, Strayer was pretty much a total let down. Some nice little elements don't save the world from feeling like your typical post apocalyptic fantasy. Characters can be funny but are generally very bland. Maybe there is a plot down the line but three issues in I get an annoying feeling of a waste of time.
And on the drawing front, Juan Gedeon art is often confusing, leading to dubious storytelling.

I read the first issue of Strayer and I forget it's a comic until I go to the store, and even then I have no urge to pursue the series further.

JTripper

Does anyone actually consider Before Watchmen to be canon? Because I feel like the good stories to come out of that are good enough to be considered canon without affecting Watchmen itself and the ones that are bad are just insignificant enough to just not matter at all whether they're canon or not.

Finally got to read Rebirth. And because somebody on here wasn't so hot on it, I felt like I should post some remarks so he didn't feel alone.

Rebirth is...alright. It's less a story and more vignettes that don't really add up to anything. As a reader whose DC consumption is only Snyder's Batman and King's Grayson & Omega Men, I didn't quite understand why we were being shown these vignettes. Sure, the stakes are obvious, but the beats don't quite connect to those stakes. Nor do they really build to the climax.

Part of it is my problems with Geoff Johns as a writer; he's overly earnest and wears all his emotions on his sleeves. This can lead to some hella embarrassing prose, such as the opening of the Aquaman page: "I realize it wasn't ten years that was stolen from us. It was love." Sometimes it works,
like the reunion between Barry and Wally
, but it mostly falls into too much earnest telling, not enough showing.

And the whole thesis of the book, hope & optimism (or really nostalgia) winning over darkness, seems tonally deaf considering Johns masterminded the whole darkness part. Everything he's refuting in the book is stuff he created. The tone of "it was somebody else" doesn't work for me.

Same with the
Watchmen
reveal. It seems so arbitrary and counter to what's actually in the original graphic novel. Considering how poorly DC has integrated the Wildstorm stuff (which now seems to be getting purged and dumped) and Johns leaving the writing side, I don't hold out too much hope.

At the end of the day, this is a book for people who have a strong connection to the DCU. I'm somebody who loved the DCU back when Morrison was writing JLA and the emphasis was on legacy. This isn't so much that. This is trying to squish together the old with the new without committing to anything. That's my big problem. Commit to something without having to lean so hard on nostalgia.

Also, yo Gary Frank, learn how to draw Asian people. That shit got close to racist caricatures. I'm reading Totally Awesome Hulk and it's all Korean-American art team understands how to draw a variety of Asian people.

And with that presentation, I've finished my degree. What the hell am I supposed to do now?

Read some comics I spose. Expecting to find Rebirth overwhelming but I'll give it a shot.

TheFlow

Banned
The odd thing about the Aftershock and Vailant stuff is nothing clicks with me, Faith has been the only thing worthwhile and I heard about Captain Kid, that sounds like Waid doing work as well.
Harbinger?

Xo maowar?

I only read two titles so far from valiant but they were definitely on par with what I read from marvel this year

JTripper

I loved Watchmen so much after I first read it I went and bought all 12 original issues on eBay for $90.

I still don't know where to put them.

TheFlow

Banned
Got back into comics a few days ago and I was pleasantly surprised by Aftershock Comics.

2XhM3F1.jpg

Their Second Sight is surprisingly solid. Being pretty much totally uninterested in serial killer fiction I didn't expect to like it so much. And I don't know what is so good about it, maybe a case of the whole being better than the sum of its parts.
Characters are appealing, some plot points are intriguing and could turn frankly supernatural, the not intriguing plot points are interesting nonetheless, I really recommend it if you can stomach some pretty dark crimes and violence.
What a nice surprise - 8/10

a3rquX4.jpg

I found out that my Barnes and Noble sells a shit ton of aftershock comics but a lot of them look meh. I like the way the books look physical though

Top Bottom