• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Sandfox

While there are legit complaints to be had, it feels like some are just assuming the story is going to be disrespectful to what Cap stands for when that likely won't be the case as we actually get through the story.

Im sure at the end of it they'll prove how Steve Rogers is actually totally awesome like Superior Spider-Man proved how Peter is the best Spidey.

But I mean if Steve would've said "I hate Niggers", you couldn't told me "oh its not gonna last forever chill bruh". Like ok, but I'm mad NOW tho.

frye

i mean, the thing with hydra is that they are pretty much a pretend bad guy at this point. i can''t remember the last time i've read a comic where when hydra showed up i was like "oh yeah, those dudes are nazis"

aly

While there are legit complaints to be had, it feels like some are just assuming the story is going to be disrespectful to what Cap stands for when that likely won't be the case as we actually get through the story.

I feel like most of the reason people are mad are due to timing. The movie just came out and that's the biggest time for non readers to maybe pay attention to the comic versions.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
i mean, the thing with hydra is that they are pretty much a pretend bad guy at this point. i can''t remember the last time i've read a comic where when hydra showed up i was like "oh yeah, those dudes are nazis"
The last time I had this feeling was back in 2004 when Steve told someone that Hydra executes his higher ups from time to time like the SA did. And even this was pretty forced and unsubtile.

MG310

Nope. Nick Spencer doubled and tripled down on it in a interview today:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-turned-steve-rogers-into-a-supervillain.html

He and Brevoort basically don't understand or care why it upset people, and are steamrolling on.

Basically the same response they throw out whenever the shocking thing happens during an event or Dan Slott's twitter when Superior Spider-Man started.

On the Cap spoiler

This makes Hydra the most incompetent motherfuckers on Earth as they could have easily could have won hundreds of times over if not for their own agent stopping them.

murderismyreligion.png
MURDER IS THE RELIGION IVE BUILT

This is fucking awesome

I really need to read the last two series, I liked Strange Talent

Re: Gary Franks asian face depictions. I didnt pick up on it mostly because Frank always draws faces weird. Like I feel they often dont match the rest of his craft.

Although it does kind of remind me of that issue of Ult Comics Miles-Man where Samnee drew Mexico City like a smaller town with Spanish architecture rather than the sprawling international megalopolis it is and drew the henchmen like they were from LA and the big crime kingpin wearing a fucking wife beater. I never rolled my eyes at an artists work I really like so hard.

Some people might think that, and I get it. But to some it's not. This sums up why some people are upset, especially Jews:

http://panels.net/2016/05/26/on-steve-rogers-1-antisemitism-and-publicity-stunts/
I read this article and ended up disagreeing with it even if I understand what theyre saying and feel their gripe is legitamite. Im pretty sure Kirby and Simon had a story where Cap had something similar going on to what is going on in Spencers run atm.

Always good to be reminded that famous Cap punching Hitler comic was pretty damn radical for its time tho

tim1138

I read this article and ended up disagreeing with it even if I understand what theyre saying and feel their gripe is legitamite. Im pretty sure Kirby and Simon had a story where Cap had something similar going on to what is going on in Spencers run atm.

Always good to be reminded that famous Cap punching Hitler comic was pretty damn radical for its time tho

ed! if I Kickstart your gofundme for your patreon, will you redraw every issue of Titans and save us from Brett Booth art? :D

Tales of Suspense # 67, Jack Kirby layouts drawn by Don Heck

original.jpg

COMICS!

Anyone have anything positive to say about the old Master of Kung-Fu comics? Still on the fence about the omnibus coming up next week but I don't want to get it and then regret it.

Anyone have anything positive to say about the old Master of Kung-Fu comics? Still on the fence about the omnibus coming up next week but I don't want to get it and then regret it.

The Master of Kung-Fu comics written by Doug Moench and drawn by Paul Gulacy and Mike Zeck are some of the best '70s Marvel comics. They were made around the time Bruce Lee was big and kung fu movies were popular, so they're like that, but with a real Steranko/James Bond twist to them. Gulacy does a bunch of stylish layouts and his figurework is exactly right for this kind of martial arts action comic. And Moench, for his part, has a lot of great characterizations and interesting plots to engage the reader with.

I think you'd like it!

The Master of Kung-Fu comics written by Doug Moench and drawn by Paul Gulacy and Mike Zeck are some of the best '70s Marvel comics. They were made around the time Bruce Lee was big and kung fu movies were popular, so they're like that, but with a real Steranko/James Bond twist to them. Gulacy does a bunch of stylish layouts and his figurework is exactly right for this kind of martial arts action comic. And Moench, for his part, has a lot of great characterizations and interesting plots to engage the reader with.

I think you'd like it!

Thank you. I hadn't realised it was mainly work by Moench. I am in the middle of his Moon Knight run and am really enjoying that. Will try volume 1. Don't know if it will hold my interest for 4 (!) omnibuses, but your recommendation makes it definitely worth a shot.

Edit: Found some preview pages here. It looks great!

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/topic/28492/MASTER-OF-KUNG-FU-OMNIBUS-VOL-1-PREVIEW?page=1

Ross61

Dan Abnett is such a weird exclusive. I thought they would've offered Rob Williams an exclusive deal before they gave Abnett one.

Vic_Viper

Are there any really good Black Widow runs? I think the only stuff I've read with her are Brubaker's Winter Soldier run and the few times she makes a minor appearance like in Fear Itself. Can anyone recommend me something recent to check out.

Thank you. I hadn't realised it was mainly work by Moench. I am in the middle of his Moon Knight run and am really enjoying that. Will try volume 1. Don't know if it will hold my interest for 4 (!) omnibuses, but your recommendation makes it definitely worth a shot.

Edit: Found some preview pages here. It looks great!

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/topic/28492/MASTER-OF-KUNG-FU-OMNIBUS-VOL-1-PREVIEW?page=1

You start to see more Gulacy's Steranko influence around the middle of that first omnibus I think, not just in subject matter but in the page mlayouts too

DkCC1ur.jpg

lir5P4U.jpg

You start to see more Gulacy's Steranko influence around the middle of that first omnibus I think, not just in subject matter but in the page mlayouts too

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/DkCC1ur.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/lir5P4U.jpg[/IMG]

ok, that is some impressive stuff.

Colouring is a bit different though.

Is Deadly Hands of Kung-Fu more of Shang-chi? I see that it was sold as a magazine with articles.

ok, that is some impressive stuff.

Colouring is a bit different though.

Is Deadly Hands of Kung-Fu more of Shang-chi? I see that it was sold as a magazine with articles.

Well, lot of old comics were drawn with very bright colors like that cuz its the only thing that would show up cuz of the terrible, terrible printing process. So now that they reproduce the comics like a modern book, they're usually real bright like that.

As for Deadly Hands of Kung Fu, I havent actually read those, but from my understanding they did have original comic stories in there starring mostly Shang Chi, but also guys like Iron Fist or White Tiger would be the star.

Shang Chi is an interesting character to me regarding his place in the Marvel Universe. He was distinctly created for one reason, cuz Marvel wanted a Bruce Lee of their own to do dope kung-fu comics with, and he had that in the 70s. But once that died down, he's kinda just existed on the peripherals. Dude needs a Fraction/Brubaker/Aja like run to really establish himself back in pop culture, the way the Immortal Iron Fist did.

Are there any really good Black Widow runs? I think the only stuff I've read with her are Brubaker's Winter Soldier run and the few times she makes a minor appearance like in Fear Itself. Can anyone recommend me something recent to check out.
Waid and Samnee's run has been great so far. It's only three issues in.

There's a mini series called Homecoming, six issues, back in like 2005. Its probably crazy out of print, but that shit was drawn by Bill Sienkiewicz and Goran Parlov so it had to be good, if I remember.

There's a more recent one by Majourie Liu and Daniel Acuna called "Name of the Rose” back in 2010 that was good.

There's a really great issue of Secret Avengers, #20 of the first volume, by Warren Ellis and Alex Maleev called "Encircle". You dont have to read the rest of the run, just know who the Avengers are, and Natasha has to do some Black Widow shit to save the day.

And of course, there's the current run on Black Widow by Mark Waid and Chris Samnee that is real dope so peep that as well.

Well, lot of old comics were drawn with very bright colors like that cuz its the only thing that would show up cuz of the terrible, terrible printing process. So now that they reproduce the comics like a modern book, they're usually real bright like that.

As for Deadly Hands of Kung Fu, I havent actually read those, but from my understanding they did have original comic stories in there starring mostly Shang Chi, but also guys like Iron Fist or White Tiger would be the star.

Shang Chi is an interesting character to me regarding his place in the Marvel Universe. He was distinctly created for one reason, cuz Marvel wanted a Bruce Lee of their own to do dope kung-fu comics with, and he had that in the 70s. But once that died down, he's kinda just existed on the peripherals. Dude needs a Fraction/Brubaker/Aja like run to really establish himself back in pop culture, the way the Immortal Iron Fist did.

I wonder if they should/could have compensated for the new printing techniques. I don't mean that in a crotchety "they should add the hisses and pops from the original vinyl release" way. Like you said, the original colourists compensated to get the effect they wanted.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
people really need to adapt to the internet in 2016 when it comes to spoilers.

Top Bottom