• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Finished the first 2 issues of Thor: God of Thunder.

It's just as good as the Lady Thor run, so glad I got all 4 trades, don't gotta wait in between them.

Can't get enough of Esad Ribic's artist, it's drop dead gorgeous.

Einchy

I asked this the other day but no one answered: do you guys know of any good fantasy books? Preferably grim-dark, tonally similar to Game of Thrones, Witcher or Berserk.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
New Avengers #3 - We got space cthullu, POD freaking out, Bobby doing his best super villain impression by having a giant space ship inside a mountain (and getting called on that by Songbird which was funny) Hulkling is some sort of kree-skrull savior king, Sandoval goes full world of warcraft with these kree-skrull knights... yeah I love this book so much.

latest

You dont fool me with those chin lines Sandoval, thats a fucking Night Elf and you know it :3

Actually, Green Lanterns Rebirth is this Wednesday. I was looking at #1.

No interest, but just in case someone is looking. Three DC comics next week is already three more than I've been buying, so I'll keep it at that. Double shipping will add up.

Sandfox

I really like the direction the Avenger books have been taking lately.

ANAD:
New member and their finally going on a big mission
Uncanny:
New members that are going cause some interesting dynamics for the group

And based on what I've read about the happenings in New Avengers I may give it another chance.

I'll probably give Green Arrow Rebirth a try just to see what they are doing with the character, but I'm not sure about the others.

I was looking at Green Lantern Rebirth... Written by Geoff Johns :)

...and Sam Humphries. :( :( :(

That's how DC plans on tricking people into buying the book.

VanWinkle

I asked this the other day but no one answered: do you guys know of any good fantasy books? Preferably grim-dark, tonally similar to Game of Thrones, Witcher or Berserk.

Like graphic novels, or prose novels? If the latter, you should read the Stormlight Archive books from Brandon Sanderson. The first two are out now and they're my favorite books ever. If graphic novels, I don't know.

Einchy

Like graphic novels, or prose novels? If the latter, you should read the Stormlight Archive books from Brandon Sanderson. The first two are out now and they're my favorite books ever. If graphic novels, I don't know.

Yeah, looking for graphic novels/comics.

There's lots of great fantasy novels out there but I'm far too lazy to read them but I can't think of many fantasy comics.
Image has a new book that's two issues in called The Black Road. I like it so far.

Looks interesting, thanks.

Giant-Size X-Men #3
So, at some point Marvel did a series of books where authors and artists did one-off stories involving Claremont's OG team. I picked up this one as this story in particular was written by Joss Whedon and drawn by Neal Adams while looking through X-Men back issues at my LCS. It was a cool little story about team-bonding. Wolverine is a dick, however, by both orchestrating rhe "exercise" in which the team (minus Cyclops and Banshee) duke it out. Wolverine then says he thinks that Thunderbird will outlive everyone based on how hard he hits.

Also there's three Silver-Age stories involving the O5 crossing-over with the Avengers, FF, and Spider-Man. These were reprints of the originals. I only read the first, as I had forgotten how exhausting it can be read all that dialogue. Stan Lee...You fuck...Still enjoyable, and a worthy purchase, even if it was random.
Fables is pretty solid. You wouldn't know it at the start, since it begins as a sort of fairy-tale mystery book, but it very quickly gets into a war book. Not super dark, but dark enough. I've only read the first nine volumes, though. Don't know how to goes beyond that. That's about the closest I've read to what you're asking for.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Im the only fan of New Avengers around here arent I?

Alone-GIF.gif

Im the only fan of New Avengers around here arent I?

Alone-GIF.gif

Sure. I mean, I don't hype the book with every issue I get. I don't say only positive things about that book. I haven't been one of the biggest shills for the book since it dropped.

No. I suppose you are the only fan of that book.

WEsKjz4.gif

Ross61

Are there any good pre-New 52 Superman/ Action Comic runs? Every time I ask for a good Superman comic I always get else world suggestions.

Today I learned that the power team of Bendis and Maleev had a Spider-Woman book. I suppose. I'll read pretty much anything those two are on. Jess seems cool, anyways.

Sometimes writers just don't gel with a set of characters. Remender's DC stuff was pretty mediocre.

Oh wait, I know what happened. Johns felt bad for him being such a terrible writer that Johns wrote the issue and let Humphries name appear on the cover too. I assume Johns has seen Our Love is Real. Who would ever hire the guy that wrote that?

Sandfox

Oh wait, I know what happened. Johns felt bad for him being such a terrible writer that Johns wrote the issue and let Humphries name appear on the cover too. I assume Johns has seen Our Love is Real. Who would ever hire the guy that wrote that?

The book that must not be named.

Apt101

I just read the Beasts of Burden and Hellboy one-shot ($1.99 Amazon digital). Fun little story. Jill Thompson is one of my favorite artists now, going to look up more of her work.

Leest

Batman Rebirth 1
edit: oh hell, Superman Rebirth 1
Unfollow 8

TMNT Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything 1

Deadly Class 21
Goddamned 4
Paper Girls 6
The Walking Dead 155

A-Force 6
ANAD Avengers 10
All-New Wolverine 9
Amazing Spider-Man 13
Civil War II 1
Invincible Iron Man 10
Moon Knight 3
Old-Man Logan 7
Spider-Man 2099 11
Spider-Woman 8
Spider-Women Omega 1

tim1138

According to Tim's Sources(tm) Green Lanterns is actually pretty good.

Aye.

How can anything with Humphries name on it be good? I don't understand.

Yea. This doesn't add up.

From what I was told, it was surprisingly good and has some decent humor.

More_Badass said:
Am I the only one here who's read Sweet Tooth? It kind of blew me away. I didn't know what to expect at first, but certainly didn't expect this from the cover art. The pitch I saw in articles was "Bambi meets The Road", and it's totally that, with a little Last of Us atmosphere too. It's bleak, violent, dark, yet also kind of charming

I really loved that series a lot, it's probably right after Essex County as my favorite Lemire book. I love the juxtaposition of how bleak and fucked up the story is with Lemire's art, I know a lot of people hate his style but I think it works really well here.

If this is your first exposure to Lemire, go back and check out the Complete Essex County and the Underwater Welder as well.

Zombine

Banned
My Walking Dead #155 bet:

Aaron isn't dead.

I've had multiple people (including my girlfriend) argue otherwise, but I just don't see it happening.

Zombine

Banned
I'm with you on this one.

It was too...I dunno.
Basically, they had to have someone job to that new dude to make him look formidable and to build the mindshare around him, but it's one of those things where had Kirkman wanted to kill him, the shocker that issue would have been his death, not getting stabbed.

Hagi

List time? list time.

Batman Rebirth #1
Green Arrow Rebirth #1
Superman Rebirth #1
A-Force #6
All-New Wolverine #9
Civil War II #1
Invincible Iron Man #10

Dropped Spider-Man and ANAD Avengers. Looking forward to Batman and Superman the most.

With tv winding down and the longer weekend I finally got back to my starman re read. I had stopped midway through the run (the 40s). And it's kind of funny the first arc I pick up with is A starman/Shazam crossover where Bulletman is accused of being a secret nazi spy in WW2 all this time! Interesting timing after recent comic book controversies

I'm also reminded how different style of writing Robinson uses in starman than current books but also golden age books. It's almost novel like in its word count but yet doesn't do the "write the words the art has already explained". Man this run holds up so well. All time great

JLA #10-#15 Rock of Ages: Damn, this was amazing. Why hasn't Morrison just written a straight New Gods series!? Good thing I read Kirby's New Gods before I read this otherwise I might have been a bit lost.
And Plastic Man kidnapping the Joker is the greatest thing ever.
. I also hope we get to see a lot more of this Wonderworld stuff, it looked super interesting.

And Wonder Woman finally gets her moment. Fight against Darkseid and destroying the Grandmother Box was awesome!

Nitpicks: Wonder Woman dies off screen? We get Apokolips and Darkseid and still no Big Barda and Scott Free?

That whole arc made me a Thor fan.

Yep, same with me. That run was brilliant.

If you haven't read it yet, I very strongly recommend reading Walter Simonson's Thor run. It is epic in the original sense of the word. Some great writing and brilliant art.

Starts here on Marvel Unlimited.

http://marvel.com/comics/issue/11665/thor_1966_337

Ends here

http://marvel.com/comics/issue/11710/thor_1966_382

You can also include the Balter The Brave issues (four of them).

http://marvel.com/comics/issue/17847/balder_the_brave_1985_1

They fit into the order here.

Thor 360
Balder 1
Thor 361
Thor 362
Balder 2
Balder 3
Balder 4

LIST

Everything Rebirth
Everything Valiant
Half of Marvel's output
Maybe some Image, I dont remember
Maybe an pull or two from other publishers

Rock of Ages is my favourite part of the Morrison run.

4001 A.D. #2 of 4
A-Force #6
All-New All-Different Avengers #10
All-New Wolverine #9
Amazing Spider-Man #13
Batman Rebirth One-Shot
Civil War II #1 of 7
Contest of Champions #9
Deadly Class #21
Green Arrow Rebirth One-Shot
Green Lanterns Rebirth One-Shot
Invincible Iron Man #10
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: Pink #1 of 6
Paper Girls #6
Superman Rebirth One-Shot
The Shadow: The Death of Margo Lane #1 of 6
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything #1 of 6
The Walking Dead #155

Zombine

Banned
Half-Assed Reading Y: The Last Man List:

All the Marvel books
The two Rebirth books
Walking Dead

Back to reading, almost done. I'm going to upgrade to absolute editions. It's only going to be something like 3 books. I'm probably going to give these hardcovers away.

Vyer

Half-Assed Reading Y: The Last Man List:

All the Marvel books
The two Rebirth books
Walking Dead

Back to reading, almost done. I'm going to upgrade to absolute editions. It's only going to be something like 3 books. I'm probably going to give these hardcovers away.

i haven't been paying attention zombine; is this your first read of Y?

Zombine

Banned
i haven't been paying attention zombine; is this your first read of Y?

No this is just my livejournal.

(Not my livejasmin like I called it the first time here.)

I found out these two things are entirely different but both of them involve boobs on the internet.

Read Irredeemable vol 1 and 2. This art is struggle. The story has been fine but I cant believe people recommend this so often with this art

Look for euro comics to fill your need there. Stuff from Humanoids/Heavy Metal is a good place to look
I have too much time on my hands.

But the whole thing is just so meme worthy
Got a giggle out of this
Such a great page.

7BXwdvt.jpg
Yup Ribic is a beast. Try to find his painted work, Sub Mariner, Silver Surfer, Thor and Loki

Ive also noticed Ribic does the Liefeld thing where he hides feet behind rocks

Top Bottom