• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Y volume 2 in September~ Less than 1 a year T_T Guess it's better that way for my wallet though. also shits new page...umm Hail Ms. Marvel!

TheFlow

Banned
Today's my birthday wooh!

List:
BATMAN REBIRTH #1
GREEN ARROW REBIRTH #1
GREEN LANTERNS REBIRTH #1
SUPERMAN REBIRTH #1
DEADLY CLASS #21
MOON KNIGHT #3
PAPER GIRLS #6

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
BATMAN REBIRTH #1
GREEN ARROW REBIRTH #1
SUPERMAN REBIRTH #1

WALKING DEAD #155
POWER RANGERS PINK #1

ALL NEW ALL DIFFERENT AVENGERS #10
ALL NEW WOLVERINE #9
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #13
CIVIL WAR II #1
DEADPOOL #13
INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #10
MOON KNIGHT #3
OLD MAN LOGAN #7
PUNISHER #2
SPIDER-MAN 2099 #11
X-MEN 92 #4

All the Marvel books
The two Rebirth books
Walking Dead

But there are four Rebirth books this week...unless this was an intentional slight against the shit storm that will be Green Lanterns.

My only set DC buys this week are Batman and Green Arrow. I'm leaning towards skipping Superman because I can't remember the last good Superman story I've read. Secret Identity or Red Son, most likely.

shingi70

Banned
Happy Birthday Flow!

BATMAN REBIRTH #1
GREEN ARROW REBIRTH #1
SUPERMAN REBIRTH #1
DOCTOR FATE #13
HAN SOLO #1

So my roommate has been watching Heroes Reborn, and there is a chick on there who straight ripped her powers from OnePiece. No fucking question.

Happy birthday, Flow!

DAS LIST:

Superman: Rebirth
Batman: Rebirth
Green Arrow: Rebirth
Green Lanterns: Rebirth
Doctor Fate #13
Batman Beyond #13

P. light week.

I read Green Lantern: Rebirth by Johns and EVS

I continue not to be a fan of EVS artwork. His faces tend to look pretty smushed and overall his lifework doesn't tend to elevate whatever he's working on. He is pretty adept at a couple things capes books rely on so he's still pretty effective.

I think this book's impact depends on your knowledge/affection of Hal Jordan a bit. As far as I understand it, Rebirth sought to scrap a lot of crap continuity around Hal Jordan and get him back to being *the* Green Lantern. Personally, I've liked Kyle a bit more from what I've read but I don't mind Hal.

Jist of the story is that Hal is controlled by both Parallax and Spectre and Sinestro is responsible for it in some way and now all the popular Green Lanterns have to fight Parallax and Sinestro while the Justice League stands around looking useless and Batman comes off as petty.

In a way Rebirth reminds me of Morrison's New X-Men in that it looked to actively undo or reset what came before it except New X-Men was really fucking great from the get go and Rebirth is still quality as a capes book but the title doesn't feel like its not gonna get better until later.

I've been looking into getting into Johns GL for a while now. I bought the Absolute Sinestro Corp War ($30!) and now Im working my way up to it.

It was X-Force for me

shame about all those good looking covers gone to waste

Happy birthday TF!

YDZMWBx.jpg

What does your list of top-tier creators look like?

By top-tier, I mean creators for whom you will
a) buy any book
b) stick with it for a long time even if it sucks because you have faith it will turn around

These should be active creators who are currently making some of your favorite books.

It's almost all writers for me:

Jonathan Hickman
Rick Remender
Greg Rucka
Ed Brubaker
Brian K. Vaughan
Fioana Staples
(Honorable Mention: Christopher Priest, who isn't really active at the moment but is about to be! Yay!)

Jason Aaron, Nick Spencer and Tom King are all close to being added to the list.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

a) buy any book
b) stick with it for a long time even if it sucks because you have faith it will turn around

These should be active creators who are currently making some of your favorite books.

Jonathan Hickman
Rick Remender
Greg Rucka
Ed Brubaker
Brian K. Vaughan
Fioana Staples
(Honorable Mention: Christopher Priest, who isn't really active at the moment but is about to be! Yay!)

Jason Aaron, Nick Spencer and Tom King are all close to being added to the list.
pretty much this, plus Synder & Johns

a) buy any book

Ed Brubaker (Criminal, Velvet, Fatale)
Jason Aaron (Scalped, Southern Bastards, The Goddamned)
Greg Rucka (Lazarus, Gotham Central)
Brian Vaughan (Saga, Y, Paper Girls)
Scott Snyder (Wytches, The Wake, Batman)

And I love Steve Epting's art

a) buy any book

Jonathan Hickman
Rick Remender
Greg Rucka
Ed Brubaker
Brian K. Vaughan
Fioana Staples

I'll try anything from Morrison and Mignola but I guess with Morrison doing Heavy Metal and Hellboy ending, neither of them will be too active on the ongoing front.

I typically try everything from Remender though

a) buy any book

I'd probably say Hickman, Snyder, King, Morrison and Waid.

I dropped ANAD Avengers pretty recently though. I wouldn't say it sucked but I lost any enthusiasm I had for reading it. I'll probably jump back in for the annual with Kamala's fan fiction though.

TheFlow

Banned
Jonathan Hickman
Rick Remender
Greg Rucka
Ed Brubaker
Brian K. Vaughan
Fioana Staples
Matt fraction

there are some other great people but I feel they need to pad their resume some more

#5 was a great conclusion to the Anakin & Obi-Wan series. Really enjoyed it. It added a lot to their relationship and I enjoyed the cyberpunk setting.

Soule's done some great work with Star Wars since Marvel reacquired the rights.

Top Bottom