• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Messi

Yay. Did the baby pop out yet and if so, do we know who the baby daddy is?

Yes and they dealt with that much better than I thought they would. I left thinking...oh man thats really fucking cool. I don't want to say more.

The page where the baby is born is absolutely perfect and made me want to cry.

Messi

I can't wait for the next writer to take over and reveal it was Norman Osborn.

I really hope they never come back to it. They don't need to. I thought it was perfect. But this is comics so they will.

Really impressed with how they are dealing with the baby stuff post birth. I thought they would screw it up but it seems really great.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Does Porcupine continue to be a part of the book?

Seems kinda weird that you didn't put Brubaker on that list. Got burned on something he wrote?

Not burnt exactly. I tried the first trades of Sleeper, Fatale and his Captain America run and I didn't enjoy them as much as Gotham Central, Criminal or Iron-Fist. At this point I do like his writing style in general (and I am big fan of the genre) but I will take a closer look at the pitch/reviews before I jump in.

JLA #16,#17 + Prometheus #1 + JLA/WildC.A.T.S #1: The Prometheus arc was a pretty fun way to show us the new JLA and also the layout of the Watchtower. Plastic Man saves the day. And Orion and Barda got dumped introduced in one page. The WildC.A.T.S crossover was a bit meh.

Nitpick: WW pushed into the background again. Prometheus was so well prepared for everyone and even he didn't have anything for WW. Catwoman had to save them. -_-

Messi

One day I am going to binge on this series. That cover art is great

Thats just the variant, McKelvie does all the regular covers. Which are also all incredible.

This was the cover from two issues ago and the variant. I want prints.

STL002264.jpg
STL002265.jpg

JLA #10-#15 Rock of Ages: Damn, this was amazing. Why hasn't Morrison just written a straight New Gods series!? Good thing I read Kirby's New Gods before I read this otherwise I might have been a bit lost.
And Plastic Man kidnapping the Joker is the greatest thing ever.
. I also hope we get to see a lot more of this Wonderworld stuff, it looked super interesting.

And Wonder Woman finally gets her moment. Fight against Darkseid and destroying the Grandmother Box was awesome!

Nitpicks: Wonder Woman dies off screen? We get Apokolips and Darkseid and still no Big Barda and Scott Free?

Yeah, the thing about JLA is that it was kinda at the whims of whatever was going on in the DC comics at the time. That's why Superman is suddenly electric blue, and they just kinda handwave it away like "Interesting outfit, Clark" "Interesting times, Bruce". Plus, they actually gave Electric Superman something unique to do by powering up the JL watchtower before zapping down to Earth to wrestle a king Angel from an invasion from Heaven.

So Wonder Woman is actually killed by that Neron guy you saw in the Angel two-parter, he's a bad guy created by Mark Waid back in '95 for a crossover. But whatever, spoilers, she gets better.

Also I dont think Scott Free shows up in this ;_; but Big Barda does!

Fixed.

Yeah, the thing about JLA is that it was kinda at the whims of whatever was going on in the DC comics at the time. That's why Superman is suddenly electric blue, and they just kinda handwave it away like "Interesting outfit, Clark" "Interesting times, Bruce". Plus, they actually gave Electric Superman something unique to do by powering up the JL watchtower before zapping down to Earth to wrestle a king Angel from an invasion from Heaven.

So Wonder Woman is actually killed by that Neron guy you saw in the Angel two-parter, he's a bad guy created by Mark Waid back in '95 for a crossover. But whatever, spoilers, she gets better.

Also I dont think Scott Free shows up in this ;_; but Big Barda does!

Yeah, Barda just showed up. About to start v3 tonight.

Wonder Woman just seems so replaceable in this run at this time. (And she was replaced by Hippolyta with no changes to the rest of the book). I don't know if Morrison wasn't really interested in the character or if editorial didn't give him a chance to write her as he wished.

Fixed.

Yeah, Barda just showed up. About to start v3 tonight.

Wonder Woman just seems so replaceable in this run at this time. (And she was replaced by Hippolyta with no changes to the rest of the book). I don't know if Morrison wasn't really interested in the character or if editorial didn't give him a chance to write her as he wished.

Wonder Woman has always been his weakest character of the Big 7 during the run. He's pretty much got THE definitive modern Superman and Batman, as seen here and later runs with All-Star Superman and his Batman run. He's got a great dynamic between Wally West and Kyle rayner, and he actually builds a really nice arc of self-belief of Kyle growing into the GL role over the course of the run. Aquaman has pretty much only seemed cool and authorian in this series of comics(including JLA Earth 2, which is in volume 4), and he's got a great Martian Manhunter voice, and keeps him in plot action with his mindlink and Superman-esque powers. Diana is just kinda generic hero stuff, he never really had a great handle on her as a character. I feel he knew that with Final Crisis. Pretty much everybody gets some big moment there, like Superman Beyond and coming back to sing Darkseid to death, or Batman shooting dude with the God-killing gun, or Barrey Allen and Wally West Flash outrunning time and death, etc. Wonder Woman gets mind controlled off-panel and just does a generic hero pose near the end, lol.

Thats why I thought his Wonder Woman: Earth One was an interesting project. It was the one character he's never really had a great handle on.

BigDes

Nighthawk felt weird.

Like for the most part the art was fantastic but when it came to action sequences it just felt flat, like no sense of motion.

An early panel when he jumps into a crowd of goons felt like a staged photo than a dynamic scene

Owzers

4 loot boxes, only one epic and that was a coin. Why. Why Blizzard, you keep making these games...

I also started reading Hawkeye and Deadpool mini again on MU, first two issues were great.

So does anyone have an opinion on Bendis & Maleev's Spider-Woman run? They're my power team, so I'll read the book regardless. As far as I'm concerned everything they do is gold. Daredevil, Moon Knight, and currently International Iron Man.

Still, I'd like to know a little bit going in to it, so I can prepare myself.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So does anyone have an opinion on Bendis & Maleev's Spider-Woman run? They're my power team, so I'll read the book regardless. As far as I'm concerned everything they do is gold. Daredevil, Moon Knight, and currently International Iron Man.

Still, I'd like to know a little bit going in to it, so I can prepare myself.

Issue 1 did nothing for me and I didnt read the rest

Is Brand New Day a good place to start reading Amazing Spider-Man?

I picked up Marvel Unlimited and started Amazing Spider-Man with the 2014 "reboot" where Peter gets his body back. However there were a lot of stuff mentioned that I have no clue on. For example, MJ is with some firefighter and there are other mentions that I didn't know about.

I really enjoyed Ultimate Spider-Man because it was a straight forward path in terms of following the story.

ASM seems like mess to catch up on with how much story there is. Any recommendations? Would like to follow a path that leads to the 2014 story.

Rhaknar

I picked up Marvel Unlimited and started Amazing Spider-Man with the 2014 "reboot" where Peter gets his body back. However there were a lot of stuff mentioned that I have no clue on. For example, MJ is with some firefighter and there are other mentions that I didn't know about.

I really enjoyed Ultimate Spider-Man because it was a straight forward path in terms of following the story.

ASM seems like mess to catch up on with how much story there is. Any recommendations? Would like to follow a path that leads to the 2014 story.

You already fucked up by skipping Superior

You already fucked up by skipping Superior
EDIT: Nevermind was confused there.

I read a few issues but not the whole thing. Heard a bunch of praise for it though. I'd like to get into it fully if I can follow through to it with ASM.

BND is where I started, but you could probably start at Big Time for what you want and continue that into Superior.
Thanks. I'll probably start with BND then.

Sandfox

ASM seems like mess to catch up on with how much story there is.

Any recommendations? Would like to follow a path that leads to the 2014 story.
BND is where I started, but you could probably start at Big Time for what you want and continue that into Superior.

So, got caught up on Transformers: MTMTE

It's Good Comics. The action is well-paced, the plotting is intricate and gratifying, but the stuff that most stood out to me was the character and relationship writing, which is freakishly compelling when you consider the subject matter.

Still chewing my way through Robots in Disguise, and I gotta say, when it focuses on what it does well it does very well. The larger-than-life semi-mythological stuff is good, the political maneuvering is great; watching factions and leaders rise and fall as events play out is really compelling.

What it's not good at is Big Robots Punching Robots Events. It seems comicbook event syndrome does not spare Transformers. Both Dark Cybertron and the COmbiner Wars arcs were mediocre as FUCK.

Ross61

So, got caught up on Transformers: MTMTE

It's Good Comics. The action is well-paced, the plotting is intricate and gratifying, but the stuff that most stood out to me was the character and relationship writing, which is freakishly compelling when you consider the subject matter.

Still chewing my way through Robots in Disguise, and I gotta say, when it focuses on what it does well it does very well. The larger-than-life semi-mythological stuff is good, the political maneuvering is great; watching factions and leaders rise and fall as events play out is really compelling.

What it's not good at is Big Robots Punching Robots Events. It seems comicbook event syndrome does not spare Transformers. Both Dark Cybertron and the COmbiner Wars arcs were mediocre as FUCK.
Can you just jump into More Than Meets The Eye without prior reading?

I've grown more attached to the Exiles than I have to any team in recent memory. Even compared to Hickman's Avengers.

It's so bittersweet seeing
Blink back with the team
(just finished #37) though after what happened. :(
I love the entire cast but Sunfire was one of my faves

I also love all these parallel worlds. So many interesting stories to tell.

----

Seeing Broo in the All New X-Men #9 was the highlight of that issue lmao. I love him so much.

Picked up I Hate Fairyland thanks to a recommendation earlier in the thread and it's really really fun. The art definitely seems influenced by Ren and Stimpy

Top Bottom