• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Finished Godbomb.

This whole run is one of my favorite runs in any comic I've read.

Picked up volume 3 and I'm super bummed to see that Esad Ribic isn't the artist on it which fucking blows. Looks like he's back on the fourth volume, though.

I haven't read everything they've done but the closest I'd have to that

Neil Gaiman
Terry Moore
Peter David
Grant Morrison
Mark Waid
Geoff Johns
Greg Rucka
Mike Carey
David Mack
Paul Dini
Chris Bachalo
Colleen Coover
Amanda Connor

Supergirl

Messi

:p

XiJoNy7.jpg

Hagi

I caved and bought 11 loot boxes for Overwatch. Got a few skins for different characters I don't really use but got the pink imp costume for Mercy so all is right in the world. Got enough currency to unlock the bkack skin for D.Va as well so I'm retiring from buying boxes.

Reading through the first volume of Johns run on the Flash and really enjoying it. The art is really cool as is the use of panelling. Captain Cold is awesome.

Zombine

Banned
Lot of Omnibi(Omniboose?) collections coming out in the fall. I have Flash by Manapul and Buccellato preordered. Bunch of other ones that didn't catch my eye as well.

tim1138

Y'all buying that N52 Flash omnibus better be prepared for some boring ass comics. If you're looking for a Flash fix then grab the Johns and Waid Wally collections as they drop.

JLA #22 - #26, #28 - #31: Three fairly decent arcs. I thought Morrison was going to pull a Bendis when J'onn was wondering about Dream as if he had never met him before but he did talk about the previous meeting later. Also loved the Wildcat and Plastic Man interactions (and the Plastic Man and Huntress interactions).

Wonder Woman randomly disappears and Hippolyta shows up again due to the JSA connection. -_-

The more I read this run, it's starting to just feel like a series of great arcs thrown together. It is missing a lot of cohesiveness and character development across arcs.

I really want a Henderson/North Plastic Man series. He can play a private eye and just interact with the DC universe with all the other characters playing the straight man.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Just mad it's taking you away from Overwatch, I bet.

haha not far from the truth

I caved and bought 11 loot boxes for Overwatch. Got a few skins for different characters I don't really use but got the pink imp costume for Mercy so all is right in the world. Got enough currency to unlock the bkack skin for D.Va as well so I'm retiring from buying boxes.

until the next wave of costumes...

Lot of Omnibi(Omniboose?) collections coming out in the fall. I have Flash by Manapul and Buccellato preordered. Bunch of other ones that didn't catch my eye as well.

the art in that run is fantastic - will look great in an omni

JLA #22 - #26, #28 - #31: Three fairly decent arcs. I thought Morrison was going to pull a Bendis when J'onn was wondering about Dream as if he had never met him before but he did talk about the previous meeting later. Also loved the Wildcat and Plastic Man interactions (and the Plastic Man and Huntress interactions).

Wonder Woman randomly disappears and Hippolyta shows up again due to the JSA connection. -_-

The more I read this run, it's starting to just feel like a series of great arcs thrown together. It is missing a lot of cohesiveness and character development across arcs.

I really want a Henderson/North Plastic Man series. He can play a private eye and just interact with the DC universe with all the other characters playing the straight man.

Before Morrison's JLA, it was pretty much impossible to get the Big 7 of Supes/Bats/WW/Flash/GL/MM/Aquaman together, cuz their modern stories had them doing all sorts of weird shit. Like Superman was dead, or Batman was doing some weird Batman thing, or Aquaman was busy being lame. So Morrision finally got them all together(dont ask me how the guy who wrote Doom Patrol and Animal Man convinced them to give him the biggest title), and the stories are all very plot-based. Its easier when you have all the characters of Doom Patrol and New X-Men on your own to do with what you please, but the JLA is different. He has sharp characterizations of most of the cast('cept Diana, rip), but because most of them having their own ongoings or just randomly disappearing because of events outside his control, Grant focused more of the big threats and what clever/exciting/cool way they take them out. Its fast, its smart, its fun! Its the biggest superheroes facing the biggest tchallenges, and you may not have noticed, but there IS a big connecting idea over the course of the run they've been foreshadowing since Rock of Ages.

MAGEDDON

Happy birthday, Flow. May your day be filled with Library Editions.

You and JC are making me want to start this now. The only "proper" JL comic I've really read is Darkseid War so I've been looking forward to reading this. This has more characters I like such as Plastic Man so I imagine I'll enjoy it.

Quick question, how does the series hold up once Morrison's out of the picture? I figure it at least stays decent through volume 7 with Kelly and Waid writing.

On the topic of creators, I forgot to list artists who I'd blindly buy anything from:
Amanda Conner
Paul Pope
Kyle Baker
Jaime Hernandez
JHW3

In fact, I already kind of do that with them. I bought pretty much every Pope book I have completely blind, and I did the same with Circuit Breaker for Baker. Circuit Breaker was..... not good though.

Did you pre order on amazon? It was listed on amazon for 75 msrp and got solicited at 100 so the amazon price of ~33 was a pretty ridiculous discount

Before Morrison's JLA, it was pretty much impossible to get the Big 7 of Supes/Bats/WW/Flash/GL/MM/Aquaman together, cuz their modern stories had them doing all sorts of weird shit. Like Superman was dead, or Batman was doing some weird Batman thing, or Aquaman was busy being lame. So Morrision finally got them all together(dont ask me how the guy who wrote Doom Patrol and Animal Man convinced them to give him the biggest title), and the stories are all very plot-based. Its easier when you have all the characters of Doom Patrol and New X-Men on your own to do with what you please, but the JLA is different. He has sharp characterizations of most of the cast('cept Diana, rip), but because most of them having their own ongoings or just randomly disappearing because of events outside his control, Grant focused more of the big threats and what clever/exciting/cool way they take them out. Its fast, its smart, its fun! Its the biggest superheroes facing the biggest tchallenges, and you may not have noticed, but there IS a big connecting idea over the course of the run they've been foreshadowing since Rock of Ages.

MAGEDDON

The characterization definitely feels spot-on. You could separate out the speech bubbles from the panels and still be able to tell who said what exactly. I love that the voices are so distinct. Yeah, Mageddon has been looming for a while now since the Wonderland trip. Looking forward to that. Will get to pick up v4 from the library on Tuesday.

btw, really appreciate all the background you are providing. Thanks!

Happy birthday, Flow. May your day be filled with Library Editions.

You and JC are making me want to start this now. The only "proper" JL comic I've really read is Darkseid War so I've been looking forward to reading this. This has more characters I like such as Plastic Man so I imagine I'll enjoy it.

Do it. It is immensely good fun.

For some reason, I thought it was Johns who took over after. If it is Waid and Kelly, I might come back to those later.

VanWinkle

Did you pre order on amazon? It was listed on amazon for 75 msrp and got solicited at 100 so the amazon price of ~33 was a pretty ridiculous discount

Yeah that's the price I got it for. I feel like $100 is pretty darn overpriced for what's solicited as a 704 page omnibus. It's uncharacteristic of DC to overprice their stuff. But at least getting it for $34 makes up for it a bit.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Today I'm working this Memorial Day. The plan is to read Omega Men 1-12. Wish me luck.

Propped up against my monitor.

QqTh1XN.jpg

Is that a 12.9 ipad?

Tempted to get 1 but my android tablet is already 10", cost me £150, not sure 2" is worth the extra £500

Is that a 12.9 ipad?

Tempted to get 1 but my android tablet is already 10", cost me £150, not sure 2" is worth the extra £500

iPad Air 2. I don't even know the size lol. I work at a retail store optical and every time I get our order from the back, I see the iPad Pro in its huge glory and I try to conjur up ways to get rid of mine and get that one as comics would be glorious on it.

frye

Quick question, how does the series hold up once Morrison's out of the picture? I figure it at least stays decent through volume 7 with Kelly and Waid writing.

it's still really good! through Waid and Kelly anyways, don't read anything after under any circumstances.

I have a preference for Morrison's JLA(top 10 favorite run tbh), but its quite good for over a hundred issues, really. Waid has Bryant Hitch on a lot of it because The Authority, and Joe Kelly has fyre's boy Doug Mahnke who draws David Brother's favorite incarnation of Wonder Woman.

But definitely do check them out, as well as JLA Earth 2 and the first three issues of JLA Classified by Morrison/Ed McGuiness. Those two stories are included in the JLA Volume 4 of the series whatsinaname is reading, should be widely available

kmfdmpig

Can you just jump into More Than Meets The Eye without prior reading?

Yes. Knowing a bit about some of the transformers (in my case just remembering some of the names from 25 years ago) helps, but it's not really needed.

Also, I agree with Poodlestrike that the crossovers are mirthless diversions from an otherwise excellent series.

Is there any reason to go iPad Pro 12.9" over a android tablet of the same size?

They don't really have any good Android tablets of that size. Samsung made a few a couple of years ago (one with a stylus, and one without), but they're a bit dated now.

I'd say that if you want to go bigger than 10.5 inches then iPad Pro is the only real logical choice at this point. For me a 10.5 inch Tab S works perfectly though and is very close to the real size of comic pages. With that said, if money were no object I'd get an iPad Pro.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
bit of a weak MU update, well at least in quantity

Venom Space Knight #1
Silk #1
Last Days of Silver Surfer #15
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #2
SHIELD #12
Moon Girl and Devil Dino #1
Howling Commandos #2
Hail Hydra #4 (SW tie ins never die)
Guardians of the Galaxy #2
Groot #6
Darth Vader #13
Chewbacca #4

wait thats actually pretty decent

JTripper

How long was each issue of New Frontier? I'm reading the deluxe edition and there's no issue separation so I can't tell, and the story seems pretty long for just a standard 6 issue mini.

Owzers

Occasional really good panels are not saving Hawkeye Deadpool mini, i finished issue #2 today and the plot is fitting into the "standard comics" stuff, it's just dragging. I've been playing more Mercy lately in Overwatch, when i played in the beta i rarely used the Atk increase ability but now i'm having fun picking and choosing what to do and when. Plus it helps me have another character to play as without having to resort to D.va who is the worst.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Occasional really good panels are not saving Hawkeye Deadpool mini, i finished issue #2 today and the plot is fitting into the "standard comics" stuff, it's just dragging. I've been playing more Mercy lately in Overwatch, when i played in the beta i rarely used the Atk increase ability but now i'm having fun picking and choosing what to do and when. Plus it helps me have another character to play as without having to resort to D.va who is the worst.

theres some cute stuff with Kate and Wade tho

Top Bottom