• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

TheFlow

Banned
GUYS God is good. MY GC omnibus and we stand on guard is being delivered this Friday.

I am about to have 45lbs of hc comics all delivered at once XD. might as well start making room on the shelf

Batman Black & White Statue Robin By Frank Quitely - (DCBS)
STL010738.jpg

Few things,,, I didn't know Patrick Gleason is doing art on Superman (Peter J. Tomasi writing)... guess I'll be checking this out.

I remember hearing something about Snotgirl but no details, thoughts anyone?,, Bryan Lee O'Malley is writing,,

Life's been busy feel I am slowly fading away...(from the comic world anyways)

What's the deal with International Iron Man? Is it just a second book? Dealing with something different or in a different time or something? Was kind of confused by it so just skipped it.

I'm in the Time Runs Out portion of Hickman's run and just discovered the existence of Avengers World... outside of the A.I.M stuff which I'm guessing is expanded on this series is there anything else that makes it a must-read? Because as much as I love this overarching plot I'm fine with Avengers and New Avengers as is lmao.

Hagi

Punisher felt just like an issue of Ennis's run which is cool if that's what you are wanting. Not a very good first issue I think. Black Widow is so good I'm really going to enjoy reading it when it's all collected.

Was thinking of picking up a volume of the Annotated Sandman but its apparently a terrible edition for getting a look into the process or subtext. According to reviews, the notes arent from Gaiman and a lot of them are 'this page was followed by an ad'

Its not like I needed another expensive version of Sandman I guess

I'm in the Time Runs Out portion of Hickman's run and just discovered the existence of Avengers World... outside of the A.I.M stuff which I'm guessing is expanded on this series is there anything else that makes it a must-read? Because as much as I love this overarching plot I'm fine with Avengers and New Avengers as is lmao.
Its mostly just an entertaining side book with nice art that dips in quality about 12 or 15 issues in. I enjoyed it.

Boogiepop

Whooooooa just had my mind blown a little bit. Hope Van Dyne wasnt made up for the Ant Man movie, she actually exists in the comics... in the MC2 universe of all places :eek: She even has the hair like Evangeline Lily had in the movie. Thats pretty cool.

Yup, though a completely different character. IIRC most of her handful of appearances were as an Avengers Next villain or whatever? So yeah, pretty damn obscure character to reference, which is neat.

Punisher felt just like an issue of Ennis's run which is cool if that's what you are wanting. Not a very good first issue I think. Black Widow is so good I'm really going to enjoy reading it when it's all collected.

Definitely felt like it was aping Ennis' style. I'll keep reading to see if Cloonan can push the character in new directions.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Pfft fc is easy to figure out mate
I mean this is 2016
Morrison's writing would be easy to figure out right now

Go for it.

My CBR reviews were extensive and likely helpful.

As long as you make sure you get the two Superman issues that actually explain what the fuck's going on you'll be fine.
Its more the status quo and the minor charachter who I dont know who make me afraid. Starting with a Crisis is a little bit rough, isnt it?

Its more the status quo and the minor charachter who I dont know who make me afraid. Starting with a Crisis is a little bit rough, isnt it?

Just try to endure the Mandrakk bits, which are very well and good in a metatextual sense but pretty damn hard to actually read. The other plot is reasonably straightforward.

Tizoc

The status quo is forever changing in comics mate that isnt anything new
Fc is still a good book that u should read for what it is not what dc had done after it ended

Careful, you're praising a Valiant artist.

Sorry, I accidentally hit submit before I was done typing. I meant to say that the art was fantastic considering that it was by a guy who moved on to draw such boring and uninteresting characters.

Real talk tho, when does the second Madame Mirage trade come out? I still haven't read the first one but I figure I'll get vol.2 and then read it all in one go.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The status quo is forever changing in comics mate that isnt anything new
Fc is still a good book that u should read for what it is not what dc had done after it ended
Its more what comes before but I guess with the help of you guys I will solve that problem^^

I wasn't totally cool on his art at first, because I thought his proportions on some characters were really weird, but it's really grown on me now.

He draws Eternal Warrior slimmer than I've seen him, so I kind of understand lol

Sorry, I accidentally hit submit before I was done typing. I meant to say that the art was fantastic considering that it was by a guy who moved on to draw such boring and uninteresting characters.

Real talk tho, when does the second Madame Mirage trade come out? I still haven't read the first one but I figure I'll get vol.2 and then read it all in one go.

In the next few weeks, it looks like
Dr. Mirage btw, in case that wasn't done on purpose

Tizoc

Its more what comes before but I guess with the help of you guys I will solve that problem^^
Bruv
Sometimes it helps to go in blind
U think i knew anything about 80s jl when i randomly picked up 'formerly known as the justice league'? Book became one of my fav series ever

Owzers

In celebration of our new Trump overlord i'm giving up digital comics today in favor of tackling the paper madness.

Goal: Read 10 issues of Black Science.

Also, i thought it was going to be Bush/Clinton...it's even worse.

Hagi

Final Crisis was the first DC event I ever read and the only books from them I had read before were Dark Knight Returns and I think Year One. You'll be fine.

Pretty light week for me, but all pretty good.

Rankings:

Midnighter
Sheriff of Babylon
Bombshells
Batman/Superman

Batman/Superman is at the bottom, but that's more about the other books. Very entertaining read. Great Ten put up an impressive performance, hoping they factor in to New Superman (though I can't imagine they won't).

Bombshells was actually kind of dark, looking at Zatanna's time with Joker's Daughter. I'm going to have to sit down and reread things, because I'm really not at all certain how this factors into the timeline, what with Constantine's state.

Sheriff of Babylon continues to look at America's role in Iraq in really interesting ways.

Midnighter, though, Midnighter was far from the rest of the pack. This issue just had a ton of heart. The series as a whole has served as a huge rehabilitation of my opinion of the character, and this sort of served as the cherry on top. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

Midnighter, though, Midnighter was far from the rest of the pack. This issue just had a ton of heart. The series as a whole has served as a huge rehabilitation of my opinion of the character, and this sort of served as the cherry on top. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

Good to hear, looking forward to reading this later. I haven't been so into the second arc as much of the first. I've also kind of liked Midnighter more in his interactions with Grayson which kind of makes me just want them as a team up book at this point.

Pretty light week for me, but all pretty good.

Rankings:

Midnighter
Sheriff of Babylon
Bombshells
Batman/Superman

Batman/Superman is at the bottom, but that's more about the other books. Very entertaining read. Great Ten put up an impressive performance, hoping they factor in to New Superman (though I can't imagine they won't).

Bombshells was actually kind of dark, looking at Zatanna's time with Joker's Daughter. I'm going to have to sit down and reread things, because I'm really not at all certain how this factors into the timeline, what with Constantine's state.

Sheriff of Babylon continues to look at America's role in Iraq in really interesting ways.

Poodle!

Arf arf arf! Arf!*

*Welcome back, pupper.

Top Bottom