• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Mifune

Mehmber
What are people's thoughts on the Fraction/Larroca run of Invincible Iron Man? I know it's hugely acclaimed but it's not doing much for me. Too long and drawn out with some really dull character writing. Art is nice though.

What are people's thoughts on the Fraction/Larroca run of Invincible Iron Man? I know it's hugely acclaimed but it's not doing much for me. Too long and drawn out with some really dull character writing. Art is nice though.

I thought it was just okay. I agree it's overrated. It doesn't really get better either so if you're not enjoying it now you may as well ditch it.

Mifune

Mehmber
I thought it was just okay. I agree it's overrated. It doesn't really get better either so if you're not enjoying it now you may as well ditch it.

I'm giving it one more issue, which will be the end of the current arc, 33 issues in. I think that's enough to say I gave it a fair shot.

Messi

A-Force was great, made me excited about the anad book. The artist was fantastic, but that seems to be a thing with most SW tie ins. Making some good progress on the tie ins now, not many left.

He was amazing on art for the tie in and a little bit less so in the ANAD book but still good. That SW book comes to a great end imo. Today was the first issue without him. Ben Caldwell of Prez is now doing the art. It looks different but still good. Kelly Thompson from Jem is now writing the book solo after first Margurite Bennett left after SW and then G Willow Wilson left after last issue (she was co writing with Kelly)

I will say, while I still like the book and really liked todays issue. Something is different and I like it less than the secret wars book. I think it was what Bennett was bringing to the book, the heart is different. Bennett knows how to write an emotional book and alot of A-Force is about emotions and heart. Singularity and Nico especially.

frye

yeah, i've been finding a bunch of cool shit lately. I bought a few Sienkewicz The Shadow comics there the other day as well, just missing the #1. also a random issue of Nexus, and an issue of Batman: 10 Nights of the Beast which I think hasn't been collected

yeaaa finding stuff you've heard of on the cheap is really fun but so is coming across stuff that just looks dope

i don't think these comics were ever "hugely acclaimed" tbh? the only thing of note is that it's them doing something like 60 issues of comics together and also that one annual where they make the mandarin a lil bit less racist, which is all right i guess

Mifune

Mehmber
i don't think these comics were ever "hugely acclaimed" tbh? the only thing of note is that it's them doing something like 60 issues of comics together and also that one annual where they make the mandarin a lil bit less racist, which is all right i guess

If winning an Eisner doesn't equal hugely acclaimed I don't know what does. Plus I've heard multiple creators and writers talk that run up like it's Morrison's JLA or something.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So the artist from SW Infinity Gauntlet is the new artist on Uncanny X-men? Im not religious but this might be proof of divine intervention

Nudull

Banned
When was the last time we had a good Iron Man run? Gillen's run felt like an eternity of botched writing, and I've barely heard anyone talk about Bendis' run.

When was the last time we had a good Iron Man run? Gillen's run felt like an eternity of botched writing, and I've barely heard anyone talk about Bendis' run.

Then you haven't been paying attention. Several of us have been raving about it.

It's shaping up to be a classic run.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

You barely hear anyone talk about the Bendis run... do you mean the current one where everyone on gaf goes bananas for?

Rightfully so btw its amazing and every issue it baffles me that its a Bendis book

frye

If winning an Eisner doesn't equal hugely acclaimed I don't know what does. Plus I've heard multiple creators and writers talk that run up like it's Morrison's JLA or something.

ah yea, i was gonna mention that Eisner, but i got it confused with Iron Fist which was only nominated. but like, in terms of "talk," i don't think there's ever been a huge audience that went to bat for that comic, even as it was coming out -- definitely not in the same way you had people rep for the aforementioned Iron Fist, or idk, Hawkeye or Uncanny X-Force or w/e

Mifune

Mehmber
ah yea, i was gonna mention that Eisner, but i got it confused with Iron Fist which was only nominated. but like, in terms of "talk," i don't think there's ever been a huge audience that went to bat for that comic, even as it was coming out -- definitely not in the same way you had people rep for the aforementioned Iron Fist, or idk, Hawkeye or Uncanny X-Force or w/e

Yeah, it's definitely a weird case. Almost seems like the hype was manufactured by the industry but most readers didn't really buy in. But then I see people like Ta-Nehisi Coates raving about that series, and I don't get it. It seems very by-the-book and safe to me, even though it teases more provocative ideas.

Messi

Large majority of us are enjoying the current run and have been talking about it.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
So the artist from SW Infinity Gauntlet is the new artist on Uncanny X-men? Im not religious but this might be proof of divine intervention

Wait.... Dustin Weaver is gonna be on Uncanny X-Men now? Yeeessssssssss

Going from Greg Land to Dustin Weaver is like watching a pile of shit turn into a stack of gold bricks

Divine intervention indeed

That's great news.

I still don't like the roster of that team though. Villain teams work best when they use obscure fringe type characters. Plus the movies have just run Mystique and Magneto into the ground for me.

That's great news.

I still don't like the roster of that team though. Villain teams work best when they use obscure fringe type characters. Plus the movies have just run Mystique and Magneto into the ground for me.

It's kind of a weird lineup but I wouldn't describe it as a "villain team." Psylocke, M and Archangel aren't villains, Sabretooth is a good guy now too. Magneto is in full antihero mode, he's the only one you could really describe as a villain.

Hey now... hey...

Its true :(

I wasn't expressing disbelief, I was expressing elation!

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
It's kind of a weird lineup but I wouldn't describe it as a "villain team." Psylocke, M and Archangel aren't villains, Sabretooth is a good guy now too. Magneto is in full antihero mode, he's the only one you could really describe as a villain.

I wasn't expressing disbelief, I was expressing elation!

They might not be villains at the moment but they should be.

At the very least they need to add Blink so she can follow Sabertooth around calling him Mr Creed.

its never great, but I checked it out every month anyway. Its kinda like a TV show, you check in on the characters every now and again to see what wacky thing they're up to, even if not a lot happens issue to issue.

I like Fraction's characterization, and Larroca's art when they're in suits(outside, not so much). I feel like he basically did all the Iron Man stories anybody could ever do: What if Tony armor gets in the wrong hands, what if Tony's company/mind/wealth is destroyed, what if Tony had to build up his company vs a rival organization, what if Tony started drinking again, what if he and Pepper hooked up again, what if he and Rhodes were like BFF, what if Stane and the Mandarin teamed up and it was Armor Wars 3...

Welp. Guess I'm buying Overwatch. I still don't really know what I'm doing objective-wise, but I kind of love this game and I don't really like online shooters. I only tried a few characters so far, but I'm really digging Pharah.

Cheers, love!

and then??

Boy, let me tell you. You aint lived until you've read Broadway Comics. Broadway Comics was the the second comic company that Shooter drove into the ground after he got kicked out of 90s Valiant
Luin4UP.jpg

FafwuqD.png

Oi7epwL.png

frye

Boy, let me tell you. You aint lived until you've read Broadway Comics. Broadway Comics was the the second comic company that Shooter drove into the ground after he got kicked out of 90s Valiant

huh, never heard of this before, lemme wiki this shit real quick

Broadway Comics was a short-lived comic book publishing company started by Jim Shooter in 1995, after his former company, Defiant Comics, had folded.[2] The company was a division of Broadway Video Entertainment with Shooter as co-owner of the characters.

the third company

duckroll

Oh hey, new thread. Hi!

My Fatale HCs still haven't arrived. Free shipping is suffering. Hope it gets here by Friday at least!

Top Bottom