• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Queen of Hel #1 didnt do much for me but I loved 1602 Witch Hunter. Im weird :/

You got something against booty?
I demand a high level of aptitude and respect of the subject matter if you're gonna draw booty

huh, never heard of this before, lemme wiki this shit real quick

the third company
I hang my head in shame.

on the other hand, bargain bin hunting got me Wendy Whitebread the Undercover Slut and Tales to Thrizzle so you know
its a mixed bag

dont google wendy whitebread at work btw

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I was pretty down on Ghost Racers but any series with a ghost rider who is a t-rex that rides a fighter jet like its a green goblin glider is alright in my book :3

mreddie

Upcoming Hellcat with Bee and Puppycat creator.

572a649fe3617.jpg

Rhaknar

Upcoming Hellcat with Bee and Puppycat creator.

572a649fe3617.jpg

Amazing :eek:

What the fuck was the ending to Years of Future Past #5. What a shit tie in, easily one of the worst (and Im an X-Men fanboy)

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Pretty much, but most of them are better than Fatale.

It's not really a question of quality. It's a question of tone. Even though most of the Image books I read are hardly comedies they still have some levity I them to balance out the serious parts of the books. I'm just not into stories that are 100% grim all the time.

duckroll

It's not really a question of quality. It's a question of tone. Even though most of the Image books I read are hardly comedies they still have some levity I them to balance out the serious parts of the books. I'm just not into stories that are 100% grim all the time.

Brubaker stories aren't grim though. They're certainly serious, but the tone you speak of is more of a noir thing. Brubaker simply cannot write a story without turning it into noir or pseudo-noir. Regardless of the material. It's pretty funny, but it's a trait which I love because it's such a neat personal style. I think his writing has quite a bit of humor in it too, but it's usually in a dry sarcastic way. Characters don't joke much, but sometimes the joke is on them.

Even when Brubaker wrote Books of Doom, it turned into a pseudo-noir tale with Doom as an unreliable narrator!

Messi

Amazing :eek:

What the fuck was the ending to Years of Future Past #5. What a shit tie in, easily one of the worst (and Im an X-Men fanboy)

The X-Men were a mistake, nothing but trash.

Brubaker stories aren't grim though. They're certainly serious, but the tone you speak of is more of a noir thing. Brubaker simply cannot write a story without turning it into noir or pseudo-noir. Regardless of the material. It's pretty funny, but it's a trait which I love because it's such a neat personal style. I think his writing has quite a bit of humor in it too, but it's usually in a dry sarcastic way. Characters don't joke much, but sometimes the joke is on them.

Even when Brubaker wrote Books of Doom, it turned into a pseudo-noir tale with Doom as an unreliable narrator!

I would very much agree with this.

Nudull

Banned

I wish more people talked about Books of Doom. That book was awesome.

So the Chinese Superman debuted in today's Batman/Superman #32. That was about the only interesting thing that happened in this issue.

Boogiepop

Okay, talking comixology sales again, was Nailbiter a thing that was well liked? I've definitely seen it mentioned in here, but I can't recall if it was particularly positive comments or not.

Also... wasn't there a Star Wars sale that was more than just 1st issues? Did that disappear into the void already?

Oh, and dare I ask... anything that's a must have from the IDW originals sale?

So the Chinese Superman debuted in today's Batman/Superman #32. That was about the only interesting thing that happened in this issue.

Oh, was that him? The shape of the symbol was similar, but the colors are swapped, so I'm not sure.

But yeah, it was kind of a slow issue. The Great 10 fight was pretty good, though.

Okay, talking comixology sales again, was Nailbiter a thing that was well liked? I've definitely seen it mentioned in here, but I can't recall if it was particularly positive comments or not.

Also... wasn't there a Star Wars sale that was more than just 1st issues? Did that disappear into the void already?

I've enjoyed nailbiter. Not my favorite image book. But the overall mystery is interesting from what I've read so far.

And yea the SW sale was a one day deal and it's gone

TheFlow

Banned

First volume of Parker is a great deal. I would normally suggest you get the physical version to appreciate the art but 4 bucks is a steal.

Essex county- lemieres master piece and best original work

From hell- alan Moore

Boogiepop

I've enjoyed nailbiter. Not my favorite image book. But the overall mystery is interesting from what I've read so far.

And yea the SW sale was a one day deal and it's gone

Damn, I really need to get myself out of the mindset of doing this stuff "at the end of the day" because that's the second time I've been screwed over by (presumably) the difference between PST and EST. The day hasn't ended for me, and yet the sale is gone. :(

Bargain bins are pretty cool until you're like yeah I guess Ill read this Jim Shooter JG Jones book 'Fatale' how bad could it be
i'm like 70% sure i saw this in there too
Boy, let me tell you. You aint lived until you've read Broadway Comics. Broadway Comics was the the second comic company that Shooter drove into the ground after he got kicked out of 90s Valiant
getting kicked out valiant

in 1992

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Yeah I'd put it in the top half of the Image titles I'm reading but it would be just outside the Top 10.

I just read the new issue and it was pretty damed good

Biggest selling point though? Brian Michael Bendis himself shows up as a character in the book during the second arc.

Owzers

I liked the first trade of Nailbiter a lot but then i heard it kinda went down a bit in quality so i bought paints instead.

Also, i read more comics than everyone here today combined: 4. That's a lot of comics, almost a trade, i could have died but i kept going.

Read through issue 14 of Black Science in my catch-up mode, it's still kinda iffy but entertaining enough i don't regret owning the rest, but i'm glad i didn't buy the OHC blindly despite having the flops. Maybe Team Nate?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I liked the first trade of Nailbiter a lot but then i heard it kinda went down a bit in quality so i bought paints instead.

A little bit. It was more of a world building arc and didn't move the story along much. 3rd arc was as good or better than the 1st arc though and now the 4th arc has started off nicely.

george_us

Finished off Invincible Compendium #1 and started Descender today. Octoboss is my favorite Invincible villain. Dude cracks me up. "Fire Phasers" also might be my favorite moment up to this point. Descender has some INCREDIBLE art. Gives Low a run for its money.

A-Force was adorable this week, and Ben Caldwell's art is perfect. Though he does draw Captain Marvel's face as if she were a 40 year-old dude.

Unfollow was really good, too. I wish Marguerite Sauvage was the regular artist. Her style really fits with the book.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Unfollow was really good, too. I wish Marguerite Sauvage was the regular artist. Her style really fits with the book.

I saw the preview of her art for the new Scarlet Witch, it looked great. Story still seemed kind of meh, though.

Also Invincible Iron Man is kind of losing me. The story seems to have stalled, and the Deodato is such a step down from Marquez.

Man, just reading the first page and a half of the prologue to Sinestro Corps War gets me hyped. Geoff Johns is an excellent writer.

Um. That's a very naked Sinestro. :|

Sinestro Corps War was probably the strongest part of the Johns run. It was exciting and the scope of the event was just right (I'm looking at you, Blackest Night).

ElNarez

Banned
I just realized Punisher #1 ends on a reveal that tries to one-up the new 52 Detective Comics #1, and, holy fuck, that's not a connection anyone should make.

Like, really? ANOTHER guy who takes peoples' faces? For real that's what you wanna do?

frye

I just realized Punisher #1 ends on a reveal that tries to one-up the new 52 Detective Comics #1, and, holy fuck, that's not a connection anyone should make.

Like, really? ANOTHER guy who takes peoples' faces? For real that's what you wanna do?

did this guy also have an orgasm

duckroll

Can someone tell me about Hickman's Image stuff like East of West and Manhattan Projects? What are they like? They seem long and unfinished, so it's intimidating to get into, but I'm curious how they differ from his Marvel work.

Owzers

Can someone tell me about Hickman's Image stuff like East of West and Manhattan Projects? What are they like? They seem long and unfinished, so it's intimidating to get into, but I'm curious how they differ from his Marvel work.

Manhattan Projects is Science Hijinks and is mostly concluded with the two main deluxe hardcovers. Hickman started off on continuation miniseries but that seems to have fizzled out after one, "The Sun Beyond the Stars". East of West is faction scheming along with the four horsemen of the apocalypse, it gets a little weird at the start but i'm quite fond of it overall. I safely put both in the must-read category.

Ok EAST OF WEST

Let me tell you about my FAVORITE Hickman book

It is an incredibly complex and detailed far-future Weird Western epic about the apocalypse. It has a huge number of moving parts and I'm glad the first year HC is out there now because I'm sure it's easier to follow when you can just sit down and read all the early stuff, otherwise intimidating would be the right word for it. There is a supplementary guide available as well with additional details on just about everything, I highly recommend picking that up (assuming it's not folded into the HC, you might want to check before you buy it).

Anyway, what makes East of West so rad is the amount of work Hickman put into worldbuilding. It's probably one of the best examples of fantasy worldbuilding I've ever read. The USA has been divided into seven nations, each controlled - or manipulated from the shadows - by a member of a powerful apocalypse cult that serves the four horsemen of Revelation: Death, War, Famine and Conquest (the central antagonists...and the protagonist). Each nation is totally unique and each has its own cast of characters and machinations to follow, though in the end this is really the story of Death, in the lone stranger role, on a quest to save his son.

And to top it all off, every single issue is stunning. Eye-popping art from cover to cover, every time. I can't recommend this book enough, especially if you like Weird West settings.

edit: The guide is called The World. I would read it after you finish year one.

Rhaknar

New 52? Preacher was doing that a decade ago son

Man I need to re-read Preacher, used to be a yearly ritual for me. That and watching the X-Files, and I havent done either in years :(

A-Force #5
The art change was jarring, but very much welcome. Really enjoying it, and it helps to better accentuate the chemistry between the characters. That said, I still feel this book is missing something that the SW series had, and I think that element is...hype. I know it sounds utterly stupid and painfully subjective and hollow, but the SW got me excited because everyone felt so kickass and awesome. This book doesn't have that, and when it tries to it goes to the cutesy zone and immediately loses it, "Medusa your hair is so cool!" "Oh Dazzler, your lights are so cool!" "Oh Nico, your magic is the illest!" "Oh Carol, you do do cool things I guess!" "Oh Singularity, you're so cute and stuff!" "She-Hulk is totes strong and green!" And the plot doesn't hold me enough to help make those badass moments feel as big and bold as they should. The art really helps, but the moment itself lacks what I need from it to feel excited. It just...I want to like this book so much, but it's getting harder and harder to do it.

Invincible Iron Man #9
Oh wow, a whole issue where they don't do anything inside an armor. Awesome. Actually makes the characters feel badass on their own. Also that Friday sass and Doom being a good guy. Good issue.

Sam Wilson Captain America #9
This book is still just good. Plot and characters are still compelling. Now let's get some action up in this beeyotch! I need some sick in flight shield passing!

All-New Inhumans #7
More Inhumans lore! Fucking yes! Also, Ana very much lives up to her namesake by being a fucking hoss. Let's do this shit.

Moon Knight #2
WE GOT OLD ONES IN SPACE PYRAMIDS
s3ou1t.gif

The New Avengers #11
tumblr_nlh3olZjyb1qlqsnio1_500-1430494442.gif

X-Men '92 #3
When's Blade tho?

Uncanny X-Men #7
And the plot has now become genuinely compelling. Apparently the change in artist helped to affect the plot as well.

Thunderbolts #1
903.gif

Midnighter #12
And now another book ends. This was an awesome book. Great art, great action, great characters, great plot, and a fantastic ending. I'm upset to see that this won't continue, because it was one that I got excited for with each month. Genuinely one of my favorite ongoings at the time, and my favorite DC ongoing. Alas poor Midnighter, I knew him.

Cry Havoc #3 & #4
I honest to god have no idea what this book is. Like, I'm compelled to read it, but I have no idea what the fuck will come next and that uncertainty leaves a rather ominous presence with it. Like, what the fuck is this book? Yes, I know that's two whole issues, and yes, that is all I have to say. What. The. Fuck?

Uncanny X-Men Annual #1
So since the trades (which I have all of) lack the annuals, I decided to track the first one down, containing part one of the Eva Bell time travel plotline that the trades so unceremoniously skipped. This story really cements Eva as one of the best additions to the X-Men roster, and I'm really compelled by her personal story. Bless Sorrentino and Bendis for doing the lord's work on this day. Now I have to snag the All-New side of the story...

duckroll

When is East of West slated to be completed? It sounds rad.

Before or after Marvel finally ships the end of SHIELD? :p

Rhaknar

I cant tell if that gif for Thunderbolts is supposed to be positive or not

Top Bottom