• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

duckroll

I don't see it ending anytime soon, honestly

How is the story broken up in that case? Like, would you recommend the hardcover out now if I'm looking for a satisfying read that is at least somewhat self contained? Is there a full story arc that's complete at this point or is it an ongoing epic?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Almost done with SW tie ins

House of M #4 - well that was shit. And utterly pointless as in the end nothing changed lol.

Age of Apocalypse #4-5 - Book lost me when Sandoval left. Fucking Jean to the rescue hooray >_>

X-Tinction Agenda #4 - I dont care about anything going on in this book.

Civil War #5 - even if I liked the
secret invasion
angle from last issue, I feel like this mini lost steam ages ago. Shame because it had a great start.

Secret Wars Journal #4-5 - this continues to be great until the end, and the short story format from various domains of battleworld works great. Hell I would read a ongoing of that. Theres a fucked up night nurse story and a super cute story with what I can only describe as "the adventures of a PR doombot"

Spider-Verse #4-5 - this was a strange book, with strange art, that mainly served to set up web warriors, so I guess in that sense it succeeded. It feels like nothing happens in it, I can't explain it, I don't even think its bad per se. Spider Ham was funny at least.

E For Extinction #3-4 - yo this book man. One of the best tie ins in my opinion of which is basically a parody of Morrison's New X-Men, down to the Quitely-like art. I love how they wrote it like that because if they played it straight they could never replicate Morrison's style. "Aw Jeanie" indeed Logan.

Also, i read more comics than everyone here today combined: 4. That's a lot of comics, almost a trade, i could have died but i kept going.

Comics are always the wrong decision.

I'm about twenty issues into the Morrison run on Batman. It's great, but in that Morrison WTFISHEDOING sort of way. Guy is crazy.

How is the story broken up in that case? Like, would you recommend the hardcover out now if I'm looking for a satisfying read that is at least somewhat self contained? Is there a full story arc that's complete at this point or is it an ongoing epic?

It's an ongoing thing, comparable to Saga. As much as I love East of West I can't recommend it as a self contained story at all. Each arc (year one comprises the first three) explores different themes and is somewhat self-contained as many other Image books are. But unlike other Image books, there is a grand overarching narrative at play in East of West that has me constantly revisiting old volumes to refresh my memory on characters and settings the book hasn't touched on in awhile. It's epic in every sense, for good or ill.

VanWinkle

Comics are always the wrong decision.

I'm about twenty issues into the Morrison run on Batman. It's great, but in that Morrison WTFISHEDOING sort of way. Guy is crazy.

I surprisingly didn't love the Morrison Batman run. I just generally prefer more straightforward storytelling. I respect the guy, and he's written some stuff I love, but I don't LOVE his style.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Someone give Duckroll some cape books, all he reads is hipster stuff damn it!

Someone give Duckroll some cape books, all he reads is hipster stuff damn it!

IySbePW.jpg

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I think it looks great, but again, it's one of those ongoing things which are still... ongoing, so I don't know if I want to start. :(

Fair enough. If you're looking for something that is close to finishing then might I suggest Chew or Revival. Both are ending this year and both have managed to maintain their quality throughout their respective runs.

MartyStu

Captain America

I take back everything I have said about Steve coming back. The writers are doing a very good job making his return MEAN something.

Rhaknar

Hickman rankings are like Souls games rankings

its all still better than most other shit out there

Rhaknar

Lots of standout moments which ultimately amounted to nothing. Disappointing considering what a planner Hickman is. Clearly his focus was on New Avengers and Secret Wars.

It established Bobby DaCosta as the goat mutant tho

Zombine

Banned
Read Walking Dead last night:

Aaron isn't dead, but that's a nice fake out though. Negan continues to be the baddest mother in this book, and the new mid-card bad guy is legit. I wonder what wrestler will play him in the show?

Civil War is going to get me through my work day! Can't wait until tonight!

Edit:

Holy shit guys it's 6:13 and I can't even function. I need this movie right now.

Top Bottom