• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Jetman

Got a potentially stupid question for Comics GAF. Those of you who went digital, are there any space requirements on your tablet/PC for books? You aren't downloading them just "using" and viewing them, correct? Wasn't 100% sure, getting a tablet soon, wanted to go digital, and didn't know if I should be getting a one of a certain size to support digital purchases.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I only thought that two X-Books in Secret Wars were good.

Which 2?

Got a potentially stupid question for Comics GAF. Those of you who went digital, are there any space requirements on your tablet/PC for books? You aren't downloading them just "using" and viewing them, correct? Wasn't 100% sure, getting a tablet soon, wanted to go digital, and didn't know if I should be getting a one of a certain size to support digital purchases.

You are definitely downloading them and they will eat your space pretty quickly. Most new issues on Comixology seem to be between 40-60 mb. When I was reading AoA issue a couple of months ago those were generally 15-20mb apiece.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

You do download them, but there's no reason to keep all that many on at one time. I only keep ones that I'm about to read, or things that I know I'm going to reread. Space isn't too huge of an issue.

Most people will tell you to go as big as your budget supports. I went with the cheapest iPad Air 2 and I can keep the last 3-5 issues of every series I read plus have some trades. I don't have any music, videos, and only one game.

tim1138

If you're buying on Comixology and reading on a tablet, you're definitely downloading the books. One of the settings in the app lets you set a hard limit for the amount of comics you can have stored on your device (500mb, 1 gig, or unlimited). Obviously the more available memory available the better, but there's also no reason to store your entire library on your device at any given time. You can delete and re-download purchases as many times as you like.

You do download them, actually. If you go too small you will eventually run into space issues if you like having a good number of comics available to read at all times.

I just checked my Kindle Fire HDX and I'm using 4.47 GB for comics at the moment. That's for 95 single issues and 1 collection.

Jetman

Oh, wow! Ok, thanks for the replies!
Before asking here, I looked around a little bit, and didn't see any websites mention size/space as a 'negative' to going digital so made an assumption that you were potentially not downloading them. Guess, I'll just get the biggest one my wallet can handle.

Before asking here, I looked around a little bit, and didn't see any websites mention size/space as a 'negative' to going digital so made an assumption that you were potentially not downloading them. Guess, I'll just get the biggest one my wallet can handle.

Don't worry about it too much. One of the great things about comixology is your cloud collection is really well organized, so it's always easy to find the books you'd like to re-download. I love it.

Jetman

Don't worry about it too much. One of the great things about comixology is your cloud collection is really well organized, so it's always easy to find the books you'd like to re-download. I love it.

Right on! That was going to be my next question. Was unsure how it was possible to keep track of issues I buy, but am forced to delete for any reason.
Guess, I'll take the leap to digital. I feel bad for my LCS, But just running out of physical space for these, and they can be a bitch to store and move.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

If you are going to be using Marvel Unlimited, I'm pretty sure those are more or less Streaming. I don't think there's any actual downloading.

Messi

Right on! That was going to be my next question. Was unsure how it was possible to keep track of issues I buy, but am forced to delete for any reason.
Guess, I'll take the leap to digital. I feel bad for my LCS, But just running out of physical space for these, and they can be a bitch to store and move.

Comixology stores them as downloaded and deleted. Read and unread. It's really easy to see what you own.

tim1138

Digital is so awesome. Comics look better and it's a million times easier to manage your collection. Print single issues are the worst.

Digital is so awesome. Comics look better and it's a million times easier to manage your collection. Print single issues are the worst.

Not sure if you're being serious, but that is my exact opinion on the matter. Everything pops in digital. I really only purchase trades of stuff my wife wants to read as well, or I'll loan out to people in the future. Have the entire collection of Y: The Last Man, Saga, and Fables, for instance.

Not sure if you're being serious, but that is my exact opinion on the matter. Everything pops in digital. I really only purchase trades of stuff my wife wants to read as well, or I'll loan out to people in the future. Have the entire collection of Y: The Last Man, Saga, and Fables, for instance.

Tim is always serious

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

I just loaned my friend my old iPad, because I'd run out of physical books to lend to him. Digital is just so much more convenient.

Though I am planning on picking some stuff up this weekend for Free Comic Book Day.

tim1138

I was being 100% serious, I on occasion will double dip on print collections or omnibi, but 95% of my purchases are digital. I dunno how I ever dealt with floppies in the past.

Yeah, they don't even make good toilet paper.

Isn't that what Marvel books are basically printed on these days?

shingi70

Banned
I was being 100% serious, I on occasion will double dip on print collections or omnibi, but 95% of my purchases are digital. I dunno how I ever dealt with floppies in the past.

Isn't that what Marvel books are basically printed on these days?

Marvel books chaff pretty badly.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
1872 #2 - what the fuck they just
killed Rogers and fed his still breathing body to pigs
o_O This book is fucked up lol

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
1872 #3 - oh shit "
you shouldn't have put a target on your forehead
" LOL

Rhaknar

1872 was awesome, based Duggan putting in work

Why does IST hate me? Uncanny X-Men Omnibus AND Abnett and Lanning's Guardians Omnibus both 50% off? Deal of the century!

My billing address is invalid.

wat

Rhaknar

Secret Wars Agents of Atlas #1 (one shot) was pretty cool, and it made me want to read the original run, so missiom a acomplished, but it does feel weird why it even exists. Are they putting out a new Agents of Atlas?

Zombine

Banned
Saw Civil War. It was the best Marvel Film.

Some guy liked my T-Shirt. Some guy tried to be my friend and talk to me about the old Star Wars EU.

Overall it was an amazing Thursday night and there wasn't even any beer involved.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Civil War.

Holy fucking shit.

Saw Civil War. It was the best Marvel Film.

Some guy liked my T-Shirt. Some guy tried to be my friend and talk to me about the old Star Wars EU.

Overall it was an amazing Thursday night and there wasn't even any beer involved.

I'm heading to the theater in a bit. Stupid friends that can't get to the movies until 10:30!

I seriously looked into getting a ticket for an earlier show and meeting them for the later one, but the time didn't work out.

Zombine

Banned
I'm heading to the theater in a bit. Stupid friends that can't get to the movies until 10:30!

I seriously looked into getting a ticket for an earlier show and meeting them for the later one, but the time didn't work out.

I don't do late movies well. I always fall asleep lol

Boogiepop

Valiant is launching a new book in August titled 4001 AD War Mother. Looks pretty cool and is spinning out of the 4001 AD event that started this week. It's from Fred Van Lente and Thomas Giorello.

Unlike Valiant’s other heroes, War Mother’s home is in the future of the fifth millennium, where much of Earth is an apocalyptic wasteland under the watchful gaze of New Japan, a highly advanced and powerful civilization floating around in orbit.

niogbgcerwg74thbg49t-600x923.png

She seems like a replacment for Turok in the same way Divinty seems like a Solar replacement.

...I did not realize until this post that Turok was a comic and not a videogame original property, apparently. I have learned a thing today.

TheFlow

Banned
Gotta wait a couple of days to see Civil war. GF is going out of town and we always watch these type of movies together.

Top Bottom