• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Starlord & Kitty was pretty trash but gosh that disney-esque art sure was pretty

TheFlow

Banned
Not only is this a good cover but the inside preview is good shit. Avengers fighting while Vision and Wanda makeout is hilarious
5190694-0+vision2015007_dc11-0.jpg

...I did not realize until this post that Turok was a comic and not a videogame original property, apparently. I have learned a thing today.

He was a Gold Key character, then he came over to Valiant, then Acclaim when Valiant went under, then Dark Horse, and now he's at Dynamite. He was a big part of Valiant, along with Doctor Solar and Magnus Robot Hunter, so Valiant got to sort of replacing those characters with Divinity (for Solar) and now this for Turok.

duckroll

So you wanna know about the Manhattan Projects, eh? Lucky for you I wrote this insanely long post about the series two years ago!

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=102731324

Since then the main series has ended and a miniseries was announced and then subsequently sent to die with very little fanfare (I never thought it was possible for a double sized six month late issue to feel rushed, but here we are!). The main series is 25 issues long and is covered by 5 tpbs, the Sun Beyond the Stars miniseries was 4 issues long and is in vol 6. There are two deluxe hardcover releases that oddly only cover the first issue 20 issues of the original series, the theoretical third volume should cover the final 5 of the original and 4 of Sun Beyond the Stars.

The Manhattan Projects is not only my favorite Hickman book of all time, but is one of my favorite comics of all time. The first 25 issues is just incredible alt history comic booking, the Sun Beyond the Stars had a lot of potential but just fizzled out and it really bummed me out.

So long story short, read the Manhattan Projects, it's fantastic.

Thanks. Sucks to hear that the mini didn't turn out well, but I'll definitely put the main series on my list. The way the hardcovers are divided sounds really lame though. I guess I'll pick up the singles digitally instead when I want to read it. :(

I'm buying my first comics ever this weekend and I'm just a tad bit overwhelmed of all the choices, excited for it regardless, looking at picking up Saga, Punisher and Moon Knight.

TheFlow

Banned
Thanks. Sucks to hear that the mini didn't turn out well, but I'll definitely put the main series on my list. The way the hardcovers are divided sounds really lame though. I guess I'll pick up the singles digitally instead when I want to read it. :(

no lie.

Why the fuck do you make a Deluxe edition that includes 10 each of a 25 issue series.

If Fatale and Hawkeye can do it in 2 books why can't this?

Valiant is launching a new book in August titled 4001 AD War Mother. Looks pretty cool and is spinning out of the 4001 AD event that started this week. It's from Fred Van Lente and Thomas Giorello.

Unlike Valiant’s other heroes, War Mother’s home is in the future of the fifth millennium, where much of Earth is an apocalyptic wasteland under the watchful gaze of New Japan, a highly advanced and powerful civilization floating around in orbit.

niogbgcerwg74thbg49t-600x923.png

She seems like a replacment for Turok in the same way Divinty seems like a Solar replacement.

Also, this looks to be her in Book of Death. Only character that kind of matches her.

DKdLKc3.png

Boogiepop

He was a Gold Key character, then he came over to Valiant, then Acclaim when Valiant went under, then Dark Horse, and now he's at Dynamite. He was a big part of Valiant, along with Doctor Solar and Magnus Robot Hunter, so Valiant got to sort of replacing those characters with Divinity (for Solar) and now this for Turok.

And now I've learned more things! (Thanks, definitely interesting to learn about what sounds like some pretty crazy juggling of the franchise!)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Sw Tie ins almost done!

Korvac Saga was pretty good. Its one of the few tie ins that deals with people knowing the world is "wrong" and it does it nicely.

Squadron Sinister is weird. I dont care about any of the characters but I'm really into the intrigue of the book, especially in these later issues, so I guess I ultimately like it. Still one issue left tho, not sure what thats about, guess it came out late.

Only Captain Britain & The Mighty Defenders and Guardians of Knowhere left.

conman

I'm buying my first comics ever this weekend and I'm just a tad bit overwhelmed of all the choices, excited for it regardless, looking at picking up Saga, Punisher and Moon Knight.
I just recently got back into the big "corporate" comics myself (thank you, Ta-Nehisi Coates).

Instead of feeling overwhelmed, I've just dived in, knowing it would take me a while to find my way. I just went in and talked to the guy who owns my local shop and started with his recommendations (his two suggestions: The Vision and Doctor Strange). Then I went back and picked up current and back issues that were at the beginning of new storylines in other things that looked good. Then I started catching myself up on only the ones I liked. Before I knew it, I've got a stack of 40 new single-issues, a subscription to Marvel Unlimited, and a list of a dozen new books I'm now following.

Favorites of the bunch right now are Doctor Strange, Spider-Gwen, The Ultimates, and Ms. Marvel. As a fellow newbie (or re-newbie?) I say just start with something. If you like it, dig deeper. If not, try something else. Kind of simple really.

Also, Saga is incredible. But that's been running for a while and is worth starting at the very beginning in trades.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Good to hear that the americans all enjoyed Civil War

See you in the 6 months
when we will see Dr. Strange a week before you

Rhaknar

I think the Secret Wars main issues are even more behind on MU compared to what they were when coming out. Just checked and the last one that was added was #6. Meanwhile we are like halfway through ANAD #1s, got some #2s and even some #3s (Amazing Spidey and Invincible Ironman)

I think the Secret Wars main issues are even more behind on MU compared to what they were when coming out. Just checked and the last one that was added was #6. Meanwhile we are like halfway through ANAD #1s, got some #2s and even some #3s (Amazing Spidey and Invincible Ironman)

It was like that when they came out actually. Secret Wars suffered heavy delays so it ended up finishing well after ANAD started.

Rhaknar

How are those What If? Infinity comics?

Billing address problem solved!

Anyways, be prepared for a long one:

X-Force by Craig Kyle and Chris Yost: The Complete Collection Vol. 2

To start, I'll link my previous reviews to the two volumes that come before this in the reading order:

-X-Force by Craig Kyle and Chris Yost: The Complete Collection Vol. 1
-X-Force/Cable: Messiah War

Now, getting in to the nitty gritty, I have to say that this book is great. Outright, I'll start off this review on a very positive note: it's absolutely great. However, it's considerably bloodier, gorier, and all around vulgar. This book gives zero fucks about your sensibilities. All in all, not for the younger audiences.

To start off, the book has the team coming back from their time jump in Messiah War, returning to the various spots. Continuing from the volume previous to Messiah War, Bastion and the Technocracy has enacted a plan to use various mutants as "bombs" to blow up major locales in order to unite the public wholeheartedly against the mutant "menace." X-Force saves the mutants being used, but at the cost of X-23 being captured by HAMMER. Eventually, she escapes from Kimura, and OP mutant with unbreakable skin (Even adamantium can't break it) who's torturing the fuck out of her. Like, cutting off her arms with a chainsaw level of fucked up. Meanwhile as X-Force is regrouping on Utopia, Rahne and her Asgardian wolf prince Hrimhar are having an all day fuck session, until they are interrupted by Frost Giants. They fight the giants and Archangel shows up and brings them back to Utopia because his house is fucking wrecked (again) and because Rahne is going into labor from her weird wolf-god-mutant baby (fucking cosmic pregnancies). During ALL OF THIS, Selene finally puts her plan -- the same plan that's been brewing since Eli Bard entered the Purifiers -- into action.

For those who have forgotten: Selene is a mutant witch who has the ability to steal people's souls, which keeps her young, healthy, and immortal. Back in the day, Selene recruited a man named Eliphas to help her take all the souls in Rome by writing transmutation circles in blood around the city. This would give her enough souls to make her a god (this is straight up Fullmetal Alchemist). Well, in the modern day, Eliphas (now going by Eli Bard) has manipulated the Purifiers into resurrecting the Technocracy, which he's used to bring back some select mutants: Wither (actually alive), Sanyanka (also alive and in seclusion), Blink, Caliban, and Lois (Dazzler's dead sister). Using her special squad, she goes to Genosha and resurrects ALL OF THE DEAD MUTANTS EVER SOME HOW. She sends them to Utopia on an assault run, while using another huge group of mutants to build her a city, referring to her new kingdom as Black Rome, with the island being Necrosha. While Utopia's under attack, X-Force regroups all nice and healthy: X-23's arm grew back (I didn't know she could grow back full limbs); Elixir recovered (removing the virus from the mutant bombs took everything he had) due to Hrimhar making a deal with Hela to save Rahne. Elixir then "removed" Vanquisher's tumor (it was removed when they were in the future. He remained sick because he had stage four syphilis). Rahne recovered from her super pregnancy by Elixir causing the baby's power to dissipate into Rahne giving her a massive power boost. Or something. I honestly have no fucking clue.

So anyways, the whole team goes to Necrosha and fucks everything up in a kickass spirit battle, used from the Demon Bear encounter that Warpath had way back near the beginning of the run. It's AWESOME. Everyone encounters their various counterparts and FUCKS ALL OF THE THINGS UP. IT'S SO FUCKING BRUTAL AND COOL AND HYPE. FUCK YES! *coughcough* Anyways, after the fight, Logan and Cyclops reconvene at Warren's house (the one that got wrecked by a combination of wolf fucking and frost giants) and Logan gives Scott the rundown: Domino and Vanisher are still in, but are recuperating in Brazil; Warpath's revenge is fulfilled, and he leaves; Rahne leaves because she should never have been on it in the first place (so says Logan. Quite honestly I agree); Elixir leaves because he finally can't deal anymore, and his battle with Wither (who had the opposite power of Elixir, being able to decay everything he touches instead of restore) has left him weakened and fucked up; and X-23 leaves because Logan made her leave. No mention is made of Archangel, but it's assumed he's still on board. The book then ends with "Next up: Second Coming."

So, as I've said before, this was a great book. One of my big things with stories is that, in order for me to like them (shows, books, movies, comics) a lot, I have to be invested in three components: the characters (including the drama), the mythology/lore, and the plot. The characters are amazing as always, having their arcs develop in meaningful ways, all having to make huge personal advances at the cost of making huge sacrifices. Their arcs come at a very pyrrhic victory, not only personally, but as a whole to the plot as well. Warpath must embrace his tribe's traditions in order to destroy them; Elixir's power to heal and restore not only almost kills him multiple times, but is ultimately the only way to kill his former friend and fellow student; X-23 gains a stronger sense of humanity, but at the cost of incredible suffering, having to literally dismember and destroy parts of herself to achieve victory; Archangel manages to channel and control his Death persona at the cost of becoming more like Apocalypse, killing the resurrected mutants and Selene because of their inferiority and weakness, rather than the preservation of the planet; Vanisher finally learns to protect other people, but only after getting extremely sick and having been manipulated to a ridiculous degree; Rahne gets to experience true love, only to have her true love condemn himself to the underworld and to almost be killed by his god baby (a resolution I still have no full understanding of). Logan and Domino don't really change much. Logan keeps on trucking, learning to deal with the weights on his shoulders, and Domino realizing she's never gonna get paid and actually caring for X-Force (mainly Logan). Logan does have a cool moment where he tackles Scott, saying he's responsible for all of this and Scott responds with "yes," after which Logan helps him up. Just a cool bonding moment. The team as a whole is a joy to watch grow as a whole, seeing their chemistry and cooperation get stronger. It's awesome.

The mythos and lore are in no short supply with the X-Men, and the plot is amazing. I'm a sucker for long-form, overarching plot threads. Seeing the Necrosha storyline that's been developing finally come to a head -- in a pretty badass way, I might add -- is immensely satisfying and cool to see. I know a lot of people were disappointed with it, but I thought it was cool. Maybe some missed potential, sure, but still a good story. Especially given that it's mainly an X-Force event. Seeing the Demon Bear storyline, one that I had thought previously to serve as a small development for Warpath, became far more plot relevant than I had thought. The one storyline that didn't make sense was the Hrimhar plot: Frost giants show up to kill him, but there's no explanation as to how. Hrimhar explains the why (they love to kill wolf-people, because they're descendants of Fenris, I guess), but even he's like, "I dunno how OR why in this specific instance." Then he gets booted to Hel because of the deal he made (again, descendent of Fenris), and she ends up with a baby but also cosmic superpowers. Maybe. It's really unclear. There's an annual about Deadpool fucking around on Utopia during the zombie assault that's really fun, and there's a three part story that assumedly takes place after everything. The story, called "Sex and Violence", is about Domino fucking with both The Hand and the Assassin's Guild and dragging Logan into it. Also, her and Logan fuck a lot because they're still super hot for each other ever since Morrison's New X-Men run when the got hot and heavy for a night. The story literally ends with Logan driving off to get a room while Domino gives him road head in a new car she bought for him. It's fun. There are a couple stray plotlines yet: Doug Ramsey A.K.A. Cypher was resurrected, but he bailed, which was fucked up because he was needed for Selene's plan to fully control the Technocracy, which Bastion is still in control of and interfaced with, so that's also a thing.

This is an awesome book. The art and writing are on point as they were before. There's honestly not much more to say on that front that I haven't said above. A great X-book that I personally think doesn't get enough love from what I've seen. It really should. EVERYONE READ THIS SHIT.

Anyways, on to Second Coming!

Rhaknar

I demand you read the latest X-Force damn it BK

Rhaknar

ehhhh I got bored after the first couple so I dunno. The one where Thanos joins the Avengers is all right I guess, I think that's the second one.

Its just a bunch of one-shots right?

Foofaraw

Civil War some delightful. I hope folks who decide to read some comics after watching it don't try to read Civil War. I remember doing that when I first started reading comics. It went poorly and soured me on the cape books for a while.

Gonna go back to reading old Spider-Man comics. So good.

tim1138

Thanks. Sucks to hear that the mini didn't turn out well, but I'll definitely put the main series on my list.

To be fair, I'm probably harsher on the mini than it deserves. It wasn't bad by any means, I was just super disappointed in how it was released and disappeared.

duckroll said:
The way the hardcovers are divided sounds really lame though. I guess I'll pick up the singles digitally instead when I want to read it. :(

no lie.

Why the fuck do you make a Deluxe edition that includes 10 each of a 25 issue series.

If Fatale and Hawkeye can do it in 2 books why can't this?

I'm sure they did it so they can have three deluxe editions and cover the entire series. The miniseries is a direct continuation of the story of two of the characters from the original series.

Top Bottom