• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

duckroll

Fatale - Book Two: The Devil's Business

Just gets better and better. Having just finished The Fade Out last month, this story arc feels pretty similar in tone due to the setting, but with totally different context. Again we have someone who is part of the Hollywood system, unable to break away, but no longer capable of performing as part of it. He gets involved in sketchy shit, like murder and conspiracy, and wants to play the hero for a girl he doesn't even know all that well. The difference here is that while Fade Out was about a man compelled by his own ego and delusions, this is about a man who is compelled by dark magic. But the way he is written doesn't elevate him from the flawed character he is. While his actions are not entirely his own, a common theme in Fatale is that many of these people are led to Jo as a result of their own poor life decisions. They are already somewhat broken by the time they get there.

Civil War II Free Comic Book Day
tumblr_o4xnkayz2b1up1dk4o6_r1_250.gif

Man, I had a little read of Inhumans #1 from the 90s and I was a little sad
to see that nothing has improved for them in the 30 years since their debut haha Blackbolt still not speaking.

People calling her bad don't know how to use her.

Maybe.
Maybe they know, and see the cazul tresh getting rekt, then realize that they can use them to drive concerns that the char is weak and needs a buff, thus taking her all the way to awesome.

to see that nothing has improved for them in the 30 years since their debut haha Blackbolt still not speaking.

He speaks. He has a special room/dimension constructed during Hickman's New Avengers where he can talk to people without killing them. That's kind of his gimmick, though, and one of the things that makes him cool to me. It's fun to see a really talented writer find ways for him to communicate, especially when Medusa isn't around to act as his voice.

Thats like complaining that scott still has to wear silly glasses. Or that beast still looks stupid.
He speaks. He has a special room/dimension constructed during Hickman's New Avengers where he can talk to people without killing them. That's kind of his gimmick, though, and one of the things that makes him cool to me. It's fun to see a really talented writer find ways for him to communicate, especially when Medusa isn't around to act as his voice.

Also, i'd bet, a large part of why the character is so seldom used.

Well Black Bolt's whole thing is that whenever he talks then shit explodes

Thats like complaining that scott still has to wear silly glasses. Or that beast still looks stupid.

Also, i'd bet, a large part of why the character is so seldom used.

Oh yeah, I understand all of that I just thought maybe something might have changed in 30 years, but I guess not. Although Beast totally changes in 30 years!!

Any word on when I can read the Civil War II FCBD book on CMX? I can never remember how long it usually takes them to make their way onto digital

Messi

Maybe.
Maybe they know, and see the cazul tresh getting rekt, then realize that they can use them to drive concerns that the char is weak and needs a buff, thus taking her all the way to awesome.

Yes.... YES. She is weak as fuck blizzard. Make her more powerful blizzard.

Did anyone get the We can never go home FCBD issue?? How was it. I don't do FCBD as I don't like crowds but I really wanted to read that.

TheFlow

Banned
Fatale - Book Two: The Devil's Business

Just gets better and better. Having just finished The Fade Out last month, this story arc feels pretty similar in tone due to the setting, but with totally different context. Again we have someone who is part of the Hollywood system, unable to break away, but no longer capable of performing as part of it. He gets involved in sketchy shit, like murder and conspiracy, and wants to play the hero for a girl he doesn't even know all that well. The difference here is that while Fade Out was about a man compelled by his own ego and delusions, this is about a man who is compelled by dark magic. But the way he is written doesn't elevate him from the flawed character he is. While his actions are not entirely his own, a common theme in Fatale is that many of these people are led to Jo as a result of their own poor life decisions. They are already somewhat broken by the time they get there.
Foo you got me thinking you read the whole first deluxe edition because you are calling each volume "book"

Mane

duckroll

Foo you got me thinking you read the whole first deluxe edition because you are calling each volume "book"

Mane

I did read the whole first deluxe edition! I'm reading the second now. I'm just posting impressions on the stuff I finished yesterday!

TheFlow

Banned
Any word on when I can read the Civil War II FCBD book on CMX? I can never remember how long it usually takes them to make their way onto digital
A week after. But I am not holding my breath.

I am almost positive my shop is sold out

Duckroll

Ohh my bad. I was so confused

complicated0014.gif

Was it good? I need to know what we're working with here. I would like this event not to be a dumpster fire like the original.
The dialogue is bad, mostly, but it also comes off as a really stupid, poorly cobbled together issue. Like they took two issues and cobbled them together.

It doesn't even feel like Bendis. It feels like Bendis when he stops giving a fuck about what he's writing on all levels and just says, "yeah I guess this is writing words on paper that technically consists of plot and dialogue." It also upsets me that
the most important super on Earth is an Inhuman with a powerset we've already seen, and not the fucking dimension/universe hopping mutant that was in Bendis' All-New X-Men.

It's not good. And neither was the ANAD Avengers story that came after it in the same issue, though at least that had an intriguing ending.

tim1138

Yes.... YES. She is weak as fuck blizzard. Make her more powerful blizzard.

Did anyone get the We can never go home FCBD issue?? How was it. I don't do FCBD as I don't like crowds but I really wanted to read that.

It was good, you see the motel shootout from the perspective of the girl who is going to be the main character in volume 2.

The Young Terrorists part was mostly back story for Sera and then her fighting a dude who is after access codes for her dad's server.

Hagi

The dialogue is bad, mostly, but it also comes off as a really stupid, poorly cobbled together issue. Like they took two issues and cobbled them together.

It doesn't even feel like Bendis. It feels like Bendis when he stops giving a fuck about what he's writing on all levels and just says, "yeah I guess this is writing words on paper that technically consists of plot and dialogue." It also upsets me that
the most important super on Earth is an Inhuman with a powerset we've already seen, and not the fucking dimension/universe hopping mutant that was in Bendis' All-New X-Men.

It's not good. And neither was the ANAD Avengers story that came after it in the same issue, though at least that had an intriguing ending.

hmmm I'm not surprised to say the least yet I'm still disappointed, not sure how that works. Maybe I'll like it though, just have to wait and see.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The Aliens Series is really good.
Will maybe read Fatale after it. Duckrolls praise for it sounds good and I am in terrible hunger for something cthuluoid

TheFlow

Banned
Will maybe read Fatale after it. Duckrolls praise for it sounds good and I am in terrible hunger for something cthuluoid

I have been telling yah shit was good for a while now . Yah out here telling me it was boring and such but the book is actually a page turner. finished the whole book in one sitting

-_-

I wanna start Gotham but it is daunting

My wife came out of the theater with an itch to read some Avengers comics. I asked her which character she dug the most and would like to read about the most. She said Vision.

I was practically giddy. She digs in tonight.

I've only read the original three volumes of Aliens, but I enjoyed them give or take a few things and the art style changing with each artist. I'm gutted I didn't have any spare cash for the big sale last week to get the next few volumes.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I've only read the original three volumes of Aliens, but I enjoyed them give or take a few things and the art style changing with each artist. I'm gutted I didn't have any spare cash for the big sale last week to get the next few volumes.
I really dig it, but I have the feeling like its the source for the one Alien novel Ive once read. Will see how it ends.

I have been telling yah shit was good for a while now . Yah out here telling me it was boring and such but the book is actually a page turner. finished the whole book in one sitting

-_-
I never said that :/ I just never came around because I havent read Comics for a couple of weeks beside a hand full of books but now I am back and need a small interupt from Cape Books.
Cant wait for Gotham Central by the way, I love superhero books from a perspective of ordinary people.

Messi

My wife came out of the theater with an itch to read some Avengers comics. I asked her which character she dug the most and would like to read about the most. She said Vision.

I was practically giddy. She digs in tonight.

Oh god. Not that vision comic lol

Found out that there is such a thing as Ultimate Vision
went googling

on one hand, giant robotic tits
on the other hand, mike carey

hmm

Boogiepop

Guys, I think I did something wrong here. Went to my local shop for FCBD, and, rather than comics, I ended up buying a tiny amount of manga. Seriously, somehow, despite my (literally) thousands of volumes of manga and their incredibly dinky selection of the stuff (they had like maybe 20 volumes on sale), they managed to have a good deal on two books I needed. (A volume of Master Keaton and then a random thing that was a hole in-between volumes of review books, because manga publishers suck at consistently sending copies of a series). Meanwhile, they had plenty of comics on sale, but nothing I could justify for the prices. Really wanted to grab a hardcover copy of Morrison's Fantastic Four they had on sale, but the dust jacket cover was seriously ripped, and it was one of those books where the cover underneath was one of those ones where it was just blank.

:/

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I missed which one you're reading, so tell me! I've never met anyone else who's read Aliens before.
The one that was currently rereleased as a 30 year anniversary Library Edition.

Would be interested in the newer stuff, but it seems like there are a t least three series to follow since they are going the its all connected route with Aliens, Predator and Prometheus and its just to much

TheFlow

Banned
Guys, I think I did something wrong here. Went to my local shop for FCBD, and, rather than comics, I ended up buying a tiny amount of manga. Seriously, somehow, despite my (literally) thousands of volumes of manga and their incredibly dinky selection of the stuff (they had like maybe 20 volumes on sale), they managed to have a good deal on two books I needed. (A volume of Master Keaton and then a random thing that was a hole in-between volumes of review books, because manga publishers suck at consistently sending copies of a series). Meanwhile, they had plenty of comics on sale, but nothing I could justify for the prices. Really wanted to grab a hardcover copy of Morrison's Fantastic Four they had on sale, but the dust jacket cover was seriously ripped, and it was one of those books where the cover underneath was one of those ones where it was just blank.

:/

nothing wrong with manga.

and yea I hate when books are just blank underneath the dustjacket.

Gameproff
- I wasn't really targeting you. just couldn't remember who said what

The one that was currently rereleased as a 30 year anniversary Library Edition.

Would be interested in the newer stuff, but it seems like there are a t least three series to follow since they are going the its all connected route with Aliens, Predator and Prometheus and its just to much

Oh yeah that's Vol 1 with original black & white artwork and names - it's amazing. Some of the artwork is insane. Not entirely sure on the relationship between Hicks and Newt though.
The group of people who adopt the Xenomorph as a prophet is a great touch.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Oh yeah that's Vol 1 with original black & white artwork and names - it's amazing. Some of the artwork is insane. Not entirely sure on the relationship between Hicks and Newt though.
The group of people who adopt the Xenomorph as a prophet is a great touch.
They are going to
have sex
, right? Then its really the source material for the novel ive read.
The artwork is really great

ElNarez

Banned
The funniest moment in that fucking bummer of a Civil War II preview was
Rhodey's missile straight up going for Jenn's boobs
, which makes for HILARIOUS innuendo

Top Bottom