• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Finished the first Fatale deluxe. Which has Death Chases Me and The Devil's Business. Sorry but anyone who has negative things to say about this is crazy in my book. :)

giphy.gif

shingi70

Banned
Saw it for the 2nd time last night, still start off team Cap and end up team Tony.

Was there a 2nd post credit scene? There wasn't one in the early svreenig so I didn't stay yesterday

arkon

After what I've read of Cry Havoc, I'm very much doubting Spurrier's apparent god-writer powers.

He's had more hits than misses for me. X-Men Legacy, Six-Gun Gorilla, X-Force and the Spire. I have Cry Havoc in the backlog too, which I'll probably start in the next week or two. I've not dropped anything by him at this point but I've not read everything he's done either. Yet.

Youre like that friend in school that says he has your back, then the bullies show up and he hightails outta there and you catch a beating
But I have never said, at any point, that it was better than Rememder's. I've only said that it's really good and more people should read it, and I stand by that statement. It's one of my favorite X-books that I've read.

duckroll

Fatale - Book One: Death Chases Me

This was so fucking good. It's everything I expected out of Brubaker writing a Lovecraftian noir series that subverts the femme fatale trope. Like all good writers of a Lovecraftian tale, Brubaker understands that the most important feeling in the story is hopelessness. Not out of being mean-spirited or edgy, but because it is core to the nature of cosmic horror. The fear of helplessness in facing the unknown is what makes these stories. By making both Jo and the various men in her lift -both- helpless to powers at work is extremely effective in depicting how things are completely out of their control. She can't help making them do anything for her, and they can't resist the allure she has. Everything is doomed, yet as human beings, they struggle to try and make do in their circumstances. Tragic but compelling.

The art is great too. It renders the different time periods pretty well while having a very consistent direction. Some of the layouts are really haunting. There's one particular page I totally fell in love with in chapter four, where Booker recalls that even as a young boy, he could see the "other" side of the world. There was something totally perfect about everything on that page - from the paneling, the coloring, and just the way it was written.

The framing narrative is a pretty cool idea to link the overall story while allowing each individual story arc to cover a very specific set of characters in a time period and having internal themes and story beats which resolve, while feeding into a larger mystery. I'm a sucker for smart narrative devices, and for a tale about an eternal woman who can't stop herself from leading men into doomed fates, this is a pretty great narrative device.

diaspora

It's taken 18 months to get this far haha

I'd honestly recommend people to just stick to the essentials from this era, as when they're good they're GOOD, but when they're bad they're BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD. Fantastic Four, Spider-Man and Avengers have consistently been good reads. Sadly everything is often very poor to terrible.

So many robots too.

Ah, I see. What are the different Vols about?

Also I think I see why CMRO finishes ~2004, as Comicbookherald seems to have an intensive Reading Order from 2000 to Present day, so I can always follow that. I'm still not sure why Avengers Disassembled seems to be some sort of landmark amongst those compiling Chronological Reading Orders. I guess I'll find out in 20 years time!

I'm somewhat tempted to reading CMRO's classic reading order and Comic Book Herald's more modern take on 616 reading order to split things up. Now sure how much that will confuse me though.
Spider-man has "Sins Past" though. =P

Usagi Yojimbo - Grasscutter: This has to be one of the best plotted/scripted arcs I have read in any comics. There were plot points hinted at and characters introduced 1.5 years before they actually came to a head in the arc. Just the four (4!) prologues going all Silmarillion on me should have indicated how epic this was going to be. Took me a while to look up all the names/references on Wikipedia.

And the art of course!

A5ebpd7.jpg

And the "Oh shit" moment when you come to this panel at the end of a chapter.

xYrWyBP.jpg

Noooo, not Inazuma! And that little girl is starting to get very creepy too.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh my goodness. Hitman just keeps getting better and better and better.
Absolutely brilliant.

This arc with Catwoman is too good.

TheFlow

Banned
Usagi Yojimbo - Grasscutter: This has to be one of the best plotted/scripted arcs I have read in any comics. There were plot points hinted at and characters introduced 1.5 years before they actually came to a head in the arc. Just the four (4!) prologues going all Silmarillion on me should have indicated how epic this was going to be. Took me a while to look up all the names/references on Wikipedia.

And the art of course!

A5ebpd7.jpg

And the "Oh shit" moment when you come to this panel at the end of a chapter.

xYrWyBP.jpg

Noooo, not Inazuma! And that little girl is starting to get very creepy too.
You are making me want to re-read this.

And lol brush I thought I was the only one who had to hit wiki real quick

You are making me want to re-read this.

And lol brush I thought I was the only one who had to hit wiki real quick

It did get a little confusing, so wikipedia helped. They start using the Genji vs Heike names and then suddenly switch to Taira and Minamoto names.
-_-

And seven generations of Gods before Japan is even created!

I've been re-reading TWD, which i'd dropped, oh i dunno, once the governor arc concluded, yoinks ago. Since i remember nearly nothing, opted to start from scratch.

Don't know exactly what, but there's something in the way kirkman writes dialogue that is irritating me immensely. Like, struggling to clear the first 10 ishs.

I think its the most overrated X-Men comic in history. Well, second, first would be Days of Future Past. Its one random issue people!

There's more creativity in the first arc of Remender's run than Spurrier has demonstrated in his entire career. Real talk.

I could sit here all morning and post incredible moments from that series. And it keeps getting better.

Bringing up DOFP is a massive red herring.

Zubz

Banned
I have a wedding to go to, so I can't do FCBD today, but Happy Free Comic Book Day to everyone who can! I didn't get to check what all's being given out, but I hope it's as good as last year.

Also, now that my schedule's clearing up again, I have more time for comics. Does anyone have any good recommendations for on-going series? Thanks!

Hagi

Oi! Lovely new avatar m8

real talk her design is second to only Mercy but her voice kills me inside

picked up Paper Girls because my local Waterstones luckily had a copy, looking forward to reading it later. Going to get We Can Never Go Home later in the week.

Oh my goodness. Hitman just keeps getting better and better and better.
Absolutely brilliant.

This arc with Catwoman is too good.

Just wait til you get to the Christmas issue

So are the Hitman trades partially OOP? I've been interested in it for a while and it looks like Comixology is the way to go for it.

Yeah, they've been OOP for a minute, they go for like $40 bucks now on Amazon RIP. But they are out there...but yes Comixology is the way

Get Tracer out of your avatar pls

I've been re-reading TWD, which i'd dropped, oh i dunno, once the governor arc concluded, yoinks ago. Since i remember nearly nothing, opted to start from scratch.

Don't know exactly what, but there's something in the way kirkman writes dialogue that is irritating me immensely. Like, struggling to clear the first 10 ishs.
Kirkmans dialogue is extremely expository. Kirkman works with very good to great artists and yet often doesnt trust them to tell the story.

I have a wedding to go to, so I can't do FCBD today, but Happy Free Comic Book Day to everyone who can! I didn't get to check what all's being given out, but I hope it's as good as last year.

Also, now that my schedule's clearing up again, I have more time for comics. Does anyone have any good recommendations for on-going series? Thanks!
What are you looking for exactly? Marvel/DC stuff? Indie comics? Certain genres?
Yeah, they've been OOP for a minute, they go for like $40 bucks now on Amazon RIP. But they are out there...but yes Comixology is the way

Get Tracer out of your avatar pls
I figured, thanks for the heads up though. I'll probably to for it during the next DC BOGO sale. I wanna try out Shade too.

So Jason Aaron, Jamie Mckelvie and Ian Churchill and some others were here in Cape Town, South Africa today for FCBD at 'Fancon', our very first proper comic book convention. It was so surreal meeting them, and getting some stuff signed too etc. This must be what real cons are like

Whilce Portacio and Joe Benitez are gonna be at my LCS today. Not like a huge fan of them but it's cool that my local store that I go to can have signings like this

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So Jason Aaron, Jamie Mckelvie and Ian Churchill and some others were here in Cape Town, South Africa today for FCBD at 'Fancon', our very first proper comic book convention. It was so surreal meeting them, and getting some stuff signed too etc. This must be what real cons are like
We have soon our first con but we only got some Agents of Shield (not the cool one like Couldon, Fitz or The Cavalery) and Bob Layton.
Most famous appearence is the actress of Bernadette from The Big Bang Theory).

Some people got really angry that no one of the original Ghostbusters appear lol (as if someone like Shigourney Weaver would care about a C-tier Convention)

frye

d. va is the best because that animation when you get into your robot is cool as heck even if she's kinda bad

Boogiepop

It did get a little confusing, so wikipedia helped. They start using the Genji vs Heike names and then suddenly switch to Taira and Minamoto names.
-_-

And seven generations of Gods before Japan is even created!

Psh, that's what you get for not taking classes on that stuff before reading.
Yeah, I probably had a BIT of an advantage in terms of keeping track of all that stuff by virtue of being a Japanese major in college-> a translator now. Just a tad.

But yeah, the one "knock" I have against the arc is that it feels kind of bizarre that with all the Japanese names and terms he fills the series with, it feels a little awkward to refer to Kusanagi as "Grasscutter," IE with a translated name, when that kind of feels to me like it's one of those things that's definitively better off left in its original form. (It still works out, especially since he goes into the story and explains the name and whatnot, but I'd imagine for English readers giving it that name almost undercuts its importance a bit)

TheFlow

Banned
Psh, that's what you get for not taking classes on that stuff before reading.
Yeah, I probably had a BIT of an advantage in terms of keeping track of all that stuff by virtue of being a Japanese major in college-> a translator now. Just a tad.

But yeah, the one "knock" I have against the arc is that it feels kind of bizarre that with all the Japanese names and terms he fills the series with, it feels a little awkward to refer to Kusanagi as "Grasscutter," IE with a translated name, when that kind of feels to me like it's one of those things that's definitively better off left in its original form. (It still works out, especially since he goes into the story and explains the name and whatnot, but I'd imagine for English readers giving it that name almost undercuts its importance a bit)
Sakai really is a living Legend

Top Bottom