• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Zombine

Banned
They had enough for the little girl's coat though.

Lol.

No but for real I love Alien more than Aliens, but I still appreciate the additional lore. I can never get enough lore. Like, Alien 3 was shit, but at least I got to see what that prison planet was like.

I wish someone would make a movie about other things in this universe.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
it's not even that I hate sex or jokes or sex jokes, it's, okay

here's a good sex joke from a recent DC comic

ChGf0_yWIAAaQ7w.jpg

GA or Grayson?

PsychBat!

Banned
Lol.

No but for real I love Alien more than Aliens, but I still appreciate the additional lore. I can never get enough lore. Like, Alien 3 was shit, but at least I got to see what that prison planet was like.

I wish someone would make a movie about other things in this universe.

I can't decide on which one I love more. But I do agree with the rest of this.

Owzers

I didn't like Vision #1 as much as i was hoping for, but i will keep reading. While i liked the tone, i didn't particularly care about what was going on. They're just a bunch of robots. It felt like a somber epilogue at the end of a movie I never actually watched.

Between this and the Deadpool movie there's a super interesting conversation to be had about how sexual we want our corporate comic book super heroes to be, and it's a super interesting question to explore in things that are not the ongoing series "SEX" from Image.

But, this? With this character? In this context? With those implications?

It's beyond fucking gross, and holy moly how did anyone give it a pass when people yelled at the Suicide Squad trailer for having the same imagery as the new 52 book of the same name.
I think its pretty rare for a capes book to have an honest portrayal of a sexual relationship. like we get a little sex, here and there, mostly played for laughs, but honestly, that time Kitty and Peter got it going in Astonishing X-Men was one of the few times in comics where it made sense that the characters actually wanted to fuck each other.

Boogiepop

Alien is so superior in every way. Aliens took a genuinely frightening masterpiece and turned it into jump scare shlock.

I see people came down on you, but I totally have your back here. Loved Alien, and was decently excited to watch the sequel since I had heard so many people hyping up Aliens forever, and... it was a letdown in so, so many ways. Like, it retreads so much ground of the first movie but manages to do it so much worse. But it's been a while and my rants on this are already buried on GAF somewhere.

But yeah, long story short: while it's plenty flawed, if it weren't for the awful effects, even Alien 3 would be a better movie than Aliens, and I stand by that statement. (Resurrection, though, yeeeeeeah... that one's only redeeming trait is laughing at how poor it is.)

(Also, while I'm on the topic of unpopular opinions that this reminds me of: I also prefer Terminator 1 to 2, though in that case that's more just preferences than feeling one's actually a bad movie or anything)

Edit: Oh right, may as well cap it off: Prometheus is also flawed, but is again better than Aliens.

I think its pretty rare for a capes book to have an honest portrayal of a sexual relationship. like we get a little sex, here and there, mostly played for laughs, but honestly, that time Kitty and Peter got it going in Astonishing X-Men was one of the few times in comics where it made sense that the characters actually wanted to fuck each other.
Kitty and Piotr for lyfe

Owzers

The only thing that's missing right now is people saying how mediocre Nextwave was again. Then the war begins, a war without end.

Sandfox

Which Peter?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I didn't like Vision #1 as much as i was hoping for, but i will keep reading. While i liked the tone, i didn't particularly care about what was going on. They're just a bunch of robots. It felt like a somber epilogue at the end of a movie I never actually watched.

You truly hate everything dont you? :3

Boogiepop

Prometheus better than Aliens? Now I've heard it all.

I mean, Prometheus had things that felt at least somewhat interesting in it (IIRC, don't remember much of it now) and was trying to be its own thing. Aliens felt like it was overlapping the same exact structure as Alien in a ton of places but just missing the point and not pulling anything off as well.

Plus, I mean, it still blows my mind that they do the whole set up of "hey look, Ripley is unfairly prejudiced towards Bishop due to the events of the first movie," which is actually an interesting idea... only for the movie to somehow follow that through with Bishop somehow needing to end up proving himself to Ripley, instead of Ripley needing to actually overcome her prejudices. Bleh.

I don't know, I just found myself annoyed with a ton of things big and small throughout the film the whole time I was watching it. Maybe, maybe if I rewatched it and tried to drill into my head beforehand that it's an "action" film rather than a horror movie like the first one (like maybe it's not "fair" that it annoys me how the Aliens actually end up being far, far less effective and intimidating in mass when compared to single creature in the first one), then maybe I could accept it better. I don't know.

Just at the end of the day, though, I really didn't enjoy the movie at all when watching it, so I don't know what else to say.

Edit: But yeah, I'll drop it for now, as I'm just making myself feel grumpy and me trying to regurgitate my rants from when the movie was fresher in my mind probably doesn't do anyone any good.

TheFlow

Banned
Blacksad shadow within

This story was better than the stories in fatale. Like damn I can't even describe how good this first story was.

5/5

Zombine

Banned
Blacksad shadow within

This story was better than the stories in fatale. Like damn I can't even describe how good this first story was.

5/5

Be honest it made you consider being a Furry. I know I thought about it like I thought about becoming a criminal after I watched The Departed.

TheFlow

Banned
Be honest it made you consider being a Furry. I know I thought about it like I thought about becoming a criminal after I watched The Departed.
Lol nah nothing like that.

But man the art in blacksad is hands down some of the best I have seen in my 4 years of collecting comics

Afrodium

Banned

I just finished Vision #1 and adored it. One of the best new single issues I've read in some time. I've yet to read something by Tom King I don't like.

And Batman in a few weeks...

JTripper

While waiting on line to pick up U4 at midnight, I'm gonna finally read Ms. Marvel and Doctor Strange: The Oath.

I just finished Vision #1 and adored it. One of the best new single issues I've read in some time. I've yet to read something by Tom King I don't like.

And Batman in a few weeks...

You know he was once the president of the United States? I think...

Read doctor Strange #2 on MU. I don't know why it didn't occur to me until halfway through issue 2 that this series is really an extension/evolution of Aaron/Bachalo's Wolverine & the Xmen series. That precious series had a house of chaos and weird and they took that and just amped it up even more. Fun stuff

Read doctor Strange #2 on MU. I don't know why it didn't occur to me until halfway through issue 2 that this series is really an extension/evolution of Aaron/Bachalo's Wolverine & the Xmen series. That precious series had a house of chaos and weird and they took that and just amped it up even more. Fun stuff

I like the way you think.

JTripper

I fucking loved Wolverine & The X-Men. Looks like I'm picking up the Doctor Strange hardcover this week.

Calcium

Banned
Never got the hate for Prometheus. It has its flaws, but the way people here talk about it you'd think it would be utter dreck.

It's not a terrible film, but for me it joins the Matrix sequels and The Hobbit films as movies that were so crushingly disappointing that I can't watch them and get any enjoyment out of it.

Boogiepop

Nevah.

Anyone else excited about the Pokemon news coming tomorrow.
Yes, very! Now there's something I can be positive about! Here's hoping it's at least substantial enough that we get a good look at the actual game engine and whatnot since we've already done some solid waiting on news, and doesn't end up like those reveals where we just get, like, a few seconds of walking around the opening town...

Was considering getting up early for it, but I guess there's no need and I can just watch it when I get up normally...

Top Bottom