• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Owzers

Uncanny X-men #600 - wet fart ending to Bendis's run, although it was cool to see Beast being shat on. But for such a long issue nothing much happened or was concluded. And Cyclops's protest or whatever it was felt meaningless.

The ending the book deserved. I moved on to Extraordinary X-Men and Uncanny Inhumans #1s, my overall opinion is that i'm glad i didn't pay money for these books individually, just standard Roman Reigns tag team matches until an event comic books. There needs to be a character with a "Make America Human Again" hat.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wow, people hate on X books so hard but when they finally get an actually good run it's considered overrated.

Neither do I hate X books (in fact im the resident x-men fanboy) nor do "people" think Uncanny X-Force is overrated. I do and im a very small minority.

So nothing on Busiek's Invincible Iron Man?
Uncanny X-men #600 - wet fart ending to Bendis's run, although it was cool to see Beast being shat on. But for such a long issue nothing much happened or was concluded. And Cyclops's protest or whatever it was felt meaningless.
Shame you feel this way. Cyclops' speech is only rendered meaningless because of the massive assassination that was dealt recently. I really liked the issue and thought the ending was heartwarming.
Wow, people hate on X books so hard but when they finally get an actually good run it's considered overrated.
Rhaknar is one of my X-bros, so his opinion is fully formed and based firmly in reality. X-books get love here, just not the current ongoings. Even then, the current Uncanny is really the only one that is pretty close to universally disliked here.

So the hyperbole ain't working

VanWinkle

I want to get into X-men. Man, I really do. So daunting, though. And I have a harder time getting into older comics (20+ years old), which makes it all the more difficult.

TheFlow

Banned
I want to get into X-men. Man, I really do. So daunting, though. And I have a harder time getting into older comics (20+ years old), which makes it all the more difficult.

who are your favorite x men.

after you answer that question look up which books they are in and have been in the past couple year. From there you can expand out some more.

after you answer that question look up which books they are in and have been in the past couple year. From there you can expand out some more.
The answer you need. Also:

Claremont's Uncanny
Morrison's New
Bendis' All-New/Uncanny

All good starting points for the uninitiated.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
By the way I dont think Remender's Uncanny X-Force is bad by any means, I just think its overrated.

I fully admit Axis makes me biased against Remender, but I already didnt think Uncanny was amazing even before Axis.

Axis is the worst comic book event ive ever read by the way. Its one of the few things I can say I truly hated.

Edit: stop ignoring Aaron's amazing Wolverine and the X-Men run when you recomend X titles you fuckers!

By the way I dont think Remender's Uncanny X-Force is bad by any means, I just think its overrated.

I fully admit Axis makes me biased against Remender, but I already didnt think Uncanny was amazing even before Axis.

Axis is the worst comic book event ive ever read by the way. Its one of the few things I can say I truly hated.

Edit: stop ignoring Aaron's amazing Wolverine and the X-Men run when you recomend X titles you fuckers!
I CAN ONLY RECOMMEND WHAT I'VE READ WE'VE BEEN OVER THIS

Also I'm only recommending runs to people who have never read an X-book before. I've read more X-books that I'd recommend, just not to someone brand new to that universe

Sandfox

Didn't Aaron do weird things with Idie that people started questioning?

Rhaknar

Didn't Aaron do weird things with Idie that people started questioning?

She turned to shit in subsequent WatXM volumes but not in the Aaron one (issues #1-42) iirc?

Edit: today I have learned that BK hasn't read Aaron's WatXM. This makes me sad :(

Edit: is Syrin dead? I know her old man is. I miss sonic heroes, Songbird isnt enough (although Im glad shes back)

VanWinkle

Claremont's Uncanny
Morrison's New
Bendis' All-New/Uncanny

Thanks, guys. I don't really have any favorite X-men because I haven't read any. Have only watched the movies.

I do have All-New Xmen OHC Vol 1 and 2 coming in this week (and Xmen Battle of the Atom), and I also have the Uncanny X-Men OHC Vol 1, but I haven't even started it because I don't know if I SHOULD start there.

Started reading the Secret Wars Civil War tie in.

Storm looks so freaking badass.

Ugh.

It makes me more depressed after reading the Apocalypse spoilers. Justice for Ororo.

tumblr_nqkf32lqKj1s0c4z4o1_500.gif

frye

Oh yeah, for sure. And my reply was fully genuine, there was no disdain meant whatsoever. I realize that could've been inferred.
I definitely don't think Ennis is the only one who does relationships/dialogue well, but I do personally believe he's the best at it.

it's incontestable that he writes the best male friendships

She turned to shit in subsequent WatXM volumes but not in the Aaron one (issues #1-42) iirc?

Edit: today I have learned that BK hasn't read Aaron's WatXM. This makes me sad :(

Edit: is Syrin dead? I know her old man is. I miss sonic heroes, Songbird isnt enough (although Im glad shes back)
You learned that in a previous thread.

Also, Banshee is technically alive again. I think. Horseman of Death power up
Thanks, guys. I don't really have any favorite X-men because I haven't read any. Have only watched the movies.

I do have All-New Xmen OHC Vol 1 and 2 coming in this week (and Xmen Battle of the Atom), and I also have the Uncanny X-Men OHC Vol 1, but I haven't even started it because I don't know if I SHOULD start there.
I would start with All-New and then read Uncanny, personally. At least read All-New until Battle of the Atom, and then switch to Uncanny.

TheFlow

Banned

You never watched the cartoons :0.

Wolverine and the ice men

Claremont's Uncanny
Morrison's New
Bendis' All-New/Uncanny

Id easily but Whedon's run above Bendis. It's way less tied to previous events and it's pure focused "here's what makes the Xmen great" in a 24 issue run.min a lot of ways it feels like a modern take of what Claremont brought to the Xmen.

VanWinkle

I would start with All-New and then read Uncanny, personally. At least read All-New until Battle of the Atom, and then switch to Uncanny.

Sounds good!

You never watched the cartoons :0.

Wolverine and the ice men

I never even knew there was an Xmen cartoon. I never EVER watched the comic cartoons when I was growing up. I wasn't interested in comics at all. I've always like comic book movies, though. And I didn't start watching any comic cartoons until last year when I got into comics.

Id easily but Whedon's run above Bendis. It's way less tied to previous events and it's pure focused "here's what makes the Xmen great" in a 24 issue run.min a lot of ways it feels like a modern take of what Claremont brought to the Xmen.

I wish the Astonishing Xmen omnibus was still in print. :(

I can agree to that. Maybe I just got a lot more out of it because I'd read Claremont's before it. I'd still say Bendis' books are pretty beginner friendly

DC is doing a Darwyn Cooke CMX sale. It's curious DC frontiers discount isn't more. I swear they've had that on sale in the past when I bought it with 99 cent issues. Still each issue sold is essentially 2 issues of content.

https://www.comixology.com/Darwyn-Cooke-Sale/page/10679?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvc21hbGxDYXJvdXNlbA

Yeah New Frontier was on sale for 99 cents before, I got it then. The Catwoman stuff was cheaper before too.

Looks like they added the Special Issue of New Frontier and the issue of Solo that he did just for this sale too. I thought it was weird that Solo was never available on Comixology. Weirder how this is the only issue now lol

Yeah New Frontier was on sale for 99 cents before, I got it then. The Catwoman stuff was cheaper before too.

Looks like they added the Special Issue of New Frontier and the issue of Solo that he did just for this sale too. I thought it was weird that Solo was never available on Comixology. Weirder how this is the only issue now lol
Yea same here. I don't get why it's not all released.

Also. If you only read one Jonah Hex comic, read Jonah Hex 50 that is on sale. It's an amazing issue from a really great run

Edgar's ranked list of legendary X-Men run (that he's read)
Claremont Uncanny X-Men
Remender Uncanny X-Force
Morrison New X-Men
Whedon Astonishing X-Men
Bendis Uncanny/All New X-Men

Whedon run is the most consistent of the second place contenders I think. Otherworld mars UXF, rushed Kordey art is a hell of a black mark on New X-Men, Bendis run got stuck in crossover hell.

Need to finish reading: X-Statix. Will probably slot in nicely into those great legendary runs. Probably above Bendis run.

Worst run: Chuck Austen

Don't bother with: Ultimate X-Men. Any of it really. Brubaker X-Men. Just meh. Gillen Uncanny. Filled wall to wall with Greg Land art. Lee/Kirby Uncanny X-Men. Nothing interesting here imo

Don't get the hype: Aaron run on Wolverine

Need to read: Peter David X-Factor, Aaron Wolverine and the X-Men, Claremont Wolverine, Carey X-Men

Special shoutout to: Magneto Testament, God Loves Man Kills

Best arcs: Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past, Apocalypse Solution, Riot at Xavier's, E for Extinction

Claremont Uncanny X-Men
Remender Uncanny X-Force
Morrison New X-Men
Whedon Astonishing X-Men

Whedon run is the most consistent of the second place contenders I think. Otherworld mars UXF, rushed Kordey art is a hell of a black mark on New X-Men, Bendis run got stuck in crossover hell.

Need to finish reading: X-Statix. Will probably slot in nicely into those great legendary runs. Probably above Bendis run.

Don't bother with: Ultimate X-Men. Any of it really. Brubaker X-Men. Just meh. Gillen Uncanny. Filled wall to wall with Greg Land art. Lee/Kirby Uncanny X-Men. Nothing interesting here imo

Need to read: Peter David X-Factor, Aaron Wolverine and the X-Men, Claremont Wolverine, Carey X-Men

Best arcs: Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past, Apocalypse Solution, Riot at Xavier's, E for Extinction
I like this.

X-bros for lyfe

And early Ultimate is...decent

Claremont Uncanny X-Men
Remender Uncanny X-Force
Morrison New X-Men
Whedon Astonishing X-Men

No lies detected.

Claremont Uncanny X-Men
Remender Uncanny X-Force
Morrison New X-Men
Whedon Astonishing X-Men

Peter David's xfactor (the most Maddox recent run) is so great. It does suffer with a dark era of terrible art but it finds its way through it. What's funny is I don't really consider it as an Xmen book. I should but it doesn't really read or feel like it.

Also Carey's Xmen run is really really good. Wish it lasted longer but events messed it up. And Aaron's run got wasted in event nonsense too. Notice a trend?

VanWinkle

So is X-Statix an Xmen comic then? I have been wanting to buy the omnibus for that for awhile.

Also, what about Inhuman (the Charles Soule series)? Is that a standalone thing and does it have anything to do with Xmen?

Rhaknar

So is X-Statix an Xmen comic then? I have been wanting to buy the omnibus for that for awhile.

Also, what about Inhuman (the Charles Soule series)? Is that a standalone thing and does it have anything to do with Xmen?

Technically yes its a X book since its a follow up to X-Force. I really need to read X-statix.

Inhuman is a...Inhumans book >_>

Xstatix is an Xmen comic. But it's such it's own thing so distant from the mainline books it feels like it's own thing. It's like an even more extreme thing to what I described with PADs xfactor series

VanWinkle

Technically yes its a X book since its a follow up to X-Force. I really need to read X-statix.

Inhuman is a...Inhumans book >_>

I'm not the most well-versed person in the Marvel universe. I've pretty much been sticking to Marvel NOW stuff and a few other things (Marvels, Runaways, Ultimates, etc).

Pretty much I don't know anything about any X-stuff or Inhumans. Like zero. Except for the Xmen stuff in the movies. I find X-Force, X-Men, X-Statix, X-Factor, Uncanny Xmen, All New Xmen, and so on very daunting.

I'm not the most well-versed person in the Marvel universe. I've pretty much been sticking to Marvel NOW stuff and a few other things (Marvels, Runaways, Ultimates, etc).

Pretty much I don't know anything about any X-stuff or Inhumans. Like zero. Except for the Xmen stuff in the movies. I find X-Force, X-Men, X-Statix, X-Factor, Uncanny Xmen, All New Xmen, and so on very daunting.
Just read Jenkins/Lee's 12 issue mini called Inhumans. And then you're good to go. They're only other interesting moments since then for me is when they got into the Marvel cosmic events like the War of Kings.

Inhuman is an Inhumans book. A good one, too, but Inhumans nontheless. I recommend it.

Tizoc

Morrison's new x-men
Whedon's astonishing x-men
Milligan's x-statix
Peter david's x-factor

Pick any one of those and you are good to go

tim1138

Claremont Uncanny X-Men
Remender Uncanny X-Force
Morrison New X-Men
Whedon Astonishing X-Men

This post is 100% true fact.
You really should read PAD X-Factor though, it's really good.

tim1138

Is Peter David's X-Factor the one with Havok, Polaris, and Multiple Man?

Nah it is the one with Madrox and strong guy

The correct answer is both.

PAD had a short run back in the 90s with the Havok, Polaris, Strong Guy, Multiple Man, Quicksilver, Wolfsbane, and occasionally Random lineup.

He was the writer when the book relaunched in this 2000s and initially focused on Multiple Man and Strong Guy.

All caught up on Marvel so I'll share some thoughts that don't really matter.

Favorites: The Vision, Spider-Woman, Spider-Man, Invincible Iron-Man, and Old Man Logan

Overrated: Power Man and Iron Fist, The Mighty Thor and Doctor Strange. These weren't bad, but expected a lot more

Underrated: Captain Marvel, All-New Wolverine, Totally Awesome Hulk, and Howard the Duck

Crap I just hated: All-New Hawkeye, Astonishing Ant-Man, New Avengers, Karnak

Haven't read Squirel Girl or Ms Marvel yet because I wanted to catch up on the pre-SW stuff first.

Overall I'd say ANAD has been pretty damn great.

Also caught back up on Saga since I fell off after the third trade. I forgot how good Saga was...

I need to read some X-Men too. Have Wolverine and the X-Men an X-Statix on my to read list. (To be honest, all the movies have actually put me off X-men a bit.)

Started reading Cerebus yesterday. Not quite sure what to make of it yet. Have to decide if it is being played straight or is it a parody/satire...

I can't stop listening to this song.

Which Beatles album is this from?

Top Bottom