• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

I'm finally caught up on comics - more or less, still need to read Sunstone and Tokyo Ghost - and I'm gearing up to game but I'm experiencing backlog paralysis, gahhhh

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'm sure it won't be any worse than X-men comics.

giphy.gif

reading sinestro corps wars

now, i've hated on shit like qward before, but... the blue guys have a giant fucking comic book of prophecy and they play that shit straight? seriously?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I've always considered the X-Men movies great

reviews mean shit to me, I loved BvS for example

shingi70

Banned
Yes, very! Now there's something I can be positive about! Here's hoping it's at least substantial enough that we get a good look at the actual game engine and whatnot since we've already done some solid waiting on news, and doesn't end up like those reveals where we just get, like, a few seconds of walking around the opening town...

Was considering getting up early for it, but I guess there's no need and I can just watch it when I get up normally...

I have to get up early that morning anyway so i'll watch it on my commute. Been playing the series with my girlfriend and been slogging through X since I've played it once before. Picking up the Honnen games and hoping to have all three GB games done by Sun and Moon release.

Oh, I'm not getting into it with you guys on BvS. Nope.

I know. I have to push all my shipping energies into ensuring Jessica and Luke stay together. I swear to god if they are broken up, I will rage in the streets and stop pulling all Marvel comics

I said this when they broke up MJ and Peter and look at me now

Ponn

Banned
I need to wait to see Civil War for reasons but i'm considering a comic movie day and seeing Civil War and X-men apoc one after the other.

My Gotham Central Omni, Dr. Strange HC and Joker Endgame HC shipped from IST. I'm waiting for the Lazarus HC vol. 2 to come out before making my 2nd order and I was going to order that and the GoTG DnA Omni but being disappointed in the AoA omnibus i'm hesitant now. Anyone get the GoTG Omni can confirm if its okay quality wise?

Zombine

Banned
I saw everything I needed to see in BvS, including
some dude in a wheelchair blowing the fuck up, and Batman legit setting a dude on fire.

Movie of the year.

Millar 8/10

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Secret Wars #7 - Bit of a clusterfuck, and ignores the tie ins which is a big no-no for me. The fact that im well past caring abiut SW doeant help.

Vision #1 - holy shitballs this was everything you guys said it was. Absolutely fantastic and creepy, I loved both the writing, the story and the art.

Sandfox

Secret Wars #7 - Bit of a clusterfuck, and ignores the tie ins which is a big no-no for me. The fact that im well past caring abiut SW doeant help.

Vision #1 - holy shitballs this was everything you guys said it was. Absolutely fantastic and creepy, I loved both the writing, the story and the art.
How does it ignore the tie-ins? I can't remember that issue too well.

How's Busiek's Invincible Iron Man? My LCS has an omnibus and I'm curious.

Oh, I'm not getting into it with you guys on BvS. Nope.

I said this when they broke up MJ and Peter and look at me now
I said I'd stop pulling. Not reading. Otherwise I'd have to stop reading X-books. I can't do that.

shingi70

Banned
BvS is a 8 out of 10 for me. I like it but it's edited pretty poorly and with the expection of a moment here and there I can't forgive the portrayal of Superman in the film.

It was a nine my first view and then on the second I gave it a 7 or so. I almost gad a heart attack during the Knightmare sequence shaking my GF and going PARADEMONS!

Wonder Woman looks like its gonna be hot.
new-wonder-woman-footage-drops-plot-hints-for-solo-movie-dawn-of-justice-802966.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
How does it ignore the tie-ins? I can't remember that issue too well.

Both
Apocalypse and Maestro
are in the battle and they were taken care of in their respective tie ins (
Age of Apocalypse and Future Imperfect
)

Zombine

Banned
Legit take any superhero, put them in a World War Whatever setting and you have a movie I want to see. Wonder Woman should be dope. Aquaman is going to be shit because Jason Mamoa isn't particularly exciting.

My bet is that in terms of fun per minute Suicide Squad is probably going to beat Civil War, and I'm an unabashed Marvel fanboy.

Both
Apocalypse and Maestro
are in the battle and they were taken care of in their respective tie ins (
Age of Apocalypse and Future Imperfect
)

Isn't that down to the main sw issues being delayed to heck, thus throwing everything outta whack?

shingi70

Banned
Legit take any superhero, put them in a World War Whatever setting and you have a movie I want to see. Wonder Woman should be dope. Aquaman is going to be shit because Jason Mamoa isn't particularly exciting.

My bet is that in terms of fun per minute Suicide Squad is probably going to beat Civil War, and I'm an unabashed Marvel fanboy.

I have faith Mamoa can pull it off, but I see the Aquaman movies ending up like Thor, serviceable but the big draw being the supporting cast less so then the main hero.

Whew so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fmV0kziFqE

Duress

Fraction's Hawkeye was overrated. That's right, I said it. Come at me, bros! Pitch forks and every thing.

It was good, though.

Rhaknar

Fraction's Hawkeye was overrated. That's right, I said it. Come at me, bros! Pitch forks and every thing.

It was good, though.

Its ok, I feel the same towards Remender's Uncanny X-Force. To each its own I guess.

Except for Bachalo haters. Those are probably lizard aliens in human disguises

I would take that bet without having even seen Civil War.

Suicide Squad will be average, at best. The Queen song in the trailer carries it. Mute it and you're left with nothing. I'll be more than happy to eat my words if I'm wrong.
I won't be.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Emphasis on 'bias' in my post mate, and also note that I never stated equal or better ;), but I think it's improper to say that only Ennis does relationships and related characterizations quite well.
Going back to it though, James Roberts' Transformers MTMTE has some great characterization in it, and now that I think about it, Mike Mignola (for one) has done some wonderful moments too-

And who knows there may even be other comic book writers who fit the bill that we don't know of~

Oh yeah, for sure. And my reply was fully genuine, there was no disdain meant whatsoever. I realize that could've been inferred.
I definitely don't think Ennis is the only one who does relationships/dialogue well, but I do personally believe he's the best at it.

I haven't read Transformers, but I've heard really great things about it.
And Hellboy is one of my all-time favorites. I absolutely love it. However, even though the dialogue is one of my favorite parts of it, I wouldn't necessarily say (imo) it has the realism that Ennis has. And most importantly, I don't think Mignola does relationship dialogue as well as Ennis (though to be fair, I've only read up to the second Library Edition of Hellboy, so that could change I suppose).

Lil Gotham is getting a Deluxe Edition OHC later this year. I'm definitely getting that. Loved the series.

Wait what!? Hell yes! I'm so getting that.
But also, dammit. Now I'll have to either sell or give away my TPBs since I'll be double-dipping.

Zombine

Banned
You guys really should read The Fifth Beatle. It's one of my favorite comics of all time. It's even better if you're a fan of The Beatles.

JTripper

You guys really should read The Fifth Beatle. It's one of my favorite comics of all time. It's even better if you're a fan of The Beatles.

Great book. I saw the guys behind it during a panel at NYCC and was impressed by how much research and work was done for the story and artwork.

Zombine

Banned
You know who doesn't like the Beatles? Shapeshifting lizard people.

There's people who hate them. They exist and they are wrong. You can hate the choices that some of them made (Lennon was a pile of hot garbage as a person), but in regards to their craft they are still the best and they will never occur again.

PsychBat!

Banned
From 63-70 as the Beatles they released 13 main albums. Every single one of them are classics. It's unheard of. It will never happen again.

I'm not wrong.

I was listening to the song

you know

by John Lennon
I thought it would a be nice and clever joke :(

It's been a hard day's night man

Zombine

Banned
I have a hard time picking my favorite Beatles album. Every time I feel like I start to zero in as Abbey Road as my favorite, I remember some of my favorite tracks are on Magical Mystery Tour and Sgt. Pepper.

Rhaknar

Uncanny X-men #600 - wet fart ending to Bendis's run, although it was cool to see Beast being shat on. But for such a long issue nothing much happened or was concluded. And Cyclops's protest or whatever it was felt meaningless.

ANAD Hawkeye #1 - this wasnt much better. They are still going with the split timelines, except its present/future this time around, and it still does little for me. This book used to be fun, now its just a bummer.

JTripper

A Hard Day's Night is usually my go-to pick for favorite album discussions but really they all just resonate with me differently; all in a positive way.

I don't usually think about Rubber Soul that much when it comes to the big albums everyone talks about but every time I listen to it again I think wow this album is fucking great.

Top Bottom