• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

I can't get into Crossed. Too extreme for me to be honest.

Same. Though I read the first trade of Crossed +100 by Alan Moore, which takes place 100 years after the outbreak, and it's pretty interesting reading. The dialogue is fucked beyond all recognition of modern speech, though. So it takes a bit to get used to.

http://www.gerardway.com/post/144161604300/a-gentle-roar

YOUNG ANIMAL UPDATE

tumblr_inline_o6z9m0jqHJ1sb733s_500.jpg

LOOK AT THIS SHIT

I AM SO INTO THIS
Nick Derington art is nice. His sketches are all pretty ace. He'd kill it on FF

Zombine

Banned
Same. Though I read the first trade of Crossed +100 by Alan Moore, which takes place 100 years after the outbreak, and it's pretty interesting reading. The dialogue is fucked beyond all recognition of modern speech, though. So it takes a bit to get used to.

Read fuck it, made me hate Moore. Dude is beyond out of fuck touch.

this is intentional.

Millar/Quitely Authority is rad as shit but gets less and less rad every arc because Quitely draws less and less of it, even though he gets replaced with very capable artists like Chris Weston and Art Adams

True, but that Jack Kirby presents the Avengers vs The Authority is dope

also that one issue Grant Morrison ghost wrote. You can tell he wrote it because the characters stop sounding like Mark Millar characters and also Religimon, the marketable non-denominational faith product

religimon.jpg

I placed an order for Heavy Metal last year to get the Jack Kirby Lord of Light issues. (#276).

They just sent me Morrison's first issue (#280). Everything else in the middle is missing. -_-

yea, the early stuff seems to be mix of both (leaning towards parody), insofar that it's basically a Conan the Barbarian story played straight other than the fact it stars a goofy looking aardvark

Good to know it wasn't just me missing the point. Still pretty interesting as of now. Will at least give the first volume a shot.

Zombine

Banned
Guys leave Millar alone and he'll get you a movie deal.
He's single handedly bringing our favorite artists out of poverty. They no longer have to live in their own filth.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oh found my Fear Itself cheat sheet with all the tie ins and what I had read...man this event is another huge one. At least I can resume it from where I left off now, not that I remember much about what I read of it.

True, but that Jack Kirby presents the Avengers vs The Authority is dope

also that one issue Grant Morrison ghost wrote. You can tell he wrote it because the characters stop sounding like Mark Millar characters and also Religimon, the marketable non-denominational faith product

religimon.jpg

That is SO Morrison.

Also, is that Capullo?

Man, fuck everything. The symbiote really did forget who Spider-Man was because of fucking One More Day? Fuck that. Disney Infinity canceled???? Fuuuuuck that.

frye

religimon.jpg

i'm still mad i didn't catch this the first time

and yeah, that first arc is fuckin fire

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I don't care if that's a fake spoiler, it makes me nervous.

I'm just sitting here at work refreshing my Amazon tracking page. Not sure what's better, getting home before it gets there or the other way around.

the Nobrow Press FCBD book is awesome

also it's weird that a Gilbert Hernandez/Darwyn Cooke comic came out at the end of last year and literally no one read/talked about it

Messi

Matteo Lolli told me on twitter that he will be back on Deapool's ongoing very soon. I assume he means after this current arc he has drawn is over. That is super cool news. I hope he becomes the regular artist.

Owzers

Finally time to sit down and play some overwatch before the nba game starts....Failed to connect to servers.

Hmmmmm. I can either keep pressing X or move on.

tim1138

also it's weird that a Gilbert Hernandez/Darwyn Cooke comic came out at the end of last year and literally no one read/talked about it

Twilight Children?
It was solid, a cool mystery with great art. I think I was the only one hear buying it.

I think I'm also the only pulling Art Ops.

Well it seems I have a few minutes so I'd like to take a moment to sell you guys on Weavers.

This book is really fucking cool. I don't think I've ever read a book with Dylan Burnett on art before but he's got chops. The monstrous elements of the book are creepy and gory and the reactions of our main protagonist to them are believable and relatable. They really sell you on the story.

With Spurrier writing the book it should come as no surprise that it is a fun, engaging read. The gist here is the most powerful criminal organization is actually controlled by these symbiotic (parasitic?) spider monsters/aliens/interdimensional beings/whatever. But the abilities they grant to their hosts are rarely spider-like (the one exception is the many eyes the more powerful members of the mob possess); they are gruesome and freaky. We experience all this through the eyes of the mobs latest unwitting recruit; he's barely a sketch at this point but I can't wait to learn more about his motives.

Anyway, highly recommended. It's Sopranos meets Lovecraft.

frye

personally, i'm probably never buying another Darwyn Cooke comic ever again and after Slayground i'm not particularly fussed about reading another one either

Messi

I see Before Watchmen: Silk Spectre is on sale. I have never read Watchmen and only watched the movie but I see this was written by Darwyn Cooke but more importantly the art is all by Amanda Conner. It is beautiful. But is it worth picking up as a standalone story?

Owzers

Well it seems I have a few minutes so I'd like to take a moment to sell you guys on Weavers.

This book is really fucking cool. I don't think I've ever read a book with Dylan Burnett on art before but he's got chops. The monstrous elements of the book are creepy and gory and the reactions of our main protagonist to them are believable and relatable. They really sell you on the story.

With Spurrier writing the book it should come as no surprise that it is a fun, engaging read. The gist here is the most powerful criminal organization is actually controlled by these symbiotic (parasitic?) spider monsters/aliens/interdimensional beings/whatever. But the abilities they grant to their hosts are rarely spider-like (the one exception is the many eyes the more powerful members of the mob possess); they are gruesome and freaky. We experience all this through the eyes of the mobs latest unwitting recruit; he's barely a sketch at this point but I can't wait to learn more about his motives.

Anyway, highly recommended. It's Sopranos meets Lovecraft.

Is it a Spider-Man book? I believe it's a Spider-Man book. If anyone wears a headband Marvel should sue.

Man, Batman '66 has such great art but the writing just feels like a collection of played out memes after a couple of issues. I don't think I can finish this trade.

I did jump ahead to read the Colleen Cover issue though. So pretty.

ElNarez

Banned
I see Before Watchmen: Silk Spectre is on sale. I have never read Watchmen and only watched the movie but I see this was written by Darwyn Cooke but more importantly the art is all by Amanda Conner. It is beautiful. But is it worth picking up as a standalone story?

I literally bought all of Before Watchmen in floppy singles.

No it's not. It's interesting formally (both books Cooke worked on try and keep the 9-panel grid), but the story is super-forgettable, and there's one bit of super-iffy symbolism that you may or may not object to.

Twilight Children?
It was solid, a cool mystery with great art. I think I was the only one hear buying it.

I think I'm also the only pulling Art Ops.
how's Art Ops? Allred is one of my favs but i didn't hear much good about that, and it's not like i'm starved for Allred books
personally, i'm probably never buying another Darwyn Cooke comic ever again and after Slayground i'm not particularly fussed about reading another one either
harsh but probably fair

i still have yet to read The Hunter but it's a lower priority for me than the actual Parker novel i have
I don't think i have ever or plan on wasting my money this badly

keep in mind this past weekend i rented Victor Frankenstein, kept it for 4 days and returned it without watching it

Messi

No it's not. It's interesting formally (both books Cooke worked on try and keep the 9-panel grid), but the story is super-forgettable, and there's one bit of super-iffy symbolism that you may or may not object to.

oh...ok :(

Top Bottom