• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
If i didnt read books because I dont like the characters I would have never touched anything avengers related

On the X-Men front, most people have said the essentials, but Im also gonna give a shoutouts to Brian K Vaughn's short-then-extended run on Ultimate X-Men. He was supposed to just be a relief pitcher doing a four issue story until Bryan Singer(yes, that Bryan Singer) was to come on board and write the book. Course, that kept getting delayed(and eventually didnt pan out), so BKV stayed on board for 20 issues. There are a few stand-alone arcs that get tied together in a big Magneto story at the end. BKV is quite good about telling accessible stories about young people feared and hated because they're different, so the cast feels likable and well-rounded for the first time in the series after Millar and Bendis' caricatures. It also has some very fine artwork from Brandon Peterson, Andy Kubert, and especially Stuart Immonen, who did a year's worth of issues with him.

Seek out the other X-Books first, but if you're still in the mood for some breezy well constructed X-Men team books, give BKV's Ultimate X-Men run a try, I think you'll like it.
I read like the first couple arcs of Ultimate. I keep meaning to go back and read all of it, despite it being Ultimate. It was pretty much the only Ultimate stuff I've read, aside from the #1 of Ultimate Spider-Man (FCBD issue), Ultimatum (god save my soul), and Ultimate Human.

I enjoyed some of it. It's weird going back and playing X-Men Legends and Ultimate Alliance and having to remember that the Ultimate universe was not only popular, but being pushed.
I just checked out what's included in the third Claremont omnibus and y'all should jump on that before it goes out of print and you're not stuck waiting for a reprint in a few years. It has the all of the Brood stuff, God Loves Man Kills, that four issue Wolverine miniseries he did with Frank Miller, and the Magik miniseries. That's a ton of great stuff.
Wel shiiiiiiiiieeeeeeet

Do people actually read Archie? I see it brought up and hear about stuff from it, but I feel like I never hear anyone talk about actually reading it.
I started reading Mega Man during the arc right before the whole Sonic/Mega Man Universe crossover, and was super bummed out that it got cancelled almost immediately after. The small amount I read was legit good comics. I tried to order the first OHC through my LCS, but apparently it was on back order. Not out of print, but back ordered. I'll have to find somewhere cheap online or something.
Ok my bad, completely agree with your thoughts on Axis. I was really disappointed his series ended with that garbage.

And Aaron's Wolverine and the X-men run was amazing! In my book it goes Wolv & the X-men > All New X-men > Uncanny X-force as my 3 favorite X titles of the last decade. But then again, I'm a huge fan of Bachalos art too lol.

Also about to place another IST order soon and am already picking up Absolute Batman & Robin and Batman Inc. but I need a recommendation on what else to get.

The Authority (Ellis & Millar), 52, Locke & Key, Or The Planetary. Haven't read any of them yet and not sure which to pick up first.
LOCKE AND KEY! LOCKE AND KEY! LOCKE AND KEY!
The fuck is that?

VanWinkle

The characters of Gotham Central are amazing. I am so mad they put Montoya and Allen in the Gotham show. Don't get me wrong, I actually love the show, but they had ZERO justice to them done in it. Luckily that was an early season one thing and they stopped.

Really liked Illuminati #1, the cartoonish art was great and very unexpected. I assume the book is already canceled?
Secret best book of ANAD, and yeah I think it's already cancelled. If you enjoyed the first, it only gets better. The Standoff tie-in issue is amazing.

The characters of Gotham Central are amazing. I am so mad they put Montoya and Allen in the Gotham show. Don't get me wrong, I actually love the show, but they had ZERO justice to them done in it. Luckily that was an early season one thing and they stopped.

Montoya especially didn't make sense. If she were a detective when Bruce was that young, wouldn't she be a granny by the time she shows up in the comics?

manfestival

Hello people, I need advice on what moon knight series to read. I have always wanted to read to learn about this character and then I read the first issue of the new series but it seems very heavy on having past knowledge of the character.

Agreed. It's pretty clear they regret introducing them and the MCU (Major Crimes Unit, people), they've been totally absent all through this season. They can probably turn the characters around if they want to, but they'll probably just pretend it never happened.

What is the time line for Gotham central? Distant future?

Uh, no? Regular time, it's just pre-N52 continuity so stuff like Gordon retiring had already happened.

Duress

So I finished watching the recent Fantastic Four movie, and it was bad. The film was going at a nice pace, but then they decided to shove every thing in the end, because they didn't have any film.

They really had no idea what made FF4 great. The character personalities weren't even on spot. Not much action, not much exploration. Just a bunch of stuff about being family sticking together.

Hello people, I need advice on what moon knight series to read. I have always wanted to read to learn about this character and then I read the first issue of the new series but it seems very heavy on having past knowledge of the character.

Bendis/Maleev run and Ellis/Shalvey. Only two runs I've read and they were both great.

Goddamn it Marvel :/

I know right? They were going in really fucking cool directions, too.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oh shit, ANAD Wolverine is my jam! Awesome art, Laura is great and I loved the end stinger, I want to know more. Great first issue. Even the little flashback with Logan was handled nicely.

Loved this bit

why-you-cant-hug-the-new-wolverine-3.jpg

Owzers

I'm joining the All-New Wolverine #1 fun, it made me remember that i never read the whole Logan dying thing awhile ago in other books that no one cares about. This was a fairly strong start, i like when comics take off in the direction they want to go as opposed to Extraordinary X-Men that felt like a lot of " I can't believe Cyclops did all these things, all these terrible things!" without ever doing anything itself.

Nudull

Banned
Why can't we have a long-running villain team book, damn it ;_;

Thunderbolts is gonna get canned too, isn't it?

Rhaknar

You dont like anything tho. You and Sillymonkey should make a tag team called The Negative Nancies, and compete in lucha libre

Just flipped through the last few chapters of Dark Angel Saga and HOLY CRAP I forgot how beautiful Jerome Opena and Dean White go together.

This is some poetry in art form shit.

Tizoc

I've played most of the Assassin Creed games so I doubt this very much.

Black Panther for me. Really interested in seeing the book develop.

If this is mediocre, the world needs more mediocre.

Looking forward to Black Panther #2 today. Think I'll re-read the opening issue to refresh my memory and because it gives me an excuse to read it again.

All those pretty visuals are wasted on you just roaming around and cover shooty banging people.
I'm gonna need an actual immersive game to get out of this funk.
I am rather enjoying it, but I enjoyed Rise of Toom Braider as well and that game had its flaws. It's one saving grace was the bow and arrow though, so if UC4 had a bow and arrow with which I can fling things at people's faces I'd rate it higher.
As is, it's a decent game buuuut, I've played better :V

BigDes

Just read Thunderbolts 1

Pros: Its the actual Thunderbolts again
It was fucking crazy

Cons: I had to check the cover a number of times to make sure Liefeld wasn't doing the art because my god some of it was incredibly like his stuff

All those pretty visuals are wasted on you just roaming around and cover shooty banging people.
I am rather enjoying it, but I enjoyed Rise of Toom Braider as well and that game had its flaws. It's one saving grace was the bow and arrow though, so if UC4 had a bow and arrow with which I can fling things at people's faces I'd rate it higher.

I'm enjoying the combat more in 4 than the previous games. Drake's movement feels a lot better and the shooting feels more responsive. Using stealth is more viable and a lot more satisfactory too.

I wouldn't be against a bow and arrow though.

Hagi

Were you expecting more than another Uncharted game? I doubt it'll be perfect (haven't bought it yet) but I think I'm going to end up enjoying it as I really like the story and characters from this series.

Just read Thunderbolts 1

Pros: Its the actual Thunderbolts again
It was fucking crazy

Cons: I had to check the cover a number of times to make sure Liefeld wasn't doing the art because my god some of it was incredibly like his stuff

I honestly don't know why but I loved the first issue. Just the right amount of nineties craziness and ugly art.

Top Bottom