• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Zombine

Banned
latest

screen-shot-2014-08-11-at-2-45-13-pm.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Catching up on Star Wars stuff, read Darth Vader #9-12, its so good. I loved the stuff with the investigator and Vader subtly keeping him off track, and I was sure
Aphra
was going to die at least twice lol. Apparently it continues in Vader Down so hopefully that one is also good.

Catching up on Star Wars stuff, read Darth Vader #9-12, its so good. I loved the stuff with the investigator and Vader subtly keeping him off track, and I was sure
Aphra
was going to die at least twice lol. Apparently it continues in Vader Down so hopefully that one is also good.

It is! Vader Down is terrific.

diaspora

One of the better parts about modern Spider-Man IMO is probably his attempt to help/rehabilitate former villains with stable employment. I don't even mean at Parker Industries too, he was doing it at Horizon.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
One of the better parts about modern Spider-Man IMO is probably his attempt to help/rehabilitate former villains with stable employment. I don't even mean at Parker Industries too, he was doing it at Horizon.

Im still waiting for a book with reformed villains as superheroes but as a proper second chance and not as government dogs.

Like Titania was just trying to live her life in Illuminati #1 for example

diaspora

Im still waiting for a book with reformed villains as superheroes but as a proper second chance and not as government dogs.

Like Titania was just trying to live her life in Illuminati #1 for example

Clayton as a reformed villain is a researcher for Parker Industries iirc, Cardiac's a doctor I think now. It's been handled better in Spider-Man than other books tbh. There was some guy with magnetic gloves that robbed banks and had his life destroyed when he left jail and Peter offered him an entry-level position on probation at Horizon Labs.

Rhaknar

Clayton as a reformed villain is a researcher for Parker Industries iirc, Cardiac's a doctor I think now. It's been handled better in Spider-Man than other books tbh.

Porcupine in Spider Woman!

I'm reading the new Heavy Metal and I'm digging it so far but I just got to this ugly comic with Microsoft Word effects on the text and panels and a meme just pasted into it and I don't know if I can keep going

Ross61

Jesus, I forgot how good this recent Martian Manhunter run was/is. I'm on issue #9 after a small hiatus and it's like I've never quit reading.

My goal is to finish all of Cyborg, Constantine, Black Canary, Doctor Fate, Grayson, Midnighter, Gotham Academy, and Batgirl before Rebirth. Wish me luck brehs.

Saw Captain America: Civil War. Thought it was pretty fantastic. I felt that Scott and Peter were unnecessary though. Only felt like they were there for the big fight., though they were still extremely entertaining. Peter and T'challa were both on fucking point. Felt the CG was a little spotty at points.

That said I fucking loved every moment.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I will fight for Squirrel Girl as hard as I fought for Pulado's She-Hulk. There's nothing wrong with art that's out there, especially when the writing is so fun. I'm more than happy to see some goofy looking ladies, not everyone has to be house-style boob socked supermodels. I will say I don't care anything about Koi Boy or the other guy though.

Squirrel Girl Mouth is the new She Hulk Eyes

Saw Captain America: Civil War. Thought it was pretty fantastic. I felt that Scott and Peter were unnecessary though. Only felt like they were there for the big fight., though they were still extremely entertaining. Peter and T'challa were both on fucking point. Felt the CG was a little spotty at points.

That said I fucking loved every moment.

Maybe not necessary to the plot, but definitely necessary for the film. Brought some levity to that scene as well as some much needed variety in terms of powers, and both of them walked away with the whole sequence. The film is arguably more fun for having them included.

Tizoc

Darth Vader and Southern B. were great this week.
B. Panther's slow, but the last book I enjoyed that had a slow pace was JMS' Thor.
Really hope this book will deliver.

Jesus, I forgot how good this recent Martian Manhunter run was/is. I'm on issue #9 after a small hiatus and it's like I've never quit reading.

My goal is to finish all of Cyborg, Constantine, Black Canary, Doctor Fate, Grayson, Midnighter, Gotham Academy, and Batgirl before Rebirth. Wish me luck brehs.

Mr Biscuits <3

I fell off of Cyborg and Doctor Fate pretty hard, thought both were pretty bad.

Hickman Avengers prologue

New Avengers (2010) #7-#8 - Started reading this by mistake. (Thank you, Marvel re-numbering). Looks like fun, might have to revisit this run.

New Avengers (2006) #7-#10 - Nothing special in its own right but introduced an interesting new character. Lets see where this goes.

The Road to Civil War: Illuminati - This was a little more interesting. T'Challa being the only sensible one. Reed Richards and Tony continue to be dicks. I finally see how this connects to sending Hulk off world, where we get Planet Hulk.

Civil War - I think someone hacked marvel.com and replaced the 7 issues with some Zach Snyder re-writes of the comics. I need to track down the originals.

The main Panther/Namor beef comes from AvX. To understand the X-Men's side of things though you'll need to at least know about the events of House of M, and the Messiah Complex, Messiah War and Second Coming saga (so you know who tf Hope is and why she's such a big deal for the mutant populous). I don't recommend reading the latter three arcs though.... I didn't like em.

Anyways after that I think you're good to stick with Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers run. I didn't reading anything else Avengers wise prior to picking his run up and still understood everything. And fucking loved it.

Still deciding on whether I want to read AvX. I might just look up the summaries on wikipedia or something.

Going back and reloading always fixes any issues I have

Thanks, I've been doing this and it seems to work.

I actually stopped watching AoS right in the middle of the two-part S2 finale because I realized I didn't like any of the characters, I didn't care what happened to them and I didn't care how the story resolved at all. It had a brief uptick post-Winter Soldier but none of the Inhumans stuff worked for me. When they became completely central to the plot I checked out.

echo knows what he is talking about. AoS is like the group of kids at school trying to act cool by dropping names because one of them got invited to a popular party once.

shingi70

Banned
Eaerh-2 Society is pretty dope book that no one really talks about. It's like All Star Squadren where they've been doing their own thing and it's less about superheroes as it it is Different factions with heroes backing each one. Jimnez kills it on art with his Cartoonish yet still realistic proportions, and the cast is super Diverse with an ample mix of different races, Genders and Body types.

Still deciding on whether I want to read AvX. I might just look up the summaries on wikipedia or something.
Yeah it's not a vital read for Hickman's run. I'd read a summary too if I were in your shoes, because I re-read it again recently and didn't like it that much at all.

Eaerh-2 Society is pretty dope book that no one really talks about. It's like All Star Squadren where they've been doing their own thing and it's less about superheroes as it it is Different factions with heroes backing each one. Jimnez kills it on art with his Cartoonish yet still realistic proportions, and the cast is super Diverse with an ample mix of different races, Genders and Body types.
I'm still salty they didn't give more time to develop Hawkgirl, GL, Flash and Dr. Fate before bringing back new versions of the Trinity. <.<

I don't even remember if Alan's fiance's death was ever fully explained. It's been so long since I read the series, and I didn't even bother touching World's End.

TheFlow

Banned
Yo Spider Gwen is on sale for 5 bucks for the first volume. I know you guys are split on her but that is a fucking steal

also where do I start with silk and spider woman

shingi70

Banned
Yeah it's not a vital read for Hickman's run. I'd read a summary too if I were in your shoes, because I re-read it again recently and didn't like it that much at all.

I'm still salty they didn't give more time to develop Hawkgirl, GL, Flash and Dr. Fate before bringing back new versions of the Trinity. <.<

I don't even remember if Alan's fiance's death was ever fully explained. It's been so long since I read the series, and I didn't even bother touching World's End.

The book has slowed down and been able to give most of the cast ample spotlights and going some interesting places with the Earth-2 citizens starting to hate Wonders as they're called. Then you get guys like Flash who's just tired and just wants to stop because so many people beg for his help.

Voror

So ended up reading a bunch of ANAD Marvel comics last night, which was interesting since it'd been a while since I sat down and read anything recent after burning out to a degree a while back.

Read:

Ultimates: Really digging this one so far and I like the team a lot as well as how it's not too large. The stuff with Galactus is very cool and the meta commentary about bringing change in comics was something I enjoyed. The big problem going on is also a really awesome one for how out there it is for them to really solve.

This is only the second book I've read from Ewing but I'm really liking him thus far. The other thing I read by him was Loki: Agent of Asgard, which also dealt a lot with the concept of change and how hard it can be in comics (sort of a recurring theme since Gillen's handling of Loki). Liked the direction he took Loki in there too.

Moon Knight: I'm really digging this one so far and didn't even feel that lost despite knowing next to nothing about the character. The whole notion that none of it might be real and just in his head is an interesting one. I'm leaning to it being real but with perhaps some of it being in his head.

Also found out Ellis did a short run with the character not too long ago. Is that worth checking out?

Karnak: This was pretty cool and Karnak's ability is a pretty interesting one for how simple it sounds at first. I like that he's not a nice guy or anything at all, but that it's just sort of part of his nature with how he views the world.

The fact it's Ellis also likely means this will likely be a short run, which I can always appreciate.

Power Man and Iron Fist: This one's pretty fun I think and the banter between Danny and Luke is fun to read. The interactions with the various villains have been pretty fun to read as well.

Doctor Strange: For the most part I like this one, though some aspects to Strange seem off in some odd way. The whole thing about what food he eats was a pretty weird thing to retcon in there (I'm assuming it's a retcon), though one of the themes here seems to be about the price of using magic at all and how there is always one.

Villains are alright though not that complex. You can kind of see where he's coming from based on his backstory.

I feel like there's going to be another shoe that drops that makes it so what the villain has been doing is actually a very bad thing. I mean, without magic users, who is going to defend the world from the likes of Dormammu and Shuma-gorath? Unless his weapons can take them down too.

Invincible Iron Man: Only about three issues into this one, but I like it so far. Like the new armor design and him tying all the different modes into it makes for a logical upgrade. The stuff with
Doom
is pretty good too and I like the banter between them.

The reference to
Doomquest
was much appreciated too.

Black Panther: This one seems a bit slower thus far but you can kind of see where these different stories will intersect. BP's challenges are good ones to face and sort of show how for all its advances, Wakanda is no stranger to corruption and unfortunate measures.

Very curious to see where it all goes.

I do sort of wish some of those covers that feature action figure versions of the character were real. Like in Marvel Legends form.

shingi70

Banned
So in Power Man and iron Fist Danny complains that Jessica doesn't like him or something to that effect. He seems to forget in their first meeting he refused to let her see a critically injured Luke and then questioned if the baby was really his.

Top Bottom