• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Boogiepop

Are Cooke's Catwoman, Superman Confidential, and Detective Comics stuff on sale on Comixology worth it? (Also, damn, RIP)

Also, any of the non-Shutter stuff [url="https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=11285&lang=1]here[/url]anything I should be grabbing?

Hagi

Are Cooke's Catwoman, Superman Confidential, and Detective Comics stuff on sale on Comixology worth it? (Also, damn, RIP)

Also, any of the non-Shutter stuff [url="https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=11285&lang=1]here[/url]anything I should be grabbing?

Catwoman definitely is can't speak for the other two. His Parker stuff seems to be on sale as well if you are interested. I had to search for those on comixology though.

Messi

Buy all of Catwoman. It is absolutely incredible.

Have they ever said what kind of cancer Cooke had or are they keeping that private?

Edit: lung cancer according to USA Today
Edit: but they are sourcing his wife's statements for that and I don't see that in there. Sigh. I hate that you can't trust large news sites to get basic shit right
Edit: Fired off a letter at the author of the piece

VanWinkle

Gutted about Cooke. :-( Such a terrible, terrible loss. I'm going to read The New Frontier today and just remember how amazing he was.

Vic_Viper

How is Johns' Teen Titans omnibus? I've heard that you need an understanding of all the events that transpire during the book to understand a lot of what's going on. How does it stand up by itself?

Cooke was one of the greatest that this industry will ever see. He had a gift for capturing the Golden Age art style like no one else could. His art alone was what made me sit down and read New Frontier.

RIP Darwyn.

Yes to all three. But note the Detective comics stuff is a backup mini in the comics. But it's great. And it's the Rucka era of Tec which is awesome

Also everyone needs to read Jonah Hex 50. Such an amazing issue of that great run. They're written in a way where people can read each issue on its own

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I think I've decided to name my puppy Bandette due to her near perfect mask.

I also figure sillymonkey could fix the a few tiny flaws in her mask. Shoe polish should do the trick.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers #3
And so the secrets finally stop being secrets, and now we going in hard. Rita's not fucking around. Also, props to Zack for not being an idiot and making what is, quite literally the most valid point and observation.

Weavers #1
Boom! has been on a roll with me in the past year. Translucid, Burning Fields, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers has been good, and now this. Really cool first issue, and a fairly interesting concept. Will keep reading. Especially considering it's only six issues.

All-New X-Men #9
You know, I thought the Apocalypse Wars would be super played out and boring, but they've actually been doing a really good job with them. Also, fucking Timestick! Radical!

The Uncanny Inhumans #8
Another artist change? Accompanied by a storyline that...I'll be honest, I don't see this drama as going anywhere interesting. I liked it better when it was just two adults bangin'. "Hey Medusa, it's me Johnny." "Hey Johnny. I'm lonely. Rail me." "Sick." That was my perception of their relationship. I liked that better.

The Ultimates #7
Well fuck, this is actually a really solid foundation of the plot of Civil War 2. I still don't think the event will be any good, if that FCBD issue is any indicator. Also once again, a notion that will stand the test of time and never change, fuck the Shi'ar.

Thanks guys, got the $12 tier of the groupees bundle.

Some of the ones I'm most interested in though, like 30 Days of Night and Parker, are only available in epub and pdf here. Is epub a decent option for a tablet? My previous comic bundles had cbz, which is what I'm used to.

TheFlow

Banned
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers #3
And so the secrets finally stop being secrets, and now we going in hard. Rita's not fucking around. Also, props to Zack for not being an idiot and making what is, quite literally the most valid point and observation.

Weavers #1
Boom! has been on a roll with me in the past year. Translucid, Burning Fields, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers has been good, and now this. Really cool first issue, and a fairly interesting concept. Will keep reading. Especially considering it's only six issues.

All-New X-Men #9
You know, I thought the Apocalypse Wars would be super played out and boring, but they've actually been doing a really good job with them. Also, fucking Timestick! Radical!

The Uncanny Inhumans #8
Another artist change? Accompanied by a storyline that...I'll be honest, I don't see this drama as going anywhere interesting. I liked it better when it was just two adults bangin'. "Hey Medusa, it's me Johnny." "Hey Johnny. I'm lonely. Rail me." "Sick." That was my perception of their relationship. I liked that better.

The Ultimates #7
Well fuck, this is actually a really solid foundation of the plot of Civil War 2. I still don't think the event will be any good, if that FCBD issue is any indicator. Also once again, a notion that will stand the test of time and never change, fuck the Shi'ar.
I thought Civil war is about the new inhuman that is about to pop up

DC posted something about Darwyn:

Darwyn Cooke had a vision of the DC Universe that was uniquely his own, yet embraced by everyone. Once you saw his timeless designs and concepts for Batman, Catwoman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern or any other character, you immediately adopted his jubilant interpretation of these heroes as your own and wanted more. His take on the most iconic heroes in the world were breathtakingly direct and elegant, powerful and cool. His were some of the most beautiful, fun DC superhero images we have ever seen.

"Darwyn Cooke lived life like a character from a Micky Spillane novel, a throwback to a bygone era that was, more than occasionally, reflected in his work," said DC Comics Co-Publisher Dan DiDio. "He was both compassionate and combative, approaching everything he did with a tenaciousness and temerity that is now unheard of in a world afraid to offend. The simplistic brilliance of his art and the natural flow of his storytelling not only elevated but enhanced all projects he touched and his passion and love of comics was reflected in every panel of every page. Working with Darwyn was not without its challenges. There were times we'd spend hours arguing over story then go months without talking, but we always found our way back, drawn together by the common bond and friendship comics creates. This is an industry-wide loss that I feel personally, but the sadness is mitigated in the knowing that the beauty and grace of his art will forever stand the test of time and be a monument to all that is great about comics."

Darwyn was one of our medium’s true innovators. A gifted artist and master storyteller, Darwyn began his career as a magazine art director and graphic designer. After answering an ad placed by Warner Bros animator Bruce Timm, Darwyn entered the world of animation, where he contributed to such shows as Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series and Men In Black: The Series. From there, Darwyn made the leap into print comics, where his character design was never more effective, enduring or entrancing. It was the look and honest simplicity of his characters for which Cooke became famous—as first seen in his breakout work Batman: Ego published over 15 years ago today and then followed up by his popular and critically acclaimed work on Catwoman: Selina's Big Score and The Spirit. Even after 15 years, Darwyn's design for Catwoman is still the one used today in both comics and inspired the look for Catwoman on the hit TV show, Gotham.

An Eisner-award winning artist and accomplished writer, Darwyn has been a much-loved and respected member of the comics community. He lent his signature retro style to all corners of the DC Universe, from Jonah Hex to Before Watchmen to Vertigo Comic’s The Twilight Children and, of course, his master work, DC: The New Frontier. His bold, direct style, often compared to the works of Joe Kubert, Alex Toth and Jack Kirby, reflected his down to earth, no nonsense personality. Darwyn Cooke always claimed that he was a lucky man to have such a wonderful family, friends, and such a wonderful life. He lived that life with the same brilliance and fearlessness that so permeated his work. And for those of us who knew this one-of-a-kind and genuine soul, we were lucky as well.

:'(

Actually, just go to the page. They posted a nice gallery of his art, too.

I thought Civil war is about the new inhuman that is about to pop up

Yes, but Carol takes the side of policing future threats, which makes sense given how shaken up she is about the fact that she just saw a bunch of futures where everything gets wrecked. It also provides a strong basis for how Thanos plays a role in the story. In the FCBD preview, they make it seem as though Thanos is coming out of nowhere. The Ultimates shows that to not be true, as he finds out about the new Cosmic Cube being created. Yet another thing Carol is extremely paranoid about.

Rooster12

How is Johns' Teen Titans omnibus? I've heard that you need an understanding of all the events that transpire during the book to understand a lot of what's going on. How does it stand up by itself?

Overrated. Then again I'm not a fan of the Titans either way.

Far from John's best stuff.

TheFlow

Banned
Yes, but Carol takes the side of policing future threats, which makes sense given how shaken up she is about the fact that she just saw a bunch of futures where everything gets wrecked. It also provides a strong basis for how Thanos plays a role in the story. In the FCBD preview, they make it seem as though Thanos is coming out of nowhere. The Ultimates shows that to not be true, as he finds out about the new Cosmic Cube being created. Yet another thing Carol is extremely paranoid about.

Ahhhh gotcha

Anyway just read Silk #1 pre secret wars

glad I am starting with this because it gives an idea of who she is. Crazy that she spent 10 years in a bunker

TheFlow

Banned
As you guys know I spurged on a lot of Marvel books this week but I also got some hc stuff:

Now this is how you do a cover to a book. None of that bland shit from the Gotham Cental Omnibus.

Now this is how you do a cover to a book. None of that bland shit from the Gotham Cental Omnibus.

The iZombie omnibus cover is certainly more interesting from a visual perspective. The Gotham Central cover may not be as exciting but it stays true to the tone of the book and the original design of the individual trade covers.

TheFlow

Banned
The iZombie omnibus cover is certainly more interesting from a visual perspective. The Gotham Central cover may not be as exciting but it stays true to the tone of the book and the original design of the individual trade covers.

The dust jacket for Gotham is nice but the actualy cover is just a black book.

Messi

Patrick Zircher did this as a tribute to Darwyn Cooke

CicFuNOVAAA9GKR.jpg

:(

Unless you can find clean versions without the text, but it really doesn't bother me.

Aight, here ya go. Text free and with text.

Lyz7Gz3.jpg
yYFnVky.jpg

MTXJ6gd.jpg
RwCXnBP.jpg

Because of the way Imgur changed their file formatting *shakes fist at Imgur* you'll need to download 'em and select them off your hard drive rather than linking directly.

tim1138

Aight, here ya go. Text free and with text.

Lyz7Gz3.jpg
yYFnVky.jpg

MTXJ6gd.jpg
RwCXnBP.jpg

Because of the way Imgur changed their file formatting *shakes fist at Imgur* you'll need to download 'em and select them off your hard drive rather than linking directly.

Thanks man!

You know, I don't care what everyone else says about you, I think you're alright. :D

TheFlow

Banned
It's a fabric cover though, isn't it? They can't print on that. It has to be gloss or matte.

LOL far from it. it is just cardboard. I think this is the only DC book I own where there is no artwork on the cover. Even Planetary has it.

For example

Dust jacket removed.

JTripper

I only got into comics a few years ago so I was first introduced to Cooke's work through Before Watchmen, and he was involved with the best of that series (Minutemen and Silk Spectre). I really should read New Frontier because I always loved his art since I first saw it.

LOL far from it. it is just cardboard. I think this is the only DC book I own where there is no artwork on the cover. Even Planetary has it.

Yes, yes. They're all cardboard. But some covers have a fabric exterior. Those you can't really print on. The ones you just posted pics of look like matte covers.

Top Bottom