• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

never-aired-live-action-tv-shows-from-aquaman-to-wonder-woman-blue-bettle-almost-the-498691.jpg

SM1018-0002.jpg

First of all, you should be ashamed for bringing that evil into this house.

Secondly that was a decade ago. And the first never came out. So I'm right anyway, nyah.

I dunno if movies necessarily mean a push in the comics in every way. Still no Shazam title. They might copy aesthetics or line ups like they're doing with squad.

Pls JC you are hurting me deeply. I counted you as one of Zees fans :(

I mean I like her Paul Dini/Grant Morrison written comics as much as the next person, but there's a reason she never solidified into an real ongoing.

Great for team books and one-off minis/OGNs...

Zatanna was one of my favorite characters on Young Justice

it will be different for 6 months until they decide to announce more books. They are going back to basics with rebirth. I don't think this has anything to do with the movies. You just don't announce a bunch of quirky books to go with your big relaunch.

Uh Marvel announced a ton of quirky books for their relaunch

Weirdworld
Howard the Duck
Guardians of Infinity
Red Wolf
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur

And many more

The lack of any such books in Rebirth says a lot about DC's current (lack of) faith in their stable of B-list and C-list characters. Conversely Marvel dug deep for ANAD

Messi

Zatanna was one of my favorite characters on Young Justice

Uh Marvel announced a ton of quirky books for their relaunch

Weirdworld
Howard the Duck
Guardians of Infinity
Red Wolf
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur

And many more

The lack of any such books in Rebirth says a lot about DC's current (lack of) faith in their stable of B-list and C-list characters. Conversely Marvel dug deep for ANAD

Look what is about to happen to most of those books...it hasn't worked.

Wierdworld
Guardians
Red Wolf
Moon Girl

Those books are dead as can be they are just waiting for the reaper. Howard isn't far behind.

The reason DC isn't doing quirky books is because they just tried DCYou and it face planted. That was a bunch of quirky books. They failed. That was mostly DCs fault but the customers didn't go for it either.

actually why did they pair up Black Canary and Zatanna in that thing anyways

is it because they both wear fishnets

ps: this is the best zatanna panel

I'd assume it was because that was the characters Dini wanted to use.

Look what is about to happen to most of those books

Wierdworld
Guardians
Red Wolf
Moon Girl

Those books are dead as can be they are just waiting for the reaper. Howard isn't far behind.

Okay well let's look at a success story: The Vision.

Now, some may say that this is neither a risky book nor a quirky book because the character is now enshrined in the MCU Avengers, but a book that takes such a different direction renders him effectively unrecognizable to movie-going audiences and is therefore both of those things. And it is a huge critical success.

Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl were quirky, risky successes too, it's just too much of a stretch to say they were so at the beginning of ANAD; there was an audience for both of them by that time.

I'd rather both companies take risks often and succeed occasionally than not take risks at all. In fact I believe this is a vital component of Big 2 health. You might be right, there might be more risky books down the line, what I'm saying is I do think we can make inferences about their lack of confidence from the initial lineup. Edit: And yes I do think DCYou was a major cause of this

When is Chew #60 scheduled for btw?

As for Rebirth - We get 10+ monthly batman&derivatives and 10+ Superman&derivatives books and 0 Plastic Man books. -_-

The reason DC isn't doing quirky books is because they just tried DCYou and it face planted. That was a bunch of quirky books. They failed. That was mostly DCs fault but the customers didn't go for it either.

Most of those attempts just seemed so half-assed. As if they themselves didn't think it would work.

At the minimum DC could have kept their promise of 12 issues instead of flaking on that. That way, the readers would at least have some trust and would want to try out the next round of new #1s.

TheFlow

Banned
I rather DC actually try like Marvel and release these obscoure books than say " there is no audience for them"

Which they have done with NEW 52 and seem to be doing with Rebirth.

Marvel gave us Power Man and Iron fist along with Moon Knight so I can't complain.

Messi

When is Chew #60 scheduled for btw?

As for Rebirth - We get 10+ monthly batman&derivatives and 10+ Superman&derivatives books and 0 Plastic Man books. -_-

Most of those attempts just seemed so half-assed. As if they themselves didn't think it would work.

At the minimum DC could have kept their promise of 12 issues instead of flaking on that. That way, the readers would at least have some trust and would want to try out the next round of new #1s.

I feel like every DC You title made it to 12. They tried to cancel Omega Men but they brought it back and it got to 12. The rest are finishing up soon.

DC gave us Prez. That isn't quirky?

Sandfox

I feel like every DC You title made it to 12. They tried to cancel Omega Men but they brought it back and it got to 12. The rest are finishing up soon.

Doomed didn't make it alongside some other books that DC claimed were always supposed to be mini series despite them never saying so.

I don't really get why they made that promise.

Nitpicking, but I wouldn't really call another Guardians book really quirky or risky nowadays

Eh, I would. The cast is mostly made up of obscure/new characters, and the fact that they kept it at two stories/five bucks every issue was a considerable risk. I think the fact that they felt they always needed a backup story with the standard GotG cast speaks volumes to the level of quirk in the main lineup.

VanWinkle

Well, Gotham Academy is still going to be around (after a break, I think?)

I am not saying DC doesn't have quirky books. Their press focus and flakiness (Omega Men canceled! Not Cancelled! Prez is 12 issues! Prez is now a 6 issue mini! No wait, it is now a 12 issue run split into two minis!) just makes me think anything outside of Batman/Superman/Green Lantern is just an afterthought for the current editorial team.

At least they seem to be letting Way do his own thing with Young Animal. Hopefully they give him some runway on time and resources too.

Messi

Eh, I would. The cast is mostly made up of obscure/new characters, and the fact that they kept it at two stories/five bucks every issue was a considerable risk. I think the fact that they felt they always needed a backup story with the standard GotG cast speaks volumes to the level of quirk in the main lineup.

Putting in the cast members people know removes the risk imo.

That and the fact that 6 of the 8 covers prominently feature Rocket/Groot/Drax just incase people missed them.

Well, Gotham Academy is still going to be around (after a break, I think?)

Prez is coming back for another 6 issues too.

It aint a karnak book. It's a warren ellis book. That's the appeal.

If superstar creator + obscure character were a recipe for guaranteed success I think it would happen more often.

I love Ellis but I still didn't stick out Karnak past #1 because the character is so unappealing to me. It IS, ultimately, a Karnak book. Just as Ellis' Moon Knight was absolutely a Moon Knight book; he put a clever spin on the character's existing traits and history, but he treated those things with respect. He didn't reinvent him from square one.

Putting in the cast members people know removes the risk imo.

Apparently not, because the book has failed.

Messi

If superstar creator + obscure character were a recipe for guaranteed success I think it would happen more often.

I love Ellis but I still didn't stick out Karnak past #1 because the character is so unappealing to me. It IS, ultimately, a Karnak book. Just as Ellis' Moon Knight was absolutely a Moon Knight book; he put a clever spin on the character's existing traits and history, but he treated those things with respect. He didn't reinvent him from square one.

Apparently not, because the book has failed.

The book failed because its pointless and is $5 an issue. How do you think that book would have done without the characters the people recognize?

Messi

Oh, is it really? That's awesome!

Yeah they split it into 2 minis as they wanted to come back for the election stuff in winter. It is not known if Ben Caldwell will be coming back as he went to Marvel to do the art on A-Force. But I hope he does. His art was great in Prez. Fun book.

The book failed because its pointless and is $5 an issue. How do you think that book would have done without the characters the people recognize?

Probably worse, but I feel at this point we are measuring "risky" versus "less risky but risky nonetheless" and I'm not sure why?

A $5 Guardians book starring a handful of recognizable Guardians and a whole lot of obscure ones is a risky proposition.

It is a recipe for raising initial sales. Nothing more.

Very few would risk a new karnak book, precisely because, as you've just mentioned, the character is obscure. Much like how very few would've given Moon Knight another shot, were ellis not involved. Put ellis or bendis on that book tho, and, at least for a short while, you've raised interest.

Alas, superstars are a very rare breed.

VanWinkle

Yeah they split it into 2 minis as they wanted to come back for the election stuff in winter. It is not known if Ben Caldwell will be coming back as he went to Marvel to do the art on A-Force. But I hope he does. His art was great in Prez. Fun book.

I love fun books. They make me happy.

Messi

Probably worse, but I feel at this point we are measuring "risky" versus "less risky but risky nonetheless" and I'm not sure why?

A $5 Guardians book starring a handful of recognizable Guardians and a whole lot of obscure ones is a risky proposition.

I just don't see any guardians book as a risk nowadays. At the very least they get a huge issue 1 and 2 bump that most obscure books don't get just because guardians is on the cover. Look how many Guardians books Marvel have launched in the past 3 years. Its insane and they have more to come. They have a Groot book where the doesn't even talk.

VanWinkle

lol I love Injustice. I couldn't wait for the Year Two Complete Collection sine it's like seven months away or something crazy like that so I just had to buy the Year Two Vol 1 TPB.

UjA7DC4.jpg

I rather DC actually try like Marvel and release these obscoure books than say " there is no audience for them"

Which they have done with NEW 52 and seem to be doing with Rebirth.

Marvel gave us Power Man and Iron fist along with Moon Knight so I can't complain.

The New 52 had a ton of niche titles, and not just less well known superheroes but other genres like war comics and the medieval Demon Knights. Some were critically successful but none had great sales and were among the first cancelled.

Okay well let's look at a success story: The Vision.

106 VISION #5 $3.99 18,636

Putting the hottest young writer in the industry on a book that sells at cancellation level by issue #5 isn't generally considered a success.

Messi

Ann Nocenti will rise again.

I would like to see her come back but I think how last job and the Catwoman stuff went so poorly that she might not come back.

She is doing a lecture tour last I seen for a documentary she directed after the earthquake in Haiti in 2010

Discussing comic sales in 2016 is as pointless as discussing TV ratings. Three to five books crack six figures each month. Everything else steadily declines into oblivion, until the inevitable reboot/rebirth gimmick.

Sales have zero bearing on the quality of a comic. Nothing sells, aside from Batman, TWD, and Star Wars.

106 VISION #5 $3.99 18,636

Putting the hottest young writer in the industry on a book that sells at cancellation level by issue #5 isn't generally considered a success.

QZOy3wE.gif

Well, I did clarify later in my post that I was mostly talking about its critical reception (as that was my only point of reference since I'm too lazy to look up sales numbers), but I won't pretend that isn't disappointing to read. I concede the point.

Why aren't you guys buying Vision, I thought we had all agreed to buy Vision

Just read Thunderbolts #1

Pretty meh

I thought it sucked hard

I think it's my least favorite ANAD book, behind Hyperion

Nearly done with Ferals and... i don't think i've ever read a comic that so actively hates women.

Fucking hell, every single one is legit reduced to a fucktoy, to be dismembered and or disemboweled in due time.

Nearly done with Ferals and... i don't think i've ever read a comic that so actively hates women.

Fucking hell, every single one is legit reduced to a fucktoy, to be dismembered and or disemboweled in due time.

I just looked up a few previews on Google Images... I shouldn't have.

Top Bottom