• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

I discovered the Parker novels a few years back, and loved them. I had already loved that genre and type of crime fiction thriller, and Parker was like seeing the ancestor of Jack Reacher and similar characters. Each book was efficient and precise, just like its main character. And Parker was such a fascinating protagonist: ruthless, uncompromising, focused, smart,

Finally picked up the comics today, and I'm in love with the character and stories all over again. The comics capture everything that made the novels great, a perfect translation from print to panel

Bii

Finally got to see Captain America: Civil War. It was a blast. Loved how everyone in the movie got some good screen time. I knew it was going to happen and now I'm browsing to see which Hot Toys I want to get. :X

diaspora

Is it just me or does Carol's righteous outrage about incessant Cosmic Cube tomfoolery make her pretty entertaining to read now? It was boring when she was just acting as muscle or an enforcer but having her trying to juggle alien shenanigans as ambassador while also trying to put out Cosmic Cube fires is great.

Oh damn, just realized Darwyn Cooke was the guy behind Parker

We should do a book club for the series, so more people can learn about them and appreciate his work

diaspora

Incidentally, it seems that the two "sides" in Civil War too are at least on the outset somewhat more reasonable than what they seem. Between Shi'ar fuckery, SHIELD Cosmic Cube fuckery, PEGASUS Cosmic Cube/ ISO fuckery, and Galactus showing her the flow of time as he sees it, I'm not unsympathetic to Carol maybe wanting to use someone's ability to see the future.

oni_saru

Hello comic-gaf! I'm slowly getting into comics. I don't know if i posted in one of these official threads before. But wanted to post some small thoughts.

After a guy at the local comic bookshop recommended Geoff Johns GL run, i got Rebirth, No Fear, and Sinestro Corps War today. They had a pretty good sale so i said why not. Got GL Secret Origins last week and liked that one.

Just finished Rebirth. Didn't like how much of an asshole Batman was in this. Haha. But overall good book. Thought Hal's revival was done pretty good. I was a bit confused on who/wtf The Spectre is. By the end, i think i sort of got what his purpose was.

Hopefully the other two books are just as good. I've heard Sinestro Corps War is really good.

So is Geoff Johns GL run the best out there or is there something better?

oni_saru

That's a pretty safe opinion. His run takes up A LOT of the past ten years of GL. I think they have three 1000+ page omnibus volumes out at present of just the Johns stuff.
Yeah i didn't realize his run ran for 10 years!!! Gahh. I should have looked more into it before starting this collection!

Nice to finally have a Mexican working on Rat Queens. I hope you do well. Zombeen tells me your art is terrible though. so...:/
My art is like a mix of Erica Henderson, Frank Quitely and Igor Kordey

currently have a special going on, buy one burn one free
I heard Ed kicks puppies. Will not buy
I jumped off the train when he filed his taxes late. Fucking shameless, that dude. Ill never drop a $0.99 + tax on his ass again

Well shit

if you buy it, you support the creation of a domestic abuser. But if you don't buy it, you're not supporting a Mexican. Which makes you a racist.

Choose wisely

aka the Edmondson/Red Wolf conundrum aka Schrödinger's bullshit

To commemorate another year on the planet, my wife got me some good stuff:
-edit-

why the fuck can't I post images on mobile GAF anymore?
Forgot to wish you a happy birthday. I hope it was a good one. Here is a video that describes what I think your life is like

george_us

Incidentally, it seems that the two "sides" in Civil War too are at least on the outset somewhat more reasonable than what they seem. Between Shi'ar fuckery, SHIELD Cosmic Cube fuckery, PEGASUS Cosmic Cube/ ISO fuckery, and Galactus showing her the flow of time as he sees it, I'm not unsympathetic to Carol maybe wanting to use someone's ability to see the future.
Is Civil War II less trash than the first one so far?

Zombine

Banned
They did? Looks like they lost steam

3Gpey.jpg

TheFlow

Banned
Considering the route many indie game threads go over on Gaming side, 4/6 pages of discussion is pretty successful IMO

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=955039
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1047439

And plus, I imagine with Cooke's passing, now would be a time that more people than usual would want to check out his work. Which they should. Because Parker is fantastic
Lol make the thread. But one does escape the fate that is a comic book club

imagine a comic so cool that Darwyn Cooke/Paul Pope/Phillip Bond are the fill-in artists
Whaat, Bond does some work? That's awesome.
When it comes to Hellboy and quality, you never gotta detail what part you're reading. It will be, at the very least, good.

Srsly, mignolaverse is freaking ridiculous

I think early BPRD was a little rough, but once they settled on Mignola/Arcudi/Davis it became amazing

Everything I've read has been incredible. Really looking forward to starting Hell on Earth when I can. Hellboy in Hell has been such a delight so far.

Oh fucking hell, way you all were talking about lazarus, i also assumed it was concluded. Just finished 21. The fuck have i done to myself

gabbo

So glad I was able to finally make it to TCAF this year after 9 non-consecutive years in Toronto. Some really good small time publishers and indie stuff.

Owzers

I miss binging on Game of Thrones season 5 when there was a free hbo weekend, watching one episode a week during my HBO Now free trial month is for suckers, similar to reading monthly comics...

frye

Reading childrens crusade. This is not a good book. The og young avengers book was good. What happened here?

Heinberg essentially sabotages Children's Crusade because it's not so much a sequel to Young Avengers as it is an attempt to rehabilitate Scarlet Witch after she got Bendis'd in House of M, so a lot of it is continuity nonsense (Remender is interested in doing something similar with Wanda in Uncanny Avengers but pulls it off a bit better)

also it focuses on Wiccan, clearly the worst Young Avenger

VanWinkle

Halfway through Injustice Year Two Vol. 1. Man.

The only thing I hate about this series is that it's way too good. Like WAY better than it has any right to be.

Nailbiter v1

I like how they deal with the obvious parallels to silence of the lambs.

Also that this book is popular here and so many of you have a problem with Avatar Press levels of gore makes no sense whatsoever.

Halfway through Injustice Year Two Vol. 1. Man.

The only thing I hate about this series is that it's way too good. Like WAY better than it has any right to be.

Oh don't you worry, the quality will nosedive quite a bit after Tom Taylor drops writing duties and Buccelatto takes over.

Top Bottom