• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

I always like to think Batman is 30-something, probably because he's such an authority figure and so experienced. Like maybe he was 12 when his parents died, did high school, went away to a fancy foreign college to learn Business so he can take over the family business(and train in his off hours cuz he didnt need money to work), came back at like 21 and thats when Batman Year One starts. Like he's probably in Batman: Year 15 or some shit by now.

Going by Snyder's run you're about on point but Death of the Family was apparently 6 years after Zero Year or this Batman's origin.

Yep. The compression of the timeline results in some very very strange things.

I mean, I can kind of start to rationalize it in my head but it still seems weird. Dick was an older Robin, Jason died soon after starting, Tim was a short term Robin before going with Teen Titans and Damian was really the only long term Robin, but still...

Owzers

I'm looking forward to thunder/warriors, will it be the thunder that tends to disappoint? Also, people have to watch the Raptors for another series :(

I always like to think Batman is 30-something, probably because he's such an authority figure and so experienced. Like maybe he was 12 when his parents died, did high school, went away to a fancy foreign college to learn Business so he can take over the family business(and train in his off hours cuz he didnt need money to work), came back at like 21 and thats when Batman Year One starts. Like he's probably in Batman: Year 15 or some shit by now.

So you think it is some sort of, shall we say, sliding timescale?

More Suicide Squad books comin'

SUICIDE SQUAD MOST WANTED: EL DIABLO AND BOOMERANG #1 begins a new monthly six-issue mini-series on August 10th featuring a lead story starring El Diablo written by Jai Nitz and a series of shorter second features by writers graduating from the just-completed inaugural class of DC’s Writers Workshop. Issues 1-2 will feature Boomerang (SUICIDE SQUAD MOST WANTED: EL DIABLO AND BOOMERANG) by Michael Moreci, issues 3-4 will feature Killer Croc (SUICIDE SQUAD MOST WANTED: EL DIABLO AND KILLER CROC) by Chris Sebela and issues 5-6 will feature Amanda Waller (SUICIDE SQUAD MOST WANTED: EL DIABLO AND AMANDA WALLER) by Vita Ayala.

And we’re not stopping there! John Ostrander returns to the Task Force X for the first time in a decade to tell one of his boldest and bloodiest stories ever in the one-shot SUICIDE SQUAD: WAR CRIMES SPECIAL #1 on August 31st. The writer who started a revolution returns!

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Signed up for my free 14 days of Scribd to go through some Valiant stuff. I'm following this reading order, I'm up to Harbinger Wars, so I've mostly just read X-O Manowar, Bloodshot and Harbinger.

Of the three, Harbinger is probably my favorite. It's pretty hard to not fall in love with Faith. Bloodshot is more interesting than I thought it would be, based on the design alone, I thought it was going to be a Japanese Punisher knock-off but the stuff with the nanites has been cool, and the connections with the other books is paying off nicely.

X-O is all right, but I feel like it took a long time to set up, and now that Planet Death is done, it can finally get into the groove of telling more interesting stories.

Once I'm done with Harbinger Wars, I get back into Archer and Armstrong, which I'm looking forward to based on the first issue that I got earlier.

Valiant: Not so bad.

also it focuses on Wiccan, clearly the worst Young Avenger

Come on, we all know that Speed is the worst Young Avenger.

New Ostrander Suicide Squad One-Shot HYPE.

Definitely.

In other news Terry Moore is doing a story in the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers annual.

"Mighty Morphin Power Rangers 2016 Annual" will contain short stories focusing on classic MMPR villains (like Goldar) as well as supporting characters (Bulk and Skull). The anthology will feature work from Kyle Higgins, who writes BOOM!'s monthly "Power Rangers" ongoing, as well as stories by Terry Moore ("Strangers in Paradise"), Rob Guillory ("Chew"), James Kochalka ("Monkey vs. Robot") and more.

MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS 2016 ANNUAL
Retail Price: $7.99

Writers: Jorge Corona, James Kochalka, Terry Moore, Ross Thibodeaux, Kyle Higgins, and more

Artists: Jorge Corona, James Kochalka, Terry Moore, Rob Guillory, Rod Reis, and more

Cover Artists:

Main Cover: Goñi Montes

Incentive Cover 1: Richard Chang

Acetate Incentive Cover 2: George Caltsoudas

Synopsis:

  •  Comics creators come together to celebrate their mutual love of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers!

  •  From short stories like “The Origin of Goldar” to “What Would Happen If Bulk and Skull Became Rangers?”, this oversized anthology collection features contributions from creators like Terry Moore (Strangers in Paradise), Rob Guillory (Chew), James Kochalka (Monkey vs Robot), and more!

  •  40 pages of new story and art!

Signed up for my free 14 days of Scribd to go through some Valiant stuff. I'm following this reading order, I'm up to Harbinger Wars, so I've mostly just read X-O Manowar, Bloodshot and Harbinger.

Of the three, Harbinger is probably my favorite. It's pretty hard to not fall in love with Faith. Bloodshot is more interesting than I thought it would be, based on the design alone, I thought it was going to be a Japanese Punisher knock-off but the stuff with the nanites has been cool, and the connections with the other books is paying off nicely.

X-O is all right, but I feel like it took a long time to set up, and now that Planet Death is done, it can finally get into the groove of telling more interesting stories.

Once I'm done with Harbinger Wars, I get back into Archer and Armstrong, which I'm looking forward to based on the first issue that I got earlier.

Valiant: Not so bad.

This is pretty much 100% in line with what I thought reading the line: Harbinger is very much the best of the original bunch of Valiant titles while X-O starts out fairly rough and only really finds its feet late in/after the whole long origin story. Not gonna lie, the first year or two worth of stuff from modern Valiant was pretty iffy at times although these days it seems like everything they put out is pretty decent at minimum.

Vic_Viper

So we will get an OHC of the series?

Seems like he has taken on too much work so ending for now is understandable. I'd rather he take breaks and let the quality bar stay as high as it is.

What else has Remmender been working on? Seems like he's stopped doing books at Marvel and has just been on Tokyo Ghost and Low from what I can tell.

Plus Remender has that new fantasy book with Opena starting up this fall.
We know Remender can juggle multiple books with ease. It has to be because of Murphy.
wait what
l9wfBS6.jpg

frye

it's kinda wild that Sean Murphy has basically done a mini a year for the last, what 6? years outside of the typical work for hire system and they're all kinda... not good (sorry Punk Rock Jesus acolytes)

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
This is pretty much 100% in line with what I thought reading the line: Harbinger is very much the best of the original bunch of Valiant titles while X-O starts out fairly rough and only really finds its feet late in/after the whole long origin story. Not gonna lie, the first year or two worth of stuff from modern Valiant was pretty iffy at times although these days it seems like everything they put out is pretty decent at minimum.

That's good to hear. I'm looking forward to Quantum and Woody, the preview has started popping up and it looks like fun.

diaspora

In hindsight, Spider-Man's inclusion on Carol's side makes sense as he's been battling Zodiac who had future sight and their leader is thrown a year into the future.

it's kinda wild that Sean Murphy has basically done a mini a year for the last, what 6? years outside of the typical work for hire system and they're all kinda... not good (sorry Punk Rock Jesus acolytes)
Hmm
Punk Rock Jesus
AmVamp mini
The Wake
Joe the Barbarian
Chrononauts
Tokyo Ghost

Hmm i think you might be kind of right. Those arent huge critical darlings outside of PRJ. Which is kind of funny considering how hes only worked with top writers

Top Bottom